Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Twitter campaign is a fail

Started by HogFather1, February 04, 2016, 01:21:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

secneahog

Amazing class we signed.  Robb Smith was very excited.  We addressed our needs in a big way.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

southarkhog06

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on February 04, 2016, 09:46:35 am
No!  No way!
How else could you detach from real life and engage in complete, pure narcissism?
Social media, to include ''selfies'' is just fantastic!  How could mankind have existed without this level of self absorption?
You're delusional.

P.S.
Real life's getting revenge.
According to recent studies, people aged 16-30 have less social grace, fewer friends and are less likely to have long-term relationships with a partner.
Yay excessive social media!

I'd +1 you every time I saw you if I could.
Thats only true if you can prove social media is the sole culprit, there are so many thousands of variable that go into "social grace", "number of friends" and "long-term relationships" that it is impossible to say for certain it is social media's fault. It could also have alot to do witht education nowdays taking its emphasis away from interacting with others, and putting it on burrying your head in books and locking yourself in your room so you can finish the stupid amount of homework you have.

JayBell

Quote from: ricepig on February 04, 2016, 10:56:53 amAnd it's great to have someone explain to me what my kids do. When you have kids and are a parent, get back with me.

Secondhand knowledge > firsthand knowledge.  The Hogville way.

Pork Twain

Quote from: baitshop on February 04, 2016, 09:21:40 am
You should shoot off a tweet to our coaching staff to let them know how "creepy" that they are....

SMH
Their contact is for the purpose of getting them to play for them for the next 3-4 years.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

JayBell

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 04, 2016, 12:51:47 pmTheir contact is for the purpose of getting them to play for them for the next 3-4 years.

There's also a reason to build those relationships because, if they commit, they'd be working closely together for the next 3-4 years.

A random person is just a random person.  That's precisely what makes it creepy.

PorkRinds

You guys can all it creepy all day long, and I rarely ever tweet at a recruit.  I do retweet them occasionally.  But if the kids themselves thought it was creepy they wouldn't try to get more followers and they'd set their accounts to private.  And if they thought it was creepy, they wouldn't retweet so much stuff from hog fans.  Does it help?  Probably not with most.  But if nothing else it keeps our team in their minds and shows them we have a supportive fan base.  I'll take that and not worry about people thinking it's weird because honestly, no one cares enough to tweet at you, so that's why you don't get it.

hawginbigd1

Pork Twain

Quote from: JayBell on February 04, 2016, 12:52:23 pm
There's also a reason to build those relationships because, if they commit, they'd be working closely together for the next 3-4 years.

A random person is just a random person.  That's precisely what makes it creepy.
Sadly many adult males on Hogville seem to have an unavoidable desire to follow teenaged boys on twitter, trying to get them to commit.  That is a fair description and creepy sounding
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

ricepig

Quote from: JayBell on February 04, 2016, 12:43:43 pm
Secondhand knowledge > firsthand knowledge.  The Hogville way.

First hand knowledge as a parent> second hand knowledge as someone without the experience. The youth way.

GoHogzzGo

Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

Huds_HawgTide

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 04, 2016, 12:56:02 pm
You guys can all it creepy all day long, and I rarely ever tweet at a recruit.  I do retweet them occasionally.  But if the kids themselves thought it was creepy they wouldn't try to get more followers and they'd set their accounts to private.  And if they thought it was creepy, they wouldn't retweet so much stuff from hog fans.  Does it help?  Probably not with most.  But if nothing else it keeps our team in their minds and shows them we have a supportive fan base.  I'll take that and not worry about people thinking it's weird because honestly, no one cares enough to tweet at you, so that's why you don't get it.

Another good point
"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

hawginbigd1

CKA don't come out with the B-slap right away dude! the longer I think about this the bigger my smile! :razorback:

JayBell

Quote from: ricepig on February 04, 2016, 12:55:34 pmFirst hand knowledge as a parent> second hand knowledge as someone without the experience. The youth way.

I'm not talking about secondhand knowledge.  My information is firsthand.  Your firsthand knowledge as a parent is secondhand by definition.  You think you know more about kids than someone who was a kid with modern technology.

ricepig

Quote from: JayBell on February 04, 2016, 01:04:28 pm
I'm not talking about secondhand knowledge.  My information is firsthand.  Your firsthand knowledge as a parent is secondhand by definition.  You think you know more about kids than someone who was a kid with modern technology.

How is my knowing what my children prefer second-hand, I see it every day, we live it. Don't pretend to tell me what they prefer, they're not you, thank God.

PorkRinds

And we all thought coach B was a brash guy that's not afraid to tell it like it is.  Seems like Kurt Anderson is like coach B with less of a filter.  I like it!

jkstock04

Quote from: AP85 on February 04, 2016, 07:07:22 am
Yup. Nothing attractive about adult men harassing and following kids on Twitter 24/7. Just weird.
Agreed...it is embarrassing to think about. But, I take some solace in knowing we aren't the only fan base that does this. I can easily picture idiot 40-50 year old Bama fans tweeting a 17 year old being bigger loons than our fans.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

AirWarren

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 04, 2016, 12:56:02 pm

I don't tweet so who gives a rats tail if someone retweets me? Or whatever that means. I don't speak this weird language.

PorkRinds

Quote from: AP85 on February 04, 2016, 02:57:18 pm
I don't tweet so who gives a rats tail if someone retweets me? Or whatever that means. I don't speak this weird language.

That's why you don't get it.  Unless you say something creepy, recruits aren't going to think it's creepy.  They like it.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: southarkhog06 on February 04, 2016, 12:42:14 pm
Thats only true if you can prove social media is the sole culprit, there are so many thousands of variable that go into "social grace", "number of friends" and "long-term relationships" that it is impossible to say for certain it is social media's fault. It could also have alot to do witht education nowdays taking its emphasis away from interacting with others, and putting it on burrying your head in books and locking yourself in your room so you can finish the stupid amount of homework you have.

Good points, but the studies used different techniques to isolate the problems as best as they could.  I'm sure there are other factors as well, but by all current evidence, social media/text messaging/emailing is a major factor in these issues at the very least.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

SpineHog

BB addressed Twitter at the Signing Day in the Rock this evening. Basically, he has heard 'great feedback from a lot of recruits' about the fanbase's Twitter activity. "I tell ya, nothing makes those kids' eyes light up like getting a hog offer & blowing up by 400 followers in the span of a couple hours." He also encouraged fans to tweet positive things like 'hope you enjoy visiting the Hill' to recruits thinking about visiting or on visit weekends.

So. For what that's worth. CBB find positive use of Twitter very beneficial, even just in making a recruit feel positive vibes for the school & its support.

PorkRinds

Quote from: SpineHog on February 04, 2016, 08:23:55 pm
BB addressed Twitter at the Signing Day in the Rock this evening. Basically, he has heard 'great feedback from a lot of recruits' about the fanbase's Twitter activity. "I tell ya, nothing makes those kids' eyes light up like getting a hog offer & blowing up by 400 followers in the span of a couple hours." He also encouraged fans to tweet positive things like 'hope you enjoy visiting the Hill' to recruits thinking about visiting or on visit weekends.

So. For what that's worth. CBB find positive use of Twitter very beneficial, even just in making a recruit feel positive vibes for the school & its support.

Sorry, the experts have spoken. CBB doesn't know what he's talking about.

The_Hog_Father

There is nothing creepier in this thread than Pork Twain's avatar of him in his shower...  :puke:

Stones... Glass Houses and all.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: SpineHog on February 04, 2016, 08:23:55 pm

Where al you bunch DAs go ahead and tell CBB he is creepy! SMDH! This isn't the first time he has said this!

nationwish

The creepiest thing I've seen our fans do, by far, is the way they talk about the before and after pics of the players after their strength program.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: HogFries on February 04, 2016, 07:22:27 am
Wow.  It has finally happened.  I have officially lost all hope for humanity.  You sir(OP) are a sad person.  I don't know how our fan base is on twitter, because I do not twitter.  If it is anything like imagine yours is, it screams of despair and loneliness.  Will your life be that much fuller if you get that 18yr old kid to retweet you?  Really.  You would be better of creeping on some SI swimsuit model on there.  There has been recruiting for over 100 years in college football.  Many of those years were before your time.  Certainly before twitter.  Recruiting will go on long after you are gone.  I have learned that it is much easier to enjoy football when you dont get so wrapped up in all of this.  Yes I am on here to follow whats going on.  Can I do a damn thing about it....NOPE.  Go enjoy the day.  Worry about things you can control.
I just have one, single question: There's something wrong with creeping on some SI swimsuit model ???  Who the heck thinks that ::) :P

Boardon Hamsay

I try to follow a couple rules the few times I use social media.  First, keep political and/or religious views offline.  Second and as it relates to following and tweeting recruits, say it out loud before you do it and see if you still want to do it after you hear it.

Heck, include an honest self introduction when you say it out loud if you need to understand how creepy it may be perceived. If you say something like, "My name is Lars, I'm 36, single, currently have Cheetos stains on my shirt and I'm kind of searching for a conceivable reason for getting out of bed each morning but for now, I'd really like you to join our football program..." you shouldn't tweet a recruit....or follow a recruit....or procreate....just face it, you need to address a few "you problems".
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

lefty08

People are scared of what they don't understand. It's easier to talk trash about it than learn
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

HogFries

Quote from: HogFather1 on February 04, 2016, 01:21:29 am
We are supposedly one of the most active fan bases when it comes to Twitter.  We are always encouraging recruits and blowing up their feed, all in the name of "showing the love".
We let the recruits stroke us to gain more followers.  The recruits are retweeting mostly Razorback stuff...sending out the razorback emojis, etc.

Then, we turn around and don't get a single one of the "high profile" guys from the last 2 weeks of visits. Not a single one.
Point being: It's safe to say that our "Twitter Strategy" as fans is ineffective. It's a fail. So stop. Just stop

Let me start by saying that I am an ass.  I apologize to you directly.  I misread what you were saying and went on a lack of sleep, coffee induced rant.

Pork Twain

Quote from: lefty08 on February 04, 2016, 09:30:19 pm
People are scared of what they don't understand. It's easier to talk trash about it than learn
I have to teenaged daughters and know all about social media.  That being said, it is creepy how many adults stalk teenaged boys on twitter.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 05, 2016, 06:07:37 am
I have to teenaged daughters and know all about social media.  That being said, it is creepy how many adults stalk teenaged boys on twitter.

It's not actually stalking when the recruits encourage it.  If they didn't want the attention, they'd set their profiles to private.  Stalking implies there's a victim.  There is none in this case.  It's mutually beneficial.

southarkhog06

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on February 04, 2016, 03:25:15 pm
Good points, but the studies used different techniques to isolate the problems as best as they could.  I'm sure there are other factors as well, but by all current evidence, social media/text messaging/emailing is a major factor in these issues at the very least.
It is obviously a major factor, I just get tired of these old guys in here saying all the problems in the world are my lazy generation and social media's fault. (not you specifically).

Hell, I dont even have a social media act. exept for this one, but the old guy soapbox rants get really old really fast. (once again not directed at you).

PorkRinds

Quote from: southarkhog06 on February 05, 2016, 08:37:28 am
It is obviously a major factor, I just get tired of these old guys in here saying all the problems in the world are my lazy generation and social media's fault. (not you specifically).

Hell, I dont even have a social media act. exept for this one, but the old guy soapbox rants get really old really fast. (once again not directed at you).

Let me remind the old guy soap box crowd of something.  If you don't like the younger generations, guess what, it's your fault! You raised us!  So if you don't like the younger generation's values system or the way they act, look in the mirror.  Because they are YOUR kids and grandkids.  If you don't like it, you should have done a better job.

Pork Twain

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 05, 2016, 08:28:51 am
It's not actually stalking when the recruits encourage it.  If they didn't want the attention, they'd set their profiles to private.  Stalking implies there's a victim.  There is none in this case.  It's mutually beneficial.
So as long as the youngsters like what you are doing, it is ok.

texas tush hog

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 05, 2016, 08:39:43 am
Let me remind the old guy soap box crowd of something.  If you don't like the younger generations, guess what, it's your fault! You raised us!  So if you don't like the younger generation's values system or the way they act, look in the mirror.  Because they are YOUR kids and grandkids.  If you don't like it, you should have done a better job.

Why do you have to go and inject some common sense into this discussion?

Pork Twain

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 05, 2016, 08:39:43 am
I have no problem with younger kids doing this.  I find it disturbing when people my age do it, I am 40.

Cure

Lol, I mean it works to a degree, but most of the time it is pretty creepy.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.