Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Twitter campaign is a fail

Started by HogFather1, February 04, 2016, 01:21:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HogFather1

We are supposedly one of the most active fan bases when it comes to Twitter.  We are always encouraging recruits and blowing up their feed, all in the name of "showing the love".
We let the recruits stroke us to gain more followers.  The recruits are retweeting mostly Razorback stuff...sending out the razorback emojis, etc.

Then, we turn around and don't get a single one of the "high profile" guys from the last 2 weeks of visits. Not a single one.
Point being: It's safe to say that our "Twitter Strategy" as fans is ineffective. It's a fail. So stop. Just stop

sickboy

You think there's a "Twitter Strategy" that we Hog fans have dreamed up and implemented in unison? Really?

redeye

Quote from: sickboy on February 04, 2016, 01:22:32 am
You think there's a "Twitter Strategy" that we Hog fans have dreamed up and implemented in unison? Really?

This!

Plus, are you seriously basing that off not getting a high-profile recruit over the last 2 weeks?  Go back to MMQB.

HogFather1

No, of course it wasn't a strategy that was dreamed up in unison. Don't be ridiculous. 
But our fan base does take pride in how active we are on Twitter.
I just pose a simple question: Has it helped us?

Hognspace

SemperFi

I don't follow recruits nor will I allow myself to be part of the game that they play with the fan bases. I do, however follow our coaches and a few of the players just to stay on top of things. I honestly do not feel that tweeting recruits helps at all. When they sign that LOI to be a Razorback it's cool to send them a congrats and a welcome to the Razorback family, but I leave the rest of it up to the coaches.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

respirback

AirWarren

Quote from: SA Hog Fan on February 04, 2016, 06:50:42 am
And a little creepy

Yup. Nothing attractive about adult men harassing and following kids on Twitter 24/7. Just weird.

wpswillriseagain

As a college kid myself, it is one thing to retweet or favorite a tweet. But when you comment on everything a kid posts it's annoying and does not help us out at all. I have never tweeted a recruit and never will. I have tweeted current players but only a handful of times and never when they were recruits.

HogFries

Wow.  It has finally happened.  I have officially lost all hope for humanity.  You sir(OP) are a sad person.  I don't know how our fan base is on twitter, because I do not twitter.  If it is anything like imagine yours is, it screams of despair and loneliness.  Will your life be that much fuller if you get that 18yr old kid to retweet you?  Really.  You would be better of creeping on some SI swimsuit model on there.  There has been recruiting for over 100 years in college football.  Many of those years were before your time.  Certainly before twitter.  Recruiting will go on long after you are gone.  I have learned that it is much easier to enjoy football when you dont get so wrapped up in all of this.  Yes I am on here to follow whats going on.  Can I do a damn thing about it....NOPE.  Go enjoy the day.  Worry about things you can control. 

SA Hog Fan

Quote from: HogFries on February 04, 2016, 07:22:27 am
Wow.  It has finally happened.  I have officially lost all hope for humanity.  You sir(OP) are a sad person.  I don't know how our fan base is on twitter, because I do not twitter.  If it is anything like imagine yours is, it screams of despair and loneliness.  Will your life be that much fuller if you get that 18yr old kid to retweet you?  Really.  You would be better of creeping on some SI swimsuit model on there.  There has been recruiting for over 100 years in college football.  Many of those years were before your time.  Certainly before twitter.  Recruiting will go on long after you are gone.  I have learned that it is much easier to enjoy football when you dont get so wrapped up in all of this.  Yes I am on here to follow whats going on.  Can I do a damn thing about it....NOPE.  Go enjoy the day.  Worry about things you can control. 

Did this guy post in the wrong thread?

HogFries

wpswillriseagain

Quote from: SA Hog Fan on February 04, 2016, 07:25:16 am
Did this guy post in the wrong thread?
who in this thread said it was a good thing?

SA Hog Fan

Quote from: HogFries on February 04, 2016, 07:27:12 am
Nope

Then please decipher your incoherent and misplaced rant at the OP. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt rather than assume you lack reading comprehension.

Pork Twain

Twitter is for kids, not creepy adults stalking teenagers
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Nosboar Accubond

Every fan base uses Twitter in this capacity. It's not going to win us a recruit but zero activity can hurt. My advice is don't follow recruits. Do like and RT the stuff that is put out about them from a recruiting point of view from the likes of folks like RD. Only comment on those types of Tweets too. So if RD tweets out a photo of a recruit in a Hog helmet then RT to your heart's content, or tweet back positive stuff. Don't stalk players and leave them alone.

By the way, social media is real and gaining steam regardless of how much people fight it or don't "understand" it. We just have some fans that need to understand how not to be idiots on it.

SpineHog

Frequently talking to recruits or sending them DMs is at least a little creepy if you're over 30.  If you want to retweet or fave positive things they say about the hogs, I think therein lies the power of twitter for a fanbase, as it will put visible numbers on the amount of support the athlete is getting.

AirWarren

10-15 years from now. We are going to realize social media is one of the biggest downfalls of society. And I'm 30. Began social media as a sophomore in college and I do not participate in any of them any more.  I find it utterly ridiculous.

Sooie71923

twitter never is, never was or never will be a recruiting tool to sign players. it is a recruiting tool to show support.

the ultimate deciding factor is what is in the recruits head and heart. twitter has zero effect on recruits decisions.

hogcard1964

There's a lot of people that need Twitter classes on how to converse with people.  Not naming names, but...

AirWarren

Quote from: Sooie71923 on February 04, 2016, 07:52:43 am
twitter never is, never was or never will be a recruiting tool to sign players. it is a recruiting tool to show support.

the ultimate deciding factor is what is in the recruits head and heart. twitter has zero effect on recruits decisions.

So why harass them? You have these clowns on here that start these topics that say "blow his Twitter to show him how much we want him as a razorback"? Haha. That kid will love that alright. In his mind it's a game. It's the attention. The only one looking stupid in the end is the moron they wants and participates in this goofiness.

JaketheSnake

Don't like Twitter, but what exactly makes it a fail? Bc we lost some highly sought after recruits on NSD?  I'd hardly say that's the blame of Twitter. 

Granted, I don't think Twitter really plays anything toward recruiting at all. 

AirWarren

Quote from: hogcard1964 on February 04, 2016, 07:53:23 am
There's a lot of people that need Twitter classes on how to converse with people.  Not naming names, but...

No. People need to learn how to communicate with people face to face again. Because all people are turning weird and only know how to communicate through a tweet, post, etc.

lefty08

Quote from: AP85 on February 04, 2016, 07:55:11 am
No. People need to learn how to communicate with people face to face again. Because all people are turning weird and only know how to communicate through a tweet, post, etc.

Ironic that you brought this rant to a social media site
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

PorkRinds

I mean, I suppose you can argue it didn't help.  But how do you know it didn't help convince the guys we DID get? 

IronMountainHog

I don't listen to jabroni's who have 21 posts telling people what or what not to do on Hogville.

The NewEra

There are 20 guys who signed who disagree with you. 

hogman99

Quote from: AP85 on February 04, 2016, 07:49:21 am
10-15 years from now. We are going to realize social media is one of the biggest downfalls of society. And I'm 30. Began social media as a sophomore in college and I do not participate in any of them any more.  I find it utterly ridiculous.

AMEN!!!!

Sooie71923

i dont know why fans harass recruits on social media. recruits give access to themselves and fans seek them out. the program has no control over that. but youre right. the fans who act like morons thinking theyre helping recruit players are the real losers on signing day.

how about this, for those fans "recruiting" recruits on twitter, when those recruits dont sign with Arkansas, are you the failure or will you pass the blame to the staff....

Quote from: AP85 on February 04, 2016, 07:54:04 am
So why harass them? You have these clowns on here that start these topics that say "blow his Twitter to show him how much we want him as a razorback"? Haha. That kid will love that alright. In his mind it's a game. It's the attention. The only one looking stupid in the end is the moron they wants and participates in this goofiness.

ricepig

Quote from: lefty08 on February 04, 2016, 07:59:00 am

Lol, very ironic........

ricepig

Quote from: IronMountainHog on February 04, 2016, 08:08:31 am
I don't listen to jabroni's who have 21 posts telling people what or what not to do on Hogville.

How many followers does he have........

AirWarren

Quote from: lefty08 on February 04, 2016, 07:59:00 am

Funny you consider this social media.

ricepig

Quote from: AP85 on February 04, 2016, 08:35:34 am

Do you have to register to post? I believe the same is said of Twitter.

cmrhawg

Quote from: AP85 on February 04, 2016, 08:35:34 am

It is not a social network, but it is most definitely social media. Forums, Blogs, Social Networks, etc. all make up social media.

hogcard1964

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

AirWarren

I disagree.

But I think something we can all agree on. Posting on here is no more helpful than the losers out there that "Twitter storm" and harass the kids on social media. It's pointless.

Wildhog

Hogville is the very definition of social media:

so·cial me·di·a
noun
websites and applications that enable users to create and share content or to participate in social networking.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

dowils

Dont be critical of the Razorbacks or Razorback Fans, whether its by tweeting or the teams play.  Your thread will be moved to vents and rumors...LOL

cmrhawg

This doesnt necessarily have to do with Hog fans twitter campaign failing, but I think all of the recruits being on twitter is a big reason why we were so let down yesterday. If you think about kids like Agim and Guidry tweeting multiple things throughout the process like "this class will be one for the record books," and "we are about to shock the world tomorrow."

It builds these expectations for the fans that end up being unrealistic. We think because they know other recruits personally that they are in the know about who is going where. When in reality, we dont even know what those tweets are supposed to mean in the first place.

PorkRinds

Quote from: AP85 on February 04, 2016, 07:49:21 am

Except this one...

PLHawg

I believe that a most recruits know where they want to go through most of the recruiting process.  Sometimes they may be torn between two schools, but the final five deal is just a way to extend the drama.  The whole twitter deal is just a way for these kids to get more followers and to stroke their ego.  If they don't want to go here there's no amount of tweets from our fans that's going to convince them otherwise, it's just a big game.

JayBell

It just comes off as desperate.  I've followed a handful of recruits, maybe not even that many, before they actually signed, but they were already committed.  Peavey and Collins were just great guys who went all-in on Arkansas from the moment they committed.

Maybe it can work for a more prestigious program, but it comes off as desperate for Arkansas when you throw so much attention on teenagers and miss out on most of them.

TDHawgs

The Twitter Gods have failed us.. oh what should we do? just what should we do?

To think fans on twitter has much bearing on where they go; is like thinking that the rain dance you did a couple hours ago produced the rain that's falling now. Probably about the same amount of cause and effect I'd say.

:razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

AirWarren

Quote from: cmrhawg on February 04, 2016, 08:57:27 am
This doesnt necessarily have to do with Hog fans twitter campaign failing, but I think all of the recruits being on twitter is a big reason why we were so let down yesterday. If you think about kids like Agim and Guidry tweeting multiple things throughout the process like "this class will be one for the record books," and "we are about to shock the world tomorrow."

It builds these expectations for the fans that end up being unrealistic. We think because they know other recruits personally that they are in the know about who is going where. When in reality, we dont even know what those tweets are supposed to mean in the first place.

"This class will be for the record books."
If an adult believed what an 18 year kid says and mounts it in gold like that, I pity them. Twitter recruiting with these kids and desperate fans is the biggest chain yank someone can do.

TDHawgs

The Twitter Gods have failed us.. oh what should we do? just what should we do?

To think fans on twitter has much bearing on where a recruit goes; is like thinking that the rain dance you did a couple hours ago produced the rain that's falling now. Probably about the same amount of cause and effect I'd say.

:razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Huds_HawgTide

While you grown men think its creepy I'm the guy sending dms to your wife and the one been sleeping with her... My bad...mes thinks the twatter is goods
"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

AirWarren

Quote from: JayBell on February 04, 2016, 08:59:50 am
It just comes off as desperate.  I've followed a handful of recruits, maybe not even that many, before they actually signed, but they were already committed.  Peavey and Collins were just great guys who went all-in on Arkansas from the moment they committed.

Maybe it can work for a more prestigious program, but it comes off as desperate for Arkansas when you throw so much attention on teenagers and miss out on most of them.

Desperate. Great word to describe it. Good post.