Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

One interesting observation between CBB vs HDN recruiting

Started by westside_player, February 03, 2016, 10:33:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dropkick

Quote from: westside_player on February 03, 2016, 10:52:14 pm
We'll see how it pans out. But having those 4 scholarships full would be better than nothing. You never know how one or any or all of those guys we could have offered but didn't would have turned out. Poor strategy by CBB.
What if we used the last scholarships on reaches and then a Ricky Town type player is looking for a new home.

Dropkick

Quote from: westside_player on February 03, 2016, 10:33:59 pm
I've read a couple people on here today talk about it being ok to lose 4 players on signing day to bigger schools. In a way I agree with that but in a way I don't.  Another poster said Nutt would win recruiting battles against Sun Belt schools and CBB is finally recruiting against big schools.

The problem I see with CBB philosophy this year is that he's got about 4 empty scholarships or 3 if you count offering the walk-on guard today who didn't have to be offered because he was gonna be on the roster anyway.  That's potentially another OL, secondary player, or both we could have used which I think we are short in. In the SEC there are 2 units you have to be adequate or you're not beating anyone in the conference, Offensive line, and secondary.   Offensive line is the backbone of being able to move the ball. Secondary is your last line of defense in keeping people out of the endzone. QB's, RB's, and WR's are a dime a dozen and can transfer in at any time because they aren't playing where they're at. You can also compete with below average LB and DL. An OL can make every other unit on the field better and keep the defense rested.  A secondary can turn on the jets and run someone down because he's the only one in the play who can.

I don't necessarily think we have to be losing recruiting battles on signing day to LSU, Texas or Florida , or any home state schools to be successful. We do have to have as many adequate players as we can find for the roster at key positions. If he's here a year and he's not working out and can be replaced that's fine. But there's no doubt it's a mistake in strategy to have this many empty scholarships. Somewhere out there, are 3 guys that signed with the Sun Belt or Conference USA that could have helped the program.

Oklahawg

Quote from: Philip Seaton on February 04, 2016, 12:15:11 am
There is always talented transfers and walkons inside the program that deserve it more than just throwing around schollies. So don't agree.

The graduate transfer rule was not in effect for Nutt, IIRC. It joins a number of issues that are not equitable comparisons but Nutt wins in most of those cases (ie, number of scholarships that could be offered, JUCO transfer rules in SEC, easier competition in the middle of the overall conference if not in your own division as well).
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

cardinalandwhite

Quote from: hogcard1964 on February 04, 2016, 11:10:20 am
Agreed

However, I was asking about hard recruiting stats.

If you're going to look at "hard recruiting stats" (whatever that is), you'd better be honest enough to only look at players that made it to campus. That may not fit the narrative of the op, though.

An integral part of CBB's system is retention and coaching. He mentioned Jake Hall from Har-Ber  (right?) as a player who would need to be in the program for a while, but whom he expected to be a big player for them his last two years here. That's an uncommon approach in the SEC, but it works. Furthermore, it's what we have to do to build a monster without major bagman game.

Bottom line is that Bielema is looking 5 years out and 5 years back recruiting, all while seeing how the young fellas on campus perform throughout the year. We aren't. Did we miss some impact playerso late? Yes. Did we still reel in a solid class that is helping to develop the monster CBB wants to build here? Absolutely.
"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

Tusks

How can anyone be hootie fan, I mean WTH are you smoking cause I'd like some.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

HogFoo

Quote from: westside_player on February 03, 2016, 10:33:59 pm
I've read a couple people on here today talk about it being ok to lose 4 players on signing day to bigger schools. In a way I agree with that but in a way I don't.  Another poster said Nutt would win recruiting battles against Sun Belt schools and CBB is finally recruiting against big schools.

The problem I see with CBB philosophy this year is that he's got about 4 empty scholarships or 3 if you count offering the walk-on guard today who didn't have to be offered because he was gonna be on the roster anyway.  That's potentially another OL, secondary player, or both we could have used which I think we are short in. In the SEC there are 2 units you have to be adequate or you're not beating anyone in the conference, Offensive line, and secondary.   Offensive line is the backbone of being able to move the ball. Secondary is your last line of defense in keeping people out of the endzone. QB's, RB's, and WR's are a dime a dozen and can transfer in at any time because they aren't playing where they're at. You can also compete with below average LB and DL. An OL can make every other unit on the field better and keep the defense rested.  A secondary can turn on the jets and run someone down because he's the only one in the play who can.

I don't necessarily think we have to be losing recruiting battles on signing day to LSU, Texas or Florida , or any home state schools to be successful. We do have to have as many adequate players as we can find for the roster at key positions. If he's here a year and he's not working out and can be replaced that's fine. But there's no doubt it's a mistake in strategy to have this many empty scholarships. Somewhere out there, are 3 guys that signed with the Sun Belt or Conference USA that could have helped the program.
So let me get this straight.   You think that we should basically have just filled the 4 scholarships we had left even if it was just with  just lower caliber recruits that sun belt teams would perhaps have barely wanted  right?  Come on man.  So you dont think we should see what graduate transfers might be out there? Or even what players that didnt sign yesterday and are still out there?   You are basing the whole " comparison "  on the whole premise that Nutt would have just filled those positions just to fill them?    Sounds to me like u should trust what Bielema is doing more and not give a shizz what Nutt  did or does.  Cuz apparently the Ole miss cheating leads all the way back to when he was coaching there.
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

thefisher

Quote from: Oklahawg on February 04, 2016, 11:19:18 am
....You can't develop what can't enroll.  That should be sufficient.
Most applicable and accurate line of this thread. On point sir!
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.