Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Now that signing day has happened, the most annoying type of Recruiting post is.

Started by oldbooniehog, February 03, 2016, 09:56:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

oldbooniehog

Now that signing day has happened, I just want to comment on the most annoying type of post that frequently pops up in this forum.

Typically, the post has as its subject line only a name. In this case, I'll use "Jethro Bodine" as the name.

The first version goes like this.

Subject: Jethro Bodine

Post says something like "Hey, Jethro Bodine is a stud outside halfbacker line end from Skunk Flower, TX. Why aren't we offering him?"

The second version goes like this.

Subject: Jethro Bodine.

Post says something like "Hey, Jethro Bodine is a stud outside halfbacker line end who just decommitted from East Western North Central Tech. Why aren't we offering him?"

In both cases, the poster doesn't know anything at all, except for the player's name, position, and where he's from or what school he just decommitted from

The poster knows nothing else at all, but still throws out a post asking why Arkansas isn't offering the player that the poster knows absolutely nothing about, other than his name, position and where he's from or where he just decommitted from.

This type of post happens with maddening regularity.

Of course, you'd think I'd learn eventually to never, ever click on any thread in the Recruiting Forum that has only a player's name as the subject line with no other information.

But I still fall for it once in a while.

Please, in the future, if you don't know anything else except a players name, position, and where he's from or which school he just decommitted from, do not write such a post, especially if the ONLY thing you have to say is some version of "Why aren't we offering him?"

XX

I think it's this one...

Quote from: TazorTusk on February 03, 2016, 09:28:51 pm
It is great fun to share recruiting news with other Hog fans.  Appreciate all who participate here.

But, sometimes I think we shoot ourselves in the foot and become a albatross for our recruiting staff when we post stuff that can be used as ammo by recruiters  from other schools to run out program down and discourage kids from playing for the Hogs.

I'd like to propose that we institute some Darwin Awards for those whose posts have a negative impact on our recruiting attempts.  For starters, I'd nominate the following for the Dumb-Butt Darwin Post of the Day Award:
"Like the kid, great head on his shoulders and potential. Can be TO prone at times, but has a lot of athleticsm for someone that big and played against good talent in LA. However, just don't see him ever starting here unless it's as a RS Sr."

I have not read everything posted here today, so feel free to add your nominations.

Another award we might consider is the Darwin Dumb-Butt Post of the Past Recruiting Season Award.  This one goes to the poster who made the most negative contribution to our recruiting effort in the past year.  The thread that first comes to mind for me is the one suggesting that one of our best recruiters was about to be hired by LSU -- and this just a few weeks ago in the heat of recruiting season.  Personally, even if this had been true, I think it stupid to write this on a recruiting board visited by potential Hog players.  A second nominee grouping would be any post that disparaged the parents of any recruit.  (You recall those well, I'd guess.) Again, feel free to nominate your choices for this award.

Finally, I'd propose an ongoing nomination list for the Darwin Dumb-Butt Post of the 2017 Recruiting Season.  If there is interest we can keep a running file and vote on this a year from now.

So, what is the goal of having these awards???  It is to help the moderators keep the content of this board such that it is an asset to improving out team instead of a potential liability to our recruiting staff.

This is just one guy's observations and I don't presume to speak for the group.  Maybe the majority prefer "freedom of speech" over what I'd consider responsible, Hog-helping posting.  However, I'd like to think that Hogville could become a huge positive force for moving the team back into regular National Championship talk and competition in the years ahead instead of simply an outlet for people to just air their beefs and complain about things.

By the way, I think we are headed in the right direction.  I'm hopeful that both the coaches and HV learned some things this year that will allow us to have a better recruiting day next year.

Tazor
Fill yur hands you son of a bitch!!

oldbooniehog

I'd say the difference is that the "Dumb Butt Darwin" post seems to be a one-of-a-kind post.

But the type of post I wrote about happens over and over and over.

It's like they think the U of A Coaching staff doesn't research possible players at all.

Or that every single player that decommitts from any school should immediately get an offer from Arkansas.

Oklahawg

Quote from: oldbooniehog on February 03, 2016, 10:04:12 pm
I'd say the difference is that the "Dumb Butt Darwin" post seems to be a one-of-a-kind post.

But the type of post I wrote about happens over and over and over.

It's like they think the U of A Coaching staff doesn't research possible players at all.

Or that every single player that decommitts from any school should immediately get an offer from Arkansas.

Amen. A-freaking-men.

Given the work that is evident in the class of recruits we signed it is highly dishonest to have posters suggest the staff is lazy or didn't work hard enough.

If every decommit or transfer SHOULD consider UA then why the hell didn't we sign 25 Top 300 players?
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

hobhog

Quote from: oldbooniehog on February 03, 2016, 09:56:44 pm
Now that signing day has happened, I just want to comment on the most annoying type of post that frequently pops up in this forum.

Typically, the post has as its subject line only a name. In this case, I'll use "Jethro Bodine" as the name.

The first version goes like this.

Subject: Jethro Bodine

Post says something like "Hey, Jethro Bodine is a stud outside halfbacker line end from Skunk Flower, TX. Why aren't we offering him?"

The second version goes like this.

Subject: Jethro Bodine.

Post says something like "Hey, Jethro Bodine is a stud outside halfbacker line end who just decommitted from East Western North Central Tech. Why aren't we offering him?"

In both cases, the poster doesn't know anything at all, except for the player's name, position, and where he's from or what school he just decommitted from

The poster knows nothing else at all, but still throws out a post asking why Arkansas isn't offering the player that the poster knows absolutely nothing about, other than his name, position and where he's from or where he just decommitted from.

This type of post happens with maddening regularity.

Of course, you'd think I'd learn eventually to never, ever click on any thread in the Recruiting Forum that has only a player's name as the subject line with no other information.

But I still fall for it once in a while.

Please, in the future, if you don't know anything else except a players name, position, and where he's from or which school he just decommitted from, do not write such a post, especially if the ONLY thing you have to say is some version of "Why aren't we offering him?"

Sorry, but I have to say.....

"It is hard to see the picture when you are in the frame...."

longpig

And then there's the recruiting post that pretty much says, "Hey we should offer Jethro Bodine because he's the same size as Richard Sherman so you know he's good."
Don't be scared, be smart.