Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What happened!? Have I missed the BATTLE!

Started by Country Stylz, February 03, 2016, 03:34:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

CallThoseHawgs

Uncommon

I really don't think it's been that bad really.  Most have the reasonable opinion that it's a good class but today was just a bad day in regards to new additions.  Of course, there are some that think it's the best class since sliced bread and some that think it's a pile of crap.

Hogsmo Kramer

We sustained some casualties but the war has yet to be fought.
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

Love those Hogs

We have a typical Arkansas class. We missed on a few big name guys and got a few.  Losing Putu during the last hour was hurtful, but it happens.
Hogs 4 Life!

CallThoseHawgs

Quote from: Uncommon on February 03, 2016, 03:38:15 pm
I really don't think it's been that bad really.  Most have the reasonable opinion that it's a good class but today was just a bad day in regards to new additions.  Of course, there are some that think it's the best class since sliced bread and some that think it's a pile of crap.
Overall I think it's a good class but we lost out today.

Pulled(PP)pork

jgphillips3

In the last three days, we got our heads kicked in.  Lost Pollard, Lost Putu, got zero of the big name guys we were after.  We have some absolutely solid and some great football players who committed.  However, we didn't get near enough of them, don't have a full class and most of our late additions are probably filler players at best other than Marshall.  It's like a skier completing a really good run in the Olympics but then crashing into a tree and being taken to the hospital just yards before the finish line.  Yeah, he did great up to that point, but the finish was a disaster.  The top 12-15 of the ones we did get are going to be really good players though.  No doubt about that.  In the end, we got just enough talent to keep losing close ball games to Alabama.

H&D

Quote from: jgphillips3 on February 03, 2016, 04:29:28 pm
In the last three days, we got our heads kicked in.  Lost Pollard, Lost Putu, got zero of the big name guys we were after.  We have some absolutely solid and some great football players who committed.  However, we didn't get near enough of them, don't have a full class and most of our late additions are probably filler players at best other than Marshall.  It's like a skier completing a really good run in the Olympics but then crashing into a tree and being taken to the hospital just yards before the finish line.  Yeah, he did great up to that point, but the finish was a disaster.  The top 12-15 of the ones we did get are going to be really good players though.  No doubt about that.  In the end, we got just enough talent to keep losing close ball games to Alabama.

Whaley wasn't a big name?
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

DoubleReedHawgCaller

It started with a troll and ended with one being stole.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

hawginbigd1

IronMountainHog

Lloyd: How did it go Ari?

Ari: How did the Bay of Pigs go Lloyd?

jgphillips3

Quote from: H&D on February 03, 2016, 04:36:22 pm
Whaley wasn't a big name?

He is absolutely a big name, but he has been committed for weeks.  Agim may be one of the best to ever play for us.  There are several gems in the class.  Right up to three days ago, it looked like we might sign a transformative class.  As it is, we have a few great ones, helped our DL and LB corps, but failed badly on OL, DB and partially failed on RB by not getting at least one more big name.  Therefore, we are left with a "good" class that has some serious deficiencies and which could have been great.  It's not a complete disaster, but it's about as bad an ending as you could have scripted to a recruiting season that had been going very well up to that point.  What complicates the problem is that the 2017 Arkansas crop of talent is as bad as it has been in a long, long time so the staff is going to have to improve their out of State strategy quickly and actually starting closing some of that elite talent.

ICEman

"And you say that the battle is over
And finally the world is at peace
You mean, no one is dying and mothers don't weep
Or it's not in the papers at least.

There are those who would deal in the darkness of life
There are those who would tear down the sun
And most men are ruthless but some will still weep
When the gifts we were given, are gone." ~JD
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

TNRazorbacker

I wasn't expecting to get any of the blue chips that were deciding today so no big disappointment there.  No early pleasant surprises either.  I'd have been fine just keeping what we already had committed.  So was basically a "meh" kind of day up until Putu flipped to FL.  That kick in the nads pushed it past Meh into suckage though.  Not a very happy signing day.

That said I'm still happy with the way this staff is recruiting. They are putting in a ton of effort, finding talent in unusual places and they have kids considering us that never would have before.  Just need to figure out how to land some.  I think if we stay the course we eventually will.

Derjen

jgphillips3

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on February 03, 2016, 04:55:29 pm
I wasn't expecting to get any of the blue chips that were deciding today so no big disappointment there.  No early pleasant surprises either.  I'd have been fine just keeping what we already had committed.  So was basically a "meh" kind of day up until Putu flipped to FL.  That kick in the nads pushed it past Meh into suckage though.  Not a very happy signing day.

That said I'm still happy with the way this staff is recruiting. They are putting in a ton of effort, finding talent in unusual places and they have kids considering us that never would have before.  Just need to figure out how to land some.  I think if we stay the course we eventually will.

This staff tries hard and they are not stupid.  Hopefully, they look back, see how they screwed the pooch on Daniels, see how they put out too few offers and put their eggs into too few baskets and tweak (not overhaul, tweak) the strategy to give them some cushion next year.  The 2017 Arkansas class is woefully thin.  If they learn from their mistakes, they can turn this thing around.  If they are stubborn, next year could be a disaster.  However, everything I have seen from them says they learn where they screwed up and then do better the next time.  Hopefully, that will be on display by next February.

Pulled(PP)pork

Some posters act like they've been cheated on by their fiancé

PP

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on February 03, 2016, 05:17:27 pm

PP

Better to be pissed on than cheated on, or pissed on than pissed off.......oh forget it I can't remember.
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

Country Stylz

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on February 03, 2016, 05:17:27 pm

PP
The Putu thing was a nice B**** slap by Fla, but I'm over it. We finished with a top 25 class you guys. We'll see them on the field.

Pigasaurus

Rated 24th, soon to be rerated to top 15 in a couple years.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

Justagp

Sir Oinksalot

"No, you have missed the War..."

Ahaha

- my favorite quote from Gladiator...among so so many...
Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

hawgdavis

JusJim

Quote from: pigasaurus on February 03, 2016, 06:01:11 pm
Rated 24th, soon to be rerated to top 15 in a couple years.
So if we do make it into the top 15, BUT we're still 11th in the SEC people will still be unhappy.

Country Stylz

Quote from: JusJim on February 03, 2016, 06:27:11 pm
So if we do make it into the top 15, BUT we're still 11th in the SEC people will still be unhappy.
He's saying our class will be revisted in a few years and be ranked 15th on account of us beating people on the field.

Hogsolo

I think we've seen and learned that the kids that are serious non attention seekers are more reliable than NSD drama queens.

Let me put five hats in front of me and get all this attention.

Everyone is going to face hard times eventually, that's when the difference between the queens and the hard working kids will be noticed. 

I am disappointed we didn't sign another running back in this class.  Lots of wear and tear on that position.  But I'll let the coaches worry over that.

lumphog

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on February 03, 2016, 04:20:21 pm
it's just a flesh wound

PP
IF you want to sign the big boys.... Bring me a shrubbery

hoglady

The main problem is Beliema wanted to sign 25 and we signed 20.
I understand about catching up with some early signees next year - but they are still behind in development in the program.
There's a reason Beliema wanted to sign 25 - and I'm sure he's not happy he wasn't able to do that.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hoglady

Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

Sooie71923

this is 100% false made up garbage. if anyone has listened to CBB he has said his ideal classes are anywhere from 19-22. period.

the main problem is some fans make up garbage and dont know their ____ from a hole in the ground.

Quote from: hoglady on February 04, 2016, 12:33:42 am
The main problem is Beliema wanted to sign 25 and we signed 20.
I understand about catching up with some early signees next year - but they are still behind in development in the program.
There's a reason Beliema wanted to sign 25 - and I'm sure he's not happy he wasn't able to do that.

hoglady

Quote from: Sooie71923 on February 04, 2016, 07:47:41 am
this is 100% false made up garbage. if anyone has listened to CBB he has said his ideal classes are anywhere from 19-22. period.

the main problem is some fans make up garbage and dont know their ____ from a hole in the ground.

Look, even Beliema said yesterday he's still going to try add 3 to this class, plus for now he's holding back the scholarship to Hays for the time being (he's signed but still may greyshirt). Does that sound like a coach who's satisfied with his numbers?

Sooie71923

Straight from the Coaches mouth.... now tell me again how hes disappointed for not signing 25...

http://www.foxsportsarkansas.com/how-bielema-may-have-really-hit-a-homer/

QuoteBielema didn't dwell on the misses with some of the bigger names. With the normal attrition, he was hoping to get 19-22 on signing day (he got 20).

But the guess here he's not done, based on a line he had in his press conference that may end up being the key line.

"We landed on 20 right now and not done yet, but we are in the process to have some as we move forward because we will not have a class size of 25 either," he said.

That was shortly before mentioning some inquiries from some graduate transfers and don't be surprised to see the overall number of new Razorbacks more like 23.

Quote from: hoglady on February 04, 2016, 08:17:23 am
Look, even Beliema said yesterday he's still going to try add 3 to this class, plus for now he's holding back the scholarship to Hays for the time being (he's signed but still may greyshirt). Does that sound like a coach who's satisfied with his numbers?

Derjen

Quote from: Sooie71923 on February 04, 2016, 08:29:22 am
Straight from the Coaches mouth.... now tell me again how hes disappointed for not signing 25...

http://www.foxsportsarkansas.com/how-bielema-may-have-really-hit-a-homer/

CBB said "We landed on 20 right now and not done yet, but we are in the process to have some as we move forward because we will not have a class size of 25 either," he said.

So he DID NOT say we'd sign 25

Hoggish1

Coach explained it very well.  But for those with hearing comprehension:

Some kids you'll see right away, some will take 2 years before they see the field in year three.  That's what Arkansas has to do to be successful.  The system is now fully in place to roll!

Herb is a very important guy to the program in developing their bodies and our staff will develop their skills.  Coach will take kids out of the program for a few days or a week if they forget that going to class is mandatory. Our system requires that we never, or very seldom lose a player to academics.

All of the about was what Nebraska used to be famous for.

We are not going to jump into the SEC with Bama-type classes, at least not until we move to the 10 wins a season level, but we'll get there.  We do it a different way and it's been the plan all along.

Sooie71923

my point exactly. 

his ideal class size is 19-22 per year.

DeltaBoy

We got played like a boy who thinks he is taking the Home Coming Queen to Prom and she dumps him the day of and goes with the HS QB instead.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.