Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

where are you right now with this class emotionally?

Started by pondwater jack, February 03, 2016, 12:19:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

What is different about this recruiting class compared with many of those of past coaches?

Arkansas did not merely sign players to fill needs.

You cannot point to another recruiting class in modern times that added the likes of DE Agim, DE Marshall, DT Capps and DT Guidry to the defensive line. You can't. Not even close.

That is the kind of Dline recruiting class that can transform a defense.

Arkansas also was fortunate enough to capture two in-state offensive players with serious speed in Jordan Jones and T.J. Hammonds.

Linebacker recruiting did not get safety-size players who need to be bulked up. De'Jon Harris is a real, SEC-type inside linebacker. Jean-Baptiste, LaFrance and Walker also are legit. That is four real linebackers. When was the last time a Razorback team signed four real linebackers?

The offense had a desperate need at RB and got an exciting one, Devwah Whaley. The offense added talent at QB, WR, TE and FB, rather than sit still.

Offensive line recruiting was hampered by the departure of the position coach, still brought in three new players.

The big shortfall was in the secondary. Early commit Edwards is a good safety. The juco corner Putu was a late find. The safety Smith was a reach, unless everybody else was wrong.

Arkansas's returning DBs -

Coley, Collins, Dalton, Dean, Floyd, Liddell, Lucas, Miller, Pulley, Ramirez, Richardson, Sykes, Toliver. Two will be seniors, both corners. Hogs needed more and better corners. Why the DB recruiting fell down is the main question.

Also have to wonder why the Hogs were unable to get more than one featured running back. Could be that it was hard to get anyone's serious attention until it was obvious both Collins and Williams were probably gone. Regardless, that's an area of recruiting that must improve.
[CENSORED]!

LJHOG

Quote from: pondwater jack on February 03, 2016, 12:19:56 pm
Bear in mind, According to Dudley when Bielema arrived there were only 8, 4stars on team, now 22.  Few transfers or losses.  So where are you. Answer with one word.

Fired-up. (Very very happy with our direction)
Content. (We're building slowly. I get it. Its  marathon and Bielema needs time for plan to work)
Dissappointed.(wanted a bigger finish than we got)
Red-@$$.  (0/3)

Pick one. Now.

Pwj
resigned to my fate.

pondwater jack

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 03, 2016, 01:32:55 pm
What is different about this recruiting class compared with many of those of past coaches?

You cannot point to another recruiting class in modern times that added the likes of DE Agim, DE Marshall, DT Capps and DT Guidry to the defensive line. You can't. Not even close.

Arkansas also was fortunate enough to capture two in-state offensive players with serious speed in Jordan Jones and T.J. Hammonds.

Linebacker recruiting did not get safety-size players who need to be bulked up. De'Jon Harris is a real, SEC-type inside linebacker. Jean-Baptiste, LaFrance and Walker also are legit. That is four real linebackers. When was the last time a Razorback team signed four real linebackers?

The offense had a desperate need at RB and got an exciting one, Devwah Whaley. The offense added talent at QB, WR, TE and FB, rather than sit still.

Offensive line recruiting was hampered by the departure of the position coach, still brought in three new players.

The big shortfall was in the secondary. Early commit Edwards is a good safety. The juco corner Putu was a late find. The safety Smith was a reach, unless everybody else was wrong.

Coley, Collins, Dalton, Dean, Floyd, Liddell, Lucas, Miller, Pulley, Ramirez, Richardson, Sykes, Toliver. Two will be seniors, both corners. Hogs needed more and better corners. Why the DB recruiting fell down is the main question.

Also have to wonder why the Hogs were unable to get more than one featured running back. Could be that it was hard to get anyone's serious attention until it was obvious both Collins and Williams were probably gone. Regardless, that's an area of recruiting that must improve.
THHHIIIISSSS. This this this this this this! 

Quality depth people!  We are going to be tough if we get one of our 4 star qb's serviceable!
Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on February 13, 2015, 07:56:19 am
I cry at the thought of our creator looking down from on high relishing in two of his more majestic creations (Jack Blasingame and Mike Irwin) pulling together for the benefit of all razorback nation. Neigh..! mankind...
Quote from: Fort Dweller on February 14, 2015, 10:04:29 pm
And they slowly slink back to their holes.  Well done Madden and Watkins.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 03, 2016, 01:32:55 pm

I think the Putu grab put us on the plus side regarding the secondary.  Defensively, he's a big step up.  If we're able to keep him it's a success.  If he flips, we screwed the pooch.

flagstaffhog

I'm fired up. Love the direction that CBB is taking us.

Go HOGS Go!
Go HOGS Go!

jesterzzn

Anyone with a strong emotional reaction to recruiting is probably also the kind of person that doesn't understand why Charlie Brown doesn't just kick the damn football.

DeltaBoy

Glad with what we got but disappointed by those who shunned us.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

ArkansasI

I'm pretty content.

Of course, I'd like to know if any quality DBs and RBs have waited to sign.  Might give them a call encouraging a visit.

With so many mid-majors fielding competitive programs, it's reasonable to believe that there are a few guys out there that are worth a shot.  Just gotta find 'em.

HogFanFromTheHills

Disappointed for sure. Lost out on Putu.... The Norwegian is now a lineman.... Bet that wasn't the original plan. The more it developes the more of a scrambled look we are assuming from my perspective. Didn't hit on anyone today even lost a CB target. Not saying it's the end of the world, but this doesn't bode well. what's the contingency plan when you don't hit anyone? Was expecting we'd sign someone today. Now the closest thing I've seen to an answer is graduate transfers.

GolfnHog

Until CBB and his staff got here there were never this many top notch kids even visiting or listing the Hogs as a consideration in recruiting. Hell, now they are coming to the Hill in the final 2 weeks of the recruiting season.

It astounds me how many get stressed out over those that the Hogs didn't get signed when the reality is, the Hogs are in a new realm of recruiting just getting these kids to visit AR.

Each year it will get better and better in closing on these type recruitsbased on current trends. I'm content with a leaning to stoked on where this program is heading.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

scruf

"where are you right now with this class emotionally?"

I'm good with it.

Uncommon

Quote from: GolfnHog on February 03, 2016, 03:05:43 pm
Until CBB and his staff got here there were never this many top notch kids even visiting or listing the Hogs as a consideration in recruiting.
That was the 2012 class spin.

The only way to spin that statement is that Bielema got that great visit weekend after only winning 8 games.

HogFanDan

The class was not a disappointment at all.

The day was nothing but disappointment.  The kids that signed had been committed for some time and we're very grateful they honored their commitments.  But we knew they were coming...well, we didn't expect for one to bail.  But to lose a commitment and whiff on every highly rated player we were in on was extremely disappointing.  All the new news we got today was all bad news. Honestly can't remember such a bad signing day.

Again, talking about the day, not the class.

GO

Content with what we got / Disappointed in the way the day played out with the undecided.

WooPig90

Hogginout

Today was like going to work and not getting paid or having sex and not finishing!
Hogs 4 Life

texas tush hog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on February 03, 2016, 02:08:13 pm
I think the Putu grab put us on the plus side regarding the secondary.  Defensively, he's a big step up.  If we're able to keep him it's a success.  If he flips, we screwed the pooch.

Screw that pooch.

GolfnHog

Quote from: Uncommon on February 03, 2016, 03:10:38 pm
That was the 2012 class spin.

The only way to spin that statement is that Bielema got that great visit weekend after only winning 8 games.

Not sure how to interpret or translate your comments but I'll assume you're not thrilled with this years process.

I'll just add that there are way too many adults that put entirely to much emotional equity in the thought processes of 17-18 year old kids when the 1st week of February rolls around each year.

I'll continue to do my part by supporting the program through donating, buying tickets and merchandise and see how this years class pans out, individually and collectively over the next 3-4 years.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

Uncommon

Quote from: GolfnHog on February 03, 2016, 03:17:32 pm
Not sure how to interpret or translate your comments but I'll assume you're not thrilled with this years process.

I'll just add that there are way too many adults that put entirely to much emotional equity in the thought processes of 17-18 year old kids when the 1st week of February rolls around each year.

I'll continue to do my part by supporting the program through donating, buying tickets and merchandise and see how this years class pans out, individually and collectively over the next 3-4 years.
My comments were that this is a previously used hashed out statement but I guess it is reasonable since this is the first time Bielema has had a weekend like that under his regime.  The class is good but I think everybody would've liked to have had a better day today as far as additions.  Heck at least keep who you got.  Instead, we had one subtraction.

And don't play the I'm a better fan than you card because I do etc.  It has nothing to do with opinion sharing on recruiting.

ArkansasI

I do not pout when elite out of state talent chooses not to play for Arkansas.

I understand when Arkansas recruits with Arkansas offers choose to attend an elite out of state university - Stanford, Duke and Northwestern come to mind.  Those universities may afford opportunities that the University of Arkansas cannot offer.

I am disappointed when Arkansas recruits with Arkansas offers choose to play for non-SEC school.

I am angered when Arkansas recruits with Arkansas offers choose to play for an SEC opponent.

Today was an excellent day.

Wildhog

This NSD will really cause the homers and the haters to dig in their heels.  Should be an unbearable offseason full of unadulterated homerism and unnecessary pessimism.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Uncommon

Quote from: Wildhog on February 03, 2016, 03:43:47 pm
This NSD will really cause the homers and the haters to dig in their heels.  Should be an unbearable offseason full of unadulterated homerism and unnecessary pessimism.
They can recruit some moderates for their causes.

Saintswine

Love who we signed, but this year recruiting feels a lot like Arkansas as a team did last year before the LSU win. We're close, just got to find a way to finish at the end. Keep knocking on the door and eventually it will open. If the team improves again next year on the field these 50/50 recruiting deals will start falling our way.

Country Stylz

Quote from: pondwater jack on February 03, 2016, 12:19:56 pm
Bear in mind, According to Dudley when Bielema arrived there were only 8, 4stars on team, now 22.  Few transfers or losses.  So where are you. Answer with one word.

Fired-up. (Very very happy with our direction)
Content. (We're building slowly. I get it. Its  marathon and Bielema needs time for plan to work)
Dissappointed.(wanted a bigger finish than we got)
Red-@$$.  (0/3)

Pick one. Now.

Pwj
Lil upset that we signed 0 cornerbacks.

3kgthog

Lukewarm. It's a 6-8 win class just like we have every season.

Ray Piggers

Content overall EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED with how today turned out
I'm basically Darkwing Duck

Oklahawg

Quote from: ArkansasI on February 03, 2016, 03:41:07 pm
I do not pout when elite out of state talent chooses not to play for Arkansas.

I understand when Arkansas recruits with Arkansas offers choose to attend an elite out of state university - Stanford, Duke and Northwestern come to mind.  Those universities may afford opportunities that the University of Arkansas cannot offer.

I am disappointed when Arkansas recruits with Arkansas offers choose to play for non-SEC school.

I am angered when Arkansas recruits with Arkansas offers choose to play for an SEC opponent.

Today was an excellent day.

Gosh, you need to clone yourself 10-12 times and take over the computers of the ninnies on here whining about every darned thing. I approve of this message, sir, and wish I had composed it myself.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Bacons Rebellion

Hogsfan1981

Just based on today and today only and how things went..Putu and missing out on all the blue chips...

TNRazorbacker

Proud of the effort and approach, but results still clearly lacking.  We need to do better if we are going to make it over the hump in this league.  Have faith this staff will get us there.

jgphillips3

Quote from: Hogsfan1981 on February 03, 2016, 04:35:56 pm
Just based on today and today only and how things went..Putu and missing out on all the blue chips...

Ha.  That sums it up nicely.  Thanks for a smile on a glum signing day. :)

Derjen

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on February 03, 2016, 05:02:49 pm
Proud of the effort and approach, but results still clearly lacking.  We need to do better if we are going to make it over the hump in this league.  Have faith this staff will get us there.

I agree.  A top-25 recruiting class is lacking.  Sheesh!