GalaHawg

Devin White - LSU
Kyle Porter - Texas
Tyrie Cleveland - Florida
Kellen Diesch - TAMU
Eric Cuffee - Texas
Brandon Jones - Texas
Kris Fulton - LSU

These are all the blue chips that we went after hard, brought on campus but missed out on. Except for Cleveland, they all went with their home state team and Cleveland also grew up in Florida and his parents are there.

So, no need to blame the coaches for any of these misses. They gave their best effort and yet lost to the home state team. It is not easy to pull out the blue chips out of their home state with so much family and friend pressure on them.

regi

Cuffee never in the mix....you are correct on the rest

Mike_e

The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

Peppa Pig

You can't blame the staff or complain about lack of effort.  They threw everything they had at them.  But that doesn't make it suck any less.

TM Hog

Agreed, however if we want to be an elite team we have to find a way to close the deal on elite talent. That's the bottom line.

Bubba's Bruisers

Losing Pollard hurt too.  Not a bad class, though.  Maybe a bunch can RS.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

hawgXi

hollywood hog

Tenpenny, Frazier, Hill...  all instate guys.  Can't blame the coaches for them either

Torqued pork

We need to avoid taking a backward step next season, so the Uncommon theme won't just sound like another sales pitch coming from another coach.

Arthur pigby sellers.

Yea same old song and dance. Hopefully we can catch some lucky breaks next year or have a superstar emerge to improve our brand so we can start getting some of these guys. Only other option is to start big time cheating.  Otherwise CBB is a good coach and I'm pretty ok with 7-8 win seasons.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: TM Hog on February 03, 2016, 12:21:16 pm
Agreed, however if we want to be an elite team we have to find a way to close the deal on elite talent. That's the bottom line.

Some consistent winning may have to happen first.  Not that they are in a comparable situation in terms of conference competition, but it took Oregon almost two decades get their brand (with Nike's help) and their "system" for recruiting Texas rolling.  We can't move our campus or football program's location.  It is the only thing that could be an immediate fix.  Otherwise, give the coaches a chance to keep building relationships.  It is good to lead up to signing day and have elite recruits considering our program.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

cardinalandwhite

Get to 10 wins and have some prohogs show out. That's what we're missing.
"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

cardinalandwhite

Quote from: Surfing8 on February 03, 2016, 12:26:53 pm
You can try to spin the Home State tale, but all you need to refute that is to look at the Ole Miss class.

Out of 25 guys in their Top 5 class ONLY SIX ARE FROM MS.

In other words, nineteen of their guys were from out of state.

There are exceptions to every rule.
"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

LRrazorback

zane

You can try to spin the Home State tale, but all you need to refute that is to look at the Ole Miss class.

$$$$$$$$$$$trange i$$$$$$$$$$$nt it?
RIP LSUfan

Peppa Pig

Sadly, here's a pic of all of those blue chips we missed on.  Not enough dropping...

wildturkey8

Nosboar Accubond

Good thing we didn't miss on all the blue chips we recruited... Woo Pig  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

troubleonthehill

https://www.periscope.tv/w/aYI0TTFkdktPeU5xQU1FWGV8MU93R1daZER2UERLUWNE2P1B1dahQUx5G3v8uQ09GK36StBFAWlZAXRiqy0o

Someone in this says in the first few seconds, "If he doesn't go to LSU, the Board is going to fire me."  So, a lot of pressure from his coach to go the LSU.

hawgwash

They're finally reaping the rewards from all that cheating (most of which was prior to Hugh Freeze being there).  Right. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: Peppa Pig on February 03, 2016, 12:20:37 pm
You can't blame the staff or complain about lack of effort.

That's for certain!

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: wildturkey8 on February 03, 2016, 12:32:32 pm
The Longhorns can still recruit well.

If we had as many in state high caliber players as Texas does, the hogs could have a losing record 10 years in a row and kids growing up Hogs would still sign with the UofA. A lot of stuff comes into play with the Horn's success in recruiting, its not just due to how well they do on the field.

immahog

all of those guys stayed home we lost to the home team nothing to be upset about
No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

DeltaBoy

Tough I really thought we might get one or two of them.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

upperdeck_hawg

I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

WriterWrong

If we could put together a 10-win season, it would go a long way to helping close on some of the elite talent we've been missing out on.

One 10-win season makes it look like the program is in position to compete for the SEC right now. Not an 8-win team hoping to jump into the mix.

We're going to get there.

Atlhogfan1

One season won't change it.  It will take multiple seasons of success.  The start has been pretty good with back to back bowl wins.  Achieve more from there in terms of wins and higher profile bowls and improve the brand.  Michigan's brand and their head coach's brand went a long way for them this season.  Nebraska's brand once did.  It takes years of success to get there.  We had a couple of back to back very good seasons and struggled to recruit the positions our offense suggested we should have been able to well. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: TM Hog on February 03, 2016, 12:21:16 pm
The above comment leads me to ask this question and I want to preface it by saying that I am not complaining, but rather I am truly wanting to understand this.  Why is it so hard for a school like Arkansas to recruit blue chip athletes?  We are the only ( old school terminology here) Div 1 school in the state. We are in essence supported by the whole state (unlike Ole Mrs and Miss Stake and Southern Mississippi).  There is a ton of money in NW Arkansas.  Everyone talks about how beautiful it is.

Why is it so hard to compile an elite class at Ark?  Why cant we do it just once every 6-8 years??  I mean our coaches try hard. BBielema logged like 19K miles in flying all over the country trying to close with recruits yet when all is said and done, we rank 24th nationally and most likely 9th or 10th in the SEC.

What is it about Fayetteville that makes it so hard to bring in elite athletes?  I know we get some 4star RBs, but overall, it just seems like we struggle when comparing ourselves to others in the SEC West.  We will probably be near the bottom of the SEC W in recruiting, maybe above Miss Stake (although they flipped a 5 star def lineman from Ole Mrs and their ranking might go up above us).  I just wonder why we cant bring in classes just once every 6-8 years that gets a top 10 ranking. Not saying do it every year like Bama or Fla State or LSU but just once ever so often.  I know we get some 4star players here and there, but it seems we just cant get much better than maybe 16 or 18 and usually we come in around the 20s.  Like I said, I just am trying to understand why.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on February 03, 2016, 01:09:00 pm
The above comment leads me to ask this question and I want to preface it by saying that I am not complaining, but rather I am truly wanting to understand this.  Why is it so hard for a school like Arkansas to recruit blue chip athletes?  We are the only ( old school terminology here) Div 1 school in the state. We are in essence supported by the whole state (unlike Ole Mrs and Miss Stake and Southern Mississippi).  There is a ton of money in NW Arkansas.  Everyone talks about how beautiful it is.

Why is it so hard to compile an elite class at Ark?  Why cant we do it just once every 6-8 years??  I mean our coaches try hard. BBielema logged like 19K miles in flying all over the country trying to close with recruits yet when all is said and done, we rank 24th nationally and most likely 9th or 10th in the SEC.

What is it about Fayetteville that makes it so hard to bring in elite athletes?  I know we get some 4star RBs, but overall, it just seems like we struggle when comparing ourselves to others in the SEC West.  We will probably be near the bottom of the SEC W in recruiting, maybe above Miss Stake (although they flipped a 5 star def lineman from Ole Mrs and their ranking might go up above us).  I just wonder why we cant bring in classes just once every 6-8 years that gets a top 10 ranking. Not saying do it every year like Bama or Fla State or LSU but just once ever so often.  I know we get some 4star players here and there, but it seems we just cant get much better than maybe 16 or 18 and usually we come in around the 20s.  Like I said, I just am trying to understand why.

Location. 

Comparable or better programs are closer to the more fertile recruiting areas.  The biggest handicap our football program has.  Really the only handicap. 

Football recruiting is first about location.  We are farther away from their home areas and the African American culture many are used to based on where they are from.  Then it is about brand.  Mich and ND can be exceptions because of brand - history, university's rep, coaches etc. 

An area that is attractive to an adult professional may be less so to a 17 year old athlete.

HogFoo

Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

HogFoo

Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 03, 2016, 01:13:16 pm
Location. 

Comparable or better programs are closer to the more fertile recruiting areas.  The biggest handicap our football program has.  Really the only handicap. 

Football recruiting is first about location.  We are farther away from their home areas and the African American culture many are used to based on where they are from.  Then it is about brand.  Mich and ND can be exceptions because of brand - history, university's rep, coaches etc.

I hear ya and that makes sense.  So how does one explain Ole Miss?  Its a small town that is booming, but it cant have anything on Fayetteville and NW Arkansas.  Its in one of the most racist states in all the country.  The confederate flag is part of the state flag.  Its 90 mins from Memphis- a 1M population metro area, but its not like there is a ton of night life and such that would interest a kid from say Miami or Chicago yet I heard Ole Miss is going to sign like 12-13 4 star players and they got the best QB prospect in the country. 

( yes, I heard what BB said about OM and Fla's recruiting-ole BB sure isn't scared to put it all out there. LOL)

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: Karma on February 03, 2016, 01:17:34 pm
An area that is attractive to an adult professional may be less so to a 17 year old athlete.
apparently you are spot on.  Good point.

IronHog

I've been telling y'all why for years and all anyone gets is the bum hurt.

Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on February 03, 2016, 01:22:15 pm
I hear ya and that makes sense.  So how does one explain Ole Miss?  Its a small town that is booming, but it cant have anything on Fayetteville and NW Arkansas.  Its in one of the most racist states in all the country.  The confederate flag is part of the state flag.  Its 90 mins from Memphis- a 1M population metro area, but its not like there is a ton of night life and such that would interest a kid from say Miami or Chicago yet I heard Ole Miss is going to sign like 12-13 4 star players and they got the best QB prospect in the country. 

( yes, I heard what BB said about OM and Fla's recruiting-ole BB sure isn't scared to put it all out there. LOL)

Oxford is in the middle of southern Afr Amer culture.  Not far from Memphis.  It is more "home" than NWA.  Racism exists everywhere.  Ignoring the accusations of their tactics, OM offers southern Afr Amer a chance to stay within their region at an SEC program with facilities being upgraded.  What they experience in Oxford won't be unfamiliar to them.  Need to clarify that I don't believe NWA has issues. 

LJHOG

Quote from: GalaHawg on February 03, 2016, 12:16:41 pm
Devin White - LSU
Kyle Porter - Texas
Tyrie Cleveland - Florida
Kellen Diesch - TAMU
Eric Cuffee - Texas
Brandon Jones - Texas
Kris Fulton - LSU
There is no joy in Mudville.

HogFoo

Does anyone actually believe ole miss is legitimate?  I remember back when ole hootie was the coach and they signed like 47 players one year.  Of those players they signed like the #1, #2,#3,#4 WR in america.   This was under Nutts offense!! I knew right then that ole miss went riding dirty and they have ever since.  You cant tell me  hugh freeze comes in his first year and gets a top class at ole miss legitimately when he had no previous experience as a big time coach.  And then he does it a few years .  There is just no way they arent cheating. 

U can look back at say a team like bama when they payed albert means $275k to go to bama.  They got in trouble but nothing like they probably should have got.  These teams that were once powerhouses dont have to pay players once they get it rolling again.  They just do it until they get a few great teams under the belt. Like say bama, i doubt they have to pay players to go there now, but i dont doubt for a second they did a few times after the albert means deal.  Auburn did it.    I look at ole miss and its just obvious they are doing it.  And really, what does a coach have to lose in a case like that?  If they dont win enough games they are going to get fired anyways.  If they pay for players and get caught theyll get fired , but they can always blame it on some rogue assistant coach . Haha.  Anyways, I'm just tired of seeing a crappy team like ole miss cheating and getting top recruiting classes.  :/

lilRockNDubb

Quote from: hollywood hog on February 03, 2016, 12:19:22 pm
Tenpenny, Frazier, Hill...  all instate guys.  Can't blame the coaches for them either

But they didn't shine when they left..

lilRockNDubb

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 03, 2016, 01:26:51 pm
Oxford is in the middle of southern Afr Amer culture.  Not far from Memphis.  It is more "home" than NWA.  Racism exists everywhere.  Ignoring the accusations of their tactics, OM offers southern Afr Amer a chance to stay within their region at an SEC program with facilities being upgraded.  What they experience in Oxford won't be unfamiliar to them.  Need to clarify that I don't believe NWA has issues.

Have you been to Oxford? Not the campus.. The city.  It isn't any where near that culture.

HogFoo

Quote from: Surfing8 on February 03, 2016, 01:34:30 pm
You're not tired of good teams cheating and getting top recruiting classes?

The only difference is when they started doing it to the extent that they're doing it now.
from Coach Bs remark, sounds like UF is on the take now too just like Ole miss. I wouldnt doubt that UGA was as well. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: LJHOG on February 03, 2016, 01:32:56 pm
There is no joy in Mudville.

Quote from: lilRockNDubb on February 03, 2016, 01:36:51 pm

Have you been to Oxford? Not the campus.. The city.  It isn't any where near that culture.

I've been to Oxford many times.  Nice little town.  Been to Batesville, Holly Springs, Pontotoc, Tupelo,...?  Oxford is in the heart of the mid South. 

DeltaBoy

I blame Federal Judge Henry Woods who destroyed Central Ark Football with his pet desegregation case.  We are not producing the kids in Central Ark or even in Pine Bluff we used too. 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

IronHog

Did you see all the NWA fans whining about having to go to Memphis during the bowl?

trying to recruit southern kids to a place that looks down on them will always be a losing proposition.

The problem has and always will be the location of campus......and those that live there.

Uncommon

Quote from: IronHog on February 03, 2016, 03:53:09 pm
Did you see all the NWA fans whining about having to go to Memphis during the bowl?

trying to recruit southern kids to a place that looks down on them will always be a losing proposition.

The problem has and always will be the location of campus......and those that live there.
It wasn't Memphis so much it was the opponent we were selected to play.  Don't mind playing in Memphis but I'd like to play someone besides Kansas State in a bowl.

And us in NWA do not "look down" on southern Arkansans at all.  Just because we dislike the program playing games in Little Rock due to numerous common sense, fiscal, and recruiting reasons doesn't mean we have disdain for central and southern Arkansas.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: IronHog on February 03, 2016, 03:53:09 pm

I complained about it too and look down on Memphis. 

IronHog

Quote from: Uncommon on February 03, 2016, 04:00:35 pm
It wasn't Memphis so much it was the opponent we were selected to play.  Don't mind playing in Memphis but I'd like to play someone besides Kansas State in a bowl.

And us in NWA do not "look down" on southern Arkansans at all.  Just because we dislike the program playing games in Little Rock due to numerous common sense, fiscal, and recruiting reasons doesn't mean we have disdain for central and southern Arkansas.

UofA doesn't feel southern and has an attitude that gives off a strange vibe IMO. 

Lock down Arkansas, get what they can from LA and Texas cause the Deep South kids ain't coming unless they're out of options.

redeye

I never felt we had much chance with Cuffee or Brandon Jones, so those two don't faze me anymore then missing out on Rashan Gary.

Nuttcracker, Sweet!

Three words of caution:

'Letter of Inquiry' or whatever the term is now for being under investigation. 'Bama runs the SEC office and 'Bama will not sit still for losing 4-5 star recruits to OM, not to mention losing to them two years in a row on the field.

There could be a bowl ban before those kids just signed finish their three years on the way to the NFL...
Making fun of Hootie since 2003