Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What's left?

Started by TebowHater, February 03, 2016, 12:05:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TebowHater

Forever, we have always preached if we just get them on campus then we have a very good chance. Hopefully this year was just a fluke, but to get so many on campus (even multiple times in some cases) only to see them go elsewhere is really heart breaking. Nonetheless, we have a very solid group of HOGS and will continue to beat LSwho and Texass by borderline erotic margins. Good first step getting those guys here this year though.

dowils

we didn't land anyone.  Thats very disappointing....Why do you think we whiffed?

cardinalandwhite

We have had quite a bit of success getting kids on campus. Just not the week of the 22nd apparently.
"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

buldozer

Hayden1865

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never make it out alive.

Atlhogfan1

I would think the chances are certainly better if you get them to campus than if you don't.

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

buldozer

Prolly cause we are only winning 7 or 8 games right now would be my guess

FWF79

TebowHater

Quote from: cardinalandwhite on February 03, 2016, 12:07:36 pm
We have had quite a bit of success getting kids on campus. Just not the week of the 22nd apparently.

Or Porter last weekend...

Atlhogfan1

Where were those recruits from and what programs did they choose?
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Uncommon

Man...Can't believe it looks like we won't get anybody new on signing day.  Probably a first in a long time.  Our class ranking will reflect it.  Hate it didn't improve from last season but it would've been hard considering the small in-state crop.  Didn't have many seniors anyway.  Plus, we redshirted a lot of our 2015 class so those guys should be developed, tuned up, and ready to go.

soooieman

Is there anything left this afternoon that we should be watching for? Or is the drama over?

TXrazorback

Quote from: dowils on February 03, 2016, 12:06:14 pm
we didn't land anyone.  Thats very disappointing....Why do you think we whiffed?

This statement is incorrect so I won't answer your question.
Quote from: Hawg Balling on December 04, 2012, 03:59:08 pm
According to Hogville, fantasy offense and passing 80 times a game wins championships.

FWF79

cardinalandwhite

Quote from: FWF79 on February 03, 2016, 12:09:02 pm
We need some recruiters

As we sign the best class we've had in a long, long time?

regi

What a total waste, the weekend vists of the 23rd were....very #common

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: TebowHater on February 03, 2016, 12:05:45 pm
Forever, we have always preached if we just get them on campus then we have a very good chance. Hopefully this year was just a fluke, but to get so many on campus (even multiple times in some cases) only to see them go elsewhere is really heart breaking. Nonetheless, we have a very solid group of HOGS and will continue to beat LSwho and Texass by borderline erotic margins. Good first step getting those guys here this year though.

No, what has always been said is "get them on campus, we'll have a shot".  I think we had a shot with these last kids, just how much of a shot I'm not really sure.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

NaturalStateReb

That's just part of recruiting. You don't win them all.

It's a bit like selling cars. You won't make a sale to everyone on the lot, but it's hard to make a sale to say someone you can't get on the lot.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

TebowHater

Quote from: cardinalandwhite on February 03, 2016, 12:12:44 pm

This wasn't the best class we've had in a long time at all. Could actually end up worse than last year

dowils

Well, out of Fulton, Cleveland and Porter, there was all the hype and it seemed a good bit of optimism and we didn't get any of them. I should clarify the any....

GVTD

We have to prove we can win consistently to be able to pull these types of recruits from bigger programs.  Just how it is.  There was big progress made this year - we had cumulatively the most talent we've ever had visit Fayetteville and consider us.  The relationships the coaches are building now with high school coaches around the country will pay off once things start rolling.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Get them on campus and you have a chance. We are signing an awesome class. Some of these kids we missed on would be the equivalent of DMAC picking LSU over the HOGS. It was not just about one school VS the other, it was family pressure, etc.

HOGINTENNESSEE

We still hit on 2 top 50 players. Getting them on campus is still the key. That Jan 22 group is what happens to other SEC schools every weekend to finish. We just need more of it.

FWF79

Good class.   I will agree, but they have to close on some of them. 

dowils

Quote from: regi on February 03, 2016, 12:09:54 pm
What a total waste, the weekend vists of the 23rd were....very #common

Thats what I was feeling...

TebowHater

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on February 03, 2016, 12:14:15 pm
We still hit on 2 top 50 players. Getting them on campus is still the key. That Jan 22 group is what happens to other SEC schools every weekend to finish. We just need more of it.

That is a good point actually.

RME

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on February 03, 2016, 12:11:40 pm
That's just part of recruiting. You don't win them all.

It's a bit like selling cars. You won't make a sale to everyone on the lot, but it's hard to make a sale to say someone you can't get on the lot.

Forewarning: You walked right into that one

Uncommon

Calvin Bundage at 2:30 but with how this day is going I may just have a Theraflu whiskey cocktail and take a nap.

opineonswine

Quote from: FWF79 on February 03, 2016, 12:09:02 pm
We need some recruiters

What we need is homegrown talent.  That has been the biggest disadvantage for Arkansas in the last century.  It's gotten worse as the LR school district detioriated.

Bubba's Bruisers

I don't see it.  It's similar to many classes.  Last year's class was arguably just as good.  Maybe better.

On paper, this class is strongest on the defensive front 7 with offensive skill position after that.  OL and DB are well behind.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Zen_Hog

Get ready for the CBB conference

davispard

Quote from: TebowHater on February 03, 2016, 12:14:12 pm
This wasn't the best class we've had in a long time at all. Could actually end up worse than last year
What a friggin TROLL!!!!!!!!!  Cause you cannot be a Hog Fan!!!!!!!!!!

Big Boi

El Puerco

jacobp

You can watch Bundage if you want but I haven't read anything to suggest he's coming here

JayBell

Quote from: cardinalandwhite on February 03, 2016, 12:12:44 pmAs we sign the best class we've had in a long, long time?

Based on what, exactly?  Certainly not recruiting rankings or stars.  Anything beyond that is conjecture if you're calling it the "best class we've had in a long, long time?"  That might end up being the case, but there's nothing tangible to base that statement on.

HawgTrough

rough day for sure. I set my hopes too high
WPS

azhog10

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 03, 2016, 12:09:34 pm
Where were those recruits from and what programs did they choose?
Lets not make excuses. No matter the sport UofA coaches have to recruit from outside the state, plain and simple. He knew that coming in, and I think he's getting there. But where they are from and who they chose doesn't seem like an excuse that should hold much water. I think we walked away from today with some really good players, but we definitely missed on some big names we were in the running for.

TXrazorback

Quote from: dowils on February 03, 2016, 12:13:32 pm
Well, out of Fulton, Cleveland and Porter, there was all the hype and it seemed a good bit of optimism and we didn't get any of them. I should clarify the any....

Fair enough.  I can agree with you on that.  I think the problem is that we are not there as a program yet and if you are not careful, you set unrealistic expectations based on message board "sources".  Are we headed that way...I believe so.  We need to continue our upward trend to capture this elite talent.  Don't forget, we have a great class this year and one 5 star in Agim.  Besides the "stars", I trust that our coaches will put the right guys in place to win. 
Quote from: Hawg Balling on December 04, 2012, 03:59:08 pm
According to Hogville, fantasy offense and passing 80 times a game wins championships.

TebowHater

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on February 03, 2016, 12:15:06 pm
Get them on campus and you have a chance. We are signing an awesome class. Some of these kids we missed on would be the equivalent of DMAC picking LSU over the HOGS. It was not just about one school VS the other, it was family pressure, etc.

Not really...Texas has tons of people of that caliber. In Ark that would have been a huge deal because a 5* caliber RB out of Ark comes once every 10 years and would widely be best player in class. In Texas, there are many each year. Whaley, Porter then there are other studs in the state like TC (who went out of state because this comparison is not accurate)

JayBell

Fans have to hope this is the last year before Arkansas gets over the hump.  From all accounts, they were really close to landing Porter, Fulton and especially Cleveland.  Lock up those three and this class looks mightily different.

Land a few more difference makers like that every year and it can change the perception of the program.

AirWarren

No. Getting them to campus has proved time and time again that it's not enough.

hawg IQ

Still think blowing those first couple games played into recruiting.  Two more wins makes hogs a little more attractive. Also some negatives out there on BB's remarks over past year. Yet recruiting is something that needs to be addressed and maybe more investment.
go hogs go !

azhog10

As it stands right now we actually signed a better class last year.........

TebowHater

Quote from: davispard on February 03, 2016, 12:16:08 pm
What a friggin TROLL!!!!!!!!!  Cause you cannot be a Hog Fan!!!!!!!!!!

No! I bleed redder than anyone. Look at the class! I am not exagerating. It is right on par. I am happy with it, but it isn't unreal. The hype of it being unreal was built on the premise that we land 1-3 of the 8 or so top 100 players we had on campus. We got zero. Thus it is going to end up right on par, as someone else pointed out, below UK.

Quote from: azhog10 on February 03, 2016, 12:19:27 pm
As it stands right now we actually signed a better class last year.........

FATHAWG08

I hope it doesn't change CBB & staff mind about leaving because UA is at a big disadvantage when comes to recruiting. Look what LSU just accomplished with a Coach who may not be there next year.
I love off season Football!!

cardinalandwhite

Quote from: JayBell on February 03, 2016, 12:15:36 pm
Based on what, exactly?  Certainly not recruiting rankings or stars.  Anything beyond that is conjecture if you're calling it the "best class we've had in a long, long time?"  That might end up being the case, but there's nothing tangible to base that statement on.

Based on recruiting rankings. I don't remember the thread, but there's a screens hot of our average 247 ranking per player (the score along with their star ranking), and this class is the highest of the last decade. Last year after that. And last year had a HUGE in-state haul compared to this year.

hawg IQ

Quote from: JayBell on February 03, 2016, 12:17:31 pm
Fans have to hope this is the last year before Arkansas gets over the hump.  From all accounts, they were really close to landing Porter, Fulton and especially Cleveland.  Lock up those three and this class looks mightily different.

Land a few more difference makers like that every year and it can change the perception of the program.
Losing Polliard to USC hurt also.
go hogs go !

GVTD

Quote from: opineonswine on February 03, 2016, 12:14:53 pm
What we need is homegrown talent.  That has been the biggest disadvantage for Arkansas in the last century.  It's gotten worse as the LR school district detioriated.

This.  I don't know how it would be accomplished but the state needs to work on improving high school football here. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: azhog10 on February 03, 2016, 12:17:23 pm
Lets not make excuses. No matter the sport UofA coaches have to recruit from outside the state, plain and simple. He knew that coming in, and I think he's getting there. But where they are from and who they chose doesn't seem like an excuse that should hold much water. I think we walked away from today with some really good players, but we definitely missed on some big names we were in the running for.

Don't stalk outside of Jump Ball.  We know your agenda.  This is a football discussion.  I'll be happy to discuss Anderson and your boy Zimmerman in a basketball related forum.