Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Longhorns surprising run

Started by billmontgomery10, February 03, 2016, 10:41:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogberry Snortcake

Every fricking thread.  Can you guys hold your whining 'til tomorrow?

TNhawgfan

Texas up from 32 to 18 according to ESPN is very surprising to me
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Tusks

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 03, 2016, 11:04:15 am
??

Show me where I said recruiting is a "totally clean business".

No, don't say, "Well I assumed" or anything like that. Show me where I said it. Yay, a pissing match.

I think some schools have a 'machine' or are 'organized' about how they cheat.  I think they pay families, jobs for relatives and yes some cash direct to the kids.  I know too many direct happenings.

I think the big 'machine' schools absolutely cheat, all of them.  I think the hogs try to get as close to the edge without going over it.  We're not that organized to cheat on that level.

Go back and read the SMU report.  The [CENSORED] president of SMU ok'd envelopes of cash to be handed out to the players.  They put recruits up in Dallas 5* hotels with all the hookers, booze, drugs and room service they wanted for 2 - 3 days at a time.  And not 1 girl but 2 or 3.

I don't think the UA is perfect but they are pushing a boulder uphill in the recruiting game, not because Fayetteville is hard to recruit to but because the Hogs don't have a recruiting machine like the big boys.

The irony of all ironies is that if the Hogs decided to take that step they could blow every school in the country out of the water.  First get Wal-Mart people involved, they can get a nickel out of two penny's like no one else in the world.  Have them manage the cash and then take the 3 fortune 500 companies in NWA and use their resources.  Every 5 Star recruits family has a job watching paint dry for $100,000 a year etc.

Not another school could touch the hogs, unlimited resources and cash managers that know how to move volumes of money in small amounts.

You think Im kidding and probably dramatic but if you think Hugh Freeze is the 2nd best recruiter in the country I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

Think of how much money is at stake and then take human nature and tell me what's going to happen.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

theFlyingHog

Quote from: TNhawgfan on February 03, 2016, 11:16:48 am
Texas up from 32 to 18 according to ESPN is very surprising to me
Yup. You don't have the crap play and be as uncool in Texas as they have become and then all of a sudden start pulling in a class like this without some shady

010HogFan

Quote from: DMACKNOWS on February 03, 2016, 11:18:30 am
Well you just proved you're a troll.  It's been obvious you're an idiot millennial.

You just stated Mississippi was a talent rich state, implying that's why Ole Miss was doing so well.  Then countered with the opposite.  You're just trolling.  You still think Oklahoma State could compete in the west.  You're just another child that plays contrarian for attention. 

Exactly, there's no arguing with this dweeb.

RME

Well you just proved you're a troll.  It's been obvious you're an idiot millennial.

You just stated Mississippi was a talent rich state, implying that's why Ole Miss was doing so well.  Then countered with the opposite.  You're just trolling.  You still think Oklahoma State could compete in the west.  You're just another child that plays contrarian for attention.

Ugh, ad hominems. Can't you do better?

lilRockNDubb

Quote from: gguillo on February 03, 2016, 10:45:27 am
Austin, TX - One of the best cities to live in if you're in college or under the age of 25.

And like traffic

TNhawgfan

Quote from: theFlyingHog on February 03, 2016, 11:19:06 am
Yup. You don't have the crap play and be as uncool in Texas as they have become and then all of a sudden start pulling in a class like this without some shady
I feel you flying, and don't forget to add in the desperation on coaches factor
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

theFlyingHog

Quote from: gguillo on February 03, 2016, 10:45:27 am
Austin, TX - One of the best cities to live in if you're in college or under the age of 25.
For some. I preferred Stuttgart when I was in my 20's. Small town country girls, fishing and duck hunting.

opineonswine

Quote from: ChattanoogaHog on February 03, 2016, 11:15:18 am
Good for Charlie Strong, I really liked him when he was at Louisville and hope he brings back the Texas program. College football is better when they are good. To all the old-timers on here, sorry. I am a 21 y/o Hog fan and don't have a hatred for Texas like some of you older generations might!
Rumor is he negative recruited against Arkansas by trying to scare recruits about things that are untrue about the state that I won't repeat on here.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: TNhawgfan on February 03, 2016, 11:22:55 am
I feel you flying, and don't forget to add in the desperation on coaches factor
That too. Recruits can feel that uncertainty like dogs and babies know who the jackasses are

theFlyingHog

Quote from: opineonswine on February 03, 2016, 11:24:10 am
Rumor is he negative recruited against Arkansas by trying to scare recruits about things that are untrue about the state that I won't repeat on here.
PM please

RME

Ole Miss does have a lot of in state talent. For them to keep that talent, plus add on to others outside of Mississippi, predominantly the South, is icing on cake.

Arkansas usually holds onto our own highly rated talent, and then we add on to others outside of Arkansas, predominantly in the South, which is icing on the cake.

However, the in state talent between Mississippi and Arkansas is quite different. Both schools pull from all over the South. However, Ole Miss keeps their higher rated and more numerous in state kids, which helps their overall ranking. See how that works?

Also never said OK State would compete in the West. Unless you consider winning 7/8 games as "competing".

Tusks

You mean former hog coach and recruiting coordinator Chris Vaughan.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

010HogFan

That's legitimately the only way Ole Miss COULD pull a class like this, and you're only kidding yourself if you immediately discredit the idea. You have to look at when OM STARTED pulling these classes in...they were nothing. These top recruits weren't looking at them. Maybe a 6-7 win a year team...not even on our level of interest among recruits...what changed?

opineonswine

Quote from: tusked on February 03, 2016, 11:27:17 am
You mean former hog coach and recruiting coordinator Chris Vaughan.

Well that wouldn't surprise me in the least but I was specifically told it was Strong.

redeye

I've always liked Charlie Strong, but I wondered about that.  I assume that explains some of Chris Daniels' recent comments.

I'd really like to know what he said.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: opineonswine on February 03, 2016, 11:29:05 am
Well that wouldn't surprise me in the least but I was specifically told it was Strong.
Maybe that will get rid of some of the CS lovers around here.

Tuck Fexas ::hornsdown::

RME

Quote from: 010HogFan on February 03, 2016, 11:28:57 am
That's legitimately the only way Ole Miss COULD pull a class like this, and you're only kidding yourself if you immediately discredit the idea. You have to look at when OM STARTED pulling these classes in...they were nothing. These top recruits weren't looking at them. Maybe a 6-7 win a year team...not even on our level of interest among recruits...what changed?

Arkansas has won 3, 7, and 8 games in the past 3 seasons and top recruits have been looking at us during those times...so...what's your point?

Ole Miss has added a win every year Freeze has been there and they just won the Sugar Bowl. That's what's changed. If Arkansas adds one more win per year under Bielema, I fully expect us to be in the Top 10 recruiting class year in and year out.

Ole Miss might be cheating. I never said that they absolutely were not. None of us yayhoos on this message board know if they are or not. But yeah, I did say that just because someone does something better than me, I don't automatically assume the worst.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 03, 2016, 11:36:54 am
Arkansas has won 3, 7, and 8 games in the past 3 seasons and top recruits have been looking at us during those times...so...what's your point?

Ole Miss has added a win every year Freeze has been there and they just won the Sugar Bowl. That's what's changed. If Arkansas adds one more win per year under Bielema, I fully expect us to be in the Top 10 recruiting class year in and year out.

Ole Miss might be cheating. I never said that they absolutely were not. None of us yayhoos on this message board know if they are or not. But yeah, I did say that just because someone does something better than me, I don't automatically assume the worst.
You and all the rest of us know they started pulling in abnormally high ranked classes before they started winning. Troll go home. Can't wait til you get the boot

RME

Quote from: DMACKNOWS on February 03, 2016, 11:34:52 am
This isn't about the Mississippi kids.  It's about getting two of the top 5 kids in Texas.  It's about getting kids from outside the South.  Try to keep up. 

Yes you compared Ok State to Auburn.  Auburn played for a national championship a couple of years ago.  Keep spinning, like you kids do these days.  I'll make you dizzy kiddo.

Arkansas got Whaley out of Texas. And Guidry from Louisiana.

About getting kids from outside the South...how many did Ole Miss get? In comparison, how many did Arkansas land from outside of the South this year?

If you'd like to PM me and hurl insults, go ahead. Keep your ad hominem attacks from cluttering up this board for others to have to see.

RME

Quote from: theFlyingHog on February 03, 2016, 11:39:43 am
You and all the rest of us know they started pulling in abnormally high ranked classes before they started winning. Troll go home. Can't wait til you get the boot

Yeah, a different opinion and looking at a situation objectively, with 0 proof apart from Tunsil and the loaner car, makes me a troll. Just because I don't agree with you and because I have an objective view that requires facts and an NCAA verdict to make me believe something, that makes me a troll.

010HogFan

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 03, 2016, 11:36:54 am

Our win total is irrelevant to this discussion, because we don't have the #2 class in the country. That's what this discussion is about. If anything, you furthered my point.

How exactly do you think the talent necessary to win a Sugar Bowl came about?

RME

Quote from: 010HogFan on February 03, 2016, 11:43:23 am
Our win total is irrelevant to this discussion, because we don't have the #2 class in the country. That's what this discussion is about. If anything, you furthered my point.

How exactly do you think the talent necessary to win a Sugar Bowl came about?

If we win 8 games next season and have the #2 class in the country, what will be your reasoning for that?

010HogFan

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 03, 2016, 11:45:17 am
If we win 8 games next season and have the #2 class in the country, what will be your reasoning for that?

We found out what Ole Miss was doing

RME

Quote from: 010HogFan on February 03, 2016, 11:46:33 am
We found out what Ole Miss was doing

What are you insinuating by saying that?

Temprees

Quote from: razoredge178 on February 03, 2016, 10:49:47 am
Huge late run is surprising considering that athletic department is completely dysfunctional right now. Charlie will likely be gone during or after next season.
I disagree.  Strong is recruiting his type of players (mentally wise). He had to clear out the mentally weak.  Texas will continue to get better under Strong. 

010HogFan

Quote from: DMACKNOWS on February 03, 2016, 11:46:42 am
Guidry wasn't offered by LSU. 

You're comparing kids that everyone wanted to kids that weren't as highly recruited.  You don't have any idea what you're talking about.  You're just typing stuff. 

I don't want to PM you, creep.  I want to use you as an example to all the college students out there that want to play lil ole arkysaw contrarian, and display how messed up your generation is.

We're not getting kids everyone wanted from all over the country, without reasonable explanation.  Don't forget we've beat them two years in a row, and they still haven't won a division title.  They just went to the Sugar bowl for the first time in 45 years, but yeah they just have more to sell or better recruiters. 
Hey, don't group us all together. I'm a millennial, and I'm completely on your side of this.

010HogFan

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 03, 2016, 11:47:11 am
What are you insinuating by saying that?

I'm nowhere near smart enough to know what they're doing, but they're doin somethin'

RME

Quote from: DMACKNOWS on February 03, 2016, 11:46:42 am
Guidry wasn't offered by LSU. 

You're comparing kids that everyone wanted to kids that weren't as highly recruited.  You don't have any idea what you're talking about.  You're just typing stuff. 

I don't want to PM you, creep.  I want to use you as an example to all the college students out there that want to play lil ole arkysaw contrarian, and display how messed up your generation is.

We're not getting kids everyone wanted from all over the country, without reasonable explanation.  Don't forget we've beat them two years in a row, and they still haven't won a division title.  They just went to the Sugar bowl for the first time in 45 years, but yeah they just have more to sell or better recruiters.

Really? http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Briston-Guidry-40917/RecruitInterests

Where have I ever said anything about poor Arkansas? I never have. I like Bielema and I like the way we're heading. I never once griped about him, the program, or our recruiting class. Not once.

Exactly. We beat them twice in a row. They could have the #1 class year in and year out, and if we beat them, I do not give a rat's ass what classes they're pulling in. Why get so worked up over their classes if we're still beating them? We take care of business against Toledo, A&M, and MS State, and that's us in the Sugar Bowl.

DeltaBoy

Charlie a strong recruiter and in one of the most fertile states for D-1 players in the Nation..
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Iwastherein1969

Never get too high or too low in this recruiting race. Twenty years ago before following recruiting proved it could make a huge profit no one really cared about this time of the year except a very few and the families' of the players. Three or four years from now is where the rubber meets the road on the class of 2016. I am not worried nor am I pumped up about any player. They all have a lot to prove. Que' sera', sera' !
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

jm

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 03, 2016, 11:27:12 am
Ole Miss does have a lot of in state talent. For them to keep that talent, plus add on to others outside of Mississippi, predominantly the South, is icing on cake.

Arkansas usually holds onto our own highly rated talent, and then we add on to others outside of Arkansas, predominantly in the South, which is icing on the cake.

However, the in state talent between Mississippi and Arkansas is quite different. Both schools pull from all over the South. However, Ole Miss keeps their higher rated and more numerous in state kids, which helps their overall ranking. See how that works?

Also never said OK State would compete in the West. Unless you consider winning 7/8 games as "competing".

Mississippi is the only state that I know of that black guys were still not allowed on some public golf courses as recently as the 1990's. I witnessed a situation where anyone could use the school gym on Sunday aftrenoon as long as a "white guy" would go pick up the keys and make sure it was locked up later. It is just surprising that with the "Black Lives Matter" movement that kids will willingly go into a situation where black lives don't (or at least didn't 15 or 20 years ago) really matter.

RME

Quote from: DMACKNOWS on February 03, 2016, 11:49:10 am
If that happens we are cheating.  But it won't.  I'd bet your hogville membership.

Whoaaaaaaaaaaaaa. If Arkansas only wins 8 games and has the #2 class, it's because we're cheating? Not because kids have bought into the program, or love Bielema, or anything of the like?

There, my friend, is you employing the "poor Arkiesaw argument." You think the only way we could get guys that put us at #2 is to cheat, and not because of the school, program, or coaches.

Uh oh.

010HogFan

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 03, 2016, 11:54:15 am
Whoaaaaaaaaaaaaa. If Arkansas only wins 8 games and has the #2 class, it's because we're cheating? Not because kids have bought into the program, or love Bielema, or anything of the like?

There, my friend, is you employing the "poor Arkiesaw argument." You think the only way we could get guys that put us at #2 is to cheat, and not because of the school, program, or coaches.

Uh oh.

Has any program with somewhat limited success on the field and in recruiting ever jumped from a perennial 20-30's in rankings to #2 in the next class? That would almost certainly require a third variable, if we're being honest.

opineonswine

Charlie Strong is a mediocre coach and won't last at Texas.

RME

Quote from: 010HogFan on February 03, 2016, 12:00:54 pm
Has any program with somewhat limited success on the field and in recruiting ever jumped from a perennial 20-30's in rankings to #2 in the next class? That would almost certainly require a third variable, if we're being honest.

It may or may not require a third variable. We don't know. Like I said, they might be cheating. I just don't believe in buying into groupthink until there is definitive proof or an NCAA verdict.

And that's fine. Like I just said, if Arkansas were to win 8 next year and pull in a top 5 class, you and DMAC attribute that to cheating, not players buying into the program or the coaches. And that, as I said, is the "poor Arkiesaw" argument. I never made that argument. But you and DMAC saying that it would be cheating, and not Bielema or the U of A that gets a class that high, is a prime example of the "woe is me Arkansas."

010HogFan

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 03, 2016, 12:08:47 pm
It may or may not require a third variable. We don't know. Like I said, they might be cheating. I just don't believe in buying into groupthink until there is definitive proof or an NCAA verdict.

And that's fine. Like I just said, if Arkansas were to win 8 next year and pull in a top 5 class, you and DMAC attribute that to cheating, not players buying into the program or the coaches. And that, as I said, is the "poor Arkiesaw" argument. I never made that argument. But you and DMAC saying that it would be cheating, and not Bielema or the U of A that gets a class that high, is a prime example of the "woe is me Arkansas."

I can see where that is a decent argument, but you also have years of historical data to back up the fact that substantially rising in the recruiting rankings is a little tougher than a few kids buying into a program because they like the coach. There is a trend when you talk about things like this, and Ole Miss' overnight successes are an outlier.

RME

Quote from: 010HogFan on February 03, 2016, 12:19:47 pm
I can see where that is a decent argument, but you also have years of historical data to back up the fact that substantially rising in the recruiting rankings is a little tougher than a few kids buying into a program because they like the coach. There is a trend when you talk about things like this, and Ole Miss' overnight successes are an outlier.

It's definitely eye-opening, I will agree with you there. But also, think about it this way: Arkansas lands Fulton, Cleveland, and Porter, and all of a sudden our ranking skyrockets, even though we're coming off an 8-win season and a ranking last year in the 20s for recruiting. That may not push our class to top 5, but it would be close. My point is, it's not out of the question, and Ole Miss is somehow hitting on those recruits to push them over. It may be money. It may be Freeze and his assistants. It may be that they've added a win every year. We don't know.

See, isn't discussion like this much better than throwing childish insults around?

010HogFan

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 03, 2016, 12:23:48 pm
It's definitely eye-opening, I will agree with you there. But also, think about it this way: Arkansas lands Fulton, Cleveland, and Porter, and all of a sudden our ranking skyrockets, even though we're coming off an 8-win season and a ranking last year in the 20s for recruiting. That may not push our class to top 5, but it would be close. My point is, it's not out of the question, and Ole Miss is somehow hitting on those recruits to push them over. It may be money. It may be Freeze and his assistants. It may be that they've added a win every year. We don't know.

See, isn't discussion like this much better than throwing childish insults around?

Like I said, I can't say for sure on any of it, because I don't know...I just like having something to complain about when things aren't going our way and OM is an easy target right now. Makes for an interesting discussion, and last week, when the recruiting violation news came out I was all ears hoping they would get slammed. It is intriguing how there is this much smoke, but no tangible evidence or even much investigation going on. If they are doing something, they are very good at it...if not, I guess we just have some catching up to do.

Cure

It's not surprising, Charlie Strong can recruit against anybody and has proven he can develop talent at a high level.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

opineonswine

Quote from: Cure on February 03, 2016, 12:35:55 pm
It's not surprising, Charlie Strong can recruit against anybody and has proven he can develop talent at a high level.

Baloney.

TebowHater

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 03, 2016, 11:54:15 am

Uh oh.

Yes if HDN was not fired in 2007 but instead got one more year and we signed a #2 class after winning 8 games despite the dumpster fire state the program was in, we would be cheating. Very similar situation to where Tx is at.

RME

Quote from: 010HogFan on February 03, 2016, 12:32:30 pm
Like I said, I can't say for sure on any of it, because I don't know...I just like having something to complain about when things aren't going our way and OM is an easy target right now. Makes for an interesting discussion, and last week, when the recruiting violation news came out I was all ears hoping they would get slammed. It is intriguing how there is this much smoke, but no tangible evidence or even much investigation going on. If they are doing something, they are very good at it...if not, I guess we just have some catching up to do.

That's fair. It is easy to blame Ole Miss and to look over there with a biased eye because, yeah, it is odd how they've jumped so high in the rankings. But also, look at Michigan.

2010: 7-6 #17 class
2011: 11-2 #26 class
2012: 8-5 #6 class
2013: 7-6 #4 class
2014: 5-7 #20 class
2015: 10-3 #37 class
2016: ??-?? #6 class

And people talk about Ole Miss pulling guys from everywhere...take a look at some of those guys in Michigan's classes (and yes I know the history of Michigan and Ole Miss are not comparable.) But multiple guys from Florida, New Jersey, Tennessee, etc.

Ole Miss' recent recruiting success is odd. But it's not entirely unprecedented.

RME

Quote from: TebowHater on February 03, 2016, 12:39:57 pm
Yes if HDN was not fired in 2007 but instead got one more year and we signed a #2 class after winning 8 games despite the dumpster fire state the program was in, we would be cheating. Very similar situation to where Tx is at.

No it's not. Texas is arguably the most fertile recruiting ground in the country, and kids are staying in Texas to play for Texas. It's not that outlandish.

TebowHater

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 03, 2016, 12:40:26 pm
That's fair. It is easy to blame Ole Miss and to look over there with a biased eye because, yeah, it is odd how they've jumped so high in the rankings. But also, look at Michigan.

And people talk about Ole Miss pulling guys from everywhere...take a look at some of those guys in Michigan's classes (and yes I know the history of Michigan and Ole Miss are not comparable.) But multiple guys from Florida, New Jersey, Tennessee, etc.

Ole Miss' recent recruiting success is odd. But it's not entirely unprecedented.

You can't compare Harbaugh and Hugh Freeze. Forget the history of the program. Yes, if Saban or Harbaugh became our coach or Ole Miss coach then I would not chalk it up to cheating to see our rank sky rocket. That is a product of a coach who is nationally famous, recognized, and a proven winner.

010HogFan

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 03, 2016, 12:40:26 pm

True, but this is probably all you need to know about Michigan's class this year:

TebowHater

Reminder of your post.

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 03, 2016, 12:41:33 pm
No it's not. Texas is arguably the most fertile recruiting ground in the country, and kids are staying in Texas to play for Texas. It's not that outlandish.

There, my friend, is you employing the "poor Arkiesaw argument." You think the only way we could get guys that put us at #2 is to cheat, and not because of the school, program, or coaches. "

So yes, I would think cheating if this happened to ARK as you hypothesized.

Cure

Quote from: Surfing8 on February 03, 2016, 12:39:49 pm
Charlie Strong has proven himself willing to work with boosters who can recruit against anybody. 

Check his classes at Louisville and the results on the field/classroom.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

scruf

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 03, 2016, 10:44:28 am
Not that hard to believe that TX kids went to TX. 

Not a surprise. Add them to a list of talented kids that chose poorly.