Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Longhorns surprising run

Started by billmontgomery10, February 03, 2016, 10:41:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

billmontgomery10

Hard to believe that Porter, Jones and Daniels all chose UT over the Hogs. Charlie Strong better win this year or these 3 will be playing fir a new coach in 2017.

PorkRinds

Not that hard to believe that TX kids went to TX. 

onebadrubi

They are definitely closing strong.  Almost UT of old when it comes to recruiting that state. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 03, 2016, 10:44:30 am
They are definitely closing strong.  Almost UT of old when it comes to recruiting that state.

Except UT of old would have had their class full by last March... ::hornsdown::

RME

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 03, 2016, 10:44:28 am

Absolutely mind-boggling, innit?

Kenny Dowell Loggains

Austin, TX - One of the best cities to live in if you're in college or under the age of 25.

TexasRazorback

Don't think its too shocking. Jones stated staying in state was key for him. You won't win them all. Just as we missed on them we hit with Whaley. We have a great class, don't get so caught up in the misses

Bubba's Bruisers

Charlie will be successful there if given a fighting chance.  Not surprised UT signed top kids from TX.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

snoot hoggy hog

They must have been promised that they will avoid any bowl games with Arkansas.

razoredge178

Huge late run is surprising considering that athletic department is completely dysfunctional right now. Charlie will likely be gone during or after next season.

billmontgomery10

It is surprising when you consider lately the best players in the state have gone to LSU, Oklahoma, Alabama, Auburn, A&M and Baylor. Texas hasn't been relevant lately and have been a dumpster fire since Strong got there.

Hog Waller

And they got Christmas-Giles last night, along with flipping Fowler from LSU this morning.

Redhogs

They still have to be closers...and they are.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

SemperHawg

Hate it that Texas is doing anything well...Happy for Charlie though.

billmontgomery10

And I do like the Hogs class although I wish we had a Plan B if we missed on Porter.

ChicoHog

It's actually good news for us when the kids are choosing UT over A&M or LSU or Mississippi (as long as we are not in the conversation).  I have said for the last few years that the best thing for us compared to A&M is Texas getting good again.  That way the best kids in TX will want to go to Austin vs going to College station.  What I don't get is how Mississippi is pulling top kids from Texas.  That's what ticks me off.  I have no problem with the traditional powers recruiting well but it kills me when the upstarts like Mississippi start pulling in the top talent.  Good thing Mr. Freeze will not develop them to their fullest potential.

edit:  Just heard Freeze on ESPNU stating that Texas is the most represented state within their student body (after Mississippi) so that made them decide to recruit the Dallas and Houston area very hard. 

razorbackchamps94

Ole Miss is number 2 now ... Wow

island hog

Makes me sick to see tu pull the dlineman they did at the end...  it's like playing for the ND of old, a team that everyone wants to see lose.  It only rekindles the disdain for that ugly color of orange ... you would have to be brainwashed to want to play for them.  I guess there needs to be the 'hated' team and they are certainly that.  Even at 5-7 last year, that's 5 too many wins for them. 

Whew...can't stand 'em. 

rustr

Quote from: Surfing8 on February 03, 2016, 10:46:55 am
UT boosters playing the game to win.

Exactly.

It's also funny when you consider everyone talking about what a dumpster fire it is there (message boards and media), their own player tweeting during a game he should have gone to a&m, the losing record, the uncertainty of the hc job security, etc. Yet, they are loading up on top talent the last couple of days.

Redhogs

Quote from: Hog Waller on February 03, 2016, 10:50:18 am
And they got Christmas-Giles last night, along with flipping Fowler from LSU this morning.
This one class will turn them around...it's very good.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

jjdlc

They don't have to, those kids grow up wanting to go to UT.  UT isn't that far removed from success for that loyalty to have waned.

TX HOG

Quote from: razorbackchamps94 on February 03, 2016, 10:53:08 am

It is crazy. If they're handing out money that much to 18 ur olds it would leak. I suspect they are really good recruiters some how. Idk

010HogFan

Quote from: Surfing8 on February 03, 2016, 10:54:30 am
There's a saying about crabs in a bucket pulling each other down... I forget how it goes.

In a way you have to admire what Ole Miss is trying to do in recruiting... they're tired of being an also-ran.

nothing admirable about cheating

HOGINTENNESSEE

TexasRazorback

Quote from: billmontgomery10 on February 03, 2016, 10:47:40 am
It is surprising when you consider lately the best players in the state have gone to LSU, Oklahoma, Alabama, Auburn, A&M and Baylor. Texas hasn't been relevant lately and have been a dumpster fire since Strong got there.

You are also forgetting the stud in state players they signed. Malik Jefferson had his choice of any school in the country.

010HogFan

Quote from: Surfing8 on February 03, 2016, 10:57:00 am
Tell that to the teams that are in championship games every year. 

I'm sure they'll agree with you.

Ole Miss is in championship games every year?

Hog Waller

Quote from: razorbackchamps94 on February 03, 2016, 10:53:08 am

Amazing.  Now if the NCAA will actually do their job and find out what is really going on down there.  I find it hard to believe all these blue chips aspire to play for Freeze in Oxfart coming out of high school.

RME

So if someone does something better than you, they're cheating. Got it. Texas and Ole Miss, two areas rich in football talent, have better ranked classes than Arkansas, so they must be cheating.

What fun lives you guys must lead with that train of thought. Guy at work outperforms me and gets a raise/promotion. He must be doing something shady.

Get over it.

WooPig90

Tusks

Some schools do, some schools don't...some try and play as clean as possible in a slimy game.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

010HogFan

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 03, 2016, 10:59:17 am
So if someone does something better than you, they're cheating. Got it. Texas and Ole Miss, two areas rich in football talent, have better ranked classes than Arkansas, so they must be cheating.

What fun lives you guys must lead with that train of thought. Guy at work outperforms me and gets a raise/promotion. He must be doing something shady.

Get over it.

So you believe recruiting is a totally clean business. Got it.

TexasRazorback

Quote from: Surfing8 on February 03, 2016, 10:55:44 am
For an adult they're not that far removed... for a kid who watched them get thrashed every year while they were in JH and HS it's a different matter.

Think about your time frame here. 10 years ago they won a national title with Vince Young that is still in every Texas kids head. 5 years ago they lost in the National title game with Colt getting hurt. Also Auburn has showed every recruit that everyyear is different going from dead last in the SEC to the National Championship the next. just like every arkansas fan remember the great years every Texas kid remembers the success they have had.

redeye

It is surprising how Texas has closed after Strong almost lost his job.  Other schools have been dominating Texas inside Texas, but they flipped Fowler from LSU, signed 2 that we wanted and signed a Louisiana player that LSU really wanted.  Something changed in the last few weeks that gave Texas some unexpected momentum.

RME

Quote from: 010HogFan on February 03, 2016, 11:02:03 am

So you think every school ranked above Arkansas in recruiting is dirty, but Arkansas is clean. Got it.

See how forming dumb conclusions looks bad?

010HogFan

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 03, 2016, 11:02:36 am
So you think every school ranked above Arkansas in recruiting is dirty, but Arkansas is clean. Got it.

show me where I said that.

TX HOG

Recruiting is not clean. I believe there to be some of the best recruiters in Ole Miss. They may get busted. If they're handing out that much money to 18 yr olds, it would leak big time.

TexasRazorback

Quote from: redeye on February 03, 2016, 11:01:46 am
It is surprising how Texas has closed after Strong almost lost his job.  Other schools have been dominating Texas inside Texas, but they flipped Fowler from LSU, signed 2 that we wanted and signed a Louisiana player that LSU really wanted.  Something changed in the last few weeks that gave Texas some unexpected momentum.

Strong was not as close to losing his job as Miles was in LSU and LSU has the #1 class. Charlie is a great recruiter and always has been ever since he was under Urban Meyer at Florida

Porkahontas

RME

Quote from: 010HogFan on February 03, 2016, 11:02:03 am

??

Show me where I said recruiting is a "totally clean business".

No, don't say, "Well I assumed" or anything like that. Show me where I said it. Yay, a pissing match.

010HogFan

Quote from: Surfing8 on February 03, 2016, 11:02:01 am
You think they're the only ones playing the recruiting game?
Weak sauce.

They're just the latest on the scene. 
Exhibit A - no one is paying any attention to the class Auburn is pulling in... the reason is that now it's expected of them.

The only team I pointed out as shady was Ole Miss, not sure why everyone keeps referring to these "other teams." Never mentioned any other teams. I believe Ole Miss to be doing some underhanded things to get the class they got. Not gonna change my mind, and that's fine.

redeye

Quote from: TexasRazorback on February 03, 2016, 11:03:24 am
Strong was not as close to losing his job as Miles was in LSU and LSU has the #1 class. Charlie is a great recruiter and always has been ever since he was under Urban Meyer at Florida

I don't disagree, but Texas had been struggling with recruiting this year and that all changed in the last few weeks.  They spent most of the year behind Arkansas.

AirWarren

This.

Texas lies in a hot bed of recruiting talent. With a recent national title(unlike one in the 60s) and a traditional powerhouse at heart, it's not surprising that Texas  nabs top notch talent still. As much as I hate Texas burnt orange.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: snoot hoggy hog on February 03, 2016, 10:48:44 am
They must have been promised that they will avoid any bowl games with Arkansas.
Oh, MAN that is COOOOOLLLLDDDD!!! ;) :)

buldozer

Quote from: gguillo on February 03, 2016, 10:45:27 am
Austin, TX - One of the best cities to live in if you're in college or under the age of 25.
^^^This^^^

RME

Quote from: DMACKNOWS on February 03, 2016, 11:07:06 am
Ole Miss isn't doing it by just getting Mississippi kids.  You continue to make a fool of yourself.  685 posts deep now.

Oh no. A fool of myself on an anonymous forum. How ever shall I live?

Arkansas isn't doing it by just getting Arkansas kids, are they? It's absolutely unheard of that schools in the South can pull kids from other states in the South.

AirWarren

Quote from: Surfing8 on February 03, 2016, 10:55:44 am
For an adult they're not that far removed... for a kid who watched them get thrashed every year while they were in JH and HS it's a different matter.

How many times have we been thrashed since 1995? A time frame that most of these kids were born and grown up watching hog ball? That's a poor excuse. Hog football hasn't exactly been the pinnacle of football in the US.

010HogFan

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 03, 2016, 11:04:15 am
??

Show me where I said recruiting is a "totally clean business".

No, don't say, "Well I assumed" or anything like that. Show me where I said it. Yay, a pissing match.

You acted like it was utterly preposterous to even suggest that a team ranked above us in recruiting rankings could be cheating. Same thing.

RME

Quote from: 010HogFan on February 03, 2016, 11:14:52 am
You acted like it was utterly preposterous to even suggest that a team ranked above us in recruiting rankings could be cheating. Same thing.

Ah, an assumption. There it is.

ChattanoogaHog

Good for Charlie Strong, I really liked him when he was at Louisville and hope he brings back the Texas program. College football is better when they are good. To all the old-timers on here, sorry. I am a 21 y/o Hog fan and don't have a hatred for Texas like some of you older generations might!

010HogFan

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 03, 2016, 11:15:01 am
Ah, an assumption. There it is.

Ah, another idiotic statement. Great job.