Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Recruiting Rankings

Started by HogNDas, January 30, 2016, 06:25:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogNDas

With the addition of Smith, Ramirez; Putu & Walker, where do we sit in the rankings now?  Bitty had said we could add 4 3*'s and move up to 19....just curious.  WPS. ;D :razorback:

dhizzle

22 on 24/7 sports and that's my fav. Don't think we moved any.

opineonswine

Went to 20 but fell back to 22.

rtr

Quote from: opineonswine on January 30, 2016, 06:38:23 pm
Went to 20 but fell back to 22.
Porter, Cleveland and Fulton could move those.  This is the most fun recruiting season in a long time.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: buldozer on January 30, 2016, 08:06:44 pm
Looks like we are setting still for now. A couple guys were ranked less than 3* so really dropped us back some and a couple are rated 3* for a net of zero basically, so we are unchanged.....
yeah, Walker helped a bit but Smith hurt us and you never get a bump off of JUCOs. No worries, though. We recruited to needs and I'm gonna trust the coaches on Smith. Tape looked ok to me. As long as it's only one or two projects a year I'm cool with it. WPS.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 30, 2016, 08:13:15 pm
yeah, Walker helped a bit but Smith hurt us and you never get a bump off of JUCOs. No worries, though. We recruited to needs and I'm gonna trust the coaches on Smith. Tape looked ok to me. As long as it's only one or two projects a year I'm cool with it. WPS.

Why did Smith hurt us?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

ricepig

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 30, 2016, 08:17:54 pm
Why did Smith hurt us?

Have you looked up his rating? And no, I don't care what it is, but it does on the rankings.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Tortfeasor on January 30, 2016, 08:18:08 pm
2*

But I don't think they go by averaging stars.  If they did, then yes, he'd hurt us.  I think, however, each kid gets assigned a number of points.  Then the points for each commit are added up for a total.  The team with the most points is ranked #1.  Also, I think most services only count your top 20 commits.  If so, then Smith likely doesn't even factor into the ranking.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Nuttcracker, Sweet!

up to #21 on Rivals from about 34 or so.
Making fun of Hootie since 2003

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Nuttcracker, Sweet! on January 30, 2016, 08:22:23 pm
up to #21 on Rivals from about 34 or so.

Yeah, 4 new commits will add quite a few points to the team total.

ShadowHawg

Probably going to finish more like 25 or 26. Just looking at 247 and there are about 5 teams immediately following us who only have 17 or less commitments. Chances are that most of them jump us when they fill up.

I like 247 best for football.

redeye

On 247, at least, today's commits collectively lowered our average recruit rating, but they still added points to help our team ranking.  I think you only receive points for the 20 highest rated recruits on 247, so any we get from here on out will simply replace someone who's rated lower.

Btw, we're currently 20th (8th in the SEC) on 247's actual team ranking (not the composite).

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 30, 2016, 08:26:06 pm
Probably going to finish more like 25 or 26. Just looking at 247 and there are about 5 teams immediately following us who only have 17 or less commitments. Chances are that most of them jump us when they fill up.

Like others said, the top 20 are all that count in the standing points, so if any of the 5 still out come on board we will more likely finish top 20 and not 25-26.  But I am not holding my breath.  I predict anywhere from 19-23, depending on the next 4 days, especially next Wednesday.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on January 30, 2016, 08:36:35 pm
Like others said, the top 20 are all that count in the standing points, so if any of the 5 still out come on board we will more likely finish top 20 and not 25-26.  But I am not holding my breath.  I predict anywhere from 19-23, depending on the next 4 days, especially next Wednesday.

Not true. That's why you see classes that have higher numbers often rated higher than classes with fewer commits but higher star averages.

31to6

It depends on the service. JUCOs are not discounted on 247's rankings, but they *are* counted less in the Rivals equations.

Joseph Putu is our #9 recruit on 247, right between Jones and Boateng.

Also, 247 gives points for recruits past 20. It is Rivals that only scores the 20 best in the class. But on 247, the value of a recruit goes down the further he is on the team's rank--so a 86 3* that is the best guy in the class for some mid-major is worth more points than the same dude in a class with several players that are ranked higher.

Ramirez gave us 0 points on 247 because he is unrated. Not because he is a JUCO.

The reasons we did not move much is that other teams have been moving as well.

redeye

Quote from: 31to6 on January 30, 2016, 09:45:30 pm
It depends on the service. JUCOs are not discounted on 247's rankings, but they *are* counted less in the Rivals equations.

Joseph Putu is our #9 recruit on 247, right between Jones and Boateng.

Also, 247 gives points for recruits past 20. It is Rivals that only scores the 20 best in the class. But on 247, the value of a recruit goes down the further he is on the team's rank--so a 86 3* that is the best guy in the class for some mid-major is worth more points than the same dude in a class with several players that are ranked higher.

Ramirez gave us 0 points on 247 because he is unrated. Not because he is a JUCO.

The reasons we did not move much is that other teams have been moving as well.

Thanks for the correction.  I always forget who does what.

31to6

Quote from: redeye on January 30, 2016, 09:48:09 pm
Thanks for the correction.  I always forget who does what.
No problem. It's fun to watch the horserace, but I always try to remember that there are no trophies for NSD. :)

hawginbigd1

Yeah Smith is rated above Ramirez basically

HoggusMaximus

Class ratings dont matter near as much as development of the kids once they are there. (looks over at ole miss)

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 30, 2016, 09:43:43 pm
Not true. That's why you see classes that have higher numbers often rated higher than classes with fewer commits but higher star averages.
As per 31to6 I did screw that up a bit, but I wasn't ALL wrong.   ;D

But 24/7 is the best, and yes, they do keep stacking them up, though I don't believe the bottom ones have as much effect as the top end of the class. So I was right for rivals, and half cheeked right on 24/7

redeye

Quote from: 31to6 on January 30, 2016, 09:49:29 pm
No problem. It's fun to watch the horserace, but I always try to remember that there are no trophies for NSD. :)

None that matter anyway.  Sometimes I think fans today consider recruiting rankings more important then winning games, though.  I started following recruiting with basketball in the Eddie Sutton era and I did it so I'd know what to expect for the future.  It certainly helps with predicting future success, but I don't like how much weight it carries today. 

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on January 31, 2016, 12:44:21 am
As per 31to6 I did screw that up a bit, but I wasn't ALL wrong.   ;D

But 24/7 is the best, and yes, they do keep stacking them up, though I don't believe the bottom ones have as much effect as the top end of the class. So I was right for rivals, and half cheeked right on 24/7

It's all good. I am not big on class rankings myself. At Arkansas, we are not going to be in the top 10 very often, so development is the key to me. We have a staff that seems to be strong in that area and has done well in stacking classes together to get depth as well.

Hawgvillain

Quote from: redeye on January 31, 2016, 12:54:05 am
None that matter anyway.  Sometimes I think fans today consider recruiting rankings more important then winning games, though.  I started following recruiting with basketball in the Eddie Sutton era and I did it so I'd know what to expect for the future.  It certainly helps with predicting future success, but I don't like how much weight it carries today. 
Would you rather win a popularity contest or a track meet? To me, winning in recruiting is akin to saying your school is 'most popular' with recruits.

redeye

Quote from: Hawgvillain on January 31, 2016, 02:03:37 am
Would you rather win a popularity contest or a track meet? To me, winning in recruiting is akin to saying your school is 'most popular' with recruits.

Same here.  Unfortunately, today's media is all about popularity contests and they have a lot of input into polls, bowl games, etc.

scruf

Recruiting rankings are the participation trophies of collegiate athletics.

The_Boot_stops_here

Class rankings arent that important from, say, 15 down to where we're usually ranked, 25ish. But make no mistake, there is a difference between having a top 10 class and having one ranked 25. Its just fact

rtr

Yes the rankings offer guidance but so many other factors are involved with evaluating an entire class.  I submit Alabama's recruiting is just one component to their success.  Saban not only gets the best recruits (based on his own evaluations) he develops and molds all that talent into great players.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

Ham Ham Pigelow

Go back 10-15 years and correlate class rankings with SEC/National titles.  There really isn't much to argue.

wildhogman

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on January 31, 2016, 07:17:16 am
Class rankings arent that important from, say, 15 down to where we're usually ranked, 25ish. But make no mistake, there is a difference between having a top 10 class and having one ranked 25. Its just fact
Yeah, your right about the facts. After all Ole piss and LSWho curb stomped us the past two years. Oh wait. nevermind.

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: HoggusMaximus on January 30, 2016, 09:52:48 pm
Class ratings dont matter near as much as development of the kids once they are there. (looks over at ole miss)
I work with a huge Ole Miss fan.  Ole Miss fans are funny.  They truly, honestly believe that all those players just magically started to come to Ole Miss from all over the nation simply because Hugh Freeze cares about them and when they get to Oxford, they just amazingly feel at home.  Those are the terms he uses when explaining why after years of mediocrity and a couple decent seasons, the Rebels are in the Top 5 in recruiting and the top players in the whole country are considering them.

It really is almost comical how delusional they are.  My co worker dismisses any NCAA investigations as old stuff that has already been dealt with.  He also says that its just a conspiracy by folks who just hate the Rebels and dont want to see them succeed.  As I debate with him, I almost feel sorry for him cause he truly believes this and I say this because I believe this to be the basic belief by "Rebel Nation."  The NCAA is just picking on Ole Miss. These stud players are flocking to play for Hugh Freeze simply because of his "aw shucks downhome folksy charm." 

Ole Miss must have found someone from Auburn who has taught them how to get kids on campus and get them to commit and not have any benefits traced back to the school or boosters cause there is something fishy about how all of a sudden the top studs in all the nation are taking serious looks at Ole Miss.

DCimport

The recruiting services should put more emphasis on enrollment rankings.  Also, number school can sign plays a role as well. 

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on January 31, 2016, 09:49:47 am
I work with a huge Ole Miss fan.  Ole Miss fans are funny.  They truly, honestly believe that all those players just magically started to come to Ole Miss from all over the nation simply because Hugh Freeze cares about them and when they get to Oxford, they just amazingly feel at home.  Those are the terms he uses when explaining why after years of mediocrity and a couple decent seasons, the Rebels are in the Top 5 in recruiting and the top players in the whole country are considering them.

It really is almost comical how delusional they are.  My co worker dismisses any NCAA investigations as old stuff that has already been dealt with.  He also says that its just a conspiracy by folks who just hate the Rebels and dont want to see them succeed.  As I debate with him, I almost feel sorry for him cause he truly believes this and I say this because I believe this to be the basic belief by "Rebel Nation."  The NCAA is just picking on Ole Miss. These stud players are flocking to play for Hugh Freeze simply because of his "aw shucks downhome folksy charm." 

Ole Miss must have found someone from Auburn who has taught them how to get kids on campus and get them to commit and not have any benefits traced back to the school or boosters cause there is something fishy about how all of a sudden the top studs in all the nation are taking serious looks at Ole Miss.
I enjoyed your comments concerning Ole Miss fans. However, in just a few words your observations could be summed up as "Ole Miss fans are funny (delusional/weird)".

moto625

Rankings mean a TON look at Bama and Clemsons rankings year after year.  Neither of those coaching staffs could have taken Missouri current roster to the NC!

longpig

Quote from: rtr on January 31, 2016, 09:24:35 am
Yes the rankings offer guidance but so many other factors are involved with evaluating an entire class.  I submit Alabama's recruiting is just one component to their success.  Saban not only gets the best recruits (based on his own evaluations) he develops and molds all that talent into great players.

Saban also recruits to team chemistry, I like to think Bielema does too.
Don't be scared, be smart.

moto625

4 and 5 stars + top 10 classes = championships 9 of 10 times.  You can play the Cinderella team all you want But ranking MATTER

longpig

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on January 31, 2016, 09:49:47 am

Always amazed how people can lie to themselves and believe it when it's something they really, really want/need to be true.
Don't be scared, be smart.

scruf

Lot of people are still confused with correlation and causation and that's okay.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: longpig on January 31, 2016, 01:53:01 pm
Always amazed how people can lie to themselves and believe it when it's something they really, really want/need to be true.

You just described every fan base in America.  OM isn't at all unique.  If we were in OM's shoes, we'd be claiming the same nonsense that OM fan is claiming.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Ham Ham Pigelow on January 31, 2016, 09:34:10 am
Go back 10-15 years and correlate class rankings with SEC/National titles.  There really isn't much to argue.

In a 5 year period, how many different programs do you figure have had top 10 recruiting classes? Probably around 20 wouldn't you think?

Now, can you pick 20 teams that might win a NC in the next 5 years? That's how recruiting rankings work for the most part. They are about selling subscriptions to the most zealous fanbases out there. Those also happen to be the teams in the running for NC's most of the time.

Funny thing is, there have been quite a few programs who didn't fit the top 10 class stuff who have played down to the last seconds for the NC or won multiple conference titles over perennial top 10 recruiting schools.

Seriously, pick 20 teams and see how you do.

HogNDas

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 31, 2016, 03:21:20 pm
You just described every fan base in America.  OM isn't at all unique.  If we were in OM's shoes, we'd be claiming the same nonsense that OM fan is claiming.

[You are so correct because we so bad want to believe OPiss is cheating...]

20gauge

Go back and look at the class rankings for NC teams. Since the BCS and now the playoff I think one team has won the NC without having a top 10 recruiting class or even at least two top 10 classes. I think that team was Auburn who had like a 16rh ranked and 9th ranked classes back to back.

Do the rankings matter I would say somewhat. Can teams that with lesser classes beat better classes yes. But you have to do less development with a 5 star than you would a 3, I'm sure there are exceptions.

But there is a direct correlation between NC's and class rankings.

Add in a great coaching staff and there you go.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 30, 2016, 08:26:06 pm

I was wrong. WPS

Rocky&Boarwinkle