Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Redbird Rundown VII

Started by Hogtropolis™, March 27, 2013, 10:00:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbell96

Quote from: dhornjr1 on April 15, 2013, 04:08:14 am
I'm all for giving Rosenthal a shot at it. I just hope Matheny doesn't try to be hard-headed like La Russa. TLR rode Jason Isringhausen to 7 blown saves in 21 save situations in 2008 before he replaced him at, I think, the end of May that year.

I'm in agreement that we need to give Rosenthal a shot first before we seek outside help since it's pretty obvious Motte won't pitch this year.

pigture perfect

Quote from: jbell96 on April 15, 2013, 10:44:00 am
I'm in agreement that we need to give Rosenthal a shot first before we seek outside help since it's pretty obvious Motte won't pitch this year.
Yes on Rosenthal.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

ucahogfan

The Boar War

So who is this new guy?  Number 42?

kidding

johnny cash

I'm rooting for Joe Kelly!

The Boar War

Interesting game.  Fast start but we limped to the finish.  Good to get out with a win.

clutch

Quote from: dhornjr1 on April 15, 2013, 04:08:14 am
I'm all for giving Rosenthal a shot at it. I just hope Matheny doesn't try to be hard-headed like La Russa. TLR rode Jason Isringhausen to 7 blown saves in 21 save situations in 2008 before he replaced him at, I think, the end of May that year.

That was always my biggest beef with LaRussa. He never wanted to pull the trigger on closers. Either that, or never wanted to name a closer. Seemed like things were never smooth there which was a surprise to me because LaRussa believes that a dominant closer is the most important person on the staff. Said he would much rather have a dominant closer than starter. Him and Duncan disagreed on the subject.

Bohemond

Biggs ain't got it to be a closer. Boggs.

The Boar War

Quote from: Bohemond on April 15, 2013, 09:43:05 pm
Biggs ain't got it to be a closer. Boggs.

No.  And I wonder when it's going to be addressed.  I'm not sure if Rosenthal, Sanchez, or Salas is the answer.

dhornjr1

Quote from: clutch on April 15, 2013, 09:39:33 pm
That was always my biggest beef with LaRussa. He never wanted to pull the trigger on closers. Either that, or never wanted to name a closer. Seemed like things were never smooth there which was a surprise to me because LaRussa believes that a dominant closer is the most important person on the staff. Said he would much rather have a dominant closer than starter. Him and Duncan disagreed on the subject.

As great a manager as he was, it seemed like he had a blind spot when it came to closers. For example, he believed that a young guy shouldn't be the closer. He went against that belief out of necessity in 2006 and it brought a World Series title home.

No way do we win the World Series in 2006 if Isringhausen is healthy and serving up batting practice pitches to the opponents.

1dog

Westbrook is hanging everything.

pigture perfect

Quote from: 1dog on April 16, 2013, 06:31:23 pm
Westbrook is hanging everything.
Yeah, It's a good thing those stats don't count. Wow!
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

jbell96

Really glad we didn't get no hit last night. Don't think I could've handled the Hogs & Cards being no hit on back to back days.

pigture perfect

That would have really sucked. The Cardinals were more surprising to me really. The have been swinging the bats pretty well this year. The Hogs on the other hand were fairly predictable.

jbell96

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 18, 2013, 11:52:32 am
That would have really sucked. The Cardinals were more surprising to me really. The have been swinging the bats pretty well this year. The Hogs on the other hand were fairly predictable.

It was more of how dominant AJ Burnett was more than the Cardinals not hitting well. When Burnett is on, he's extremely tough to hit.

Ray Piggers

Rosenthal makes the most sense at this point. Move Boggs back to hold situations, and let the guy with the big arm get a shot at it. It'll get ugly at times, but if we give him the job now, maybe by the end of the year he'll be a solid closer with some confidence.
I'm basically Darkwing Duck

dhornjr1

Quote from: TaylorAlderson on April 18, 2013, 06:46:11 pm
Rosenthal makes the most sense at this point. Move Boggs back to hold situations, and let the guy with the big arm get a shot at it. It'll get ugly at times, but if we give him the job now, maybe by the end of the year he'll be a solid closer with some confidence.

That's exactly how I see it.

Ray Piggers

Well, we're about to see who he throws out there. Unless Waino goes the distance.

Ray Piggers

Rosenthal in the 8th... Boggs is gonna get the chance again.

Ray Piggers

Ray Piggers

Can anyone in our bullpen close out a game?

EDIT: Spoke too soon.. Big time

johnny cash

That was a very good win. Runner on third nobody out and they don't score. If he was running on contact he would have scored on the Kozma bobble.

pigture perfect

Man! I'm glad Waino's back. What a stud.

jbell96

I am taking credit for the win last night. I turned it on as the Phillies got a hit to make it 1st & 3rd with nobody out. I turned it off afterwards & we ended up winning. You're welcome. :)

Root66

Quote from: jbell96 on April 19, 2013, 09:47:09 am
I am taking credit for the win last night. I turned it on as the Phillies got a hit to make it 1st & 3rd with nobody out. I turned it off afterwards & we ended up winning. You're welcome. :)

You have to share the credit with me. Exactly what I did, except I watched the Phils get the two baserunners in the 9th, and then turned it off.

jbell96

Quote from: Root66 on April 19, 2013, 11:11:52 am
You have to share the credit with me. Exactly what I did, except I watched the Phils get the two baserunners in the 9th, and then turned it off.

Ok, I'll share the credit. LOL I actually turned it on just after the first guy got on, then turned it off after Mujica gave up a hit on a 1-2 pitch that got way too much of the plate, then turned it off.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: Root66 on April 19, 2013, 11:11:52 am
I got you both beat.  I fell asleep in the 7th and missed it all.  I woke up to hear the announcers tell me that Beltran and Mujica had pulled out the victory. 

dhornjr1

Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on April 19, 2013, 12:24:11 pm
I got you both beat.  I fell asleep in the 7th and missed it all.  I woke up to hear the announcers tell me that Beltran and Mujica had pulled out the victory. 

LOL

I turned it off when it was first and third with nobody out.

Ray Piggers

I left it on.. I was cussin' Mujica pretty good, but I left it on.. I can't believe Revere didn't run on contact when he was on 3rd. Glad we closed it out!

pigture perfect

Sure was ugly as Halliday made us look silly at times. It's scary how much he is like Carp when he's on.

clutch

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 20, 2013, 12:40:44 am
Sure was ugly as Halliday made us look silly at times. It's scary how much he is like Carp when he's on.

Sucks that he had to figure out how to pitch again against us.

pigture perfect

Looks like we bounced back nicely against Lee tonight.

clutch

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 20, 2013, 09:10:04 pm
Looks like we bounced back nicely against Lee tonight.

Lynn looked good. Hoping he can string together a full year this season.

johnny cash

Mitchell Boggs. Enough said.

pigture perfect

TX HOG

Tell me about this Taveras kid we may trade Profar for...

jbell96

Boggs, you really need to go to Memphis. Whatever magic you had last year has disappeared.

Bohemond

Matheny did a good job last year as a rookie manager but one thing I didn't like was the early season games he seemed to let get away.

He s doing again by stubbornly running  Boggs out to the wound when he obviuosily doesn't have it.

jbell96

Matheny isn't a rookie manager anymore. I'm going to start blasting him a little.

Letting Westbrook hit in the 6th with runners on 2nd & 3rd with 2 outs of a 2-2 game was the wrong call.  In a low scoring game, at the time, and runs at a premium, you need to pinch it. Then the first guy Westbrook faced, Utley, hit a GR double. Granted we got lucky and got a double play ball, but that doesn't take away from the bad call. We should've taken 3 of 4, but instead we split. Just inexcusable.

johnny cash

Quote from: jbell96 on April 22, 2013, 10:34:51 am
Matheny isn't a rookie manager anymore. I'm going to start blasting him a little.

Letting Westbrook hit in the 6th with runners on 2nd & 3rd with 2 outs of a 2-2 game was the wrong call.  In a low scoring game, at the time, and runs at a premium, you need to pinch it. Then the first guy Westbrook faced, Utley, hit a GR double. Granted we got lucky and got a double play ball, but that doesn't take away from the bad call. We should've taken 3 of 4, but instead we split. Just inexcusable.
I agree, and joe Kelley needs to see the ball more.

pigture perfect

Go ahead and bring Tavarres up now. Get him some ML experience and if we do trade him later may get more for him. John Jay is an Offensive liability so far.

clutch

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 22, 2013, 07:46:30 pm
Go ahead and bring Tavarres up now. Get him some ML experience and if we do trade him later may get more for him. John Jay is an Offensive liability so far.

Don't we have to leave him down longer to avoid arbitration? Or has that period already passed?

johnny cash

Good win for the cards tonight!

dhornjr1

How about Shelby Miller? A great start to the season for the kid.

jbell96

He has been flying under the radar so far & I'm more than okay with it. I was worried about Shelby coming in to the season, since he struggled in AAA last year, but he has definitely gotten off on the right foot this season.

I know he is 2/2, but Mujica is not going to be the long term answer at closer this year. Rosenthal has the stuff, but he needs to harness it a bit better. His WHIP is 1.46 & he's allowed more than a hit per inning.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Why is Kelly sitting around being virtually unused after how well he did last year?

johnny cash

Wainwright on his game again tonight. Pitching a shutout through 8. First walk though damn him.

pigture perfect

The Cubs hate us so much that they would put Carlos Marmol into the game against the Reds, with a man on second and no outs.

pigture perfect

Waino is dealing tonight.

jbell96

Looks like the 2nd season after surgery is good luck for Waino. He's dropping that 12-6 curve like he used to. Holding the Nats to 2 runs total in 2 games is nothing short of awesome.