Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Redbird Rundown XI

Started by clutch, February 20, 2017, 06:25:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbell96

Quote from: jrulz83 on August 31, 2017, 08:17:38 am
I liked the Leake signing, in theory it was what the Cardinals needed at the time. I also like trading him. I don't think that dumping his contract is going to affect signing Lynn in any way.

I tend to think that the Cardinals will be fine if they let Lynn walk, but with Wainwright aging and having some arm issues this year it would probably be good to go after Lynn if it's feasible. You also have Reyes coming off TJ surgery next year, so an innings guy will probably be a good idea to have around. One thing we know, the Cardinals are unlikely to overpay for Lynn.

The good news is Weaver and or Flaherty are going to get some good seasoning in the last part of this season.

I really hope they make Lynn a competitive offer to stay. He's fiery & speaks his mind, we need more guys like that on our team. Like you said, with Waino aging and maybe having a year left, we need a veteran presence for our young guys that can also eat up innings.

During the off season, I hope we make a move to get a true middle of the order bat & bolster our bullpen. We have a glut of outfielders between the bigs and AAA, time to make some moves with them and get something good in return.

I'm excited for Flaherty's start tonight. His numbers in the minors this year have been spectacular, especially when you consider how hitter friendly most of the parks are in the PCL, and how much of a band box the park in Springfield is.

pigture perfect

Cards pick up Nicasio from the Phillies on waivers. Could be a nice fit. Almost 70 innings this year and sub 3 ERA.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

popcornhog

Quote from: pigture perfect on September 06, 2017, 04:07:38 pm
Cards pick up Nicasio from the Phillies on waivers. Could be a nice fit. Almost 70 innings this year and sub 3 ERA.

Weird deal though, he wouldn't be eligible in the playoffs if we were to be playing in the playoffs.

But great addition to help try and get there.
WPS

popcornhog

Huge win tonight for the WC with the Brewers and Rockies losing.

Unfortunately the Cubs pulled out a nail biter late.

We are now in front of the Crew and 2 games out of the WC and 4.0 back of the Cubs.

Great game by Flaherty and the other young guys. And great piece if pitching by Tyler Lyons after putting the first two runners on in the 9th.

Note we have 7 games remaining against the Cubs.
WPS

pigture perfect

These last few games have been fun to watch. I'm curious about how different this team will look next year.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

popcornhog

We are within two of the Cubs and tied with the Crew and we have two series against the Cubs remaining as well as a series against Milwaukee to finish the season in St Louis.

The Cardinals are hot and control their own destiny with a bunch of inexperienced triple A kids who are playing lights out.

Does anyone have an update on Fowler?
WPS

jrulz83

Quote from: popcornhog on September 10, 2017, 11:39:52 pm
We are within two of the Cubs and tied with the Crew and we have two series against the Cubs remaining as well as a series against Milwaukee to finish the season in St Louis.

The Cardinals are hot and control their own destiny with a bunch of inexperienced triple A kids who are playing lights out.

Does anyone have an update on Fowler?

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/pham-sidelined-by-reaction-to-eyedrops-fowler-out-with-knee/article_4021f54c-4ca5-58d7-8112-0e5cab05119e.html

Fowler has a bruised knee, swelling is significant, MRI showed no tears. He'll be out a little while (5-7 games) I expect.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

McKdaddy

Quote from: popcornhog on September 10, 2017, 11:39:52 pm

I'm hoping this bodes well for the next few years.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Dropkick

Anybody else wonder what might happen if Brewers, Cardinals and Cubs end the season tied?

popcornhog

Quote from: Dropkick on September 11, 2017, 01:31:24 pm
Anybody else wonder what might happen if Brewers, Cardinals and Cubs end the season tied?

I think it's head to head, then divisional record, then NL record. In a 3 way tie, I'm not sure what happens next.
WPS

jrulz83

Sweeping the Cubs at Wrigley sure would make this weekend fantastic.

southarkhog06

Quote from: jrulz83 on September 15, 2017, 07:09:44 am
Sweeping the Cubs at Wrigley sure would make this weekend fantastic.
well there is always next time.

jrulz83

Quote from: southarkhog06 on September 18, 2017, 07:57:11 am
well there is always next time.

Thankfully I'm a Razorback fan and used to disappointment.

pigture perfect

Here's to some trades and upgrades for next year. I really enjoy this thread even in rough years. Thanks to you all.

WMHawgfan

Quote from: pigture perfect on September 28, 2017, 10:57:14 pm
Here's to some trades and upgrades for next year. I really enjoy this thread even in rough years. Thanks to you all.
Should be an interesting offseason for the Cards. They have a lot of decisions to make and I am sure the GM knows if they are going to compete something has to change. From my perspective they have to move some of their outfielders. I say you move Pham to center, Dex to left and pray Piscotty can bounce back and be more productive. They have to address the closer role, and honestly I think they have to address the starting rotation as well. Most of all I think they have to get a slugger in the middle of the order, but I doubt they shell out the cash for one.

jrulz83

So Lilliquist is gone, interesting. I'd bet the house that a promotion from within is on the way.

McKdaddy

Mabry would've equally have been on the hit seat.

Dropkick

Greg Holland gonna be available as a free agent closer, thoughts?

pigture perfect

jrulz83

This closer thing is going to be interesting to watch. I think we may see a current starter move to the back end of the bullpen, I'm thinking Alex Reyes or possibly Wacha. I could see Wacha being very effective there. Of course I have no idea what I'm talking about but it's fun to navel gaze.

Dropkick

If he is healthy I think Reyes will thrive in any role he is put in.

jrulz83

jrulz83

jrulz83

Quote from: Dropkick on October 26, 2017, 10:39:12 pm
You were actually correct. They did promote Eversgerd from within.

Well, as bullpen coach anyway. I figured he'd get the big job. I'm fine with a push on that one.  ;D

pigture perfect

I notice we are in talks with Darvish and Arrietta. Personally, I would like to keep Lynn instead of trying to pick up Yu Darvish.

Dropkick

Lynn would probably be cheaper and might perform as well.

pigture perfect

I like Lynn. I like his toughness. I also would love to pick up Jake Arrietta for the same reason. I think he would like to come and be reunited with his old buddy Carp.

jrulz83

The Cardinals have supposedly made a formal offer for Stanton.

This is going to be really interesting to watch.

pigture perfect

Hoping for good news soon.

jrulz83

Quote from: pigture perfect on November 21, 2017, 12:38:55 am
Hoping for good news soon.

Everything I'm reading right now says Giants, but we'll see. Nobody really knows anything.

Between the two the Cardinals can put the better prospect package on the table but this is a different situation. It's not about what the Marlins want for Stanton. It's about where Stanton wants to go more than anything else. From stuff I have read it seems like he values going to a winner.

I expect a miss, but I'm glad the Cardinals are in the mix.

jrulz83

jrulz83

pigture perfect

This could get fun real soon. Keeping my fingers crossed.

pigture perfect

Have you noticed that John Mozeliak is still doing the work of GM even though he has been promoted.

pigture perfect

Just seeing where Aledmas Diaz has been traded. Details later.

jrulz83

Quote from: pigture perfect on December 01, 2017, 08:44:17 pm
Have you noticed that John Mozeliak is still doing the work of GM even though he has been promoted.

Yes, I think he got out of the nitty gritty day to day stuff. He is heavily involved in the Stanton talks as he should be.

To use a bad pun, I hope they land their fish.

I just read where they may also get Brad Ziegler in a Stanton deal. Getting him would help in the bullpen.

jrulz83

Quote from: pigture perfect on December 01, 2017, 08:45:32 pm
Just seeing where Aledmas Diaz has been traded. Details later.

Not to get hopes up, but this may be a roster space clearing move for a bigger deal coming.

Edit: Yes Diaz was on the 40 man roster. The Cardinals now have 38 on their 40 man roster.

pigture perfect

I'm also hearing a little rumor about possibly Evan Longoria from TB. Anyone else hearing this?

jrulz83

Quote from: pigture perfect on December 02, 2017, 09:49:45 pm
I'm also hearing a little rumor about possibly Evan Longoria from TB. Anyone else hearing this?

Read his name mentioned somewhere too. Interesting move, I'm glad they're looking at bats.

Everything is crawling or not moving at all because of Stanton. I'm not pessimistic about landing him, I think there's a decent chance. I expect things to heat up this week before the winter meetings.

jrulz83

Sounds like a full court press. The Cardinals are supposedly offering to take on more money than the Giants. This is really fun to watch:

https://twitter.com/CraigMish/status/937441320230105090

pigture perfect

I think we should move on. Too many good pieces out there.

DZ

Quote from: pigture perfect on December 08, 2017, 07:31:02 pm
I think we should move on. Too many good pieces out there.
Stanton already moved on, declined trade to Cardinals..

ghostzapper

Cards get Ozuna.  Trade pieces not yet announced

Bigfoot

Quote from: DZ on December 09, 2017, 11:55:11 am
Stanton already moved on, declined trade to Cardinals..

He's a Yankee now.

Somehow I'm not surprised.

ghostzapper

Cards shopping Piscotty to As.  Grichuk will probably be a piece to Rays if something materializes there.  Mo kicking the tires on Machado.

McKdaddy

Ozuna's 2017 was a nice breakout season.

popcornhog

Here are some details:

The deal, first reported by SiriusXM, is pending a physical. In return, the Marlins will receive right-handed pitching prospect Sandy Alcantara, outfielder Magneuris Sierra, right-hander Zac Gallen and lefty Daniel Castano, according to the Miami Herald.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/21758007/miami-marlins-trade-marcell-ozuna-st-louis-cardinals
WPS