Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Picture I just found

Started by Jackrabbit Hog, March 27, 2013, 01:16:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jackrabbit Hog

Thought I'd share this with the baseball guys.  I found this picture and one other earlier today in an old dusty album.  Me and Tom Pagnozzi at Wrigley Field during his rookie season with the Cardinals.  The date I wrote on the back of the picture is 6/23/90.  There was one other, better quality but Pags had his head down so you couldn't see him.

He was protecting the pitchers warming up in the bullpen before the game and I guess he was just looking up in the crowd.  He saw some dude with a Hog hat on - at Wrigley Field in Chicago - so he got an usher to get my attention to come down and visit with him.  I did, and one of the guys in our group snapped the pictures.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

The Boar War

dhornjr1

Very cool. I was in St. Louis a week before that watching the Cardinals and Expos.

Jackrabbit Hog

I have a very good friend - native Arkie - who lives in Chicago and invites about 40 of his good friends up every year for a "Cubs Weekend."  I've gotten to go 6 or 7 times, unfortunately not much in recent years though.  As I recall, this particular trip when the picture with Pagnozzi was taken was the very first one of those weekends he hosted.

Fun times.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

dhornjr1

It doesn't change the cool factor but Pagnozzi actually wasn't a rookie in '90. He first came up in '87 and was on the roster as a backup to Tony Pena in the '88 and '89 seasons as well.

dhornjr1

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 27, 2013, 05:07:00 pm
I have a very good friend - native Arkie - who lives in Chicago and invites about 40 of his good friends up every year for a "Cubs Weekend."  I've gotten to go 6 or 7 times, unfortunately not much in recent years though.  As I recall, this particular trip when the picture with Pagnozzi was taken was the very first one of those weekends he hosted.

Fun times.

Are you a Cubs fan and a Bud man?

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: dhornjr1 on March 27, 2013, 05:08:32 pm
Are you a Cubs fan and a Bud man?

If the Cubs are playing anybody but the Cardinals, I root for the Cubs.  l

If they play the Cards - as they have on 3 of the trips I've gotten to take - I root for the Cards and endure the heckles of everybody else that is with us.

Been a Cardinal fan since I used to listen to the Gibson/Brock/Cepeda/McCarver group in the late '60s on AM radio in my bedroom at night.

dhornjr1

I just blew the picture up and it looks like Whitey Herzog standing at the plate with the umpires. That's interesting because he would resign as Cardinals manager in about two weeks.

dhornjr1

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 27, 2013, 05:13:50 pm
If the Cubs are playing anybody but the Cardinals, I root for the Cubs.  l

If they play the Cards - as they have on 3 of the trips I've gotten to take - I root for the Cards and endure the heckles of everybody else that is with us.

Been a Cardinal fan since I used to listen to the Gibson/Brock/Cepeda/McCarver group in the late '60s on AM radio in my bedroom at night.

Well, let me say you are one fine human being.  ;D

HROHog

Awesome photo, I pull for the Cardinals as long as they are not playing the Braves.

My only "claim to fame" was going to high school at Valley Springs with Tim Sherrill. He had a brief career with the Cardinals ( nearly all of it in the minors ) after attending the UofA back in the late 80's, early 90's.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: dhornjr1 on March 27, 2013, 05:15:30 pm
Well, let me say you are one fine human being.  ;D

Not nearly as fine as the gentleman in your avatar.

Thanks for the correction on Pags' rookie season.  I had forgotten that he was up and down from the minors for a few years before he finally stuck.

cubsfan5150

Those were some sweet shorts you were sporting fella.
QuoteWest Side Rooter wrote:

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

I'd do the same. LaRussa's a nutjob and would probably throw at his head.
ETA: A bottle of wine, not a baseball.
ETA: Empty bottle, obviously.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: cubsfan5150 on March 27, 2013, 05:45:03 pm
Those were some sweet shorts you were sporting fella.

HA!  I was wondering how long it would take for someone to take that swipe.  When I pulled that picture out, that was one of the first things I thought of:  "if I post this I'm gonna catch some grief for those shorts."

They were called coaching shorts, and it was a hot day.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

dhornjr1

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 27, 2013, 05:56:41 pm
HA!  I was wondering how long it would take for someone to take that swipe.  When I pulled that picture out, that was one of the first things I thought of:  "if I post this I'm gonna catch some grief for those shorts."

They were called coaching shorts, and it was a hot day.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Short shorts on a hot day? I'll bet you were sticking to something. ;D

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: dhornjr1 on March 27, 2013, 06:11:00 pm
Short shorts on a hot day? I'll bet you were sticking to something. ;D

Since we all got very well lubricated on that trip, I doubt I stuck to anything.  Heilemann's Old Style by the 20 oz. cup.  We kept the vendor hopping all day!

dhornjr1

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 27, 2013, 06:12:58 pm
Since we all got very well lubricated on that trip, I doubt I stuck to anything.  Heilemann's Old Style by the 20 oz. cup.  We kept the vendor hopping all day!

Ah, the good old days. I remember them as well.