Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

RIP Stan...the Man Dead at 92...

Started by Root66, January 19, 2013, 07:11:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Root66

grayhawg

One of my favorite Cardinals of all time.

Ray Piggers

I'm basically Darkwing Duck

dhornjr1

Greatest Cardinal ever.

So long, Stash.

dhornjr1

My dad loved Harry Caray's call of Musial's 3,000th hit in 1958.

Go to this link and click on "Stan Musials' 3000th Hit Harry Caray makes the call as Musial joins an exclusive club".

http://contursi.freeyellow.com/baseballtour/sounds.html

SteveInArk

One great ballplayer and person...  RIP.
- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

McKdaddy

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

McKdaddy

Handbag Lil carried to the WH in '11 when Stan was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom

Stan always referred to Kennedy as "my buddy"

McKdaddy

McKdaddy

McKdaddy

Stan and Cobb

The Man and Say Hey

One of baseball's great smiles

Root66

What that statue should look like...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Root66

With the 1944 Naval enlistees

Stan, Joe Medwick and Enos Slaughter

[attachment deleted by admin]

McKdaddy

Quote from: Root66 on January 19, 2013, 10:47:38 pm

With the 1944 Naval enlistees

Stan, Joe Medwick and Enos Slaughter

The article in that SI is great

McKdaddy

McKdaddy

pigture perfect

I Believe that Jack and Stan are already talking about the glory days of baseball. RIP Stan the Man.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

razorson

In my top 5 alltime hitters.  God's probably pitching bp to him. RIP Mr. Musial.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: McKdaddy on January 19, 2013, 09:09:40 pm

I have this photo, autographed by Stan the Man.  I'd love to say I got the autograph myself, but truth is a friend got it signed and gave it to me years ago.  Have it in a frame at home.

Stan was before my time.  I grew up listening to Haray Carey and Jack Buck calling Cardinal games on KLRA 1010 (a feed from KMOX in St. Louis, I'm sure), but the players then were Gibson, Brock, Flood, Cepeda, Shannon, Maxville, Javier, McCarver, etc.  My favorite was Gibson, but I know that Gibson has said many times that Musial was the greatest Cardinal of all time so that's good enough for me.  Amazing how often his name is left out when people talk about the greatest players of all time, but if you ask just about any player who saw him play, his name will always be in the mix.

RIP Stan the Man.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

dhornjr1

Root66

Quote from: dhornjr1 on January 27, 2013, 12:01:12 am
Per Stan Musial's request, Bob Costas eulogizes Stan.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/26/watch-bob-costas-eulogy-of-stan-musial/

The first eulogy I believe I've ever heard that nailed it up tight. RIP Stash.

Root66

By the way, I don't know if you guys have ever heard of Dickey Kerr or the influence Kerr had on Stan's career but I'm sure those that have not will enjoy this short bio from Wikipedia...and I can vouch for the authenticity of the article. Stan talked many times about his appreciation of Mr. Kerr.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dickey_Kerr

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dickey Kerr

Richard Henry "Dickey" Kerr (July 3, 1893 – May 4, 1963) was a starting pitcher for the Chicago White Sox from 1919-1921. As a rookie, he won 13 games and both his starts in the 1919 World Series, which would lead to the permanent suspensions of eight of his teammates in the Black Sox Scandal. In later years, Kerr would receive praise for his honest play during the Series.

In 1921, he went 19-17 and led the league in giving up 357 hits in 308⅔ innings pitched. After the season, he was suspended from organized baseball for violating the reserve clause in his contract.[1]

Kerr attempted a comeback in 1925, pitching in 12 games and compiling a record of 0-1 in 36⅔ innings, mostly out of the bullpen. He finished his career with a record of 53 wins against 34 losses for a winning percentage of .609. His career ERA over three-plus seasons was 3.84.

After his playing days, Kerr was a coach and minor league manager. He was baseball coach at Rice University in 1927. Stan Musial played for Kerr while he was the manager of the Daytona Beach Islanders. But after Musial injured his pitching arm, his career was in serious jeopardy. Kerr allowed Musial and his family to live with him for the winter while he decided what to do. During this time, Kerr convinced Musial that he was a better hitting prospect than he had been as a pitcher. In 1958, the appreciative Musial used a significant amount of that season's salary to buy Kerr a new house.

Dickey Kerr died in Houston, two months shy of his 70th birthday.

In the 1988 film Eight Men Out, about the Black Sox scandal, Kerr was portrayed by actor Jace Alexander. The film inaccurately portrayed[2] Kerr as a right-handed pitcher when in fact he was a lefty.

pigture perfect

I enjoy all these old pictures of Stan. Thanks.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

99toLife

My dad was a sports writer after playing baseball and his favorite player of all time was Stan the Man, I got to meet him a few times growing up. My dad always said, If you get to pick a team and you're first pick you pick Stan.

dhornjr1

dhornjr1

Quote from: Root66 on January 27, 2013, 12:30:37 pm
The first eulogy I believe I've ever heard that nailed it up tight. RIP Stash.

Yep. A classy eulogy for the classiest of gentlemen.

dhornjr1

I don't mean to get too maudlin about this, but as with millions of other Cardinals fans, Stan meant a lot to my dad. Just before he died, he talked all the time about the Sports Illustrated magazine that had come out in 2010 with Stan on the cover. He was so proud to have a copy of it.

In losing The Man, somehow the pain of losing my dad has come back in the last few days.

Root66

Quote from: dhornjr1 on January 27, 2013, 10:18:54 pm
I don't mean to get too maudlin about this, but as with millions of other Cardinals fans, Stan meant a lot to my dad. Just before he died, he talked all the time about the Sports Illustrated magazine that had come out in 2010 with Stan on the cover. He was so proud to have a copy of it.

In losing The Man, somehow the pain of losing my dad has come back in the last few days.

I feel your pain...except, I identify more with your dad. This hit me extremely hard.

dhornjr1

Quote from: Root66 on January 27, 2013, 11:49:00 pm
I feel your pain...except, I identify more with your dad. This hit me extremely hard.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't get a little emotional when I first heard the news. I think you and my dad are pretty close to the same age (he would have been 75 in March) and I know he would have been terribly upset about Stan's death. To him, and I imagine you too, it would be like losing a member of your family.

Cardinal nation is like that. I always like to say, "If you're a Cardinal fan, no explanation is necessary. If you're not a Cardinal fan, no explanation is possible".

Root66

Quote from: dhornjr1 on January 28, 2013, 01:21:14 am
I'd be lying if I said I didn't get a little emotional when I first heard the news. I think you and my dad are pretty close to the same age (he would have been 75 in March) and I know he would have been terribly upset about Stan's death. To him, and I imagine you too, it would be like losing a member of your family.

Cardinal nation is like that. I always like to say, "If you're a Cardinal fan, no explanation is necessary. If you're not a Cardinal fan, no explanation is possible".

d, I literally cried, when in 1954 I was 12 years old and the Cards traded Enos Slaughter to the Yankees for Bill Virdon and a couple of other minor leaguers. I was so darned mad at Augie Busch. Broke my heart. Then a couple of years later they traded Red to the Giants for Alvin Dark, Whitey Lockman and a couple of pitchers. Broke my heart again. They got some good players in both trades but those two were Cardinal legends.

McKdaddy

dhornjr1

Quote from: Root66 on January 28, 2013, 11:33:38 am
d, I literally cried, when in 1954 I was 12 years old and the Cards traded Enos Slaughter to the Yankees for Bill Virdon and a couple of other minor leaguers. I was so darned mad at Augie Busch. Broke my heart. Then a couple of years later they traded Red to the Giants for Alvin Dark, Whitey Lockman and a couple of pitchers. Broke my heart again. They got some good players in both trades but those two were Cardinal legends.

Funny that you mention that. My dad said he and his dad were so pissed about that Slaughter trade, but he did grow to like Bill Virdon. And I don't think he ever got over Schoendienst being dealt. He would talk about Red leading the Braves to the World Series title the year after the Cardinals dealt him away.

dhornjr1

Here and Now: Stan Musial's Final Time At The Plate

bbates1

They are wearing a #6 patch on their sleeves this year for Stan. Greatest cardinal of all time!

McKdaddy

Quote from: bbates1 on March 30, 2013, 10:49:28 am
They are wearing a #6 patch on their sleeves this year for Stan. Greatest cardinal of all time!