Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Darndest Hit I've Ever Seen

Started by LVW, October 23, 2012, 10:28:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LVW

This is Hunter Pence's bases clearing hit in last night's Game 7. Watch it hit the bat twice and alter the initial direction of the ball which explains why Kozma initially broke to his right.
Van_the_man_Unusual

width=250 height=156]http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/8279/chapman.jpg

clutch

I think it actually hit the bat 3 times. Once that happened, I knew it just wasn't our night lol.

bsking

And some people on here say luck has no part in a baseball game...

Dr. Starcs

Luck did not influence game 7 at all.

bsking

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on October 24, 2012, 03:33:35 pm
Luck did not influence game 7 at all.

Ignorance.  Luck plays a part in EVERY game.

What if the ball had been a double play rather than a lucky double?  What if that had inspired the hitters?  You have no idea what could have happened.

And it's not just that play.  Luck plays a part in most baseball plays.

Dropkick

What was the score at the time? How many runs did the cards score?

That was a wild hit though!

Dr. Starcs

Cmon. Sf totally dominated game 7 and deserved to win that game. You can play the woulda coulda shoulda game all you want, but they didn't. Was the hit lucky? Possibly. But to discredit the giants in that particular game because of what might have happened is a well disservice.

clutch

Quote from: bsking on October 24, 2012, 04:15:13 pm
Ignorance.  Luck plays a part in EVERY game.

What if the ball had been a double play rather than a lucky double?  What if that had inspired the hitters?  You have no idea what could have happened.

And it's not just that play.  Luck plays a part in most baseball plays.

I agree with this 100%. Unless the ball clears the fence, every hit has some luck in it. How many times have you seen guys hit the ball great, but everything they hit gets caught. It takes luck just for the ball to find a hole in the defense. That's just one example. Baseball is a game filled with luck. If it wasn't, 3-10 wouldn't be considered a good job.

dacskc

Luck may play a part on one play or in one game, but it does not span an entire series.  I believe the better team wins a series. (It wasn't the Cardinals this time, but that doesn't change my opinion...the Giants were the better team when it counted)

clutch

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on October 24, 2012, 07:10:03 pm
Cmon. Sf totally dominated game 7 and deserved to win that game. You can play the woulda coulda shoulda game all you want, but they didn't. Was the hit lucky? Possibly. But to discredit the giants in that particular game because of what might have happened is a well disservice.

He's not saying that the Giants didn't beat the crap out of St. Louis. All he is saying is that luck plays a part in every game. It does. He's not saying the Giants shouldn't have won. It was clear that they outplayed St. Louis.

Dr. Starcs

I just see it differently. I don't think luck plays as big a part as you guys. I mean, you can take everything down to it's simplest part and call it luck but it wouldn't mean it was.

The better team wins the majority of the time. A flukey (sp?) play here or there sometimes occurs, but skill takes over in the majority of situations. Just my opinion.

clutch

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on October 24, 2012, 07:58:56 pm
I just see it differently. I don't think luck plays as big a part as you guys. I mean, you can take everything down to it's simplest part and call it luck but it wouldn't mean it was.

The better team wins the majority of the time. A flukey (sp?) play here or there sometimes occurs, but skill takes over in the majority of situations. Just my opinion.

Out of all the sports, it has the biggest impact in baseball. You absolutely never know how a baseball game is going to turn out. Even the best teams lose quite a bit. It comes down to who has the hot bats, who has the pitchers with the best stuff, and who is picking the ball the cleanest. It can vary so much from day to day for every player. That's why I say luck has a huge impact in baseball.

It usually comes down to which team had the ball land in a gap for a double, who had the bloop single that drove in a run, who had the ball that just barely slip by the infielder. Just about every hit at this level is somewhat lucky.

bsking

There is an old adage: hitters are producers not directors.  You can lace it every time but you don't know if it will ever find green.

LVW

Quote from: clutch on October 24, 2012, 08:32:53 pm
Out of all the sports, it has the biggest impact in baseball.
While that is true in a one game setting, it tends to even out over the course of 162 game season.
Van_the_man_Unusual

width=250 height=156]http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/8279/chapman.jpg

bsking

Quote from: LVW on October 25, 2012, 02:45:27 am
While that is true in a one game setting, it tends to even out over the course of 162 game season.

Yes it does.  And it's a little ridiculous to argue the Astros were the best in the league and luck caused them to be the worst.  But were we not talking about game 7?  And being separated a few games in the standings?