Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Maybe the worst call in MLB Postseason History

Started by bsking, October 05, 2012, 11:47:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RazorWorld

Quote from: ucahogfan on October 06, 2012, 09:58:35 pm
Cards fans,

Please let me know how you would feel if that same infield fly had been called against the Cards?  This specific forum would be almost unreadable from all of the hate that would have been spewed.  You can't rationally argue that the ump made the right call when no other infield fly call on the season had been within 47 feet of its distance from home plate.  I can see where you would say Kozma was camped underneath it, but that wasn't the spirit of the rule ala the Pinetar Incident.  And don't come in here attacking me saying that I'm saying the terrible call cost the Braves the game because I'm not.  You can look at my post history and see what I think.

I would hope that if it had happened to the Cards at Bush stadium our fans would not throw anything on the field.
I'm not sure what surprised me more the call or the reaction. If my Cardinal fans had acted like that I'd be ashamed. If baseball fans can react to something like this in this fashion and it is accepted something is wrong.

RazorWorld

Game was help up over 20 minutes which forced Cards to change pitchers.

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: RazorWorld on October 08, 2012, 02:26:56 am
I would hope that if it had happened to the Cards at Bush stadium our fans would not throw anything on the field.
I'm not sure what surprised me more the call or the reaction. If my Cardinal fans had acted like that I'd be ashamed. If baseball fans can react to something like this in this fashion and it is accepted something is wrong.

Agree completely.

ucahogfan

I'm ashamed that the people at the game would throw stuff on the field in disagreement of a call.  That should never happen no matter the call.  I do agree that the infield fly could have been called in that situation, but it was against the spirit of the rule because the infield fly was meant to guard against easy DPs which wouldn't have been the case in that situation.  The fact that the LF umpire made the call makes it worse because none of the 4 regular umps would have made that call.

bsking

October 08, 2012, 09:09:38 am #54 Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 09:11:33 am by bsking

Cardinals fans did the same thing in 1998.  Except it wasn't a game that really mattered.  And it was because McGwire was tossed arguing a strike call.  Which, if I'm correct, is a JUDGEMENT call.

So please tell me how the classless Braves fans differ from your fan base.

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: bsking on October 08, 2012, 09:09:38 am
Cardinals fans did the same thing in 1998.  Except it wasn't a game that really mattered.  And it was because McGwire was tossed arguing a strike call.  Which, if I'm correct, is a JUDGEMENT call.

Didn't the same umpire that made the infield fly call toss McGwire out as well?
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

RazorWorld

Quote from: bsking on October 08, 2012, 09:09:38 am

I don't recall that in 1998 there was any 20 min delay. I never said Braves fans are classless?? If that did happen in 98 then I would say in 14 years you wont remember this either. Actually I've always liked the Braves. Did you know they were once called the Boston Bees? 1936 Babe Ruth spent his last year as a Brave. The year after Ruth retired they changed the named from the Boston Braves to the Bees!!
Anyway sorry this had to tarnish a good game. They were also known as the Beaneaters once.....

bsking

Quote from: RazorWorld on October 08, 2012, 12:05:10 pm
I don't recall that in 1998 there was any 20 min delay. I never said Braves fans are classless?? If that did happen in 98 then I would say in 14 years you wont remember this either. Actually I've always liked the Braves. Did you know they were once called the Boston Bees? 1936 Babe Ruth spent his last year as a Brave. The year after Ruth retired they changed the named from the Boston Braves to the Bees!!
Anyway sorry this had to tarnish a good game. They were also known as the Beaneaters once.....

Didn't mean to target you specifically.  But there are several posters on here calling the Braves fans classless, while they call themselves the best fans in baseball.  Just pointing out that you can't have it both ways.

bsking

Quote from: GreenbrierHogFan on October 08, 2012, 11:24:53 am
Didn't the same umpire that made the infield fly call toss McGwire out as well?

Yeah.  Odd.

LVW

Quote from: ImHogginIt on October 06, 2012, 06:13:37 pm
Last nights call was bad but this one cost the Cards the title in 1985

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=13062921
That's B.S. Royals scored the winning run with 1 out. take away 1 baserunner and add 1 out and they still tie it. Jack Clark missed catching a catchable foul ball in the inning and that batter, Steve Balboni,  eventually got a hit.
Van_the_man_Unusual

width=250 height=156]http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/8279/chapman.jpg

Ray Piggers

Quote from: LVW on October 23, 2012, 10:42:29 pm
If Harold Reynolds had been the batter he would have been the 1st one out arguing.

Oh? He told you that? Interesting
I'm basically Darkwing Duck

Ray Piggers

I was just showing people that this HAS happened. Who gives a crap what Reynolds would have done, he explained why it WAS called.

LVW

Quote from: TaylorAlderson on October 23, 2012, 11:03:06 pm
Oh? He told you that? Interesting
I've seen him jump an umpire's butt over less before when he was playing.
Van_the_man_Unusual

LVW

The worst call I've seen in a "postseason" game; it was a game 163 which is technically a regular season game; but it was still directly tied to the postseason.

This was the last play of the game and ended the Padres Season in 2007 and Holliday still hasn't touched home.
Van_the_man_Unusual

ImHogginIt

Quote from: LVW on October 23, 2012, 11:40:18 pm
The worst call I've seen in a "postseason" game; it was a game 163 which is technically a regular season game; but it was still directly tied to the postseason.

This was the last play of the game and ended the Padres Season in 2007 and Holliday still hasn't touched home.

He didn't touch home much this past post season either  :(

The Cards should make him give back some of his 17 million salary for sucking so bad in October

tiber

Quote from: ImHogginIt on October 24, 2012, 12:46:24 am
He didn't touch home much this past post season either  :(

The Cards should make him give back some of his 17 million salary for sucking so bad in October

Couldn't even finish the job when he tried to take out Scutero.

Classy.

clutch

Quote from: tiber on October 24, 2012, 01:01:29 pm
Couldn't even finish the job when he tried to take out Scutero.

Classy.

Real baseball is fun to watch, I guess it's not for everybody though.

bsking

Really?

9/10 umpires, or anyone else for that matter call him safe on that play.  The umpire doesn't get a slow mo replay.  This isn't even remotely close to the same category.

LVW

Quote from: bsking on October 24, 2012, 02:33:46 pm
Really?

9/10 umpires, or anyone else for that matter call him safe on that play.  The umpire doesn't get a slow mo replay.  This isn't even remotely close to the same category.
Since you're gonna take that attitude toward it, I change my mind and agree with the ump calling the infield fly.  8)
Van_the_man_Unusual

clutch

Still one of the best games I've watched.

Ray Piggers

Quote from: clutch on October 24, 2012, 01:35:58 pm
Real baseball is fun to watch, I guess it's not for everybody though.

It's San Francisco... What do you expect?