Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Atlanta Braves 2012

Started by bsking, February 06, 2012, 10:58:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ucahogfan

Really glad we keep Teheran unless he turns into another Hanson.  Hate we had to give up Prado who was really our best option at leadoff, but Johnson should be a quality choice at 3B for us.  Here is how I see our lineup setting up:

Simmons - SS
B.J. Upton - CF
Freeman - 1B
J-Hey - RF
J Upton - LF
McCann - C
Uggla - 2B
Johnson - 3B

That just isn't fair for a NL lineup.  2-7 could all hit 25+ HRs this year even playing at Turner.  A ton of pop, but no true leadoff hitter.  We still have the best pen in baseball after adding Walden to give us another RH power arm to compliment Kimbrel.  I say keep the extra 10 mil and use it for extensions.

RxRazorback

Don't like losing Prado, but he was gone after this season apparently. Keeping Teheran and Graham was big.

Sets up nicely for a Chipper Jones return at 3B.  ;D

Hey, a guy can dream.
W88 Pig S88ie!

ucahogfan

I know I did this in my last post, but I want to ahead and post the full lineup including the starting pitchers and top 4 in the pen:

Simmons - SS - Not ideal, but is young enough to mold him to fit there
BJ Upton - CF - A guy who could go 30/30 this season
Freeman - 1B - Not a big time power guy, but should hit .300 with 25 HRs and 100 RBIs
J-Hey - RF - Could switch him and Freddie, should be a 30 HR/20 SB guy at cleanup
J Upton - LF - With huge years in 2009 and 2011, 2013 should be another All-Star campaign
McCann - C - Still hit 20 HRs while be hurt most of the season, should win the Sliver Slugger
Uggla - 2B - Should bounce back with 30+ HRs with very little pressure and some good pitches to hit
Johnson/Fransisco - 3B - solid platoon players

Hudson - Veteran presence that is awesome to have at the top of the rotation
Medlen - Best pitcher in the bigs after the All-Star break
Minor - 2nd best pitcher in the bigs after the All-Star break ERA wise
Malholm - Solid veteran who will fill into the 5 role after Beachy's return
Beachy - Was the frontrunner for the Cy Young until injured

With a nice young trio of Medlen, Minor, and Beachy, letting go of Hanson was made much easier.  Teheran might have a chance to start until Beachy returns.

Kimbrel - Best season ever by a closer in 2012, not much room for improvement
O'Flaherty - Sub 1.8 ERAs each of the last 2 years
Venters - Should bounce back after a 2012 season with a 3.22 ERA
Walden - All-Star in 2011, power RHP to bring in the 7th or 8th

With 4 potential All-Stars in the pen, our starters just have to give us a lead by the 6th and we should win a whole lot of games in 2013.

Big question is who is the favorite in the NL East now?  Reigning champs Washington, the Braves, or the Phillies?  I'm going to say us for now because I think we have an overall better team when we are fully healthy which I hope happens to end the season.

Willyboy

Ranger fan here, but when I was a little boy I rooted for the braves, and that was before I even liked baseball.  Chipper was my favorite player.  I still root for ATL as my NL team and I like both of the Upton brothers.  I can't wait to see y'all and the Nats battle it out next year.  I watched the Infield Fly debacle from the big screen at Rangers Ballpark waiting for our WC game and was disgusted.  Good luck this year and go Braves!

bsking

I think Washington is still a slight favorite over us.  Pretty close though, and these two may be the best two in the NL.

I'm still not sold on the 3B situation.  I don't think they want Johnson to be the full time starter and I could understand a platoon but Johnson is a backwards guy.  His numbers across the board favor hitting against righties.

RxRazorback

Quote from: bsking on January 24, 2013, 05:29:40 pm
I think Washington is still a slight favorite over us.  Pretty close though, and these two may be the best two in the NL.

I'm still not sold on the 3B situation.  I don't think they want Johnson to be the full time starter and I could understand a platoon but Johnson is a backwards guy.  His numbers across the board favor hitting against righties.

Agree, for the most part. We've still got the pieces to make a run at Headley if the Padres make him available.
W88 Pig S88ie!

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: ucahogfan on January 24, 2013, 10:21:38 am
Really glad we keep Teheran unless he turns into another Hanson.  Hate we had to give up Prado who was really our best option at leadoff, but Johnson should be a quality choice at 3B for us.  Here is how I see our lineup setting up:

Simmons - SS
B.J. Upton - CF
Freeman - 1B
J-Hey - RF
J Upton - LF
McCann - C
Uggla - 2B
Johnson - 3B

That just isn't fair for a NL lineup.  2-7 could all hit 25+ HRs this year even playing at Turner.  A ton of pop, but no true leadoff hitter.  We still have the best pen in baseball after adding Walden to give us another RH power arm to compliment Kimbrel.  I say keep the extra 10 mil and use it for extensions.
I would put JHey at 2 instead of BJ because I think JHey has a little more patience and is better fit for the 2 hole. I would put Justin at 3, then Freeman, BJ and then keep the bottom 3 the same.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

bsking

Quote from: GreenbrierHogFan on January 24, 2013, 07:18:11 pm
I would put JHey at 2 instead of BJ because I think JHey has a little more patience and is better fit for the 2 hole. I would put Justin at 3, then Freeman, BJ and then keep the bottom 3 the same.

I like that too.  RLRLRLRR

bsking

I wonder what number J Up will wear.  10 isn't exactly retired yet but he won't be wearing it I don't think.

bsking

Fredi Said the top 3 would be Simmons, Heyward, and J Up.  Nice call GB.

FrostHog89

Quote from: bsking on January 24, 2013, 08:06:15 pm
I wonder what number J Up will wear.  10 isn't exactly retired yet but he won't be wearing it I don't think.

He's wearing 8 per Dave O'Brian

BigSexyHog

Quote from: ucahogfan on January 24, 2013, 02:49:39 pm
I know I did this in my last post, but I want to ahead and post the full lineup including the starting pitchers and top 4 in the pen:

Simmons - SS - Not ideal, but is young enough to mold him to fit there
BJ Upton - CF - A guy who could go 30/30 this season
Freeman - 1B - Not a big time power guy, but should hit .300 with 25 HRs and 100 RBIs
J-Hey - RF - Could switch him and Freddie, should be a 30 HR/20 SB guy at cleanup
J Upton - LF - With huge years in 2009 and 2011, 2013 should be another All-Star campaign
McCann - C - Still hit 20 HRs while be hurt most of the season, should win the Sliver Slugger
Uggla - 2B - Should bounce back with 30+ HRs with very little pressure and some good pitches to hit
Johnson/Fransisco - 3B - solid platoon players

Hudson - Veteran presence that is awesome to have at the top of the rotation
Medlen - Best pitcher in the bigs after the All-Star break
Minor - 2nd best pitcher in the bigs after the All-Star break ERA wise
Malholm - Solid veteran who will fill into the 5 role after Beachy's return
Beachy - Was the frontrunner for the Cy Young until injured

With a nice young trio of Medlen, Minor, and Beachy, letting go of Hanson was made much easier.  Teheran might have a chance to start until Beachy returns.

Kimbrel - Best season ever by a closer in 2012, not much room for improvement
O'Flaherty - Sub 1.8 ERAs each of the last 2 years
Venters - Should bounce back after a 2012 season with a 3.22 ERA
Walden - All-Star in 2011, power RHP to bring in the 7th or 8th

With 4 potential All-Stars in the pen, our starters just have to give us a lead by the 6th and we should win a whole lot of games in 2013.

Big question is who is the favorite in the NL East now?  Reigning champs Washington, the Braves, or the Phillies?  I'm going to say us for now because I think we have an overall better team when we are fully healthy which I hope happens to end the season.

Solid info.. Thanks +1
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

OnTheHillHogFan

Simmons will be leading off for the Netherlands in the WBC according to DOB on twitter and I guess it is time to start a 2013 thread.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"