Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Enjoyable Afternoon in Oxford

Started by WilsonHog, October 28, 2017, 03:53:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on October 28, 2017, 05:31:19 pm
I don't believe that was the place. Seems like it might have been a bit further down off Cantrell
Ozark mountain restaurant?

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

BoarnSupremacy

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 28, 2017, 06:17:49 pm
No one who lives in Memphis and is above the poverty line ever gets anywhere near Lamar Ave. That is a no-go zone and has been for 40 years.

Then you have missed out.  Paynes is best pork sandwich in the south.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: BoarnSupremacy on October 28, 2017, 07:55:30 pm

Then you have missed out.  Paynes is best pork sandwich in the south.
You take your life and property in your hands when you venture for very long out on Lamar Ave, and about 100 other areas in and around Memphis.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

BoarnSupremacy

Had ribs at cozy corner a month ago.  Great bark and smoke flavor,  A rack of ribs is actually a rack compared to a few of famous places.  They are very friendly there.  Behind St Judes

BoarnSupremacy

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 28, 2017, 07:57:50 pm
You take your life and property in your hands when you venture for very long out on Lamar Ave, and about 100 other areas in and around Memphis.

I know but its best I ever tasted

j-mann

ole miss is my num 1 rival     i turn on the tv  from my nap  its was 31-7 ole miss   then when i woke up 38-37 ark  what a great day i am going to have to go to one of these ark ole miss games   
calling the hogs from Jonesboro    i have  cerebral  palsy  Rheumatoid arthritis   and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome   i cannot space  well  or spell well   but i still  love the hogs

Beavthompson

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 28, 2017, 07:57:50 pm
You must be scared every where. Lamar has been locked down with cops the last few years. They took all the hookers off the street and cleaned it up mostly. Its still dirrrty but thats Memphis. You want to get scared? Go anywhere in Blytheville after dark. Source work for railroad.
Say no to drunk posts! Unless its a great idea!

elksnort

Anywhere  where there are irresponsible losers can be dangerous.
Our fair little city of Jonesboro is not near as innocent as it used to be.

Suidae

Flight might be appropriate tonight.
It's founded and owned by an Ole Miss graduate.

Boarsnest

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 28, 2017, 06:21:24 pm
Never heard of it.

Tried Melissa's a few times but we prefer Como Steakhouse in Como, MS it is 13 miles north of Batesville, MS. It is just west off of I55 in downtown Como. It is always packed but it was really swamped with Ole Miss and Arkansas fans after the game. We had a blast kidding some Ole Miss fans there tonight. If any of you folks ever pass through Greenville, MS be sure to go to Doe's Eat Place. It is the original Doe's Restaurant, it is in a bad neighborhood, they have an armed security guard to watch your car and assist you to and from the place. I guess it is kinda risky but well worth it for the steak and tamales. Lol! Wrong direction though if heading to central or north Arkansas.

Melissa Cookston that own's Steak by Melissa also owns Memphis BBQ, I get them to cater meetings for me but always go with her BBQ rather than her steaks. If I go steaks with a meeting I use a local in Arkansas. Como Steakhouse and Majestic have better steaks. I have had steak at the Flight a couple of times and it was good. It is just hard to eat steak at the Flight when you can get a Flight of 3 different meats, with options such as Bison, Elk, quail and fish. Felicia Suzanne's is also a very good place in Memphis. Texas De Brazil is good just hard to carry on a conversation there.

Folks Folley is one of the top rated steakhouses in Memphis. I have taken customers there a couple of times during the Mid-South Farm and Gin Show. I wasn't impressed either time. Plan to give it one more try sometime.

I'm sorry I didn't mean to hijack the thread. I live in Southeast Arkansas but this is part of my territory plus we have a place on Lake Enid about 18 miles south of Oxford, MS. Our daughter and her family live between Jonesboro and Memphis so we are in this area almost every weekend.

Lots of good places in Oxford just tough to get in on game day.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Suidae on October 28, 2017, 10:04:19 pm
Flight might be appropriate tonight.
It's founded and owned by an Ole Miss graduate.

Even a better reason to go there. Eat then Call Those Hogs!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Mike Irwin

I had a good time. After the game I was carrying a tripod on my shoulder down from the photo deck to the post game press conference. I had to walk though the crowd down several ramps to field level.

At one point from behind me I heard somebody growl, "You could at least apologize." I looked around and some fan was looking at me mad as hell. When I asked him what was wrong, he said, "You just hit three people with that thing on your shoulder."

Believe me if somebody accidentally ran into the back of that thing I'd feel it. Nonetheless, I said, "If that happened it was totally unintentional. Sorry."

Later one of the media guys who had been behind me said the guy was full of it. Nobody got hit by the tripod. He was just mad because Ole Miss lost to Arkansas again and he could see that I was wearing a jacket that read, "Pig Trail Nation."

Anytime I can be a part some something that makes an Ole Miss fan mad is a good day for me.

Hogs-n-Roses

No one who lives in Memphis and is above the poverty line ever gets anywhere near Lamar Ave. That is a no-go zone and has been for 40 years.
I have a good Lamar avenue story. Probably better suited for the tavern. David allen coe might say something like , Its not the perfect street for BBq cuz it ain't got no mention of  Hookers,busses, taxi's, beer joints, ex wives or getting runned over by a darned ol train.

The OTR

One constant about this place is we'd rather talk about food than football.  I'd rather hear more about Mike Irwin plowing through a crowd like Peyton Hillis on a dive play using the tripod like a club and conking ole miss fans in their heads than listening to drivel about Memphis restaurants most of us couldn't care less about and bad neighborhoods that I wouldn't dare go to unless I had Iron Mike Irwin and his tripod serving as my bodyguard.

To each his own I guess.

pigmania

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2017, 03:53:07 pm
Beautiful fall afternoon for college football, especially to watch what may be the biggest comeback in school history. I love to spend time on college campuses, and Ole Miss is one of my favorites. Really enjoyed watching our kids celebrate after the game.

As far as the impact on our season, it gets us to 3-5 and gives us a chance to qualify for a bowl with consecutive home games.

Bielema's future will work out how he and Jeff Long want it to. Not my call.

Meanwhile, I'm going to enjoy dinner in Memphis and celebrate a win.
I love going to Oxford. One of my favorite college towns!

BirmingHam

So true..worked on  northwest corner of Lamar/Knight Arnold from 97-99.  Have I got stories for ya'll.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 29, 2017, 01:41:32 pm
I had a good time. After the game I was carrying a tripod on my shoulder down from the photo deck to the post game press conference. I had to walk though the crowd down several ramps to field level.

At one point from behind me I heard somebody growl, "You could at least apologize." I looked around and some fan was looking at me mad as hell. When I asked him what was wrong, he said, "You just hit three people with that thing on your shoulder."

Believe me if somebody accidentally ran into the back of that thing I'd feel it. Nonetheless, I said, "If that happened it was totally unintentional. Sorry."

Later one of the media guys who had been behind me said the guy was full of it. Nobody got hit by the tripod. He was just mad because Ole Miss lost to Arkansas again and he could see that I was wearing a jacket that read, "Pig Trail Nation."

Anytime I can be a part some something that makes an Ole Miss fan mad is a good day for me.

Considering where you were the only thing wrong with that story is you didn't actually hit them!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: BirmingHam on October 29, 2017, 02:47:13 pm
So true..worked on  northwest corner of Lamar/Knight Arnold from 97-99.  Have I got stories for ya'll.

Dang. You should have gotten hazardous duty pay!

BirmingHam

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 29, 2017, 02:57:57 pm
Dang. You should have gotten hazardous duty pay!

Like I said, I gots stories...when I tell people, most think I'm making them up.  Don't know if Steamboat BBQ is still there, but it was decent; not the greatest, but decent.

ricepig

Quote from: Boarsnest on October 29, 2017, 01:26:58 am
Tried Melissa's a few times but we prefer Como Steakhouse in Como, MS it is 13 miles north of Batesville, MS. It is just west off of I55 in downtown Como. It is always packed but it was really swamped with Ole Miss and Arkansas fans after the game. We had a blast kidding some Ole Miss fans there tonight. If any of you folks ever pass through Greenville, MS be sure to go to Doe's Eat Place. It is the original Doe's Restaurant, it is in a bad neighborhood, they have an armed security guard to watch your car and assist you to and from the place. I guess it is kinda risky but well worth it for the steak and tamales. Lol! Wrong direction though if heading to central or north Arkansas.

Melissa Cookston that own's Steak by Melissa also owns Memphis BBQ, I get them to cater meetings for me but always go with her BBQ rather than her steaks. If I go steaks with a meeting I use a local in Arkansas. Como Steakhouse and Majestic have better steaks. I have had steak at the Flight a couple of times and it was good. It is just hard to eat steak at the Flight when you can get a Flight of 3 different meats, with options such as Bison, Elk, quail and fish. Felicia Suzanne's is also a very good place in Memphis. Texas De Brazil is good just hard to carry on a conversation there.

Folks Folley is one of the top rated steakhouses in Memphis. I have taken customers there a couple of times during the Mid-South Farm and Gin Show. I wasn't impressed either time. Plan to give it one more try sometime.

I'm sorry I didn't mean to hijack the thread. I live in Southeast Arkansas but this is part of my territory plus we have a place on Lake Enid about 18 miles south of Oxford, MS. Our daughter and her family live between Jonesboro and Memphis so we are in this area almost every weekend.

Lots of good places in Oxford just tough to get in on game day.

I've never been disappointed at Folk's Folly, but I probably don't eat there twice a year. We use to get a good meal at Jim's Place, but I haven't been there in 7-8 years. I enjoy Felicia Suzanne's, because it's easy access from Jonesboro, and I enjoyed her cooking when she worked at the country club before opening her restaurant in Memphis. You must be one of those chem reps with a good expense account, lol.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: ricepig on October 29, 2017, 03:23:45 pm
I've never been disappointed at Folk's Folly, but I probably don't eat there twice a year. We use to get a good meal at Jim's Place, but I haven't been there in 7-8 years. I enjoy Felicia Suzanne's, because it's easy access from Jonesboro, and I enjoyed her cooking when she worked at the country club before opening her restaurant in Memphis. You must be one of those chem reps with a good expense account, lol.
Jim's Place went out of business. FF is best steakhouse in Memphis, overall. Bar is nice, service is 1st class. It's where nice Memphians dine.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

elksnort

One more restaurant plug, Erling Jensen's can be really good.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: elksnort on October 29, 2017, 03:40:41 pm
One more restaurant plug, Erling Jensen's can be really good.
And it can be bad too. I like Erling a lot and he tries very hard. But, my experiences there over the years have been around 60-40, which is not good at those prices. Service always excellent tho.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: BirmingHam on October 29, 2017, 03:04:16 pm
Like I said, I gots stories...when I tell people, most think I'm making them up.  Don't know if Steamboat BBQ is still there, but it was decent; not the greatest, but decent.

It's been awhile since I drove by there but the last time I did yes it was there.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 29, 2017, 03:38:09 pm
Jim's Place went out of business. FF is best steakhouse in Memphis, overall. Bar is nice, service is 1st class. It's where nice Memphians dine.

The old Jim's Place went out of business but they put one in at Collierville. I went to an Alumni Association meeting there. Not sure if that location is still in business. I believe it is called Jim's Place Grille.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 29, 2017, 03:42:14 pm
And it can be bad too. I like Erling a lot and he tries very hard. But, my experiences there over the years have been around 60-40, which is not good at those prices. Service always excellent tho.

Best service I've ever had in Memphis bar none. Second best, Napa Cafe while sitting in the wine room.

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 29, 2017, 03:47:20 pm
The old Jim's Place went out of business but they put one in at Collierville. I went to an Alumni Association meeting there. Not sure if that location is still in business. I believe it is called Jim's Place Grille.

Pretty sure it's still open on Houston Levee Rd.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on October 29, 2017, 03:51:18 pm
Pretty sure it's still open on Houston Levee Rd.

That's it! Just over the railroad tracks south of Poplar.

DeltaBoy

I love the Interstate BBQ and Corkies at White Station.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Karma on October 28, 2017, 07:50:16 pm
Ozark mountain restaurant?

No, but that is a pretty good spot. The place I'm thinking of is going the other way off Cantrell.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 29, 2017, 05:25:57 pm
I love the Interstate BBQ and Corkies at White Station.

You like Interstate's sauce?

I haven't eaten at Interstate BBQ, but I have had a bottle of their sauce shipped to me. 

I did not like the taste of it.  I looked at the ingredient list on the bottle.  It was a mile-long ingredient list.  Jim Neely had everything in it but the kitchen sink.

Hog N Bama

October 29, 2017, 07:16:49 pm #82 Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 08:53:52 pm by Hog N Bama
It was nice to SLOP around there and Limpert deliver the final tusk for the kill  :D

Letsroll1200