Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

IMO Defense is going to be much better than offense in 2018-19

Started by swinesation, March 14, 2018, 10:15:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

swinesation

I know Morris is an offensive guy, but I have a feeling we're going to have an impressive defense while the offense is going to struggle.

There are a number of reasons the defense could be very good:

- The defense lost very little. Henre' Tolliver is the biggest loss.
- Better defensive coordinator than we had last year.
- 3-4 experiment is over.
- Best players all returned, including some possible all-SEC types: Agim, Pulley, Ramirez.
- Best defensive backfield in a long time.
- Very good linebackers in Greenlaw and Harris
- Jamario Bell and Randy Ramsey are both going to break out this season under Chavez.
- Upperclassmen depth at almost every position.

And a number of reasons the offense could struggle mightily:

- We lost our two best players on an already poor offense: Ragnow & Allen
- Questions at QB
- No proven stud at RB (not saying someone won't break out, but it's all hopes and speculation at this point)
- BIG questions remain on OL
- Questions at WR (thank goodness Cornelius is back)
- Pretty much questions at every position

I like the possibility that Morris can do more with less on offense and his system will create a good enough offense. So I think this bodes well for the team. A stud defense and an offense coached by Morris. A weak schedule. Could be a better year than most expect. I'm confident the defense is going to be very good. Whether or not Morris can pull off a potent offense with the group he has will determine how successful the season is. 

Tusks

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

GuvHog

Quote from: swinesation on March 14, 2018, 10:15:23 am
I know Morris is an offensive guy, but I have a feeling we're going to have an impressive defense while the offense is going to struggle.

- Best players all returned, including some possible all-SEC types: Agim, Pulley, Ramirez.
- Jamario Bell and Randy Ramsey are both going to break out this season under Chavez.

- Questions at QB
- No proven stud at RB (not saying someone won't break out, but it's all hopes and speculation at this point)

I like the possibility that Morris can do more with less on offense and his system will create a good enough offense. So I think this bodes well for the team. A stud defense and an offense coached by Morris. A weak schedule. Could be a better year than most expect. I'm confident the defense is going to be very good. Whether or not Morris can pull off a potent offense with the group he has will determine how successful the season is. 

The defense only returns 6 starters. While they return Agim and Ramsey at DE, the Hogs will be young in the middle of the D Line.

The offense returns 8 starters. An offense that returns that many starters should struggle very little.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Farrestor

If we are really going to throw the football all over the field the defense will not be better simply by default. And if the offense struggles as you say they will the defense really won't be better.
King Of DeQueen's Brilliance:
Man of the Silver Mountain - Live in Munich - 1977 - youtube it.

it eventually rolls into a slow blues jam with Dio sounding incredible.  Blackmore just eff's around most the time, dazzling as always.

Al Boarland

If the D is better than the O it will be a terrible season.  There is not a talented 2 deep on that side of the ball and we definitely don't have quality depth across front of the D. 

OLEJACKETFAN

If the D is as good as the O IT WILL BE AN AWESOME YEAR!!Everywhere CM has gone the O has shown real improvement in a hurry. All the way back to Tulsa being a Top20 O in his only year there! That year is also the year Tulsa CM offense beat Notre Dame. Don't worry about CM Offense, total waste of good energy! Just fill the stands with Fans!!!

East TN HAWG

We were 8 in scoring offense and 14 in scoring defense last year in the conference.  I don't think we have the depth on defense to over take the offense.  The our new scheme will also likely put our defense in a hole.  Hurry up (fast) offenses do that to the their defenses.  However, there is the opportunity to close the gap between the two units.     

I think it would be a positive sign if the offense could end up in top 5 scoring offenses, and defense could improve to maybe 7-8 scoring defenses.  A 7-8 defense for a fast offense would be translated to a top 5 for a traditional offense.   

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on March 14, 2018, 10:35:11 am
The defense only returns 6 starters. While they return Agim and Ramsey at DE, the Hogs will be young in the middle of the D Line.

The offense returns 8 starters. An offense that returns that many starters should struggle very little.

The offense is breaking in a whole new concept. They might struggle some despite having a good number of starters returning. The defense has played the 4-3 before and should be somewhat familiar with it. At least moreso than the offense is with its new scheme depending on how fast the offense can learn it and run it without thinking too much.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

razorbackfaninar

I think that what it really comes down to is nobody knows.  I mean we never really know, but this year is more of a mystery than usual.  We have players that may just not be very talented, or they may have just been mismanaged, can't know at this point. We have a new offense and a new defense, new coaches all around, completely new mindset for the team, new guys that were Morris's recruits having to mesh with Bielema's recruits. There are really only three options at this point, be optimistic, be pessimistic, or just have no opinion and wait and see.  We can argue these three perspectives from pillar to post, and we probably will before the off-season is over. But in the end they all have their valid points and are all just as likely to be right. I think that the good thing about the coaching change is at least there is some hope that things will be different.  I liked Bielema but even I had given up hoping that things were going to get better by the end. If they had somehow retained him, It would have been a miserable off-season of trying to convince my self and probably some folks on here that things were going to be better.

The Bielema era was like drawing prizes out of a treasure chest.  There was a big shiny official looking treasure chest.  We didn't know for sure what all was in there, but they talked it up so much, and the treasure chest looked so great that we had to assume there was some pretty great stuff in there.   But time after time each person that drew pulled out a turd. Some smellier than others but all still turds none the less.  After a while it got hard to imagine anything good coming out of that big shiny treasure chest.  Now we've got a new treasure chest.  We don't know what's in there. it might be full of gold, or it might be turds too, but at least we can hope again that this time will be different.     

azhog10

I think our D will be most improved. I'm not sure it will be better. I expect offense to struggle maybe a little bit more than we want, but not in ways we may think. I do think the defense will see improvements and a lot more explosive plays on that side of the ball and I don't mean explosive plays for the other team.

bennyl08

Quote from: Farrestor on March 14, 2018, 10:39:20 am
If we are really going to throw the football all over the field the defense will not be better simply by default. And if the offense struggles as you say they will the defense really won't be better.

Morris isn't an air-raid style offense. His style is closer to Gus's.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

SooieGeneris

- Questions at QB

This is silly... We had a "poor" offense last season? Really? It wasn't great, but middle of the pack in the SEC is not poor..

40 points should be enough to win most games, right? Yet, we scored over 40 in two games last fall... and lost, and barely got 2 of the 4 wins with scores of 38-39. But a "poor offense" was the problem?

We saw enough of Chase Hayden in 2017 to know that the former 4 star recruit is a stud. Whaley under performed last season, but is another former 4 star with a clean slate. Maleek Williams was impressive in fall camp, but gave way to grad transfer David Williams..

And Cesar Chavez is our new DC? And we all thought it was John C-H-A-V-I-S..
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

Vantage 8 dude

I just hope the defense will be MUCH BETTER this year. Whether or not it's much better than the offense remains to be seen. However, I would be extremely surprised if that's the case.

HogHomer

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 14, 2018, 12:03:47 pm
The offense is breaking in a whole new concept. They might struggle some despite having a good number of starters returning. The defense has played the 4-3 before and should be somewhat familiar with it. At least moreso than the offense is with its new scheme depending on how fast the offense can learn it and run it without thinking too much.
Not all 4-3s are the same though. We've been a read and react defense for the past 4-5 years. And the coaches make it sound like we're moving to a more attacking defense. Two different philosophies. So it may not be all that familiar to the players.

GuvHog

Quote from: HogHomer on March 14, 2018, 01:15:39 pm
Not all 4-3s are the same though. We've been a read and react defense for the past 4-5 years. And the coaches make it sound like we're moving to a more attacking defense. Two different philosophies. So it may not be all that familiar to the players.

Agreed. I can't remember the last time the Hogs ran a 4-3 defense with stand up DEs.

870rzrback

Quote from: GuvHog on March 14, 2018, 10:35:11 am

Where are you getting your numbers? If you count Pulley returning from his injury and Richardson at nickel most likely getting a 6th year then I count 9 returning on defense. And I only see where we lost 2 on offense unless you are counting either David Williams or Zach Rogers. Both of which had less starts than anyone I'm including returning on defense.

I wouldn't say our dline will be young either. At tackle Capps will be a jr, T.J Smith will be a jr, Armon Watts will be a sr, Guidry will be a third year sophomore, Deion Malone will be a sr. At end Agim is a jr, Ramsey's a sr, Bell's a 4th year jr, Gabe Richardson is a jr, Michael Taylor is a sr I think. Dorian Gerald coming in a jr. I wouldn't say we have a young dline at all. Mostly unproven but definitely not young

All Hogs

I believe both sides of the ball will be much improved just through the players playing harder under a coach that is no nonsense.  He is more like Pertino in that he demands but with a much less downgrading attitude.  I think that will help more than we even know!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: 870rzrback on March 14, 2018, 01:39:30 pm
Where are you getting your numbers? If you count Pulley returning from his injury and Richardson at nickel most likely getting a 6th year then I count 9 returning on defense. And I only see where we lost 2 on offense unless you are counting either David Williams or Zach Rogers. Both of which had less starts than anyone I'm including returning on defense.

I wouldn't say our dline will be young either. At tackle Capps will be a jr, T.J Smith will be a jr, Armon Watts will be a sr, Guidry will be a third year sophomore, Deion Malone will be a sr. At end Agim is a jr, Ramsey's a sr, Bell's a 4th year jr, Gabe Richardson is a jr, Michael Taylor is a sr I think. Dorian Gerald coming in a jr. I wouldn't say we have a young dline at all. Mostly unproven but definitely not young

Dorian Gerald is a DE, not an interior D lineman. It's expected that he will seriously challenge Ramsey for the DE spot opposite Agim.

Curl started in Ramsey's spot after his injury early in the season so Curl is listed as a returning starter although he has moved to safety.

Officially the Hogs are returning 6 starters on defense. Pulley would make it 7 unofficially.

Al Boarland

Quote from: All Hogs on March 14, 2018, 01:49:55 pm
I believe both sides of the ball will be much improved just through the players playing harder under a coach that is no nonsense.  He is more like Pertino in that he demands but with a much less downgrading attitude.  I think that will help more than we even know!!!

The players played hard for CBB. 

870rzrback

Quote from: GuvHog on March 14, 2018, 01:51:33 pm
Dorian Gerald is a DE, not an interior D lineman. It's expected that he will seriously challenge Ramsey for the DE spot opposite Agim.
I didn't list him with interior d lineman. Listed the upperclassmen on the interior and then the upperclassmen at end... Our defensive line as a whole has a lot of upperclassmen

GuvHog

Quote from: 870rzrback on March 14, 2018, 01:58:00 pm
I didn't list him with interior d lineman. Listed the upperclassmen on the interior and then the upperclassmen at end... Our defensive line as a whole has a lot of upperclassmen

As a whole yes, but the majority of it is at the DE positions. The Hogs will be relatively inexperienced in the interior D line.

Warrior Way 22

I don't think the learning curve for the offense is going to be as great as many anticipate. High School teams run the spread offense more times than not. Now I am sure the terminology is different so there will be adjustments there but scheme wise I don't know that there will be a huge difference from what they ran growing up.
"Warriors should suffer their pain silently."

Porkys Revenge

Quote from: Al Boarland on March 14, 2018, 01:55:33 pm
The players played hard for CBB. 
Until halftime, when fatigue set in, and we got our doors blown off.

southeasthog

March 14, 2018, 02:20:33 pm #23 Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 06:01:05 am by southeasthog
Quote from: GuvHog on March 14, 2018, 01:51:33 pm
Curl started in Ramsey's spot after his injury early in the season so Curl is listed as a returning starter although he has moved to saftey.

Pulley.
Quote from: 1990sHogBallChild on March 04, 2023, 04:08:32 pmWe have peaked... lucked his way to two elite 8s by getting the most favorable draws in tourney history. Beat the most over-rated 1 seed in the history of college basketball in Gonzaga who would be a 6 seed if they played in a real conference. Then Muss's other 5 tourney wins are against an average of a 12 seed. A few dozen coaches could have done that. Two losing records in SEC play is as much as MA had in 8 years.

870rzrback

Quote from: GuvHog on March 14, 2018, 02:01:48 pm
As a whole yes, but the majority of it is at the DE positions. The Hogs will be relatively inexperienced in the interior D line.
Our interior lineman have far more experience than everyone at end outside of Agim...

On the interior we have Capps, who should be our best interior lineman and has a lot of experience, Smith, who is a returning starter at end last year moving back to the interior with the change back to a 4-3, Watts, who is a SR with in game experience, Guidry who is a talented 3rd year Sophomore, and Marshall who i believe is a 3rd year Sophomore as well with experience.

At End we are returning 2 players with in game experience at the position...

Sed76

If nothing else I feel like tackling will be better and hopefully the Chief will make sure our guys are in position where the middle of the field isn't wide open every single play. But considering how atrocious the defense has been the past 2 years just about anything would be an improvement.

Al Boarland

Quote from: Porkys Revenge on March 14, 2018, 02:15:44 pm

When you don't have quality depth you will see fatigue.

OLEJACKETFAN

This Type Offense can struggle in the early stages. There will be a learning curve. Usually mistakes are made when the QB is pressing too hard, making bad reads and throwing into Coverage. What really excites me, and the reason I feel like this wont be as big of an issue here is the Hogs have really talented running backs which will help lots. The other big positive is it appears the Tightends are very talented! They can make a huge difference in this scheme. SMU never really had a Tightend that could block and also be a receiving threat.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Al Boarland on March 14, 2018, 03:11:37 pm
When you don't have quality depth you will see fatigue.
No doubt the lack of depth has hurt; however, I also believe in many respects our lack of conditioning also had something to do with our poor second half performances. Heck, it seemed at times many of our guys were beginning to run out of steam before halftime. THAT has to do with lack of stamina.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

- Questions at QB

If Cornelius doesn't work off the 30lbs that Herb put on him he won't be a factor that can be depended upon. Players that can't shake off a defender and run to open spaces fast won't get much playing time.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

King Kong

I expect an improved defense early. We probably wear our toward the end of the year lack of depth

bphi11ips

I think Arkansas is going to be much better than most will predict - in all areas.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

jgphillips3

Any fair minded person who knows anything about football knows that a new offense install takes a couple of years to fully implement.  However, just like Petrino's first year, we will see competence and flashes of things to come if not a finished product.  Going back to a 4-3 that most of our guys already somewhat know in principle should make the new defense a quicker install and the fact that we are actually going to attack and let our guys do what they are capable of leads me to believe the defense will "look" ahead of the offense the first half of the season but I expect sound football on both sides for a change.  Growing pains...sure, but I think we will be very surprising overall.

LZH

Quote from: Porkys Revenge on March 14, 2018, 02:15:44 pm

Or when they just flat out quit.

Porkys Revenge

havok

I hope we see major improvement...since Defense was so bad last year.

But going into last year.. I reflected on the previous season after Robb Smith left, thinking "The Defense will have to improve.. it couldn't get any worse" and then Coach Paul Rhodes said.. "OH Really?  Here hold My PB & J Sandwich".     It was so painful to watch.

Porkys Revenge

bennyl08

Quote from: tusked on March 14, 2018, 10:30:13 am
I love a good beer buzz in the morning.

Hey, so far our defense has allowed zero points this season while our offense hasn't scored any.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

RockyMtnHog

"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

The Kig

Quote from: havok on March 14, 2018, 07:26:28 pm
I hope we see major improvement...since Defense was so bad last year.

But going into last year.. I reflected on the previous season after Robb Smith left, thinking "The Defense will have to improve.. it couldn't get any worse" and then Coach Paul Rhodes said.. "OH Really?  Here hold My PB & J Sandwich".     It was so painful to watch.

Exactly... Not sure how anyone in their right mind can expect much from this D.  It wasn't just last year, we have been on a historically bad slide.  Returning a bunch of players from an awful defense...it has to get better.  Can't get worse, right?  Hope we improve and believe we have some talent, but not much.
Poker Porker

swinesation

I'm not usually the kind of guy to pull up old posts and brag about it (I'm wrong as much as I am right), but since no one has agreed with me, I'll probably be doing it if/when this defense ends up being salty. People always seem to forget it's about the players, and the clear studs on this team are on the defensive side of the ball: Agim, Pulley, Ramirez. The offense has what, Froholdt?

I remember when Flowers, Philon, and Spaight graduated, I just knew our defense was going to tumble. I was shocked that many thought our defense was going to be BETTER. It did tumble, because great players make a HUGE difference. You just wait - the studs on this team are on the defense.

1highhog

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on March 14, 2018, 11:21:31 am
Agreed. It takes great depth (especially on the line) to excel at defense. We're pretty lacking in that department and have been for awhile, which is why our D has been consistently terrible

Agreed, Chavis has even expressed concern when he first arrived regarding the overall lack of talent and depth on our defense.  So I wouldn't go as far to say that our defense is going to be our strength this coming season.

I think that "IF" there is a way to patch up this OLINE we have, and guys, this is a mighty big IF, then we could have a decent season.  I'm talking about and 8 win season counting a bowl game win, and no, I didn't have any peyote.

Al Boarland

Quote from: bphi11ips on March 14, 2018, 06:05:39 pm
I think Arkansas is going to be much better than most will predict - in all areas.

If they are better than Hogville predicts it will be quite the accomplishment. I'm going to say most of the experts will have it right.

MuskogeeHogFan

March 15, 2018, 06:00:40 am #43 Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 06:26:37 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
I'm hoping for an improvement in our defense. In all fairness to Chavis, I don't expect miracles. He certainly had better recruited talent to work with at A&M than he has here at this moment so we will see in time what he can do with our crew. Here is how his defenses at A&M fared in these categories year by year.

Rank   Sacks   Rank   TFL    Rank   Rush D    Rank   Pass D     Rank    Scoring D     Rank   T/O's
2017      2        43       34     89      70       171          85      238         87           30.7           41      22
2016     14       39        4     111      80      192          91      250         40           24.5           32      24
2015     26       34        3     111     107      214          4       166         28           22.0           78      18

So, get better over time? Absolutely. Significantly better immediately? Probably not.
Go Hogs Go!

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

It wouldn't take much. When the last guy decided to switch to a 3-4, he doomed himself and everyone below him, especially the players. For the 3- 4 to have success, you need disciplined, physically elite linebackers. Ours were neither of those and therefore destined to fail.
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

rtr

Quote from: swinesation on March 15, 2018, 01:04:18 am
I'm not usually the kind of guy to pull up old posts and brag about it (I'm wrong as much as I am right), but since no one has agreed with me, I'll probably be doing it if/when this defense ends up being salty. People always seem to forget it's about the players, and the clear studs on this team are on the defensive side of the ball: Agim, Pulley, Ramirez. The offense has what, Froholdt?

I remember when Flowers, Philon, and Spaight graduated, I just knew our defense was going to tumble. I was shocked that many thought our defense was going to be BETTER. It did tumble, because great players make a HUGE difference. You just wait - the studs on this team are on the defense.
No, this board needs a contrarian point of view.  If certain posters come to an opinion, they beat back all attempts at dissent.  Then the group think takes over.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

Al Boarland

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 14, 2018, 03:56:27 pm
No doubt the lack of depth has hurt; however, I also believe in many respects our lack of conditioning also had something to do with our poor second half performances. Heck, it seemed at times many of our guys were beginning to run out of steam before halftime. THAT has to do with lack of stamina.

It's hard to perform at a high level consistently when the person you are up against has more talent.

wildturkey8

Quote from: Al Boarland on March 15, 2018, 10:04:29 am
It's hard to perform at a high level consistently when the person you are up against has more talent.
That sounds like a losers mentality. 

Al Boarland

Quote from: wildturkey8 on March 15, 2018, 10:38:32 am
That sounds like a losers mentality.

It also sounds like reality.  I know this board is full of Rudy's, but talent is one of the most important factors in competitive sports.  Technique only takes you so far.