Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why so much emphasis on Texas recruiting.

Started by zuko, December 15, 2017, 01:02:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

zuko

There is a lot of talk about Coach Morris's ability to recruit in Texas and I wonder why that is so important. Texas has 77 players on their roster from Texas with the remainder (22) from 10 States (they finished 6-6) Arkansas recruited in 12 States & we know how that finished. Alabama, the most consistent team in Major college football recruited in 22 States with 13 players from Texas. Almost all of Coach Morris's SMU team came from Texas with and oddity of 1 from NJ. Alabama, the most consistently winning team in college football recruited in 22 different states. Maybe we don't reach out far enough. Have a great time tearing this apart.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: zuko on December 15, 2017, 01:02:27 pm
There is a lot of talk about Coach Morris's ability to recruit in Texas and I wonder why that is so important. Texas has 77 players on their roster from Texas with the remainder (22) from 10 States (they finished 6-6) Arkansas recruited in 12 States & we know how that finished. Alabama, the most consistent team in Major college football recruited in 22 States with 13 players from Texas. Almost all of Coach Morris's SMU team came from Texas with and oddity of 1 from NJ. Alabama, the most consistently winning team in college football recruited in 22 different states. Maybe we don't reach out far enough. Have a great time tearing this apart.
Using Texas as your example is incorrect.  What about OU, OSU, TCU, etc.  What % of their rosters are from Texas?

Texas is one of the most talent rich states in the country.  And we are right next door.  We must get 10-15 Texas players year in and year out.

HF#1

Because it is the closest most fertile recruiting grounds for Arkansas.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

311Hog

what would the fire nation know about recruiting.

Seebs

To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Pig in the Pokey

oh boy...,.

impressive 16 to 1 smite ratio

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Psychohog

"Mr Sutton, why do you rob banks?"    Sutton: "Because that's where the money is."
Never smarten up a chump.

FraggleHog

Arkansas only produces on average about 5-8 SEC caliber recruits every year. Talent rich Texas is right next door so Ark needs to rely on those recruiting grounds to get quality D1 players

IMO, below is about what Arkansas should be doing every recruiting cycle.

Arkansas - Top 6-7 players in the state (in a good year)
Texas - 8-10 recruits
Louisiana - 3
Oklahoma - 2
Other - 3-7 from other states
Calling the Hogs from DFW

HF#1

Quote from: HF#1 on December 15, 2017, 01:08:22 pm
Because it is the closest most fertile recruiting grounds for Arkansas.

I'd argue Louisiana is as fertile and as important as Texas, imo.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

hogsanity

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on December 15, 2017, 01:04:32 pm
Using Texas as your example is incorrect.  What about OU, OSU, TCU, etc.  What % of their rosters are from Texas?

Texas is one of the most talent rich states in the country.  And we are right next door.  We must get 10-15 Texas players year in and year out.

and they are in the same conference with Texas ties and they play each other every year.

When Arkansas goes to recruit a TExas kid they tell them " Yea, you will play in Texas once a year until the deal with A&M runs out maybe twice if we sign another home and home with a Texas team."

But a Texas kid that comes to Ar will play most of their games outside of Texas in a conf with only one Texas team. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: FraggleHog on December 15, 2017, 01:17:59 pm
Arkansas only produces on average about 5-8 SEC caliber recruits every year. Talent rich Texas is right next door so Ark needs to rely on those recruiting grounds to get quality D1 players

Texas - 8-10 recruits
Louisiana - 3
Oklahoma - 2

why put quotas on it? Only 3 from LA?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

311Hog

Quote from: HF#1 on December 15, 2017, 01:18:48 pm

it is but Louisiana kids are way more loyal to LSU than Texas kids are to texas.  Also there are so many more Texas kids it is not possible for Texas to pull them all.  LSU will get the best kids from LA and if they don't it is because they went to Bama or USC or some other blueblood.

we have a greater history and footprint in Texas than almost anyone else (that isn't native to texas) saved Chokelahoma.

Warrior Way 22

There is a ton of speed in Texas...great place to get RB's, receivers, secondary pieces, and LB's. If you can take the SEC talent from Arkansas and couple that with speed from other areas (mainly East Texas and Southern Louisiana) then I think the Razorbacks are going to see a lot of improvement.
"Warriors should suffer their pain silently."

AHorseWithNoName

I've worked with teenagers in various capacities over the past 25 years.  As a teacher/coach, volunteer and as a recruiter for a college.  One thing I know for sure, most teenagers don't like to be too far from home.  Yes, they like to talk big, but at the end of the day, this current generation are homebodies.  They like being close to friends and family.   East Texas, Northwest Louisiana, Oklahoma, Southwest Missouri......those are areas that need to be tapped.  Kids can come to Arkansas and yet be close enough to their hometown that they can go home on the weekend.   Trust me, relative distance to UofA makes a huge difference.   That, in my opinion, is one reason (among others) that we must recruit Texas.
"A man on a horse is spiritually, as well as physically, bigger than a man on foot." — John Steinbeck

HF#1

Quote from: 311Hog on December 15, 2017, 01:20:40 pm
it is but Louisiana kids are way more loyal to LSU than Texas kids are to texas.  Also there are so many more Texas kids it is not possible for Texas to pull them all.  LSU will get the best kids from LA and if they don't it is because they went to Bama or USC or some other blueblood.

Doesn't mean you don't give it your best try. I would dedicate more resources to Texas and Louisiana than any other states. I would also go toe to toe with LSU down there. No reason to be scared of them.

FraggleHog

Quote from: hogsanity on December 15, 2017, 01:19:55 pm
why put quotas on it? Only 3 from LA?

No quotas... Just thinking about what a good ratio might look like... Our LA recruiting has been up recently due to Michael Smith and his ties. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have more
Calling the Hogs from DFW

Pig in the Pokey

Texas > Louisiana because 90% of Texas ALREADY RUNS MORRIS SYSTEM.

Thsi isnt a big mystery, guys.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Warrior Way 22

Quote from: FraggleHog on December 15, 2017, 01:17:59 pm

Texas - 8-10 recruits
Louisiana - 3
Oklahoma - 2
I'd argue that we need closer to 5 Louisiana. Tons of speed there...Scootah Harris is a great example. 3 star recruit that made 2nd Team All SEC his second year on campus. Other than that I couldn't agree more.
"Warriors should suffer their pain silently."

311Hog

Quote from: HF#1 on December 15, 2017, 01:22:25 pm
Doesn't mean you don't give it your best try. I would dedicate more resources to Texas and Louisiana than any other states. I would also go toe to toe with LSU down there. No reason to be scared of them.
i am pretty sure no one is saying you don't try and get LA kids.  the question is emphasis Texas is probably easily the top target, then i would say LA is 2nd.  AR has a good loyalty but those top AR kids are always important.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: FraggleHog on December 15, 2017, 01:22:39 pm
No quotas... Just thinking about what a good ratio might look like... Our LA recruiting has been up recently due to Michael Smith and his ties. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have more
id take 2-3 from Louisiana , maybe up to 4. Almost always defensive guys. B/c there are kids in Texas that are a much better fit, AND we have a better chance to land the top kids from Texas than we do the top kids from Louisiana. #facts

HF#1

Quote from: 311Hog on December 15, 2017, 01:24:02 pm
i am pretty sure no one is saying you don't try and get LA kids.  the question is emphasis Texas is probably easily the top target, then i would say LA is 2nd.  AR has a good loyalty but those top AR kids are always important.

I would agree.

greenie

Quote from: HF#1 on December 15, 2017, 01:18:48 pm

That's probably true.  CMM, however, is apparently very connected in TX, so that's where we're going to see most of his activity.  I sure do hope that he doesn't totally ignore LA (and I doubt he does).  Next year's efforts will be a better indication...he's trying to do as much as he can, as fast as he can right now, and that likely means Arkansas and Texas.

HF#1

Quote from: greenie on December 15, 2017, 01:25:23 pm
That's probably true.  CMM, however, is apparently very connected in TX, so that's where we're going to see most of his activity.  I sure do hope that he doesn't totally ignore LA (and I doubt he does).  Next year's efforts will be a better indication...he's trying to do as much as he can, as fast as he can right now, and that likely means Arkansas and Texas.

I don't dispute that.

311Hog

Quote from: HF#1 on December 15, 2017, 01:24:37 pm
I would agree.

i lived in LA for awhile have great friends still there today they are dyed in the wool coon arses that live for Tiger football.  That being said LA kids do like to play for Arkansas and several have done extremely well with their choice.  It is just the volume i doubt we could fill a roster focusing mainly on LA.

Unless you know we had hired a legendary LA high school coach etc.

Ex-Trumpet

Your thread title should have a question mark instead of a period.

With such punctuation, this would be either one of the dumbest questions ever on Hogville or a beautiful troll job!  Either way, congrats!!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

lstewart

Another factor that can make it easier to sign Texas recruits are the total number of students from Texas enrolled on the UA campus. I don't know the exact percentage, but a significant percentage of the enrollment is from Texas. You can walk around campus and Texas license plates are everywhere. I suspect already having so many Texas kids on campus would help sign Texas players. Of course, you still need to get players that are good enough to complete in the SEC. There are lots of recruits in Texas that are not good enough, so you still have to fight for the elite talent.

rickm1976

Simple answer:  because is is one of the most fertile, talent-rich recruiting areas of the county, and is relatively close to us.

Wildhog

I don't think Texas is the end-all, be-all for Arkansas.

However, you recruit where your connections and relationships are, and for Chad Morris, that's Texas.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Pig in the Pokey

Look, guys, there is more to it than "talent".
But, starting with talent. LSU is getting it, or Bama is, in that state. In Texas, that could be us.

BECAUSE, we are a better fit system wise than any school out there. And we have the connections in Texas.
They mostly run Chad's system throught the whole state. THAT MATTERS A LOT.

Wildhog

I do think we need to continue to hit LA hard, though.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: lstewart on December 15, 2017, 01:30:34 pm
Another factor that can make it easier to sign Texas recruits are the total number of students from Texas enrolled on the UA campus. I don't know the exact percentage, but a significant percentage of the enrollment is from Texas. You can walk around campus and Texas license plates are everywhere. I suspect already having so many Texas kids on campus would help sign Texas players. Of course, you still need to get players that are good enough to complete in the SEC. There are lots of recruits in Texas that are not good enough, so you still have to fight for the elite talent.
great point. as far as the kids go, Arkansas IS in Texas as they get in state tuition if they are from Texas and come to Arkansas.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Wildhog on December 15, 2017, 01:33:12 pm
I do think we need to continue to hit LA hard, though.
i dont see this staff neglecting any of our border states, but he did specifically say arkansas is the heel, with the footprint into Texas, oklahoma, and louisiana.

Wildhog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 15, 2017, 01:34:39 pm
i dont see this staff neglecting any of our border states, but he did specifically say arkansas is the heel, with the footprint into Texas, oklahoma, and louisiana.

Hope that's the case.  Gotta hire some LA recruiters.
1909/1964/1965/1977

311Hog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 15, 2017, 01:34:39 pm

what if we have a club foot?

redeye

I honestly don't understand this discussion.  NE Texas is the nearest recruiting hotbed to Fayetteville, so what is there to discuss?

It seems like some want to make mountains out of molehills, but it's really very simple.  Texas produces the most D1 players of any state, so why wouldn't we recruit hard in Texas?

Pudgepork

Quote from: 311Hog on December 15, 2017, 01:37:29 pm
what if we have a club foot?

Not a club foot.  We wanna have 8 toes on each foot to reach into more states. 

HogPharmer

Why does a frog bump his ass when he hops?
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

Ugly Uncle

Texas produces the most D1 talent.

Florida and Cali are second and third.

Florida produces the most NFL talent.  Texas is third.

Louisiana produces the most NFL talent per capita.

Texas is not in the top 10.

So, something I have said for a while...Texas High School football is overrated.  I would take kids from South Louisiana and South Florida over a kid from anywhere in Texas.

Now, it isn't that simple, there are exceptions to the rule.  However, the type of speed and anger that a kid from Louisiana plays with is not what you get from a kid from Texas...as a rule.

Just my opinion.

Still we need to get kids from Texas, because there is some great talent there.  They just aren't as tough, as a rule, as a kid that plays out in the cane fields or the marsh.  Again, just my opinion.
Retired Radio Host

HamGrowsOnTrees

So...

The op thinks it would be easier for us to recruit in Florida, Georgia, South carolina, alabama, california, and Iowa as opposed to Dallas and Houston where 4 star players grow on trees.

Im not going to tear this apart. It tore itself apart as soon as "post" was hit.

Wildhog

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on December 15, 2017, 01:53:14 pm
Texas produces the most D1 talent.

Florida and Cali are second and third.

Florida produces the most NFL talent.  Texas is third.

Louisiana produces the most NFL talent per capita.

Texas is not in the top 10.

So, something I have said for a while...Texas High School football is overrated.  I would take kids from South Louisiana and South Florida over a kid from anywhere in Texas.

Now, it isn't that simple, there are exceptions to the rule.  However, the type of speed and anger that a kid from Louisiana plays with is not what you get from a kid from Texas...as a rule.

Just my opinion.

Still we need to get kids from Texas, because there is some great talent there.  They just aren't as tough, as a rule, as a kid that plays out in the cane fields or the marsh.  Again, just my opinion.

I agree with you, although you can get big time skill players from Texas.  Any position that requires a ton of physicality, though?  Nah.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Dwight_K_Shrute

2 things. 

1.  We need to get over our Texas obsession.  It seems like part of the driving force behind CM's hire was "By Gawd Texas".  I think it's based on the GOBN and their love hate relationship with the Lone Star state.  Was that the only reason CM was hired?  No, and I've come to appreciate the hire, but that Texas drum got beat to death.

2.  On the flip side recruiting should be from the inside out until a program is established as elite and can regularly draw kids nationally.  It's not that you limit yourself to just those states but as far as a time investment in recruiting you are much more likely to draw a kid from a closer state than say the coast.  So as CM said establishing that footprint is important.  Own Arkansas, strongly compete in your neighbor states, and if there is a must have kid outside that footprint or a kid you have a decent chance landing then go after him. 

This staff is pretty smart considering the short time frame. They are already a known commodity in Texas so they started there, and also working Oklahoma.  Window is too short right now to make inroads outside the footprint.  They can do that for class of 2019 and beyond (think we they just did in Alabama).

Regardless of where they are recruiting you have to like the high energy, sense of urgency, and visibility of this staff.  They are cruitin and also laying the groundwork for the future.  Very much a breath of fresh air we should all appreciate.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

HF#1

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on December 15, 2017, 01:57:30 pm
2 things. 

1.  We need to get over our Texas obsession.  It seems like part of the driving force behind CM's hire was "By Gawd Texas".  I think it's based on the GOBN and their love hate relationship with the Lone Star state.  Was that the only reason CM was hired?  No, and I've come to appreciate the hire, but that Texas drum go beat to death.

2.  On the flip side recruiting should be from the inside out until a program is established as elite and can regularly draw kids nationally.  It's not that you limit yourself to just those states but as far as a time investment in recruiting you are much more likely to draw a kid from a closer state than say the coast.  So as CM said establishing that footprint is important.  Own Arkansas, strongly compete in your neighbor states, and if there is a must have kid outside that footprint or a kid you have a decent chance landing then go after him. 

This staff is pretty smart considering the short time frame. They are already a known commodity in Texas so they started there, and also working Oklahoma.  Window is too short right now to make inroads outside the footprint.  They can do that for class of 2019 and beyond (think we they just did in Alabama).

Regardless of where they are recruiting you have to like the high energy, sense of urgency, and visibility of this staff.  They are cruitin and also laying the groundwork for the future.  Very much a breath of fresh air we should all appreciate.

The work ethic definitely seems to be a strength of this coaching staff. I know it's a new job etc, but they are putting in some serious work.

hogsanity

Quote from: Wildhog on December 15, 2017, 01:56:47 pm
I agree with you, although you can get big time skill players from Texas.  Any position that requires a ton of physicality, though?  Nah.

Hogs need Lb's and Db's with SEC skills & speed. tired of watch Hog db's run without looking for the ball and never turning to try and find it. Also tired of seeing them get beaten off the ball and not having the speed to catch up. Tired of watching linebackers that can't cover when asked to and that get out of position trying to cheat to make up for their lack of speed.

But no, lets keep worrying about getting 20 more wr's and finding a dual threat Qb, cause that'll fix everything.

GuvHog

Quote from: Wildhog on December 15, 2017, 01:32:39 pm
I don't think Texas is the end-all, be-all for Arkansas.

However, you recruit where your connections and relationships are, and for Chad Morris, that's Texas.

I agree with this but many on here do have that old SWC mentality of thinking Texas is the be all end all for Arkansas recruiting and they can't let it go. Coach Morris is doing a good job of recruiting Texas but just as much emphasis needs to be put on SEC states like Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, and Missouri.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

ThisTeetsTaken

We used to get some serviceable talent out of Alabama especially when Nutt was here.  Also, when CBP was here.  I believe Trey Flowers and Darius Philon came from Alabama.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

hogsanity

Quote from: GuvHog on December 15, 2017, 01:59:30 pm
I agree with this but many on here do have that old SWC mentality of thinking Texas is the be all end all for Arkansas recruiting and they can't let it go. Coach Morris is doing a good job of recruiting Texas but just as much emphasis needs to be put on SEC states like Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, and Missouri.

They have latched onto Texas being the cure for all the recruiting ills because they basically have nothing else. They know we are not going to get enough players from anywhere else, not SEC LEVEL anyway, so now they hope they can get enough from Texas to at least fill their desire that we have a 7 on 7 type offense.

Texas is a hotbed, period.  If you want to find many players capable of making us better, thats a good place to look.  The problem we have there is that we are no longer the second favorite place for a Kid to go to school right behind Texas and sometimes OU.  Now OU, LSU, A&M, OSU, BAYLOR, TCU and a few others are ahead of us.  Maybe we move up fast if Chad is truly a big deal in the state.

If we get lucky, you will be surprised how much 3 or 4 difference makers on our team could do.  We could go from 4 or 5 wins to 8 nearly overnight.  And from 8 wins to often 10 wins with a little more luck and hard work. 

Texas is close, full of decent players and we got coaches with Texas ties.  We must recruit Texas.

hogsanity

Quote from: 12247 on December 15, 2017, 02:06:21 pm

Texas is close, full of decent players and we got coaches with Texas ties.  We must recruit Texas.

Decent players is not what the Hogs need, they need SEC LEVEL PLAYERS, especially on defense.

311Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on December 15, 2017, 02:09:02 pm
Decent players is not what the Hogs need, they need SEC LEVEL PLAYERS, especially on defense.

there are SEC level players there, never have we had someone with legit pull in the state of Texas until now.  If we were ever going to succeed in our venture into Texas now will be the time.  Obviously if this CM thing fails we will know once and for all that we cannot get what we need from Texas.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: AHorseWithNoName on December 15, 2017, 01:21:49 pm
I've worked with teenagers in various capacities over the past 25 years.  As a teacher/coach, volunteer and as a recruiter for a college.  One thing I know for sure, most teenagers don't like to be too far from home.  Yes, they like to talk big, but at the end of the day, this current generation are homebodies.  They like being close to friends and family.   East Texas, Northwest Louisiana, Oklahoma, Southwest Missouri......those are areas that need to be tapped.  Kids can come to Arkansas and yet be close enough to their hometown that they can go home on the weekend.   Trust me, relative distance to UofA makes a huge difference.   That, in my opinion, is one reason (among others) that we must recruit Texas.

That might be true for the most part however even year athletes sign to go play elsewhere. There generally is a distance limit to some degree though. It all depends on the athlete, family and school/coach.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi