Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Recruiting w no DC

Started by twistitup, December 15, 2017, 10:08:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

twistitup

Hard to recruit D players w no DC...they want to know!

If we had no OC...same would happen on that side. Kids want to know the style being played
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Tusks

Defense, we don't need no stinken defense.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Hogarusa

Do 17 year olds really care? Can't Chad Morris effectively sell the program and the future as the head coach?
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Grizzlyfan

At his point it seems that Morris is willing to sacrifice this recruiting class, at least defense recruits, to wait for the DC he wants.

HF#1

He has visited and is actively recruiting several defensive players. Perhaps it isn't the quantity you would like but he isn't ignoring that side of the ball. Oh and he has gotten a commitment from a 4* CB with no DC.

It's actually harder to recruit with no defensive staff than it is without the actual DC.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

HF#1

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on December 15, 2017, 10:31:35 am
At his point it seems that Morris is willing to sacrifice this recruiting class, at least defense recruits, to wait for the DC he wants.

How do you figure? If anything, he will cut the fat off the team and bring in more new guys.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Pig Power

What if some of the defensive recruits already know who the DC is going to be?

Al Boarland

Quote from: Hogarusa on December 15, 2017, 10:29:52 am
Do 17 year olds really care? Can't Chad Morris effectively sell the program and the future as the head coach?

If he were at a top program, sure.

RME

Quote from: Pig Power on December 15, 2017, 10:35:33 am

Was gonna say something along these lines.

It's naive to think he's not at least giving them some form of reassurance in terms of a very short list or even telling them who he's got lined up.

Boarcephus

That's my point as well.  We don't know what he's telling them..
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

FraggleHog

My thoughts exactly. I don't see Bishop flipping if he didn't know who the DC was going to be.
Calling the Hogs from DFW

Hogarusa

I suspect this as well. No doubt Morris will be more forthcoming with a recruit at an in home visit than he would with the media

azhog10

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 15, 2017, 10:37:55 am
Was gonna say something along these lines.

It's naive to think he's not at least giving them some form of reassurance in terms of a very short list or even telling them who he's got lined up.
This would go against those saying we are interviewing and haven't come to a decision.......so which is it?

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: HF#1 on December 15, 2017, 10:34:50 am
How do you figure? If anything, he will cut the fat off the team and bring in more new guys.
I'm saying this in reference to the early signing date.

ricepig

Quote from: Boarcephus on December 15, 2017, 10:38:01 am
That's my point as well.  We don't know what he's telling them..

They're 17-18 year olds, and have Mom's, Dad's, and other kin that are in these in-home visits, too many ears for no leakage......

FraggleHog

Quote from: ricepig on December 15, 2017, 10:45:16 am
They're 17-18 year olds, and have Mom's, Dad's, and other kin that are in these in-home visits, too many ears for no leakage......

Easy... Tell them if word gets out and he links the leak them, then he's pulling their scholly.

RME

Quote from: azhog10 on December 15, 2017, 10:41:44 am
This would go against those saying we are interviewing and haven't come to a decision.......so which is it?

I would trust the head coach and his staff to know their own plans better than "those saying we are interviewing and haven't come to a decision."

Hopeful Hog

Quote from: HF#1 on December 15, 2017, 10:34:09 am
He has visited and is actively recruiting several defensive players. Perhaps it isn't the quantity you would like but he isn't ignoring that side of the ball. Oh and he has gotten a commitment from a 4* CB with no DC.

It's actually harder to recruit with no defensive staff than it is without the actual DC.

What 4* CB?

Hog Fan...DOH!

This is going to be a smaller class due to scholarship numbers.  Of the 11 current "commits", 5 are on defense. 

woodhog14

Quote from: twistitup on December 15, 2017, 10:08:43 am
Hard to recruit D players w no DC...they want to know!

If we had no OC...same would happen on that side. Kids want to know the style being played

And this is where our dumb fanbase comes in..."Oh, oh...we need to hurry and hire a DC just because I need to know who it's going to be and we need it for 'crootin!!""

Don't you want CM to take his time and hire a good fit with what he wants? Right? You want what's best for the Hogs and the HOgs to be set up for success right? He should take his time and make the RIGHT hire, not a hire because you think it's taking too long and messing with recruiting.

Obviously the DC hire is going to coach his team in a bowl game. Settle down, a good hire will happen.

FraggleHog

Quote from: Hopeful Hog on December 15, 2017, 10:51:10 am
What 4* CB?

Ladarrius Bishop - 4* on Rivals. 247 Composite has him as a 3*

woodhog14

You do realize he just had a 4* corner commit to us, he has offered a DL from Fordyce that has offers from UCLA, Bama, and several other big time schools that BB didn't even offer and he's also offered a 4* safety that is currently a Texas A&M committ that has a good chance to flip to us right?

Go ahead with your dumb narrative that CM is sacraficing the recruitng the defensive side of the ball in this class.  ::)

HF#1

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on December 15, 2017, 10:57:10 am
This is going to be a smaller class due to scholarship numbers.  Of the 11 current "commits", 5 are on defense. 

I think there will be attrition that allows for more numbers.

Hogwild

could be worse, we could be Arizona State.  Their plan was to hire Herm Edwards as a CEO type coach, retain the two coordinators, cost them $12 million.

QuoteASU fired Todd Graham after the season, putting the school on the hook for Graham's $12 million buyout. When the Sun Devils announced they were replacing Graham with Edwards, their ostensible plan was to keep all or most of Graham's assistants in place and put Edwards on top of a "New Leadership Model."

It's rare for schools to keep a fired head coach's assistants, but since they were under contract, ASU had the option. Athletic director Ray Anderson said he wanted a coach who'd consider keeping offensive coordinator Billy Napier and defensive coordinator Phil Bennett

In the past three days both Napier and Bennett have left the program. Their recruiting class has fallen to 10th in the Pac12 and they now have zero 4* & 5* recruits, only two players in the top 500 nationally.

Hogarusa

I don't follow high school kids, how often do they leak convos with college coaches that aren't public knowledge? And why would they?

FraggleHog

Quote from: Hogarusa on December 15, 2017, 11:17:19 am
I don't follow high school kids, how often do they leak convos with college coaches that aren't public knowledge? And why would they?

Exactly.. They may be 17 or 18, but you would assume they're smart enough to know that if they leaked info, it would have serious implications on their recruitment by said school

Hopeful Hog

Quote from: FraggleHog on December 15, 2017, 11:01:24 am
Ladarrius Bishop - 4* on Rivals. 247 Composite has him as a 3*

Yeah that's what I thought. He's a 3* but I have no problem with it. He may turn out to be a steal.

FullTiltBoogie

Quote from: FraggleHog on December 15, 2017, 10:38:45 am
My thoughts exactly. I don't see Bishop flipping if he didn't know who the DC was going to be.

Bishop doesn't know and neither does his dad. They stated that Morris told them when he came to visit that he would have "ONE of the best DC in the country."  Bishop flipped because after he was recruited by BB, he and other coaches stopped staying in contact with him and he felt as if he wasn't genuinely wanted.

jackflash

would like have a defense staff in place already, Morris seems to be alright without one so far. CB bishop commit, got a Miss State safety commit to visit.  Offered Ferrell who I believe he will get.

ricepig

Quote from: FraggleHog on December 15, 2017, 10:48:58 am
Easy... Tell them if word gets out and he links the leak them, then he's pulling their scholly.

Yeah......Some 5* you've been doing everything possible to get to come to your school.....doubt it.

ricepig

Quote from: Hogarusa on December 15, 2017, 11:17:19 am

Every day my mam, every day.....

Cotton

I highly doubt CCM has name dropped anybody.  Too much potential backlash.

"I'm gonna get you the best DC in the country. Period." - Something along those lines.

Also, waiting to get the best DC is much smarter than trying to impress a handful of recruits by having somebody already named
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Boarcephus

I understand that but when he's in front of defensive player and they ask him, he's telling them something and we have no clue what that is.  Evidently has not been a barrier to this point. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Pig in the Pokey

You guys are acting like the early signing date is the only signing date. True signing day is still 2 months away. There'll be plenty of kids to recruit. We'll only have a handful of schollies anyway.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Kneph13

Quote from: HF#1 on December 15, 2017, 11:05:39 am

I think there will be attrition that allows for more numbers.

A lot of attrition when boot camp starts. On both sides of the ball.
There is no Political Correctness in war

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 15, 2017, 12:02:12 pm
You guys are acting like the early signing date is the only signing date. True signing day is still 2 months away. There'll be plenty of kids to recruit. We'll only have a handful of schollies anyway.

But they are saying around 80+ % will be signing in the early signing period.

twistitup

If I was a big time hs defensive stud- I would want to be able to know my coach, his history and the schemes he's running...college is a HUGE decision, gateway to the NFL...and you would sign the dotted line not knowing the type of defense or coach you were signing on with?

Haha- no thank you

Now, if I was a stud WR? I would be very excited...
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

hoglady

They were talking on the radio the other day that there's a 3 week dead period for recruiting coming up from 12/18/2017 thru 1/11/2018.
If you rushed to hire a DC today there's not much of anything that could be accomplished for the next 3 weeks- anyway.
Better off waiting to see if you can get who you want.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

HF#1

It's possible that our DC is in the playoff. Just sayin. Not probable but possible.

hoglady

What defensive recruit are we on in this early signing period that is worth hiring the wrong DC??

The DC hire is the most important one Morris will make - it's much more important to get it right than anything else.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: woodhog14 on December 15, 2017, 11:05:12 am
You do realize he just had a 4* corner commit to us, he has offered a DL from Fordyce that has offers from UCLA, Bama, and several other big time schools that BB didn't even offer and he's also offered a 4* safety that is currently a Texas A&M committ that has a good chance to flip to us right?

Go ahead with your dumb narrative that CM is sacraficing the recruitng the defensive side of the ball in this class.  ::)
Well Bishop is a 3 star, not a 4 star.  And Ferrell isn't committed yet. 

I'll stay with my narrative is that defensive recruiting won't be as good as it might otherwise be with a DC in place.

HF#1

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on December 15, 2017, 01:20:03 pm

I'll stay with my narrative is that defensive recruiting won't be as good as it might otherwise be with a DC in place.

Depends on what service. I believe Rivals has him as a 4*, either way he is a solid defensive pickup.

Inhogswetrust

You realize that not every top recruit is going to sign in the new early signing period don't you. There will be plenty of good players still available in the spring signing and I'd bet we will have a DC long enough before then to have him go recruit.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on December 15, 2017, 01:20:03 pm

he's a better fit and is higher on Morris' board; Morris dont care about that star, man, he is recruiting SPEED> and our new CB is faster than the one we lost.

calm down, gushugger.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: FraggleHog on December 15, 2017, 11:22:54 am
Exactly.. They may be 17 or 18, but you would assume they're smart enough to know that if they leaked info, it would have serious implications on their recruitment by said school

On the other hand, some of those same 17-18 year olds make decisions that ruin their lives.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 15, 2017, 01:21:38 pm
he's a better fit and is higher on Morris' board; Morris dont care about that star, man, he is recruiting SPEED> and our new CB is faster than the one we lost.

calm down, gushugger.
Holy cow man. First you make up the fact that he's a 4 star and now you try to convince why he's better than the guy we lost.  Why can't everything you said be true AND it also be true that recruiting defensive players would be easier if the DC and staff was in place?

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on December 15, 2017, 01:25:05 pm
Holy cow man. First you make up the fact that he's a 4 star and now you try to convince why he's better than the guy we lost.  Why can't everything you said be true AND it also be true that recruiting defensive players would be easier if the DC and staff was in place?
I never said he was a 4*. Im a recruitnic, i know what his ranking is. I also know that 4.35 is faster than 4.55.
Furthermore, i know that Morris values speed above all else.

It's better to have the best DC in America next month, than an overpaid decent dc now. We already have 11 commitments, and only ~14 spots. Hiring a DC now wont make a difference in recruiting. And, we passed on hanspard, btw. Baylor didnt 'flip' him.

We are about to ruin Baylor by landing Bohanon, too. they have ONE QB on campus and only Bohanon offered....

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 15, 2017, 01:26:06 pm
I never said he was a 4*. Im a recruitnic, i know what his ranking is. I also know that 4.35 is faster than 4.55.
How did this conversation go from whether recruiting would be easier with a DC and staff in place, to the relative merits of Bishop over Hanspard?

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on December 15, 2017, 01:29:20 pm
How did this conversation go from whether recruiting would be easier with a DC and staff in place, to the relative merits of Bishop over Hanspard?
when YOU said THIS

"Well Bishop is a 3 star, not a 4 star.  And Ferrell isn't committed yet. 

I'll stay with my narrative is that defensive recruiting won't be as good as it might otherwise be with a DC in place."

HF#1

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 15, 2017, 01:26:06 pm

It's better to have the best DC in America next month, than an overpaid decent dc now. We already have 11 commitments, and only ~14 spots. Hiring a DC now wont make a difference in recruiting. And, we passed on hanspard, btw. Baylor didnt 'flip' him.

We are about to ruin Baylor by landing Bohanon, too. they have ONE QB on campus and only Bohanon offered....

Those numbers will change. Morris will have to cut some fat left behind by Bielema. I think they will bring in 20 guys or so.