Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I just want to thank Mike Anderson

Started by synthartist69, December 15, 2017, 04:03:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

synthartist69

I have always been a fan of Mike Anderson and of course Nolan. I knew he could get it done here and it appears that we are headed in the right direction. Mike Anderson is a great guy and great coach, so happy to have him here!

Hollywood_HOGan45

I second that. I had my doubts in the middle of last year but he proved me (and the blind haters) wrong.

hawgbawb

I post, therefor I am.
John Highsmith Adams rocks.

FineAsSwine

Thanks to Coach A for stabilizing the program and putting it in position to sustain success for the foreseeable future.
Hogs up! Covid down!

hogwood

Great to see a thread like this on Hogville!

Fan701

Remember how hopeless things looked in the Pelphrey days?  Mediocre to bad year after year.  We're now back to respectability, and, who knows, if things go right maybe there'll be national recognition of how far we've come by season end.  This team just might be our best since 1995.  I hope my eyes and hopes aren't deceiving me.

Cinco de Hogo

I supported the hiring of Mike Anderson enough to personally send Jeff Long a email stating Coaches case.  That said, college basketball is a tough job.  I don't think Anderson is a great coach but I believe he is the right coach for Arkansas and with him at the helm we will maintain a level of excellence we can live with.  My problem is more with college basketball itself and the need to constantly recruit.  Face it, players like Portis and Gafford don't come along back to back in Arkansas very often yet the pressure to maintain the level of success they bring to the program is great.  In the midst of turnover you experience in college ball I think a great X and O coach thrives.  The ability to mold and mesh a team and do it as early as possible is huge.  Man, the pressure is constant and I don't envy any coach.  Kudos to Coach for what he done so far and l think all I'll add is I'll pray for him!!! 🙏

NWAHog479

Hawg Red

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: NWAHog479 on December 15, 2017, 09:15:29 am
Time for an extension

Hasn't it been determined that "extension" is a dirty word? Why hasn't it been replaced with "censored"?

Pignominious

It takes a long time to make anything successful-especially an athletic program in division I. Thanks to MA for pushing the program back to consistent winning. We shouldn't take that for granted. There will always be randomness and variance; losing when you shouldn't, winning when you shouldn't. Consistency is the point. Mike's gotten us there.
Ray Biggers' third cousin.

Chorizo Hogriguez

Quote from: synthartist69 on December 15, 2017, 04:03:30 am
I have always been a fan of Mike Anderson and of course Nolan. I knew he could get it done here and it appears that we are headed in the right direction. Mike Anderson is a great guy and great coach, so happy to have him here!

yes! I like it!

naturalbornpigger

Cue the Leon Lett video...  premature celebration...

Little Lady Back

Quote from: FineAsSwine on December 15, 2017, 06:36:31 am
Thanks to Coach A for stabilizing the program and putting it in position to sustain success for the foreseeable future.

Well said Fine!
#NolanRichardsonCourt

chiti66

Always supported CMA, but always felt that he needed to tweak his style just a little (mix defenses, man/zone).  His recruiting is solid and is getting better with the addition of Scottie.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: chiti66 on December 16, 2017, 08:29:16 am
Always supported CMA, but always felt that he needed to tweak his style just a little (mix defenses, man/zone).  His recruiting is solid and is getting better with the addition of Scottie.

I think Scotty helped out some but the new practice facility is the MVP of recruiting, in my mind. The staff has always worked hard and now they have that brand new facility to help seal the deal with recruits.

It's kinda like when the ugly guy with a great personality misses out on all beautiful girls and then he starts rapping, makes a lot of money, buys a Maybach and marries Beyonce.
Hogs up! Covid down!

3kgthog

He's gotta get past round two here at some point. That should be the standard at Arkansas whether we love our coach as a person or not. If he never gets there, you're holding the program back by keeping him.

I say this as someone who loves Mike as a person. There's no one better as a representative of the Hogs. However, every time I see those slow close outs, all the easy layups allowed, and the stagnant half-court offense, I'm reminded this is what all of Mike's teams will look like.

Fan701

Quote from: 3kgthog on December 16, 2017, 09:44:38 am
He's gotta get past round two here at some point. That should be the standard at Arkansas whether we love our coach as a person or not. If he never gets there, you're holding the program back by keeping him.

I say this as someone who loves Mike as a person. There's no one better as a representative of the Hogs. However, every time I see those slow close outs, all the easy layups allowed, and the stagnant half-court offense, I'm reminded this is what all of Mike's teams will look like.
Yep, you're right.  Let's go back to how it was before Anderson when we didn't have to worry much at all about what happened in basketball since we were consistently bad.  We sure never had to concern ourselves too often with worrying about making it to the second round.  Anderson has given us all these new worries like will we make it to the sweet sixteen or beyond.  Just terrible, so much anxiety over our seed, something we used to never have to worry about since we weren't going to have one anyway.  So you've got a great point.  If we got rid of Anderson we could all concentrate more on baseball and spring football come March.

porkinsons disease

+1000. Until he gets there, he hasn't gotten there. How dare we expect to ever get past the round of 32? The highest level of mediocrity is all that we should strive for.
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

Fan701

Quote from: porkinsons disease on December 16, 2017, 10:33:58 am
+1000. Until he gets there, he hasn't gotten there. How dare we expect to ever get past the round of 32? The highest level of mediocrity is all that we should strive for.
Damn right!  Get the pitchforks out!  Besides, I hear Pelphrey is available.

porkinsons disease

Quote from: Fan701 on December 16, 2017, 10:37:35 am
Damn right!  Get the pitchforks out!  Besides, I hear Pelphrey is available.

So it's another "why should we strive to do better, cause we might do worse " crowd?

Listen, I do not want Mike fired today or yesterday. But, the results are what they are. 2 tournament appearances in 6 years, with an exit after the 1st weekend. He has a nice team this year, but it's not without warts. What happens when all that "senior leadership" has graduated? 3 year pass? Coach for life?

GO HOGS!
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

Dr. Starcs

Fan701

Quote from: porkinsons disease on December 16, 2017, 11:20:58 am
So it's another "why should we strive to do better, cause we might do worse " crowd?

Listen, I do not want Mike fired today or yesterday. But, the results are what they are. 2 tournament appearances in 6 years, with an exit after the 1st weekend. He has a nice team this year, but it's not without warts. What happens when all that "senior leadership" has graduated? 3 year pass? Coach for life?

GO HOGS!
Nope. You've got it wrong.  It's not "why should we strive to do better, cause we might do worse."  It's because I'm pretty confident that the odds are about 95% that we would definitely do worse.  I feel pretty strongly that the chances of doing better than we have with the next hire is about 1 in 20.  What, do you think Calipari is waiting by the phone?  You're asking us to blow up one of the SEC's top basketball programs, one that has improved drastically over the last six years, to chase some highly unlikely fantasy.  Most likely we're back to Pelphreyville.  No thanks.  This was supposed to be a "Thank you Mike Anderson" thread.  Somehow it's become just another "I like Mike Ok but ... let's fire him if he loses the next game." thread.

porkinsons disease

Quote from: Fan701 on December 16, 2017, 11:31:08 am
Nope. You've got it wrong.  It's not "why should we strive to do better, cause we might do worse."  It's because I'm pretty confident that the odds are about 95% that we would definitely do worse.  I feel pretty strongly that the chances of doing better than we have with the next hire is about 1 in 20.  What, do you think Calipari is waiting by the phone?  You're asking us to blow up one of the SEC's top basketball programs, one that has improved drastically over the last six years, to chase some highly unlikely fantasy.  Most likely we're back to Pelphreyville.  No thanks.  This was supposed to be a "Thank you Mike Anderson" thread.  Somehow it's become just another "I like Mike Ok but ... let's fire him if he loses the next game." thread.

I went back and re-read everything and still can't find the "fire him if he loses the next game" post's. i'll just blindly follow with you and the rest of the CMA cult and assume they are there. I can save a lot of $$$ only expecting to attend the tourney every 3rd year

MakingPlays

Quote from: FineAsSwine on December 16, 2017, 08:38:16 am
I think Scotty helped out some but the new practice facility is the MVP of recruiting, in my mind. The staff has always worked hard and now they have that brand new facility to help seal the deal with recruits.

It's kinda like when the ugly guy with a great personality misses out on all beautiful girls and then he starts rapping, makes a lot of money, buys a Maybach and marries Beyonce.

LOL, best analogy I've ever seen. 

MakingPlays

GO HOGS!

You left out the part where under Anderson, Arkansas has the second best SEC record that last 4 years.  You also left out the part that before last year the SEC has been a 3-4 bid league, so it has been extremely hard to make the tournament in this league, with the lack of ability to pick-up quality wins. You also left the part where big name coaches like Pearl, Barnes, Johnson, and Howland have all been with their teams 2+ years and still haven't been able to make the tournament yet, proving that it's been no cake walk to make the tournament in this league (And 3 of them have been cheating).

Context is everything.  Saying 2 tournament appearances in 6 years doesn't mean anything if you don't tell the whole story.  Truth is Arkansas and the SEC conference as a whole was at one of it's lowest points when Anderson took over.  He's done about as good of a job as we could have hoped for, expect for the 15-16 season, which he's more than made up for.  He's revitalized the fan base, season ticket sales and selling out back-back games in early December show that.  On top of that he's locked down the state's best talent for the foreseeable future.  He's got the best players committed/signed from 2017, 2018, 2019, with 2020 looking really good as well.   

Fan701

Quote from: MakingPlays on December 16, 2017, 01:29:22 pm
You left out the part where under Anderson, Arkansas has the second best SEC record that last 4 years.  You also left out the part that before last year the SEC has been a 3-4 bid league, so it has been extremely hard to make the tournament in this league, with the lack of ability to pick-up quality wins. You also left the part where big name coaches like Pearl, Barnes, Johnson, and Howland have all been with their teams 2+ years and still haven't been able to make the tournament yet, proving that it's been no cake walk to make the tournament in this league (And 3 of them have been cheating).

Context is everything.  Saying 2 tournament appearances in 6 years doesn't mean anything if you don't tell the whole story.  Truth is Arkansas and the SEC conference as a whole was at one of it's lowest points when Anderson took over.  He's done about as good of a job as we could have hoped for, expect for the 15-16 season, which he's more than made up for.  He's revitalized the fan base, season ticket sales and selling out back-back games in early December show that.  On top of that he's locked down the state's best talent for the foreseeable future.  He's got the best players committed/signed from 2017, 2018, 2019, with 2020 looking really good as well.   
I agree with you.  By any fair measure, Anderson has been a success compared to the mess he inherited and compared with peer institutions in the SEC.  For several years now, no team has been consistently better than Arkansas but Kentucky.  I suppose there will always be some teams and some coaches out there who have done even better, but they are not our coach, nor likely to become our coach.  Or if you compare him against the greatest periods in Arkansas basketball history, then, OK, he falls short, so far, but probably so would anyone else.  He's made us a serious contender, and we're either just another notch away from being able to compete with the best or might already be there.  The idea that it's time to start looking for another coach is just ridiculous, but the complaints against his imagined inadequacies seem evergreen, sigh.

Fan701

Quote from: porkinsons disease on December 16, 2017, 12:41:39 pm
I went back and re-read everything and still can't find the "fire him if he loses the next game" post's. i'll just blindly follow with you and the rest of the CMA cult and assume they are there. I can save a lot of $$$ only expecting to attend the tourney every 3rd year
OK.  Save your money, then.  But by my reckoning, assuming no key player gets hurt, we should be in the tournament again this year for the third time in four years.  If Gafford were to return, we'd probably be a favorite to make the tourney again next year, making it four out of five years.  But suit yourself. 

pigface

We are not ranked but we deserve to be.  That is good enough for me.

AWHAWG

GO HOGS!

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: pigface on December 16, 2017, 02:56:57 pm
We are not ranked but we deserve to be.  That is good enough for me.

Seton hall lost today

Fan701

Quote from: porkinsons disease on December 16, 2017, 12:41:39 pm
I went back and read what you wrote too.  You don't write that you want him fired after his next loss, though I suspect you will, but you clearly want him fired after this year if he doesn't at least make the sweet sixteen, which is just nuts, in my opinion.  We can be thankful that you're not the AD.  Including this year, three of the past four years CMA has put some to the best teams on the court at Arkansas since the 1990's.  I'd think that at least a couple of Eddie Sutton's teams were better, but what you're seeing is some of the best there's been here except for a handful of years in the early to mid 90's and late 70's early 80's, if not a new golden age yet, then a new silver age at least, with maybe better to come. 

Temprees

Quote from: Fan701 on December 16, 2017, 02:09:04 pm
I agree with you.  By any fair measure, Anderson has been a success compared to the mess he inherited and compared with peer institutions in the SEC.  For several years now, no team has been consistently better than Arkansas but Kentucky.  I suppose there will always be some teams and some coaches out there who have done even better, but they are not our coach, nor likely to become our coach.  Or if you compare him against the greatest periods in Arkansas basketball history, then, OK, he falls short, so far, but probably so would anyone else.  He's made us a serious contender, and we're either just another notch away from being able to compete with the best or might already be there.  The idea that it's time to start looking for another coach is just ridiculous, but the complaints against his imagined inadequacies seem evergreen, sigh.
Also two SEC Tournament Finals appearances.

porkinsons disease

Quote from: Fan701 on December 16, 2017, 03:31:55 pm
I went back and read what you wrote too.  You don't write that you want him fired after his next loss, though I suspect you will, but you clearly want him fired after this year if he doesn't at least make the sweet sixteen, which is just nuts, in my opinion.  We can be thankful that you're not the AD.  Including this year, three of the past four years CMA has put some to the best teams on the court at Arkansas since the 1990's.  I'd think that at least a couple of Eddie Sutton's teams were better, but what you're seeing is some of the best there's been here except for a handful of years in the early to mid 90's and late 70's early 80's, if not a new golden age yet, then a new silver age at least, with maybe better to come. 

You infer quite a lot.

You didn't say it, but I suspect that you will make up every excuse that you can think of after his next bad loss (poorly lit hs gym,tired legs,holiday layoff,etc.)Are you ready to proclaim him coach for life regardless of what happens?

Listen, I like Mike and found him to be very nice when I have spoken to him. If you call his time here as a success, then we will have to agree to disagree. I just want the hogs to win, regardless of the coach. Many on here are fine with the results, as long as Mike is Head Hog.

chiti66

Quote from: FineAsSwine on December 16, 2017, 08:38:16 am

[/quote
^^^^^My Man!

Fan701

Quote from: porkinsons disease on December 16, 2017, 04:06:07 pm
You infer quite a lot.

You didn't say it, but I suspect that you will make up every excuse that you can think of after his next bad loss (poorly lit hs gym,tired legs,holiday layoff,etc.)Are you ready to proclaim him coach for life regardless of what happens?

Listen, I like Mike and found him to be very nice when I have spoken to him. If you call his time here as a success, then we will have to agree to disagree. I just want the hogs to win, regardless of the coach. Many on here are fine with the results, as long as Mike is Head Hog.
CMA really doesn't need many excuses, or any at all really, least of all from me.  I wholeheartedly agree with you that compared with some imaginary perfection or, say, with Nolan's run from 1989 to 1995 he's fallen short, but compared to reasonable expectations for a school whose basketball program's foundations had been pretty thoroughly dynamited by the time he took over, he's done well.  Competitive by his third year, bump in the road his fifth year, onwards and upwards since then. The progress of this program under Anderson is, I think, sufficient to satisfy any but the most die-hard Anderson haters, who, by the way, almost always say things like, "I like Mike but ...."

MakingPlays

Quote from: porkinsons disease on December 16, 2017, 04:06:07 pm
You infer quite a lot.

When you spoke with Mike did you tell him you bad mouth him on messages boards and let him know you don't think he's that great of a coach?  Seems kinda cowardly to claim you've had all these good conversations with him and such a nice guy, then first chance you get you go bad mouth him behind his back on a message board.  If he's that bad of a coach why are you wasting your time trying to talk to him, and then coming on here and trying to brag about how you've talked to him like that somehow makes your opinion more valid.

forrest city joe

+1000. now i love threads like this. need more of them herer on Hogville.GO HOGS.

porkinsons disease

Quote from: MakingPlays on December 16, 2017, 05:01:40 pm
When you spoke with Mike did you tell him you bad mouth him on messages boards and let him know you don't think he's that great of a coach?  Seems kinda cowardly to claim you've had all these good conversations with him and such a nice guy, then first chance you get you go bad mouth him behind his back on a message board.  If he's that bad of a coach why are you wasting your time trying to talk to him, and then coming on here and trying to brag about how you've talked to him like that somehow makes your opinion more valid.
Definitely not bragging about spending every bit of 20 minutes of my life with a basketball coach of a mid-level basketball team.  If you mean "bad-mouthing " by stating his record, so be it. It's in the record books and you can google it. Don't take it so personally.

Fan701

Quote from: porkinsons disease on December 16, 2017, 06:22:18 pm
Definitely not bragging about spending every bit of 20 minutes of my life with a basketball coach of a mid-level basketball team.  If you mean "bad-mouthing " by stating his record, so be it. It's in the record books and you can google it. Don't take it so personally.
What record book are you looking at? It must be your top-secret one because the one the rest of us can see is that of a coach who's been successful at every stop and who's turned our once dog program into a contender and arguably the second best program in the SEC behind Kentucky, who, I admit, is the gold standard.  Those are the facts of the matter.  Go ahead hate if you will.

porkinsons disease

Quote from: Fan701 on December 16, 2017, 06:45:35 pm
What record book are you looking at? It must be your top-secret one because the one the rest of us can see is that of a coach who's been successful at every stop and who's turned our once dog program into a contender and arguably the second best program in the SEC behind Kentucky.  Those are the facts of the matter.  Go ahead hate if you will.
Yes arguably... 2 tournament appearances in 6 years is legendary.......Allen, Iba,Wooden, Anderson....the Mt. Rushmore of college basketball....enjoy your fantasy world

Fan701

Quote from: porkinsons disease on December 16, 2017, 06:50:48 pm
Yes arguably... 2 tournament appearances in 6 years is legendary.......Allen, Iba,Wooden, Anderson....the Mt. Rushmore of college basketball....enjoy your fantasy world
So we should ignore the fact that we're almost certain to go this year and quite possibly next year if Gafford stays, which would make 4 of the last 5 years - a quite probable scenario.  It's sad that we're finally good, and we have so many fans who still hope we lose so that we can fire the coach and all wallow in misery.  Sometimes I think there's just something wrong with our fans.  They seem to hope for disaster and suffering.

MakingPlays

Quote from: porkinsons disease on December 16, 2017, 06:22:18 pm

Dude, cut it out, your embarrassing yourself.  There was absolutely no reason for you to mention talking to Mike Anderson, it has nothing to do with anything.  You did it to try to make yourself feel more important and like your opinion holds any weight.  That's like me going to the Daniel Gafford thread and saying "I talked to Gafford at Wal-Mart, Good Kid, but he's no NBA player."  #1 who cares if I talked to him, it's irrelevant information to the thread, #2 it's an unnecessary backhanded compliment.   

And I don't know what basketball people you talk to, but Mike Anderson is a well respected coach and only 1 of 4 active coaches that's never had a losing record in like 13+ years of coaching.  You don't have to like him because we have enough support w/o you.  There's about 18,000 in support of him calling the hogs right now as we speak in sold out Verizon  WPS!

Dr. Starcs

PygmalionEffect2

From 1977 to 2003 it was a down year if Arkansas got bounced in the 2nd round of the tournament. 

Now it's considered a glorious achievement worthy of a contract extension for the coach.

What went wrong?

I'll give MA credit for keeping Barford and Macon from leaving for Europe. Something he's never been successful at before.

And he seems to be locking down the instate talent. Also something he wasn't able to do his first 4-5 years here. 

Things are looking up but nothing yet achieved at the level required.

This isn't football.
President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

porkinsons disease

Quote from: MakingPlays on December 16, 2017, 07:42:34 pm
Dude, cut it out, your embarrassing yourself.  There was absolutely no reason for you to mention talking to Mike Anderson, it has nothing to do with anything.  You did it to try to make yourself feel more important and like your opinion holds any weight.  That's like me going to the Daniel Gafford thread and saying "I talked to Gafford at Wal-Mart, Good Kid, but he's no NBA player."  #1 who cares if I talked to him, it's irrelevant information to the thread, #2 it's an unnecessary backhanded compliment.   

And I don't know what basketball people you talk to, but Mike Anderson is a well respected coach and only 1 of 4 active coaches that's never had a losing record in like 13+ years of coaching.  You don't have to like him because we have enough support w/o you.  There's about 18,000 in support of him calling the hogs right now as we speak in sold out Verizon  WPS!
Quit deflecting from the point at hand. All I said was that he seemed like a nice,genuine person(btw, that's a compliment) I and probably hundreds on here have talked to him at football games. I never claimed to be on a first name basis with him.I am Joe-sixpack and nothing else to him. The point was that I don't dislike him as a person or a coach. I stated that I wish he would have been more successful here so far. Try and keep up.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: PygmalionEffect2 on December 16, 2017, 08:35:10 pm
From 1977 to 2003 it was a down year if Arkansas got bounced in the 2nd round of the tournament. 

Now it's considered a glorious achievement worthy of a contract extension for the coach.

What went wrong?

I'll give MA credit for keeping Barford and Macon from leaving for Europe. Something he's never been successful at before.

And he seems to be locking down the instate talent. Also something he wasn't able to do his first 4-5 years here. 

Things are looking up but nothing yet achieved at the level required.

This isn't football.
Refs, they mess up Hawgball calling every little touch. Media timeouts, teams don't get tired like they used to. Being in the SEC, where the ACC has been so dominant in the last 15 years, hard to win in the SEC unless you're Calipari where you cheat until you become a big program then you don't have to cheat to get big players. CMA is the man for the job and has this team as one of the best in SEC the last few years and not many coaches could do that to such a bad program for the last 20 years.
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

MakingPlays

December 16, 2017, 09:13:16 pm #47 Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 09:42:56 pm by MakingPlays
Quote from: porkinsons disease on December 16, 2017, 08:43:28 pm
Quit deflecting from the point at hand. All I said was that he seemed like a nice,genuine person(btw, that's a compliment) I and probably hundreds on here have talked to him at football games. I never claimed to be on a first name basis with him.I am Joe-sixpack and nothing else to him. The point was that I don't dislike him as a person or a coach. I stated that I wish he would have been more successful here so far. Try and keep up.

You're the one that brought it up that you have a conversation with him.  I didn't tell you to say that.  I tried to present facts to you since you conveniently left out every single one of his accomplishments at Arkansas, when talking about him. And you completely ignored that post and started talking about how you've talked to him for 20 minutes and he's nice, but can't coach.  I'm just trying to figure out why you felt the need to share that and why you felt is was relevant information.

Lady Razorback

I am big fan of CMA.  He has been rebuilding this program after a stretch of Heath and Pelphrey.  The end of last year, the beginning of this season, the recruits coming in next year are persuasive evidence that this program is headed in the right direction.  Maybe it isn't the way you would have done it had you been coach or if we didn't meet arbitrary goals in the time manner that you might like.  The fact remains we have a team and program that we can be very proud of.  Can't we all get behind that?

WarEagleSharkFalconHawg