Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Barnhill Arena

Started by NWAHog479, December 14, 2017, 02:28:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NWAHog479

I know this has been brought up and mentioned before, but would we ever consider playing a throwback game at Barnhill? I know we have our neutral site game in Little Rock this Saturday, just curious of the changes/thoughts. Obviously moving from 19,000 to 10,000 could be a big loss of $, but worth an idea.

hog of steele

Quote from: NWAHog479 on December 14, 2017, 02:28:23 pm
I know this has been brought up and mentioned before, but would we ever consider playing a throwback game at Barnhill? I know we have our neutral site game in Little Rock this Saturday, just curious of the changes/thoughts. Obviously moving from 19,000 to 10,000 could be a big loss of $, but worth an idea.

Barnhill isn't really set up for BBall anymore. It's not so simple as just going over there and rolling a ball out. So I don't see it happening.

DeltaBoy

Not easy to do since they using it for some thing else.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HogFaninMemphis

I think all they really would need to do is paint the floor. The seats haven't been moved. Effectively, it's the same as it was when we left 25 years ago, but now it has volleyball lines instead of basketball lines.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

oldfart

the floor is the same.. just needs new lines painted..  but why do it?  besides, pretty much dedicated to womens volleyball and gymnastics..

Inhogswetrust

December 14, 2017, 05:47:14 pm #5 Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 09:08:41 pm by Inhogswetrust
Good grief. Some of you need to stop posting. Why not go back to having the football team play in Quigley Stadium or the basketball team in the gym before Barnhill. I'm sure the people occupying it now would move out one day a year.........no wait............they CAN'T. It's now a Performing Arts Center.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

MikePiazza

It would be a logistical nightmare to try and set it back up. It could be done, but would cost a lot of money, and that's not something that the athletic department is rolling in right now.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

Smithian

A decent nonconference weeknight crowd would be a sellout, leaving people in cold. Huge lines at concessions and bathrooms.

Letting a much nicer, more expensive arena sit empty.

Only way this is ever worth it is a Midnight Madness type of event or scrimmage.

Mr.Gruntastic

I'd just like to see them do the midnight madness again.

mizzouman

Mizzou played a pre-season game in the Hearnes a couple of years ago.  Was actually a great idea.  Wore throwback uniforms, a lot of former returned, etc.  I think the Hogs should do so. 

IUHog

Quote from: mizzouman on December 15, 2017, 07:38:31 am
Mizzou played a pre-season game in the Hearnes a couple of years ago.  Was actually a great idea.  Wore throwback uniforms, a lot of former returned, etc.  I think the Hogs should do so. 

Let's be like Mizzou basketball--said no Razorbacks fan ever.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: IUHog on December 15, 2017, 08:52:34 am

Haha. +1
Hogs up! Covid down!

HogFaninMemphis

ha good point.
I do like the idea of maybe playing a game in there before it's inevitably shuttered and torn down, though. Maybe play a non-con there the year before it's scheduled to be leveled, or do as another poster mentioned and have Midnight Madness in there.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

Mick Hogger

We've already captured the "spirit of Barnhill" symbolically the last night and moved it over. No need to go back.
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

mizzouman

Would you like to play a throwback game in Barnhill?

hog of steele

Quote from: mizzouman on December 15, 2017, 12:59:43 pm
Would you like to play a throwback game in Barnhill?

No. Stick with the basketball palace of the southwest.

Birminghog

Quote from: hog of steele on December 15, 2017, 01:23:38 pm
No. Stick with the basketball palace of the southwest.

"The Basketball Palace of Mid-America." Let's face it, Arkansas isn't and never has been in the Southwest since 1848, maybe even 1845 depending on how you look at it. The Southwest Conference was just Texas schools and us.

hog of steele

Quote from: Birminghog on December 15, 2017, 01:53:59 pm
"The Basketball Palace of Mid-America." Let's face it, Arkansas isn't and never has been in the Southwest since 1848, maybe even 1845 depending on how you look at it. The Southwest Conference was just Texas schools and us.

Either way, a palace is better than a barn. And both are better than being in Missouri  :)