Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gafford Top FR in 2017-18 (ESPN)

Started by hogwood, December 13, 2017, 08:54:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogwood

Gafford being recognized as a top freshman, albeit in the "surprise" category along with;

Trae Young (OK)
Tremont Waters (LSU)
Lindell Wigginton (ISU)
Romelo White (ASU)
McKinley Wright (CO)
Oshae Brissett (SYR)

"Gafford has started just one game for Arkansas and is playing fewer than 20 minutes per game, but he is one of the most productive freshman bigs in the SEC. His per-40 numbers are impressive: 26.0 points, 12.3 rebounds and 4.0 blocks. Gafford is shooting nearly 70 percent from the field and is coming off a 16-point, seven-rebound, six-block performance against Minnesota -- in just 21 minutes. When the senior guards leave next season, Gafford's numbers could skyrocket."

I find it interesting that they insinuate he'll be back next year.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21742722/oklahoma-sooners-trae-young-tops-freshman-class-surprises-slow-starters

BannerMountainMan

Most def will be back next year, he will be a top 10 next year
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

hogwood

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on December 13, 2017, 09:05:23 pm
Most def will be back next year, he will be a top 10 next year

I would agree. But even now o think he could be a first rounder. What if he keeps improving (which he will)? I think it's possible he'll go to the combine and have people telling him to enter the draft. It will just depend on how bad he really wants to go and if he's willing to play another year of collegiate ball to improve his stock.

SemperHawg

Quote from: hogwood on December 14, 2017, 08:10:59 am
I would agree. But even now o think he could be a first rounder. What if he keeps improving (which he will)? I think it's possible he'll go to the combine and have people telling him to enter the draft. It will just depend on how bad he really wants to go and if he's willing to play another year of collegiate ball to improve his stock.
This is also my worry... 6'11' athletic dudes that can run the floor are in the NBA what QB's are to the NFL.  There are so few of them with his combination of size and athleticism that some team might take a flyer on him in the first.

Hawg Red

He's going to have people telling him to enter the draft without going to the combine. He probably has people telling him to enter the draft now. But unless he's being talked about as a lottery pick, he should block those people out. He'd be settling in a major way. He'll be one of the top sophomores in the country next season (much like Portis -- except him will have a higher ceiling due to his defensive ability).

SemperHawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on December 14, 2017, 08:33:23 am
He's going to have people telling him to enter the draft without going to the combine. He probably has people telling him to enter the draft now. But unless he's being talked about as a lottery pick, he should block those people out. He'd be settling in a major way. He'll be one of the top sophomores in the country next season (much like Portis -- except him will have a higher ceiling due to his defensive ability).
I am not telling you I disagree with you, I am just telling you in a guard dominated league (which the NBA is) they are always looking for the next 6'11' guy with athleticism.  If Gafford shows any kind of development of an outside jumper as the year progresses then it will become a real possibility. 

At his size, he is easily one of the more athletic dudes Mike has had since he's been here.  You can't coach what the good lord blessed him with.

Deuce Pigelow

I dont look for him to be back next season. I wish he would but im not holding my breath. And the plus side to not being a lottery pick is your going to a better team

Pinto

Y'all have to stop looking at him on an absolute scale. Yes, he has lottery pick talent and any other draft he would be a lottery pick. But this draft is oversaturated with highly talented bigs that have been on scouts radars since high school. It would be absolutely foolish of him not to test the waters and go to the combine. That's where he will make his money. Daniel is a smart and level headed kid. He knows how deep his class was coming out of high school. He's not in a rush to go to the NBA...

razorback1829

Quote from: Pinto on December 14, 2017, 08:54:35 am
Y'all have to stop looking at him on an absolute scale. Yes, he has lottery pick talent and any other draft he would be a lottery pick. But this draft is oversaturated with highly talented bigs that have been on scouts radars since high school. It would be absolutely foolish of him not to test the waters and go to the combine. That's where he will make his money. Daniel is a smart and level headed kid. He knows how deep his class was coming out of high school. He's not in a rush to go to the NBA...

This.

NWAHog479

Good for him though on getting good pub early on in the season... Seems like a good kid

Hawg Red

Quote from: SemperHawg on December 14, 2017, 08:45:05 am
I am not telling you I disagree with you, I am just telling you in a guard dominated league (which the NBA is) they are always looking for the next 6'11' guy with athleticism.  If Gafford shows any kind of development of an outside jumper as the year progresses then it will become a real possibility. 

At his size, he is easily one of the more athletic dudes Mike has had since he's been here.  You can't coach what the good lord blessed him with.

I don't think Gafford is as unique as you think he is (for the NBA). Big men are more fluid and mobile than they ever have been, and many of these fluid and mobile big men are much more skilled than Gafford at this stage. That's why he needs another year of development to become a true lottery candidate. DeAndre Ayton, Marvin Bagley, Jaren Jackson, Mo Bamba, Wendell Carter, Chimezie Metu, Mitchell Robinson, and even some like Robert Williams are bigs that have a lot of the same traits and abilities that Gafford does and are probably more skilled at this point. I think you are underrating how available athletic bigs are right now. Teams aren't looking for the next 6'11 big with athleticism because they know there will be several guys like that available at probably every stage of the draft up until probably the mid 2nd round.

He's already a fringe 1st round pick. He's there. He can go pro and get guaranteed money for probably 4 years even if he isn't a 1st round pick. I really hope he does not settle for that for his sake. He could legitimately be a top 10 pick next year with added development.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Pinto on December 14, 2017, 08:54:35 am

Players with any shred of NBA potential should enter the draft every year they can.

BannerMountainMan

Gafford now #29 on the draft big board. Not looking good...for Hog fans
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

Paul

If he continues to improve he'll be a lottery pick & we can enjoy watching him at the next level 

FineAsSwine

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on December 14, 2017, 08:55:07 pm
Gafford now #29 on the draft big board. Not looking good...for Hog fans

Where are you seeing this?
Hogs up! Covid down!

BannerMountainMan

hogwood

azhog10

Won't be a first rounder this year. But could be a lottery next year. This years draft is crazy good.

cram224

You basketball gurus. Skill level, how does Gafford compare to other Razorbacks from the past that was drafted? He looks like he will have an NBA body, what about footwork? If you got 3 years from him, could he be a national POY? I watched him play on TV when he was a soph. Seen in person 3 times now and I believe he may have the highest ceiling of any former Razorbacks. What do you guys think? Could he stay 3 years or 4? WPS

hogwood

Quote from: cram224 on December 15, 2017, 03:43:50 pm
You basketball gurus. Skill level, how does Gafford compare to other Razorbacks from the past that was drafted? He looks like he will have an NBA body, what about footwork? If you got 3 years from him, could he be a national POY? I watched him play on TV when he was a soph. Seen in person 3 times now and I believe he may have the highest ceiling of any former Razorbacks. What do you guys think? Could he stay 3 years or 4? WPS

I think it's very unlikely he'll stay more than 2 years. But yes, if he stayed for 3-4 years he would dominate absolutely. He has great footwork ft hat continues to improve each game. And I agree, he could potentially be up there with Joe Johnson on level of NBA success.

ShadowHawg

Take Cauley-Stein, add a much higher motor and a huge dose of nastiness and you get Daniel Gafford.