Gafford

Started by litmachog, December 11, 2017, 12:01:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

litmachog

FineAsSwine

Hogs up! Covid down!

litmachog

FineAsSwine

Awesome! Well deserved first start and he nails it with an eye-catching performance. Won't be long before the rest of the nation finds out about our big secret. The Gaffinator is on the prowl! Look out!
Hogs up! Covid down!

navyhog24

http://www.secsports.com/article/21739827/men-basketball-players-week

SEC Freshman of the Week - Arkansas' Daniel Gafford

Gafford, a 6-foot-11, 234-pound forward from El Dorado, Ark., averaged 15 points 6.5 rebounds and four blocks in wins over Colorado State and No. 14 Minnesota. Gafford had 16 points, seven rebounds and six blocks against Minnesota. He was perfect from the field against the Gophers, making all eight of his shots. Gafford had 14 points and six rebounds in a win over Colorado State. He has pulled down five or more rebounds in seven straight games and has multiple blocks in five games, including three or more in three.

HogMantheIntruder

We better enjoy watching this kid now, bc he's not long for college. He's getting better and better, and I really think he'll have a choice to make after this season. Two seasons would a blessing for the Hogs.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Rome26

This draft will be big man heavy so there's a good chance Gafford comes back if he wants to be a lottery pick.

Bagley
Ayton
Bamba
Jaren Jackson
Robert Williams
Wendell Carter

All are projected lottery pick

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: Rome26 on December 11, 2017, 03:44:34 pm
This draft will be big man heavy so there's a good chance Gafford comes back if he wants to be a lottery pick.

Bagley
Ayton
Bamba
Jaren Jackson
Robert Williams
Wendell Carter

This is the one thing that gives me hope that he will return. The only "problem" is the constant improvement he's showing. No telling how good he'll be by the end of the season.
   -Harry Solomon

Johnny Bobo

rzrbackramsfan

Bagley
Ayton
Bamba
Jaren Jackson
Robert Williams
Wendell Carter

Wow, the A&M game will be VERY interesting to see how Gafford matches up.

FineAsSwine

Bagley
Ayton
Bamba
Jaren Jackson
Robert Williams
Wendell Carter

Ok, great. Would be awesome to have him for 2 years and we are going to really need him in the middle next year as well. Time to start looking for his replacement right now'
Hogs up! Covid down!

FineAsSwine

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on December 11, 2017, 04:14:52 pm

So IF he outplays Williams and Davis, things will be very interesting indeed as to his draft status. I hope Gafford punishes both of them but I know that is a very tall order.
Hogs up! Covid down!

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: FineAsSwine on December 11, 2017, 04:19:07 pm
So IF he outplays Williams and Davis, things will be very interesting indeed as to his draft status. I hope Gafford punishes both of them but I know that is a very tall order.
Good thing he's 6'11".  😁
   -Harry Solomon

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: Poppa Tart on December 11, 2017, 04:21:43 pm
Good thing he's 6'11".  😁
Sorry, Rick Schaeffer got hold of my phone.
   -Harry Solomon

AWHAWG

Glad you posted that: After watching the game. Is it me or is he still growing? I work at a university and I have had several students grow at least two inches. Just asking...

upperdeck_hawg

I hope Gafford is a one and done. This can only help get these kind of kids in the future.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

BrooklynRoss

He needs to work on his outside shot for another year. If he can get fairly consistent from 3 or even midrange, he'll be lottery for sure.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on December 11, 2017, 04:14:52 pm

My money is on Gafford...
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: HawgnCorona on December 11, 2017, 08:03:57 pm
My money is on Gafford...

Same.  He might struggle a little bit early but then make some adjustment like "jumping higher" or "Dunking on them"

hawgdavis

And going after player of the year.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on December 11, 2017, 08:15:22 pm
Same.  He might struggle a little bit early but then make some adjustment like “jumping higher” or “Dunking on them”

Yep, that high motor he has is off the chart....
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

jchill

Quote from: HawgnCorona on December 11, 2017, 08:22:30 pm
Yep, that high motor he has is off the chart....

We are going to be spoiled after he leaves. I am not used to seeing a big man like that. When he catches the ball in the post, there's little to no hesitation. He just explodes to the rim. It's freaking amazing and he's just a freshman.

Roadhog82

He's a game changer when he's on the court. He always goes hard to the rim. Gives us an inside presence we haven't had in a long time. Hard to believe he's just 9 games out of high school

Roadhog82

Quote from: jchill on December 11, 2017, 08:56:46 pm

We are going to be spoiled after he leaves. I am not used to seeing a big man like that. When he catches the ball in the post, there's little to no hesitation. He just explodes to the rim. It's freaking amazing and he's just a freshman.

Wow we basically said the same thing at the same time.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Roadhog82 on December 11, 2017, 09:02:25 pm

Freaky.

swinesation

Could be the best big man the hogs have ever had. He'll be a lottery pick this year. NBA teams will be drooling over his skill set. They won't care if he can't shoot the 3. We need to go as far as possible this year, because next year's gonna be a bit of a dip without him and Barford.

wavybone

I remember talking about this team before the year and us saying no way that Gafford would be better than Moses was last year. It appears he very well could be. You wonder how high our ceiling is if he continues to improve and play at this level.

hawg66

I think maybe some people are trying to convince themselves more than others about Gafford's chances for returning next year. If he stays it'll be because he loves being a Hog. The NBA lives on talent. They have to have it. Gafford has it in spades and anyone who watches him can see it. Even NBA scouts. They won't care that he's raw. They'll have to have him. Our best hope for a second year is to hope he loves being a Hog enough to turn down or at best defer a fortune.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: swinesation on December 11, 2017, 10:28:19 pm
Could be the best big man the hogs have ever had. He'll be a lottery pick this year. NBA teams will be drooling over his skill set. They won't care if he can't shoot the 3. We need to go as far as possible this year, because next year's gonna be a bit of a dip without him and Barford.

Gonna have to agree with this unfortunately.  I still think we could battle for a low seed next year though.

BadHog

Quote from: swinesation on December 11, 2017, 10:28:19 pm

I agree. I'm ready to see a change with the one and done. These guys need two years. OK, WE need two years of Gafford.
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

swinesation

Quote from: wavybone on December 11, 2017, 10:33:52 pm
I remember talking about this team before the year and us saying no way that Gafford would be better than Moses was last year. It appears he very well could be. You wonder how high our ceiling is if he continues to improve and play at this level.

He already is better than Moses ever was.

masbas3

Gafford makes me say, Reggie who?

litmachog

I'm thinking Gafford is here for two. One reason is the rest of his buddies are coming next year and they have said they all want to play together. 

litmachog

Quote from: masbas3 on December 12, 2017, 08:58:56 am
Oh the thought of him staying next year and shutting Reggie down during the game sure would put a smile on my face. 

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: BadHog on December 11, 2017, 11:25:23 pm
I agree. I'm ready to see a change with the one and done. These guys need two years. OK, WE need two years of Gafford.
Can't fault the young men for leaving, but I think the practice of one and done is ruining the game (at the larger schools anyway). 

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: masbas3 on December 12, 2017, 08:58:56 am

See, this is why I was so frustrated with the Perry situation. Can you imagine Perry and Gafford on the floor together? Holy cow! That front court would compete with anybody in the country. And it would help bridge the gap from losing 6 seniors to next years class getting acclimated to D1 ball, not near the drop off we will most likely now have.

3kgthog

If the NBA is serious about the d-league, go with the MLB model but shorten the required college stay to two years for signees. It would allow the truly pro ready guys to go straight out of high school and those that get two years of college are more polished for the NBA game when they leave.

311Hog

i really hope we get 2 years with Gafford at least.

SouthTulsaHog

Just came out as No. 39 in ESPN's top 100 NBA Draft rankings.

jchill

Quote from: Roadhog82 on December 11, 2017, 09:02:25 pm

Great minds think alike at the same time...lol.

Grumpypenguin

Yall are crazy if you think Gafford is leaving after this year.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Grumpypenguin on December 12, 2017, 09:20:40 pm

Practically everybody on here hopes you are right.
Hogs up! Covid down!

SPAL

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on December 11, 2017, 06:07:41 pm
I hope Gafford is a one and done. This can only help get these kind of kids in the future.

Wow. ...wow

Hogcephus

Quote from: Poppa Tart on December 11, 2017, 04:05:27 pm
This is the one thing that gives me hope that he will return. The only "problem" is the constant improvement he's showing. No telling how good he'll be by the end of the season.

I honestly believe as of right now he still needs at least another year. However you have hit the nail on the head. If he continues to improve at the current rate I'm afraid he will be gone sooner ranther than later.

Hawg Red

Many big men in the draft this year, and the value of a big man is not nearly what it once was. He's #39 in ESPN's top 100 draft prospects, so that puts him closer to a mid second round player. But firmly on the radar, so we have him for one more season at best. I don't think he'll end up getting the playing time needed to cement himself in the top 15 or 20 that would have him firmly has a early to mid first round pick due to foul issues. But even if he's a strong bet for the early second round, we should prepare that he might level. I still lean towards him coming back, but that could easily change over the next month or so. He's scary good. If he can stay on the court, he'll have a good chance to go pro and secure a good draft position. We don't know what his goals as a player are. I've seen a lot of people here saying that if you're a first round pick, anywhere in the first round, you should go pro. People said this about Robert Williams at A&M. I get it, but some players have higher standards for themselves and are will to bet on themselves and go higher in the next draft. We really don't know where Gafford's head is with that. He may desire to be a lottery pick and won't settle for late first/early second after one season. There's a lot more security and team investment that comes with being drafted higher compared to a late first round pick. A late first round pick in today's NBA is not much different than a player drafted in the mid second round in terms of team investment.

Pinto

Quote from: Hawg Red on December 13, 2017, 12:57:12 pm
Many big men in the draft this year, and the value of a big man is not nearly what it once was. He's #39 in ESPN's top 100 draft prospects, so that puts him closer to a mid second round player. But firmly on the radar, so we have him for one more season at best. I don't think he'll end up getting the playing time needed to cement himself in the top 15 or 20 that would have him firmly has a early to mid first round pick due to foul issues. But even if he's a strong bet for the early second round, we should prepare that he might level. I still lean towards him coming back, but that could easily change over the next month or so. He's scary good. If he can stay on the court, he'll have a good chance to go pro and secure a good draft position. We don't know what his goals as a player are. I've seen a lot of people here saying that if you're a first round pick, anywhere in the first round, you should go pro. People said this about Robert Williams at A&M. I get it, but some players have higher standards for themselves and are will to bet on themselves and go higher in the next draft. We really don't know where Gafford's head is with that. He may desire to be a lottery pick and won't settle for late first/early second after one season. There's a lot more security and team investment that comes with being drafted higher compared to a late first round pick. A late first round pick in today's NBA is not much different than a player drafted in the mid second round in terms of team investment.

He's not settling for anything outside of lottery

Hogs49ers

Quote from: Pinto on December 13, 2017, 01:47:26 pm
He's not settling for anything outside of lottery

Do you know this as fact?  Like do you talk to him?
SCREW Vandy!

Hogwop

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on December 12, 2017, 10:07:26 pm
Wow. ...wow

I kinda see what he's saying, Coach A would be able to point to Gafford going in one year and it would be harder to use that negatively against him. It would be nice to start seeing a Hog in the draft every year or so.

But I really want Gafford to come back next year.
Pigga what?!
Quote from: PonderinHog on April 16, 2018, 10:27:02 amAn emoji is worth a hundred words.
9-07-1958 - 12-2-2011 R.I.P Mom, I will always miss you and love you.

HawgsPolo

Quote from: Grumpypenguin on December 12, 2017, 09:20:40 pm

I'm not worried either my friend, he will be back next season for sure. 
Go Cubs Go!!!!!

Pinto

Quote from: Hogs49ers on December 13, 2017, 01:53:34 pm
Do you know this as fact?  Like do you talk to him?

Lol yes