Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Updated RPI?

Started by checkraiser88, December 09, 2017, 09:11:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

checkraiser88

I think our resume is pretty much baller at this point. I said it another thread, if we go 12-6 in this tough conference we could easily be a 5 or 6 seed in the big dance

Wisco Pig

#9 at Real Time RPI
#10 at Warren Nolan

lynbug

No opportunities to slack off the rest of the way.  As good as we've been playing we're in the bottom half of the SEC.  Every conference game will be a challenge.  Better get our player rotation worked out  We seem to be evolving in that respect.

ShadowHawg

?

Please name the 7 teams that are clearly better

Hawg Red

Quote from: lynbug on December 09, 2017, 09:21:55 pm
No opportunities to slack off the rest of the way.  As good as we've been playing we're in the bottom half of the SEC.  Every conference game will be a challenge.  Better get our player rotation worked out  We seem to be evolving in that respect.

How are you coming to this conclusion?

lynbug

I DON'T think there are 7 teams better.  I think we're in the top 2-3.  I just think the SEC is stronger this year and fewer conf. games can be considered gimmes.

lynbug

Quote from: Hawg Red on December 09, 2017, 09:29:23 pm
What conclusion? Just stating a personal opinion for each point.  I do think the SEC is stronger this year but we've got a top SOS so...who knows.. hopefully, things will be easier than usual because of our SOS.

The real Hogules

I think an arguement could be made for A&M, Florida and Kentucky.
After those three we are as good as anyone.
Our half court offense and defense is a work in progress and we have to get back better getting back on defense, after made baskets, if we want to make the move to the top of the conferences pecking order. We have to clean up the little things and do a better job of attacking zone defenses off the drive.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

King Kong

Quote from: Hawg Red on December 09, 2017, 09:29:23 pm

Agreed. We are clearly in the top 6

Temprees

Quote from: The real Hogules on December 09, 2017, 09:36:44 pm
Our half court offense and defense is a work in progress and we have to get back better getting back on defense, after made baskets, if we want to make the move to the top of the conferences pecking order. We have to clean up the little things and do a better job of attacking zone defenses off the drive.
We are better than  Kentucky

MushroomCloudHog

This is the strongest the SEC has been in a while.  20 wins and 9-10 wins in conference punches the ticket this year. 23 or more wins and you have a high seed.

Hogs49ers

Quote from: MushroomCloudHog on December 09, 2017, 10:16:01 pm
This is the strongest the SEC has been in a while.  20 wins and 9-10 wins in conference punches the ticket this year. 23 or more wins and you have a high seed.

I think we would only need 18 wins with the SOS we have, seems kind of like the situation Vandy had last year with getting in with 17 wins and the SEC will be much tougher this year so a chance to maintain the SOS and get a lot of quality wins, 17-18 would very likely get us in this year IMO.  (Depends on which wins we get though)
SCREW Vandy!

Adam Stokes

Quote from: Hogs49ers on December 09, 2017, 10:19:52 pm
I think we would only need 18 wins with the SOS we have, seems kind of like the situation Vandy had last year with getting in with 17 wins and the SEC will be much tougher this year so a chance to maintain the SOS and get a lot of quality wins, 17-18 would very likely get us in this year IMO.  (Depends on which wins we get though)

Our SOS is pretty good, but many of our opponents haven't been holding serve. Minnesota is now currently projected to finish outside the Top 50, for instance. Uconn has been struggling. Okie State scheduled poorly. Looks like Oklahoma may be our only top 50 non-con win. Doesn't look like our non-con SOS will finish in the top 25.

So with that being said, assuming we finish off our non-con 11-2, we will likely need 9-9 in conference to be bubblicious, 10-8 will seal it.

Hogs49ers

December 09, 2017, 10:37:10 pm #13 Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 10:52:33 pm by Hogs49ers
Quote from: Adam Stokes on December 09, 2017, 10:24:30 pm
Our SOS is pretty good, but many of our opponents haven't been holding serve. Minnesota is now currently projected to finish outside the Top 50, for instance. Uconn has been struggling. Okie State scheduled poorly. Looks like Oklahoma may be our only top 50 non-con win. Doesn't look like our non-con SOS will finish in the top 25.

So with that being said, assuming we finish off our non-con 11-2, we will likely need 9-9 in conference to be bubblicious, 10-8 will seal it.

Vanderbilt was 7-6 in non conference play last year with wins over Belmont, Norfolk St, Santa Clara St, Tennessee St, High Point, Iowa St, and Chattanooga and then went 10-8 in a much weaker SEC conference.  They did however get 2 wins over A&M and Florida before losing to us in the SEC tournament.

I may have been pushing it with 17, but could see us being on the bubble with 18-19 wins and a win in the SEC tourney, especially if we get a couple quality wins over a top 25 team like Florida, UK, Tennessee, Bama, and A&M - going to have plenty of opportunities!  Also, Minnesota is a really solid team that has just had a tough stretch of playing very good teams, and if they are projected to drop out of the top 50, I do not see them staying out of the top 50 to finish the year.
SCREW Vandy!

alohawg

Quote from: Temprees on December 09, 2017, 09:39:26 pm
We are better than  Kentucky

I think on any given night Arkansas is as good as anybody in the SEC.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Adam Stokes

Quote from: Hogs49ers on December 09, 2017, 10:37:10 pm
Vanderbilt was 7-6 in non conference play last year with wins over Belmont, Norfolk St, Santa Clara St, Tennessee St, High Point, Iowa St, and Chattanooga and then went 10-8 in a much weaker SEC conference.  They did however get 2 wins over A&M and Florida before losing to us in the SEC tournament.

I may have been pushing it with 17, but could see us being on the bubble with 18-19 wins and a win in the SEC tourney, especially if we get a couple quality wins over a top 25 team like Florida, UK, Tennessee, Bama, and A&M - going to have plenty of opportunities!  Also, Minnesota is a really solid team that has just had a tough stretch of playing very good teams, and if they are projected to drop out of the top 50, I do not see them staying out of the top 50 to finish the year.

Vandy also had the #1 non-conference schedule. Ours won't likely crack the Top 25.

Hogs49ers

Quote from: Adam Stokes on December 09, 2017, 10:57:03 pm
Vandy also had the #1 non-conference schedule. Ours won't likely crack the Top 25.

But they lost to every good team they played that helped them get that tough SOS.  We have the 3rd best SOS in the country right now (according to Warrenolan.com) and I would imagine that will drop a bit with our next few games, but I would not imagine we will drop out of the top 25 in SOS.  I would like to think we already have 3 wins over teams that will be in the tourney come the end of the year in OU, Minn, and Bucknell.  WarrenNolan currently has us 2-1 against the RPI top 50.
SCREW Vandy!

Adam Stokes

Quote from: Hogs49ers on December 09, 2017, 11:05:14 pm
But they lost to every good team they played that helped them get that tough SOS.  We have the 3rd best SOS in the country right now (according to Warrenolan.com) and I would imagine that will drop a bit with our next few games, but I would not imagine we will drop out of the top 25 in SOS.  I would like to think we already have 3 wins over teams that will be in the tourney come the end of the year in OU, Minn, and Bucknell.  WarrenNolan currently has us 2-1 against the RPI top 50.

This is a good site. They do all the work for you. They factor in future competition. On the day our SOS performed well, of the 16 games that we played we were expected to go 10.3-5.7, ended 12-4, so our projected SOS will likely get an uptick. Going into today it was projected to finish 41 in non-con and 31 once conference play was through.

http://www.rpiforecast.com/teams/Arkansas.html

Hogs49ers

SCREW Vandy!

leroyhawg

God Loves a Working man, dont trust Whitey and darn from Shinola. Navin

Navin Johnson

leroyhawg

Exactly dead on, our biggest issue can Thomas give a lot of quality minutes. A lot of our matchups are going to be speed vs power, in March Power kills, we are top 5 in SEC at worst, SEC is best in the top half we have been in long time.
God Loves a Working man, dont trust Whitey and darn from Shinola. Navin

Navin Johnson

synthartist69

One team of tiny midgets could destroy us... like in Houston

King Kong

Quote from: alohawg on December 09, 2017, 10:48:41 pm
I think on any given night Arkansas is as good as anybody in the SEC.

Especially in BWA

bigred223

Quote from: synthartist69 on December 09, 2017, 11:31:39 pm
One team of tiny midgets could destroy us... like in Houston

Just one of those games. I think we crush them at bud Walton.

Hogs49ers

Quote from: Adam Stokes on December 09, 2017, 11:17:56 pm
This is a good site. They do all the work for you. They factor in future competition. On the day our SOS performed well, of the 16 games that we played we were expected to go 10.3-5.7, ended 12-4, so our projected SOS will likely get an uptick. Going into today it was projected to finish 41 in non-con and 31 once conference play was through.

http://www.rpiforecast.com/teams/Arkansas.html

So I noticed that site currently has us at #3 SOS (Warrennolan has us at #2), but will 3 games really bump a teams SOS from #3 to #39 like the site is suggesting??  I mean I know we play two sub 200+ RPI teams and 1 team around the 70s, but that is a pretty major drop for just 3 games it seems like.  Just really makes me wish we were playing a few more teams like Colorado State and Fresno State rather than Troy and Oral Roberts.
SCREW Vandy!

King

Warren Nolan has us predicted to win the SEC right now in a tie with A&M.

http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2018/conf-prediction?conference=SEC

Rawker

Quote from: bigred223 on December 10, 2017, 02:45:55 am
Just one of those games. I think we crush them at bud Walton.

Pffff....we beat them at THEIR place if we did it again.  I've never see a team more out of their minds.  It was like the flubber game in Absent Minded Professor: "I tell ya there's something fishy going on out there!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQ4-xxL0I9c

MushroomCloudHog

Very good points you and I concur

gmarv

Problem with 18 wins means we would have a losing record in sec games.Would we get in with a conf. losing record ?

Dominicanhog

Quote from: gmarv on December 14, 2017, 04:52:17 pm
Problem with 18 wins means we would have a losing record in sec games.Would we get in with a conf. losing record ?

only if they took 7-8 teams..maybe

Youngsta71701

Quote from: gmarv on December 14, 2017, 04:52:17 pm
We won't have a losing record in conference. I just don't see it. We'll win 20 games easy then add to our resume from there.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

gmarv

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on December 16, 2017, 06:30:19 am
We won't have a losing record in conference. I just don't see it. We'll win 20 games easy then add to our resume from there.
Yeah i agree with you.we would really have to fail to not win at least 9 games in the conf. i,m of the mind 12 wins is our low.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on December 16, 2017, 06:30:19 am

I like our team but 9-7 could happen.. our last 12 SEC games could be 6-6... we'll see how it plays out, but the conference is muuuch better than recent history... 3 in the final 8 last year....plus, a few cheaters now have their programs up and running.. road wins are going to be precious, I'm afraid..

gmarv

Quote from: Dominicanhog on December 16, 2017, 08:08:16 am
I like our team but 9-7 could happen.. our last 12 SEC games could be 6-6... we'll see how it plays out, but the conference is muuuch better than recent history... 3 in the final 8 last year....plus, a few cheaters now have their programs up and running.. road wins are going to be precious, I'm afraid..
9-7 you are shorting us by a couple of games?

Dominicanhog

I called 12-6 but would be happy with 10-11 wins in conference... 9-7 gets us in... and an ncaa bid... that's what's important to me.. just keep it going.. maybe we are better than that but I don't want to be disappointed when they accomplished what I ask..

Fan701

Quote from: Dominicanhog on December 16, 2017, 08:08:16 am
9 and 7? What about the rest of the conference games?

davril98

Win 'em all at home and split the road games.  Win only one in the tourney gets you to 25-8.  I think.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Fan701 on December 16, 2017, 09:46:38 am
9 and 7? What about the rest of the conference games?

duh.. 10-8  had NFL on the mind....