Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What will we be ranked?

Started by mj4president, December 09, 2017, 08:52:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

YtownHog

Wow, I didn't expect it either, but we barely received votes.

jjdlc

Quote from: Wisco Pig on December 11, 2017, 11:47:56 am
The new polls have been posted.  Arkansas is 30th in the AP poll and 31st in the new coaches' poll.

http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2018/polls

Not surprising, that Houston loss, combined with Minnessota's loss to Nebraska torpedoed any chance we had of getting in this week.

010HogFan

How is Tennessee ranked? ridiculous.

Fan701

The coaches have Oklahoma ranked 24th, a team we beat on a neutral court.

Fan701

Quote from: 010HogFan on December 11, 2017, 12:04:35 pm
How is Tennessee ranked? ridiculous.
Tennessee gets North Carolina this weekend in Knoxville.  A win will put them 8-1 and solidly in the rankings.  All the better for us, if we can beat them in a few weeks to open SEC play.

HogFansReunited

Quote from: Fan701 on December 11, 2017, 12:34:51 pm
Tennessee gets North Carolina this weekend in Knoxville.  A win will put them 8-1 and solidly in the rankings.  All the better for us, if we can beat them in a few weeks to open SEC play.

Agree, I really hope Tennessee beats UNC in order to make our game with them look even better.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

Hogs49ers

Quote from: Fan701 on December 11, 2017, 12:31:36 pm

Yah it is annoying, but OU also does not have a loss to Houston, only losing to a solid Arkansas team on a neutral court by single digits, while beating USC and Oregon on a neutral court.  And they have us ahead of Houston even though we lost by 20+ to them and they only have 1 loss, so it goes both ways...

All of this will take care of itself once we keep winning, so not worried about rankings one bit at this point and I am kind of in the same boat as a lot of people on here that our team plays better unranked with a chip on their shoulder, so please keep us unranked and let us sneak up on fools!  I think most everyone on this board and our entire team know that we are a top 25 team in the country right now.  Exciting times, wooo!

Lol at the media for picking us to finish 7th in the SEC this year...I mean they seem to be off by 4-5 spots every single year under Mike Anderson, maybe they will learn at some point that we are for real now and actually win games on the road too.
SCREW Vandy!

TexArkHogFan

Arizona and Florida ranked with three losses.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

Fan701

Hard to get too upset that we're still not ranked.  All we had to do was take care of business @Houston, where we were favored, and we'd be ranked.  But we laid a pretty large egg there.  If we win out in the non-conference and then beat Tennesse, we'll definitely be ranked.

woodhog14

The reason we aren't ranked is because in BOTH of our losses we have been drilled. Lost by 19 and by 26 points.

It's not that hard to understand why we aren't ranked.

niels_boar

https://www.masseyratings.com/cb/compare.htm

More importantly in the latest Massey composite poll of computer polls  Arkansas is currently #18, which is second best in the SEC behind #12 A&M.  The Vols are right behind us at #19.  Tennessee has put up some impressive numbers against a good schedule.  Don't sleep on them because they weren't supposed to be strong.

UNC #3
Minny #31
OU #33
Houston #48
Fresno #65
UConn #101
Bucknell #115
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

HF#1

The AP doesn't know what they are doing.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

RazorBackStrapAssasin

Better go ahead and not overlook Troy this weekend, Destroy them in the Rock! IF we dont make that a statement , the wins against OK and Minn, dont matter , cant slip up and not show up this weekend.

WhenPigsFly

Quote from: HF#1 on December 11, 2017, 01:25:14 pm
The AP doesn't know what they are doing.

We are lower in the Coaches' poll.

TexArkHogFan

December 11, 2017, 03:40:57 pm #64 Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 05:45:43 pm by TexArkHogFan
nm
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

Fan701

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on December 11, 2017, 03:40:57 pm
For those saying our loss to Houston hurt us please explain how Florida is ranked with three losses with the last loss coming against Loyola Chicago.

florida

for t
Florida has wins against Gonzaga and Cincinnati, two highly regarded teams, and came very close to beating Duke.  Also they started the season highly regarded, so it takes more bad losses than they've had to change people's opinions a lot.  We, on the other hand, were rarely given a thought in preseason assessments, and though we have some good wins, we have a very questionable loss @Houston.  When your team is coming out of nowhere, not rated or discussed much in preseason, it's harder to get attention, and a blow-out loss to a team you were supposed to beat doesn't help.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Fan701 on December 11, 2017, 03:56:49 pm
Florida has wins against Gonzaga and Cincinnati, two highly regarded teams, and came very close to beating Duke.  Also they started the season highly regarded, so it takes more bad losses than they've had to change people's opinions a lot.  We, on the other hand, were rarely given a thought in preseason assessments, and though we have some good wins, we have a very questionable loss @Houston.  When your team is coming out of nowhere, not rated or discussed much in preseason, it's harder to get attention, and a blow-out loss to a team you were supposed to beat doesn't help.

Sounds harsh but it's fair. The UNC fiasco and the Houston fizzle did us in. We gotta bully our way back in by bashing the rest of our non conf and then bushwhacking Tenner, hopefully after Tenner knocks off UNC.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Danny J

Good...I hope we stay unranked along with 3 straight wins before Tenn. You can tell in the pressers that Barford and Macon have a chip. Win 3 straight...stay unranked...smoke Tennessee then beat MSU on the road will do more for us going forward than being ranked right now. Play with a chip...

Hollywood_HOGan45

I dont have a problem with being unranked but I do have an issue with the teams ahead of us. Unfortunately we have no room for error when it comes to the pollsters. It has been three years since we had any kind of presence in the top 25. Getting drilled by Houston didn't do us any favors. I don't think there are 25 teams better than us but it will take a very impressive run to get to the top 25 and stay there.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on December 11, 2017, 08:09:02 pm
I dont have a problem with being unranked but I do have an issue with the teams ahead of us. Unfortunately we have no room for error when it comes to the pollsters. It has been three years since we had any kind of presence in the top 25. Getting drilled by Houston didn't do us any favors. I don't think there are 25 teams better than us but it will take a very impressive run to get to the top 25 and stay there.

IF they justness win the rest of the non con cupcakes theyll get in, and then if they beat tennesse at home they'll really be in.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Wisco Pig on December 11, 2017, 11:47:56 am
The new polls have been posted.  Arkansas is 30th in the AP poll and 31st in the new coaches' poll.

http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2018/polls

that's a good spot, keeps the "chip on the shoulder" card in play... I remember in 94.. we used it all year, even as we rose in the polls, we claimed no respect... hopefully history repeats it's self..

popcornhog

Quote from: Fan701 on December 11, 2017, 12:31:36 pm

They do have a better record than us.

Small sample size, an argument could be made either way. Rankings are not based on one head to head game, anyway. Also, do you think that Houston should be ranked ahead of us because of the head to head win?

I wouldn't be shocked if both Arkansas and OU end up in the top 20 at year's end. If we are both battling for a 4 or 5 seed, for example, our head to head win will come into play if we have had similar seasons at year's end.

Truth be told — it's better to be unranked right now — maybe it'll drive the players emotionally.
WPS

jjdlc

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on December 11, 2017, 11:49:05 pm
IF they justness win the rest of the non con cupcakes theyll get in, and then if they beat tennesse at home they'll really be in.

Yes, we are close enough that just winning the rest of the non-con should get us in, since teams ahead of us will likely lose. I'm not worried about it.  Honestly, we are off to a very good start on our tournament resume, and the SEC isn't going to drag us down with "Bad Wins" this year.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: mj4president on December 09, 2017, 08:52:05 pm
I'll say 17th
We won't but we might get some votes. If we want to be ranked and stay ranked we have to be more consistent rather it's at home, on the road, or a neutral site.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

USChog