Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Garland

Started by outlawhogeywells, November 13, 2017, 08:26:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gmarv

Quote from: ADavisTheGOAT on November 28, 2017, 11:23:38 am
Isn't Khalil supposed to have a test next week?
Seems like the word on here was the first of december or so.

mhuff

Heard first week in December.

Hogberry Snortcake

Just bumping this up for when the results come back.  Soon, I hope. 

FineAsSwine

We really need this kid. His athleticism, speed with the ball in hand and the relentless attacking mode he plays with would be a big boost to the depth at the guard spot.
Hogs up! Covid down!

PORKULATOR

We need someone who scores on bigger guys often.

Woopigs
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

King Kong

We need another ball handler

BannerMountainMan

This team would be complete if Jalen Harris didn't have to sit out a year.
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

FineAsSwine

Quote from: King Kong on December 01, 2017, 03:55:56 pm
We need another ball handler

Yep. Garlands return would be big.
Hogs up! Covid down!

azhog10

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on December 01, 2017, 03:58:24 pm
This team would be complete if Jalen Harris didn't have to sit out a year.
After watching him in the red/white I disagree. I am not sure Harris will ever play much at the U of A. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see other guys come in and take his minutes. Especially if Garland is cleared.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: azhog10 on December 01, 2017, 04:00:28 pm
After watching him in the red/white I disagree. I am not sure Harris will ever play much at the U of A. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see other guys come in and take his minutes. Especially if Garland is cleared.

The Red/White game also made Bailey look 100X better than advertised and has a history of over hyping certain player's....from CJ as far back as Crawford.

I agree it sometimes does show potential but it's mainly street ball with very little defense.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

niels_boar

Quote from: azhog10 on December 01, 2017, 04:00:28 pm

You can't make an informed opinion on a player from one Red-White game. 
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

hawgdavis

Quote from: rwspear on November 14, 2017, 09:23:37 pm
so maybe stop speculating about the dudes health when you literally know nothing.

Don't be a jerk. The guy is posting what he thinks just like you and me and you have to be a smart ass. I don't get how some people can just be such miserable jerks.

azhog10

Quote from: niels_boar on December 01, 2017, 08:50:07 pm
Just saying I won't be surprised. Success in a red/white doesn't mean success in real games. But I didn't see much to say "oh yeah, he can help". 

Dominicanhog

Quote from: azhog10 on December 01, 2017, 11:31:16 pm
Just saying I won't be surprised. Success in a red/white doesn't mean success in real games. But I didn't see much to say "oh yeah, he can help".

What's being said about him at practice.. that would seem a better indicator of potential.... all reports I'd heard was that he was going to be pretty good... we'll know more next year... and I bet Mike is counting on him to play...

Youngsta71701

Quote from: niels_boar on December 01, 2017, 08:50:07 pm
But, but, but it's hogville.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

HogNiner12

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on December 01, 2017, 05:32:20 pm
The Red/White game also made Bailey look 100X better than advertised and has a history of over hyping certain player's....from CJ as far back as Crawford.

I agree it sometimes does show potential but it's mainly street ball with very little defense.
Bailey is a solid player for us. He does the dirty things that go unnoticed and will be very vital in conference play. Not overhyped at all!

acepoker

I get on hogville to see if Garland has been cleared to play just as much as to see if we have need on a coach. This team will be special if he plays this season!

East TN HAWG

We need Garland to play this year.  Not necessarily for depth, but for experience.  We need him to get enough experience to be the man next year.  Hopefully, Garland and Jones can lead us next year. 

dsims2k3

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

Razorod

Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Razorod on December 02, 2017, 05:20:02 pm
I was wondering if someone was going to mention this incident. Saw it on the ESPN scroll.

Yeah I saw that and I am glad that we did not take a chance with garlands health and have something like that happen.
Hogs up! Covid down!

RealHog

Quote from: FineAsSwine on December 03, 2017, 12:11:13 pm
Yeah I saw that and I am glad that we did not take a chance with garlands health and have something like that happen.

Yeah I doubt the UA legal Dept lets Garland step on a court. A Rainwater Holt and Sexton group would just see $$$ if something happened. I feel bad for the guy.

HawgsPolo

Quote from: JayHog on November 28, 2017, 01:07:53 am
Cook plays good defense down low. That needs the be taken into account by everyone discounting his worth. The guy was a top-5 JUCO player afterall, ranked right up there with Barford and Macon.

Cook will be starting by conference play. The people that think AB and DT are better than him simply don't know much
Go Cubs Go!!!!!

BannerMountainMan

Dustin Thomas is hands down way better than AC and AB. That's why he started all of last year. Cook only averaged about 5-7 minutes last year. One DT rubs the dust off he'll be one of the reason we make a run.
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

FineAsSwine

Quote from: RealHog on December 05, 2017, 11:24:37 am
Yeah I doubt the UA legal Dept lets Garland step on a court. A Rainwater Holt and Sexton group would just see $$$ if something happened. I feel bad for the guy.

If a Hank Gathers type of thing occurred with him, I would be forever traumatized. I want to see him come back, if he is medically cleared with no higher than normal risk factors associated. Then and only then do I think he should come back and I think that's the way the staff is playing it.
Hogs up! Covid down!

redneckfriend

Quote from: FineAsSwine on December 05, 2017, 12:12:39 pm
If a Hank Gathers type of thing occurred with him, I would be forever traumatized. I want to see him come back, if he is medically cleared with no higher than normal risk factors associated. Then and only then do I think he should come back and I think that's the way the staff is playing it.

If the problem is hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, and I certainly don't know but it usually is, I have a hard time seeing how he can ever play. Sudden death from arrhythmia is a risk, especially during intense physical activity where blood flow to the enlarged heart muscle is compromised.

The only hopeful thing is that they have been so coy about this and done so much evaluation. With HCM or its frequent concomitant IHSS (Idiopathic hypertrophic subaortic stenosis) I have always believed it is pretty much of a "We don't know what will happen but we won't take the risk knowing what might happen" kind of thing. The risk of sudden death is very low at less than 1% but increases with strenuous physical activity and no athletic department will knowingly take the risk. (I suppose the individual or family could sign some sort of waiver if they have been fully informed of the risk but I don't know and I don't know if the athletic department would agree).

Here they seem to be doing a lot of checking about something. Perhaps it is just the family wanting everything done before they throw in the towel. They may have not taken the word of the Arkansas medical department on the risk and asked for second or third opinions. Unless things have changed if it is HCM they can ask forever and the answer will be the same.

NWAHog479

Any update on Garland?

outlawhogeywells

Quote from: NWAHog479 on December 05, 2017, 02:49:48 pm
Any update on Garland?
just moving this to the top so anyone that might know can weigh in

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: rwspear on November 14, 2017, 09:23:37 pm
so maybe stop speculating about the dudes health when you literally know nothing.
This is a message board.  I think all of us know that most of us are just speculating.  If you don't like people idly speculating, I suggest you maybe find another place to hover on the internet.

Cause this is what we do here.  ;D

And if it really bothers you, you aren't going to be happy, because it will continue to happen.

Repeatedly.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on December 07, 2017, 03:26:33 pm
This is a message board.  I think all of us know that most of us are just speculating.  If you don't like people idly speculating, I suggest you maybe find another place to hover on the internet.

Cause this is what we do here.  ;D

And if it really bothers you, you aren't going to be happy, because it will continue to happen.

Repeatedly.
I know I'd be happy if he got a clean bill of health and could join the team immediately, but that's pure speculation on my part and we can't have that!

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: FineAsSwine on December 05, 2017, 12:12:39 pm
You and I both know it is best for him in the long run.  But what happens to a kid who has consumed his whole life into making himself this excellent ball player.  What happens to him psychologically when what in his mind makes him who he is, is taken from him not just in the short term, but for the whole rest of his life?  This is what saddens me. I know that all of the enlarged heart players that have gone down over the years have usually never had any signs of the problem until they die.  And it is good that we check for this stuff now.  What would be good is if the state made all senior high athletes go through a more thorough screening process early on in high school, beyond the basic physical they need to take now.  So a kid could know earlier that they are taking their lives into their own hands, and could keep a kid like Garland from investing so much time and working so hard on skills he will never get to use at a higher level.  This is such a dream killer for kids that run into this problem.

hawgball40

Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on December 07, 2017, 03:35:59 pm
You and I both know it is best for him in the long run.  But what happens to a kid who has consumed his whole life into making himself this excellent ball player.  What happens to him psychologically when what in his mind makes him who he is, is taken from him not just in the short term, but for the whole rest of his life?  This is what saddens me. I know that all of the enlarged heart players that have gone down over the years have usually never had any signs of the problem until they die.  And it is good that we check for this stuff now.  What would be good is if the state made all senior high athletes go through a more thorough screening process early on in high school, beyond the basic physical they need to take now.  So a kid could know earlier that they are taking their lives into their own hands, and could keep a kid like Garland from investing so much time and working so hard on skills he will never get to use at a higher level.  This is such a dream killer for kids that run into this problem.
I agree

widespreadsooie

Quote from: NWAHog479 on December 05, 2017, 02:49:48 pm
Any update on Garland?

I have a decent in with his situation and haven't gotten an update in a few weeks. Last I heard it wasn't looking like he's playing this season.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: widespreadsooie on December 07, 2017, 04:05:02 pm
I have a decent in with his situation and haven't gotten an update in a few weeks. Last I heard it wasn't looking like he's playing this season.

Ok but is there hope, somewhere down the line?
Hogs up! Covid down!

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: widespreadsooie on December 07, 2017, 04:05:02 pm
Yea, this season was already looking lost. It's nearly Christmas. He would be way behind on conditioning, playing experience, everything.

I'm maintaining hope he can be cleared to play eventually.

Tough break. Apparently he had never had a complete physical and this was never caught. Tough break for the Hogs, too. Regardless of Bill Walton's hyperbole 'he looked like Scottie Pippen running around out there', Garland may have been the best of the freshmen, I think. Just a smooth, overall-skilled player.

widespreadsooie

Quote from: FineAsSwine on December 07, 2017, 04:16:50 pm
Ok but is there hope, somewhere down the line?

I wouldn't say there's overwhelming optimism but a lot can change over the course of a year.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on December 08, 2017, 10:51:20 am
Yea, this season was already looking lost. It's nearly Christmas. He would be way behind on conditioning, playing experience, everything.

I'm maintaining hope he can be cleared to play eventually.

Tough break. Apparently he had never had a complete physical and this was never caught. Tough break for the Hogs, too. Regardless of Bill Walton's hyperbole 'he looked like Scottie Pippen running around out there', Garland may have been the best of the freshmen, I think. Just a smooth, overall-skilled player.

His health is most important but your right about the team loss.. more for next year, he'd be a returning guard with experience..

HognitiveDissonance

This situation is a little confusing. I'm not a doctor, though.
This is what I can piece together:

We know Garland does some drills and is somewhat 'active'.
But he's not cleared to play full-tilt.
Bill Walton watched him run around enough to comment on him, so obviously Garland does some things on the court. He just can't play.

So, the question is, if Garland has a heart problem, then how is he allowed to do anything?

The only thing I can deduce is that it may be similar to a guy who has had heart surgery. His physician will tell him it's ok to exercise, that he NEEDS to exercise, actually...but it may not be a good idea to run a marathon.

Likewise, in Garland's case, from what they know about him, they may be ok with getting some exercise, and everyone NEEDS to exercise, but it may not be a good idea to play full-speed college basketball. So therefore, they clear him to do some basic things on the court, some non-taxing aerobic exercise, but are worried about letting him go full bore and putting maximum load on the heart.

widespreadsooie

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on December 08, 2017, 11:13:20 am

Bill Walton watched him run around enough to comment on him, so obviously Garland does some things on the court. He just can't play.

So, the question is, if Garland has a heart problem, then how is he allowed to do anything?

The only thing I can deduce is that it may be similar to a guy who has had heart surgery. His physician will tell him it's ok to exercise, that he NEEDS to exercise, actually...but it may not be a good idea to run a marathon.

Likewise, in Garland's case, from what they know about him, they may be ok with getting some exercise, and everyone NEEDS to exercise, but it may not be a good idea to play full-speed college basketball. So therefore, they clear him to do some basic things on the court, some non-taxing aerobic exercise, but are worried about letting him go full bore and putting maximum load on the heart.

I would say that's a pretty good summation of what he's dealing with. I agree the situation is somewhat confusing and that makes a lot of sense.

USChog

Another issue with playing in game versus running drills in adrenaline and stress. Running drills amd exercising is manageable and controlled. In game situations can get incredibly stressful and get the adrenalibe pumping which can send the heart into overdrive. I hope the dude gets cleared to play, but I am glad they are being cautious with him.

GuvHog

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on November 26, 2017, 07:48:00 pm
arrhythmia is that AFIB?

No. AFIB is Atrial Fibrillation.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hogcam

December 08, 2017, 03:48:52 pm #91 Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 04:00:58 pm by hogcam
Quote from: GuvHog on December 08, 2017, 03:25:56 pm
No. AFIB is Atrial Fibrillation.
Yes, AFIB is an arrhythmia. But there are different types of arrhythmias and I seriously doubt he has AFIB.

CallMeAl

Quote from: hogcam on December 08, 2017, 03:48:52 pm
Yes, AFIB is an arrhythmia.

No AFIB is not telling the truth.
Hog since birth.

HawgnCorona

Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

redneckfriend

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on December 08, 2017, 11:13:20 am

No, I don't think so (and I am a doctor). Yes they might tell him to go ahead and exercise at a low level of activity but it seems very illogical to tell him he can practice if they are quite sure he can't ever play-that would be cruel. As I posted earlier-in the past the diagnosis of HCM (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy- the most common reason for sudden on court death and for not clearing patients for heart reasons), because of the risk of sudden death and the unpredictability, was essentially sufficient reason to prohibit vigorous physical exercise. While there are many different treatments for various subgroups of HCM there is no treatment I am aware of that will allow the athlete to be cleared for competitive activity.

So the fact they are allowing him to practice suggests that perhaps this is a different problem (i.e. NOT what killed Hank Gathers-Gathers had HCM and exercise induced V-tach, he was supposed to take a medicine for the V-tach but it can interfere with maximum physical effort and he didn't take it-it might not have helped anyway) . Garland could (and this is just a for instance) have runs of those "arrhythmias" someone referred to. The most likely type would be runs of ventricular tachycardia (the same rhythm that killed Gathers but without the HCM) although other arrhythmias are also possible (and arrhythmia just means not the normal kind of electrical pattern that organizes the heart beat).

Ventricular tachycardia can be a serious and life threatening arrhythmia but usually only in those with some other type of heart disease. In otherwise asymptomatic and healthy people it is usually benign. But even if they haven't identified some structural heart disease they might be nervous about clearing him without more information. Again this is a "for instance", another cardiac issue that might explain what is being reported about how he is being handled. In that case they could do a few things: 1) treat the arrhythmia and observe the effect-(use a similar type of medicine as was prescribed Gathers); 2) do an extensive cardiac workup- including possibly a heart biopsy to determine if this is really HCM that isn't showing up on echocardiography; 3) put a monitor on during practice and determine if the arrhythmias increase with exercise. Or all of those things.

Another common and possible reason for how he is being treated by the staff is Mitral valve prolapse with arrhythmia (I won't belabor that problem). All-in-all it seems strange that this is going on so long if it is HCM so that may be good news for him (and for the team) in the long run.

Razorod

A much appreciated post. As fans, we can hope for the best--primarily for Garland and secondarily for the team. His enthusiasm on the sidelines and his tweets is obvious. He really wants to play and be a Hog.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Hogs49ers

Quote from: redneckfriend on December 08, 2017, 05:25:42 pm
No, I don't think so (and I am a doctor). Yes they might tell him to go ahead and exercise at a low level of activity but it seems very illogical to tell him he can practice if they are quite sure he can't ever play-that would be cruel. As I posted earlier-in the past the diagnosis of HCM (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy- the most common reason for sudden on court death and for not clearing patients for heart reasons), because of the risk of sudden death and the unpredictability, was essentially sufficient reason to prohibit vigorous physical exercise. While there are many different treatments for various subgroups of HCM there is no treatment I am aware of that will allow the athlete to be cleared for competitive activity.

So the fact they are allowing him to practice suggests that perhaps this is a different problem (i.e. NOT what killed Hank Gathers-Gathers had HCM and exercise induced V-tach, he was supposed to take a medicine for the V-tach but it can interfere with maximum physical effort and he didn't take it-it might not have helped anyway) . Garland could (and this is just a for instance) have runs of those "arrhythmias" someone referred to. The most likely type would be runs of ventricular tachycardia (the same rhythm that killed Gathers but without the HCM) although other arrhythmias are also possible (and arrhythmia just means not the normal kind of electrical pattern that organizes the heart beat).

Ventricular tachycardia can be a serious and life threatening arrhythmia but usually only in those with some other type of heart disease. In otherwise asymptomatic and healthy people it is usually benign. But even if they haven't identified some structural heart disease they might be nervous about clearing him without more information. Again this is a "for instance", another cardiac issue that might explain what is being reported about how he is being handled. In that case they could do a few things: 1) treat the arrhythmia and observe the effect-(use a similar type of medicine as was prescribed Gathers); 2) do an extensive cardiac workup- including possibly a heart biopsy to determine if this is really HCM that isn't showing up on echocardiography; 3) put a monitor on during practice and determine if the arrhythmias increase with exercise. Or all of those things.

Another common and possible reason for how he is being treated by the staff is Mitral valve prolapse with arrhythmia (I won't belabor that problem). All-in-all it seems strange that this is going on so long if it is HCM so that may be good news for him (and for the team) in the long run.

I am not a doctor and I do not know about a lot of what you said, but I do consider myself a fairly intelligent person and this definitely seems the most logical based on the information we have, and I agree that the news of him being able to practice bodes well for him getting cleared at some point. Thanks for the information and your insight +1
SCREW Vandy!

Dominicanhog

Quote from: redneckfriend on December 08, 2017, 05:25:42 pm

what about vascular disorders such as clotting?

redneckfriend

Quote from: Dominicanhog on December 08, 2017, 07:23:02 pm
what about vascular disorders such as clotting?

Clotting disorders would be unlikely but there are genetic abnormalities of the coronary arteries that can result in arrhythmic death. They would be discovered by cardiac catheterization or by MRA (magnetic resonance arteriography). I would expect those kinds of problems to have been identified quickly and some treatment recommendation made and they are rare.

It looks like they are doing a kind of watchful waiting suggesting they are concerned about how exercise impacts his cardiac rhythm and since they are letting him work with the team they do not seem to be anxious at the level one would expect if he had HCM or other structural disorders. In those situations they would tend to just shut him down- the liability risk would be too great. Even if this more optimistic take is correct they will err on the side of caution and I would guess they will need not only strong proof they are not risking his life but the concurrence of all of the parties.

Birminghog

Quote from: redneckfriend on December 08, 2017, 07:54:57 pm
Clotting disorders would be unlikely but there are genetic abnormalities of the coronary arteries that can result in arrhythmic death. They would be discovered by cardiac catheterization or by MRA (magnetic resonance arteriography). I would expect those kinds of problems to have been identified quickly and some treatment recommendation made and they are rare.

It looks like they are doing a kind of watchful waiting suggesting they are concerned about how exercise impacts his cardiac rhythm and since they are letting him work with the team they do not seem to be anxious at the level one would expect if he had HCM or other structural disorders. In those situations they would tend to just shut him down- the liability risk would be too great. Even if this more optimistic take is correct they will err on the side of caution and I would guess they will need not only strong proof they are not risking his life but the concurrence of all of the parties.

Methinks that you, my learned friend, have the wrong moniker. Mongo impressed. Many thanks for your insight.