Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Garland

Started by outlawhogeywells, November 13, 2017, 08:26:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PonderinHog

Quote from: Birminghog on December 08, 2017, 09:26:00 pm
Methinks that you, my learned friend, have the wrong moniker. Mongo impressed. Many thanks for your insight.
Yeah, but can he dunk ???

Razorback2010

Quote from: redneckfriend on December 08, 2017, 05:25:42 pm
No, I don't think so (and I am a doctor). Yes they might tell him to go ahead and exercise at a low level of activity but it seems very illogical to tell him he can practice if they are quite sure he can't ever play-that would be cruel. As I posted earlier-in the past the diagnosis of HCM (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy- the most common reason for sudden on court death and for not clearing patients for heart reasons), because of the risk of sudden death and the unpredictability, was essentially sufficient reason to prohibit vigorous physical exercise. While there are many different treatments for various subgroups of HCM there is no treatment I am aware of that will allow the athlete to be cleared for competitive activity.

So the fact they are allowing him to practice suggests that perhaps this is a different problem (i.e. NOT what killed Hank Gathers-Gathers had HCM and exercise induced V-tach, he was supposed to take a medicine for the V-tach but it can interfere with maximum physical effort and he didn't take it-it might not have helped anyway) . Garland could (and this is just a for instance) have runs of those "arrhythmias" someone referred to. The most likely type would be runs of ventricular tachycardia (the same rhythm that killed Gathers but without the HCM) although other arrhythmias are also possible (and arrhythmia just means not the normal kind of electrical pattern that organizes the heart beat).

Ventricular tachycardia can be a serious and life threatening arrhythmia but usually only in those with some other type of heart disease. In otherwise asymptomatic and healthy people it is usually benign. But even if they haven't identified some structural heart disease they might be nervous about clearing him without more information. Again this is a "for instance", another cardiac issue that might explain what is being reported about how he is being handled. In that case they could do a few things: 1) treat the arrhythmia and observe the effect-(use a similar type of medicine as was prescribed Gathers); 2) do an extensive cardiac workup- including possibly a heart biopsy to determine if this is really HCM that isn't showing up on echocardiography; 3) put a monitor on during practice and determine if the arrhythmias increase with exercise. Or all of those things.

Another common and possible reason for how he is being treated by the staff is Mitral valve prolapse with arrhythmia (I won't belabor that problem). All-in-all it seems strange that this is going on so long if it is HCM so that may be good news for him (and for the team) in the long run.

This has been my bet for a while.  Initially with them saying they would reasses, I decided it probably wasnt HCM.  I wondered if it was EBV, but I feel like it should have run it's course now and there should no longer be any danger of splenomegaly.  Arrhythmia makes the most sense, treat with antiarrhythmic meds and reasses progress.

HognitiveDissonance

I think this has come up before, so apologies if it has: but how does Garland's situation compare to Joe Adams's situation?
Is it possible that it will eventually be deemed the same situation, or has that already been ruled out?

hawgball40

Khalil posted on twitter this morning "I'm so ready to hoop bro". Maybe there is truth that he could still be cleared.

Razorod

Quote from: hawgball40 on December 09, 2017, 01:01:23 pm
Khalil posted on twitter this morning "I'm so ready to hoop bro". Maybe there is truth that he could still be cleared.
Would seem that way.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

PonderinHog

I'm not getting my hopes up.  (I'm lying.)

azhog10

Saw that. Doesn't sound like someone who knows they will never be allowed to play again.

c-townfan

Quote from: redneckfriend on December 08, 2017, 05:25:42 pm
No, I don't think so (and I am a doctor). Yes they might tell him to go ahead and exercise at a low level of activity but it seems very illogical to tell him he can practice if they are quite sure he can't ever play-that would be cruel. As I posted earlier-in the past the diagnosis of HCM (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy- the most common reason for sudden on court death and for not clearing patients for heart reasons), because of the risk of sudden death and the unpredictability, was essentially sufficient reason to prohibit vigorous physical exercise. While there are many different treatments for various subgroups of HCM there is no treatment I am aware of that will allow the athlete to be cleared for competitive activity.

So the fact they are allowing him to practice suggests that perhaps this is a different problem (i.e. NOT what killed Hank Gathers-Gathers had HCM and exercise induced V-tach, he was supposed to take a medicine for the V-tach but it can interfere with maximum physical effort and he didn't take it-it might not have helped anyway) . Garland could (and this is just a for instance) have runs of those "arrhythmias" someone referred to. The most likely type would be runs of ventricular tachycardia (the same rhythm that killed Gathers but without the HCM) although other arrhythmias are also possible (and arrhythmia just means not the normal kind of electrical pattern that organizes the heart beat).

Ventricular tachycardia can be a serious and life threatening arrhythmia but usually only in those with some other type of heart disease. In otherwise asymptomatic and healthy people it is usually benign. But even if they haven't identified some structural heart disease they might be nervous about clearing him without more information. Again this is a "for instance", another cardiac issue that might explain what is being reported about how he is being handled. In that case they could do a few things: 1) treat the arrhythmia and observe the effect-(use a similar type of medicine as was prescribed Gathers); 2) do an extensive cardiac workup- including possibly a heart biopsy to determine if this is really HCM that isn't showing up on echocardiography; 3) put a monitor on during practice and determine if the arrhythmias increase with exercise. Or all of those things.

Another common and possible reason for how he is being treated by the staff is Mitral valve prolapse with arrhythmia (I won't belabor that problem). All-in-all it seems strange that this is going on so long if it is HCM so that may be good news for him (and for the team) in the long run.

You must have stayed at a Holiday Inn last night  :P

hview

I so hope this young man gets medically cleared to play. If so, Mike may find that he has to find a way to get this young man minutes. Just thinking about the possibility of Garland, Hall, Bailey, CJ and Gafford all on the floor at the same time sounds crazy.

HawgnCorona

Good find...Be optimistic.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

AlmaHog2011

Thanks for the info redneckfriend..I love your handle..
I have AFIB and no way he could play with that. When my heart is out of rythum it's a bad day for me. I had ablation surgery and now take meds. I just started back working out about a month back. I hope the kid can play but I hope he doesn't have take any chances. Life is more than a game.
Good info on this thread it's what Hogville is suppose to be.

widespreadsooie

Apparently Garland is being re-evaluated today. It's more of a progress check up from my understanding.

Hogs49ers

Quote from: widespreadsooie on December 11, 2017, 12:11:36 pm
Apparently Garland is being re-evaluated today. It's more of a progress check up from my understanding.

Great to hear, hopefully today is the day he gets cleared and get to see him out there in LR this weekend!
SCREW Vandy!

The_Iceman

Garland posted the praying emoji today. Must be expecting some news. Hopefully it is positive.

HawgsPolo

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 11, 2017, 01:49:42 pm
Garland posted the praying emoji today. Must be expecting some news. Hopefully it is positive.

Almost there barring any setbacks
Go Cubs Go!!!!!

wavybone

Quote from: HawgsPolo on December 11, 2017, 03:39:22 pm

Would be freaking awesome if he gets cleared.

Razorod

Good to hear. Do you know specifically what is wrong with his heart? Sounds like it is treatable.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

The_Iceman

Is this just wishful thinking or do you know something?

Hogs49ers

Garland tweeted this a few hours ago:  "be patient, God isn't finished with me yet"

Not entirely sure what that means, but it makes me think maybe he did not get great news from the doctor.  Thoughts?
SCREW Vandy!

Arazorbackguy1

Quote from: Birminghog on December 08, 2017, 09:26:00 pm
Methinks that you, my learned friend, have the wrong moniker. Mongo impressed. Many thanks for your insight.

He slept at a Holiday Inn last night.
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

widespreadsooie

Quote from: Hogs49ers on December 11, 2017, 09:25:38 pm
Garland tweeted this a few hours ago:  "be patient, God isn't finished with me yet"

Not entirely sure what that means, but it makes me think maybe he did not get great news from the doctor.  Thoughts?

Whether or not it's great news for him being back on the court it's positive nonetheless.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: widespreadsooie on December 11, 2017, 09:30:23 pm
Whether or not it's great news for him being back on the court it's positive nonetheless.

Yep...
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

Hogs49ers

Quote from: widespreadsooie on December 11, 2017, 09:30:23 pm

Good point.
SCREW Vandy!

blu

December 12, 2017, 01:41:01 pm #123 Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 07:52:20 am by blu
Amen - sounds like the kid is gonna be all right in the long run regardless of how this turns out. Good to here.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

1hawgballer2

Quote from: Hogs49ers on December 11, 2017, 09:25:38 pm

Reply: it is a post of his Faith, The God of second chances has left that door open....

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: ricolacey on December 12, 2017, 03:59:06 pm
Reply: it is a post of his Faith, The God of second chances has left that door open....

I am concerned at this point he won't ever get to play again. He shouldn't play if there is an issue basketball just wasn't in the plans. He can still coach or do whatever. Pretty sure Mike and Arkansas will honor his scholarship.

dawn2tusk

Ready to find out for sure one way or the other.  I'm sure Garland is as well.

Hogs49ers

SCREW Vandy!

razorpimp

Did he just tweet out Dec 15???? Does that mean another test or ready to go?

dawn2tusk

Quote from: razorpimp on December 13, 2017, 03:58:49 pm
Did he just tweet out Dec 15???? Does that mean another test or ready to go?

12/15 is his birthday

1hawgballer2

Quote from: rwspear on November 14, 2017, 04:10:22 am
keep in mind this dude is an internet poster speculating on the health of a stranger based on internet posts.

resident hogville docs should stay off of webmd

Comments: Really! Com'on Dr. Feelbad, this young man health issues are supposed to be confidential whether you know his diagnosis or not you should really shut-it-down

BudweiserHog

Mike says he's redshirting

The_Iceman

Quote from: BudweiserHog on December 14, 2017, 03:23:57 pm
Mike says he's redshirting

At this point, that makes sense. There is no way he could get in shape to play this year. Best just to bring him back next year, if possible.

BannerMountainMan

Mike Anderson did just state: we will be redshirting Khalil Garland
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

Pinto

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on December 14, 2017, 03:32:18 pm
Mike Anderson did just state: we will be redshirting Khalil Garland

I tried to tell y'all this before the season started...

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: Pinto on December 14, 2017, 03:36:49 pm

I'm sure everyone was internet fighting you tooth and nail.

Wisco Pig

Anderson's statement that Garland will redshirt is here:

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/dec/14/mike-anderson-players-press-conference-notes/

(Sorry if there's a paywall.)

Later in the press conference notes, Anderson's quoted as saying he's "very optimistic" that Garland will be able to play next year.

Pinto

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on December 14, 2017, 03:57:54 pm
I'm sure everyone was internet fighting you tooth and nail.

They were ready to ban me from this site lol

King Kong

Assuming Khalil is able to return unrestricted. Which is a big if, a 5th year SR Garland could be a blessing in disguise down the road

azhog10

Quote from: Wisco Pig on December 14, 2017, 04:16:13 pm
Anderson's statement that Garland will redshirt is here:

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/dec/14/mike-anderson-players-press-conference-notes/

(Sorry if there's a paywall.)

Later in the press conference notes, Anderson's quoted as saying he's "very optimistic" that Garland will be able to play next year.
He was optimistic about him getting cleared this year too. Sadly no one really knows.

Pinto

Quote from: King Kong on December 14, 2017, 04:32:43 pm
Assuming Khalil is able to return unrestricted. Which is a big if, a 5th year SR Garland could be a blessing in disguise down the road

Very big blessing.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: Pinto on December 14, 2017, 03:36:49 pm

Clearly the best thing to give time to make sure the kid is alright to play or not.

hawginbigd1

Hope he makes it next year. My personal feeling is he will be missed this season dearly.

Hogs49ers

Quote from: azhog10 on December 14, 2017, 04:46:51 pm
He was optimistic about him getting cleared this year too. Sadly no one really knows.

But the fact that after all this and a few more check ups, Mike says "oh ya, yes, I am very optimistic" that he will suit up next year.  Based on some our Hogville resident doctors saying that he will never be able to play again, I would say this is a really positive day with hearing CMA say that.  It makes me think that Garland does not have one of the more serious conditions that our doctors have mentioned that would keep a player from being able to play again, and it sounds like everything they have done to this point has been more about being precautious than anything.

If you cannot see what Mike said today in his press conference as a very positive sign going forward, my mind is boggled...
SCREW Vandy!

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on December 14, 2017, 05:18:40 pm
Hope he makes it next year. My personal feeling is he will be missed this season dearly.
Well, I thought he was the best of the freshmen.
On the other hand, with all the senior guards this year, it's hard for me to say he will be missed that much.
And we've never seen him play a minute of college basketball.

If he can just play hoops again next year, all should be ecstatic. They will need him more next year than this year.

Hawg Red

I kinda feel like we don't know any more than we did before this announcement. Nothing definite stated in terms of his long term prognosis. Just wishful thinking. I hope we don't hear that his career is over at some point before next season.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on December 14, 2017, 05:50:23 pm
Well, I thought he was the best of the freshmen.
On the other hand, with all the senior guards this year, it's hard for me to say he will be missed that much.
And we've never seen him play a minute of college basketball.

If he can just play hoops again next year, all should be ecstatic. They will need him more next year than this year.
I hear ya, I just think the current team is another guard shy of being absolutely rock solid, top 10 team.

WorfHog

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on December 14, 2017, 06:40:07 pm
I hear ya, I just think the current team is another guard shy of being absolutely rock solid, top 10 team.

We're good on guards this year another big man would be nice.

The_Iceman

Quote from: WorfHog on December 14, 2017, 08:58:19 pm
We're good on guards this year another big man would be nice.

No, we aren't. We have 4 guards, and Hall that can only play the 3 spot.

mhuff

Quote from: Hogs49ers on December 14, 2017, 05:23:24 pm
But the fact that after all this and a few more check ups, Mike says "oh ya, yes, I am very optimistic" that he will suit up next year.  Based on some our Hogville resident doctors saying that he will never be able to play again, I would say this is a really positive day with hearing CMA say that.  It makes me think that Garland does not have one of the more serious conditions that our doctors have mentioned that would keep a player from being able to play again, and it sounds like everything they have done to this point has been more about being precautious than anything.

If you cannot see what Mike said today in his press conference as a very positive sign going forward, my mind is boggled...

Our hogville doctor has not examined this young man; he merely gave some senarios and info we were not getting elsewhere. He simply gave some " If's " about different  conditions and his opinion. Stop putting words in his mouth when you know he does not know Garland's condition. The man could lose his license for that. Get real.