No.

https://twitter.com/khalilgarland3/status/930248932390834176

the day that i get cleared y'all gone feel me boy. i swear it's up

Hogs49ers

Quote from: TebowHater on November 13, 2017, 08:28:08 pm
No.

https://twitter.com/khalilgarland3/status/930248932390834176

the day that i get cleared y'all gone feel me boy. i swear it's up

Well it is positive that at least he seems confident that he will be cleared...
SCREW Vandy!

Razorod

Let's hope he's cleared and gets on the court soon!
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

TebowHater

Quote from: Hogs49ers on November 13, 2017, 08:30:19 pm
Well it is positive that at least he seems confident that he will be cleared...

Agree! But sometimes patients can be overly optimistic and/or never really told the true odds of their diagnosis until it is actually confirmed to be bad. Given his demographic and the characterization of his illness (and the fact that we screen all our athletes for this with an ECHO), he likely has hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. This is what causes sudden cardiac death in totally healthy football players just out of nowhere during fall camp. You can look up the prognosis and evaluate for yourself, but I am not sure what additional testing will ever really allow us to feel comfortable clearing him. Generally the treatment to avoid the risk of sudden cardiac death is to avoid competitive sports, which is terribly sad.

But we will keep hoping!

Hogs49ers

Quote from: TebowHater on November 13, 2017, 08:41:22 pm
Agree! But sometimes patients can be overly optimistic and/or never really told the true odds of their diagnosis until it is actually confirmed to be bad. Given his demographic and the characterization of his illness (and the fact that we screen all our athletes for this with an ECHO), he likely has hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. This is what causes sudden cardiac death in totally healthy football players just out of nowhere during fall camp. You can look up the prognosis and evaluate for yourself, but I am not sure what additional testing will ever really allow us to feel comfortable clearing him. Generally the treatment to avoid the risk of sudden cardiac death is to avoid competitive sports, which is terribly sad.

But we will keep hoping!

Dang thanks for the info, and that will be tremendously sad if that is the case.  I am going to continue to be hopeful and think that his tweet means that he knows he will be cleared soon :)
SCREW Vandy!

TebowHater

Quote from: Hogs49ers on November 13, 2017, 08:49:35 pm
Dang thanks for the info, and that will be tremendously sad if that is the case.  I am going to continue to be hopeful and think that his tweet means that he knows he will be cleared soon :)

Me too! The fact that there is a work-up (at least apparently) being done and the optimism from both he and CMA is certainly encouraging that it is something else besides HCM, which hopefully it is! There are just a limited number of things that affect totally healthy 18 year olds, even fewer of which the person is asymptomatic from / has no idea they have it until medical clearance. Common things being common, HCM is the most likely, but again, their response would be atypical for it - so let's hope it indeed is something else atypical and recoverable.

jchill

But we will keep hoping!

Joe Adams had a stroke and ended up finishing his career on a very strong note. I am very hopeful for Khalil.

Razorback2010

Quote from: TebowHater on November 13, 2017, 09:02:44 pm
Me too! The fact that there is a work-up (at least apparently) being done and the optimism from both he and CMA is certainly encouraging that it is something else besides HCM, which hopefully it is! There are just a limited number of things that affect totally healthy 18 year olds, even fewer of which the person is asymptomatic from / has no idea they have it until medical clearance. Common things being common, HCM is the most likely, but again, their response would be atypical for it - so let's hope it indeed is something else atypical and recoverable.

It's been my understanding with HCM part of the treatment is no physical activity, ever.  So, like you said, this is an atypical way to treat HCM. The way they talk, I wonder if he has some sort of arrhythmia, and they are attempting to treat it with medication. Or simply mono.

rwspear

Quote from: Hogs49ers on November 13, 2017, 08:49:35 pm

keep in mind this dude is an internet poster speculating on the health of a stranger based on internet posts.

resident hogville docs should stay off of webmd

rwspear

But we will keep hoping!

you likely have no idea what youre talking about

Tiny Rick

If it was hypertrophic cardiomyopathy I would doubt he would be awaiting another stress test for clearance.  Once my HC was noticed I was on my way to the Mayo Clinic within 60 days for a septal myectomy.  IMO,  it sounds like Garland has some sort of minor heart arrhythmia. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: Tiny Rick on November 14, 2017, 09:45:25 am
If it was hypertrophic cardiomyopathy I would doubt he would be awaiting another stress test for clearance.  Once my HC was noticed I was on my way to the Mayo Clinic within 60 days for a septal myectomy.  IMO,  it sounds like Garland has some sort of minor heart arrhythmia.

They've sent him to the Mayo Clinic already, FWIW.

cypress rock

Hawg, what are your thoughts on him being cleared?

poloprince

Don't listen to the naysayers fwiw!!!
$PoLoPrInCe$

HawgsPolo

Quote from: Razorod on November 13, 2017, 08:33:34 pm
Let's hope he's cleared and gets on the court soon!

Oh it's coming and all the people that don't believe eventually will.
Go Cubs Go!!!!!

forrest city joe

I am pulling for this young man to be able to play.but if he never plays here so be it. i care about the young man's life.that is a lot more important than basketball.this young man has his entire life in front of him. and whatever happens iwish him well.

HogFansReunited

I am doubtful that we will ever see the young man play but I really hope that I am wrong.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

AugustaHog

I hope he gets the clearance that he so badly wants.  He's a talented guy and could really be a great player for us this year and in the future.  First and foremost, I hope the doctors get it right and make sure he's good to go for the rest of his life.

Razorod

Quote from: AugustaHog on November 14, 2017, 01:24:05 pm
I hope he gets the clearance that he so badly wants.  He's a talented guy and could really be a great player for us this year and in the future.  First and foremost, I hope the doctors get it right and make sure he's good to go for the rest of his life.
Ultimately, this is what we need to be hoping for.

TebowHater

Quote from: Razorback2010 on November 13, 2017, 11:37:38 pm
It's been my understanding with HCM part of the treatment is no physical activity, ever.  So, like you said, this is an atypical way to treat HCM. The way they talk, I wonder if he has some sort of arrhythmia, and they are attempting to treat it with medication. Or simply mono.

Quote from: Tiny Rick on November 14, 2017, 09:45:25 am

Totally agree with both of you. Only way it would be HCM is if the ECHO was somehow indeterminate and they were seeking further imaging/testing to better characterize it.

I like the idea of an arrhythmia, however, there really aren't very many of those that affect teens, most are easily treatable, and none of them require this long of a workup. Again, however, as you note, the fact he is being worked up at all does point to something besides HCM.

Hoping to see him out there very soon!

The_Iceman

Quote from: TebowHater on November 14, 2017, 01:27:57 pm
Totally agree with both of you. Only way it would be HCM is if the ECHO was somehow indeterminate and they were seeking further imaging/testing to better characterize it.

I like the idea of an arrhythmia, however, there really aren't very many of those that affect teens, most are easily treatable, and none of them require this long of a workup. Again, however, as you note, the fact he is being worked up at all does point to something besides HCM.

I spoke to a doctor this weekend and he had the same opinion. The fact he isn't for sure ruled out already eliminates the more serious conditions.

draftkings33

Very sad for the kid.  Hope he can get healthy.  He was and hopefully still is going to be a huge piece for the hogs success this year and down the road.  He's a kid who can play the 1, 2, and 3.  Very versatile. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: cypress rock on November 14, 2017, 10:14:00 am
Hawg, what are your thoughts on him being cleared?

Just going off what most people who are hearing things are saying. Doesn't sound good. There are a couple of posters saying he'll be cleared. I guess it all comes down to the results of this testing in early December.

rwspear

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 14, 2017, 02:48:32 pm
Just going off what most people who are hearing things are saying. Doesn't sound good. There are a couple of posters saying he'll be cleared. I guess it all comes down to the results of this testing in early December.

so maybe stop speculating about the dudes health when you literally know nothing.

Hawg Red

Quote from: rwspear on November 14, 2017, 09:23:37 pm
so maybe stop speculating about the dudes health when you literally know nothing.

I'm not speculating. I don't know what will happen nor have I given my opinion on what will happen. I said what people are saying doesn't sound good, which is true. Put your sword away.

SpineHog

Quote from: TebowHater on November 14, 2017, 01:27:57 pm

Great thoughts. HCM was my biggest fear when the cardiac spectre was raised, but it seems like it wouldn't take this long to get another ECHO & second opinion. If it's an arrhythmia, my money would be on Wolf-Parkinson White. Could be an asymptomatic case, but they can't very well put him on the court with a heart rate of 200.

Regardless, I trust he's getting excellent care & there's good reason for the extensive precautions being taken.

Hawg Red

Quote from: SpineHog on November 14, 2017, 11:06:35 pm
Great thoughts. HCM was my biggest fear when the cardiac spectre was raised, but it seems like it wouldn't take this long to get another ECHO & second opinion. If it's an arrhythmia, my money would be on Wolf-Parkinson White. Could be an asymptomatic case, but they can't very well put him on the court with a heart rate of 200.

Regardless, I trust he's getting excellent care & there's good reason for the extensive precautions being taken.

Wolf-Parkinson-White syndrome ended British MMA fighter Dan Hardy's career, though it sounds like he could have taken steps to possibly keep competing and chose not to.

QuoteIn 2013, Hardy was diagnosed with Wolff–Parkinson–White syndrome. A treatment for Wolff–Parkinson–White syndrome is ablation, cauterising of heart tissue to fix the electrical pathway issue, however Hardy has refused to have this treatment on the basis that the condition has never actually given him any problems. As of November 2013, he was waiting to see if he would be cleared to fight despite his medical condition, however as of November 2016, Hardy has yet to be cleared to fight again. Hardy has been offered a non-fighting position within the UFC, whilst the severity of the condition and his future fighting career are established.[28] He has served as a commentator for UFC's Fight Pass events,[29] and works as an analyst on Fox Sports.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Hardy

hview

When do you think we'll know the final status on Garland? 

AlmaHog2011

arrhythmia is that AFIB?

hview

I dare speculate what his medical issue might be. Others did in this tread.  I was just curious if anyone had an update.  Guess, we'll just be patient and wait. Man, he looks like he could definitely help the team.

Letsroll1200

For what it worth Bill Walton said he saw Garland practice and he looked like Pippen out there. However, I did say Bill Walton.

Pinto

If he does gets cleared, he will redshirt

labb

Quote from: Pinto on November 26, 2017, 08:13:07 pm
If he does gets cleared, he will redshirt
Don't think so if he is cleared the first part of December.

3kgthog

If he gets cleared, I agree there's no way he redshirts. This team with Macon and Barford at the guard spots is Mike's best shot at a Sweet 16 run for 2-3 years. Adding Garland only helps in that effort.

Danny J

This  team right now without Garland and without cook is the best we have played early in a season since coach Anderson's arrival

HawgnCorona

Quote from: tncbg on November 26, 2017, 09:30:31 pm
Cardiomyopathy will be tested in December. If he is not cleared, he will redshirt. Cardiomyopathy is treatable, but part of treatment could be limitations on physical activity. Very unfortunate for kid and his family.

Wow! Thanks...
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

Corkscrew Johnson

I might have misheard this, because I was trying my best to tune him out, but did Walton say yesterday that garland reminded him of Scottie Pippen?

razorbackfan4life

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on November 27, 2017, 06:39:27 am
I might have misheard this, because I was trying my best to tune him out, but did Walton say yesterday that garland reminded him of Scottie Pippen?

Yes. 

gmarv

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on November 27, 2017, 06:39:27 am
yeah he did in between a couple of Oregon rivers or was it between a couple of pages of that stupid book.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: Danny J on November 26, 2017, 08:32:28 pm
This  team right now without Garland and without cook is the best we have played early in a season since coach Anderson's arrival

No doubt..I just hope Garland gets past this. I have seen nothing to make me believe that Cook is even good enough to play on this team. I sure wouldn't give him any of Bailey's minutes. Maybe as a 9th or 10th guy but he's not going to do much more than plug a hole if we get into foul trouble. But he might show a big jump as often happens from a JC player.

Razorod

Quote from: tncbg on November 27, 2017, 08:40:19 pm
I agree regarding Cook. Thomas has some positive attributes and deserves some playing time relieving Bailey, but I don't see where Cook gets minutes. If we get in foul trouble he might find some minutes, but he's otherwise stuck on the pine. Garland, however, is sorely needed. A team that needs 30 plus minutes from Beard is not a true contender. Garland has the handles and the size to contribute at any of the guard spots. Perhaps his condition can be managed with meds and limited minutes. I'm sure he would jump at the chance to play 10-12 minutes a game. Keep hoping!
Really appreciate your input.

JONAS

I agree regarding Cook. Thomas has some positive attributes and deserves some playing time relieving Bailey, but I don't see where Cook gets minutes. If we get in foul trouble he might find some minutes, but he's otherwise stuck on the pine. Garland, however, is sorely needed. A team that needs 30 plus minutes from Beard is not a true contender. Garland has the handles and the size to contribute at any of the guard spots. Perhaps his condition can be managed with meds and limited minutes. I'm sure he would jump at the chance to play 10-12 minutes a game. Keep hoping!

When we Cook be back anyway?

rzrbackramsfan

I honestly see Thomas and Cook as being equal.  Don't count out Cook!

JayHog

Cook plays good defense down low. That needs the be taken into account by everyone discounting his worth. The guy was a top-5 JUCO player afterall, ranked right up there with Barford and Macon. 

bigred223

I like Cook over Thomas personally.

AlmaHog2011

We do need Garland to really make us a more complete team. And I am not anti Cook he's a Razorback but I just haven't seen anything from him that leads me to see him making a big contribution.

My hope is that Cook after a year in the program does live up to his JC ranking. I watched Cook play for his JC team and he didn't dominate. Far from it. Hardly knew he was on the team. But I want him to blow up!

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: JayHog on November 28, 2017, 01:07:53 am
Cook plays good defense down low. That needs the be taken into account by everyone discounting his worth. The guy was a top-5 JUCO player afterall, ranked right up there with Barford and Macon.

Wasn't he the 7th ranked JC player? I am not discounting him I just haven't sen much.

The_Iceman

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on November 28, 2017, 10:51:29 am
We do need Garland to really make us a more complete team. And I am not anti Cook he's a Razorback but I just haven't seen anything from him that leads me to see him making a big contribution.

Our guard depth is really lacking without him. We only have CJ Jones as a guard off the bench. Hall is a wing and can only really play the 3, and is not the caliber of player Garland is.

ADavisTheGOAT

Isn't Khalil supposed to have a test next week?
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech