Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

#2 Option at QB Still a Question Mark

Started by Drew Amman, August 22, 2017, 11:26:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Drew Amman

Calling All Hogs

KlubhouseKonnected

His remarks about game situation line up a bit with my suspicions on how the coaches see the back ups. I think eventually it will become clear that Kelly is going to be Allen's successor
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

hawgon

I'm surprised it's taken this long.  Pretty clear for a good while that Story wasn't going to be the guy.

Hogopolis

As long as Enos is at Arkansas, I have complete confidence in the QB position. 

hog.goblin

Quote from: Hogopolis on August 23, 2017, 01:50:15 pm
As long as Enos is at Arkansas, I have complete confidence in the QB position. 

Agree

Pig Power

Since neither really has any game experience (TY did LY), do you think there will be an opportunity for either of them to get some true game time this year?

Hog Fan...DOH!

I would think that if it's a true toss-up, you go with the younger guy. 

bennyl08

Quote from: Pig Power on August 23, 2017, 01:57:32 pm
Since neither really has any game experience (TY did LY), do you think there will be an opportunity for either of them to get some true game time this year?

Should be at least 12 opportunities.

However, I hope it doesn't happen. There's five ways the backup qb comes in. 1. The starter gets injured. Should be obvious why I hope that doesn't happen. 2. We are getting blown out by the other team. Again, hope that doesn't happen either. 3. Our starter is struggling so badly we have no choice but to pull him. Again, hope that doesn't happen. 4. We are blowing out the other team. This I hope happens a lot. However, if we are blowing out the other team, then our players will grow more from practice than getting any game reps. If they get to go in during a blowout game, even if they are airing it out, they aren't getting any "true" game experience. Only increasing the risk of injury in a "competition" that is basically a rest and a vacation relative to our own practices. 5. We randomly insert the backup into a game without any real reason to do so while the outcome is not fully decided. This is the only scenario that gets the backups some "true" game experience, but you can probably count the coaches in the country who actually do this on one hand. Usually, the only time you see multiple qb's in a game that isn't decided is when the team doesn't know who the starter is yet. Thus, it isn't really the backup getting playing time.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

The_Iceman

Kelley is the superior talent. It was only a matter of time before he passed Ty.

hogsanity

Quote from: Pig Power on August 23, 2017, 01:57:32 pm

OH. NO. Here. We. Go. Again.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Elvis P Hogg

I am sure we will see Ty transfer out at this stage grateful for His time on the Hill

hawganatic

Quote from: Elvis P Hogg on August 23, 2017, 02:59:40 pm
I am sure we will see Ty transfer out at this stage grateful for His time on the Hill

Not necessarily.  If he wants to coach, he will probably stay on the hill and keep learning from this staff, and make coaching connections.  If his after school plans have nothing to do with football, then he will probably stay on the hill and finish his degree, and use the Razorback connections to jump into whatever career field he chooses.

Not all players are just out for playing time.  Some do see the bigger picture and understand what they are getting from the program.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

oldhawg

Perhaps Bielema is going to pull a Houston Nutt and play three or four quarterbacks in the first half as Nutt did in an opener against UNLV a few years ago (a game the Razorbacks nearly lost).

Calling All Hogs

It is possible that Ty is better than we think. He did not impress during the small amount of time he got on the field last year but looking back on it, neither did Austin prior to him starting last year. Neither did Tyler Wilson until his breakout game with Auburn in 2010. So who knows. The coaches obviously like him. 

FANONTHEHILL

It is so difficult to be the QB at Arkansas.  Austin, Cole and Ty are all very talented.  No one ever talks about Proctor, Lindsey, and Hyatt.  Of course Hyatt will redshirt and has a bright future, but Proctor and Lindsey are two guys that could lead other programs and be successful.  The QB position at Arkansas is as solid as any team in the conference.  That's what having Dan Enos on staff does.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

husker71

I have been out of the country so excuse me but what happened to the USC transfer from last year???

factchecker

Quote from: husker71 on August 23, 2017, 06:30:37 pm
I have been out of the country so excuse me but what happened to the USC transfer from last year???

Transfer to Ventura JUCO
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

jgphillips3

Cole was better than him so he left to get playing time elsewhere.  Well, that's the simplified version anyway.

FANONTHEHILL

Ricky Town.  He never really got much of a shot while he was here.  He will start at Ventura College in Ventura, California this fall.  We may not have seen the last of Ricky.  Oregeron is already on him for LSU.  He will have one year at Ventura and then two left to play.  Ricky is a great kid.  My son introduced him to my niece and they're still dating.  She's flying out to a California for his first game next week.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: oldhawg on August 23, 2017, 03:22:25 pm
Perhaps Bielema is going to pull a Houston Nutt and play three or four quarterbacks in the first half as Nutt did in an opener against UNLV a few years ago (a game the Razorbacks nearly lost).

A few eh?
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on August 23, 2017, 07:01:13 pm
Ricky Town.  He never really got much of a shot while he was here.  He will start at Ventura College in Ventura, California this fall.  We may not have seen the last of Ricky.  Oregeron is already on him for LSU.  He will have one year at Ventura and then two left to play.  Ricky is a great kid.  My son introduced him to my niece and they're still dating.  She's flying out to a California for his first game next week.

Has he put a ring on it yet?

rzrbkman

Ryan Sorahan, Tavarius Jackson, Zac Clark, Gerald Howard.....

Piggfoot

I suspect CBB is trying not to burn any bridges yet with Story. The season hasn't started yet. Allen is only a freak accident away from being sidelined.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.