Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017-18 Razorback Bracketology Tracker

Started by jbcarol, April 27, 2017, 11:50:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Shelby Mast‏ @BracketWAG 17h17 hours ago

Not much going on today, so I finally put out a way-too-early bracket for next season, name calling is permitted, enjoy the laugh.  http://bracketwag.com

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

FineAsSwine

Battle of the brackets. Now we need to sticky this topic and update as more brackets come out.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Dominicanhog

We're already in the mix... we don't have to go 12-1 OOC to get noticed... Great start for ncaat implications as well, early exposure makes it easier, opposed to having/needing long winning streaks and/or a gaudy record, to get noticed at all.... as we've seen and been in, so many years past...

With a decent OOC , we could make the T25 at some point.. that alone allows 22 wins to be your magic number instead of the 23/24 we were looking at last year...

Jackrabbit Hog

I'm curious whether either of these crack prognosticators factored in the Macon/Barfield situation at all.  Are they projecting us as an in/out bubble team with those two or without them?
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

jbcarol

Joe Lunardi‏Verified account @ESPNLunardi 21h21 hours ago

New bracket tomorrow, reflecting all NBA draft and transfer decisions. More than a few shake ups... 🏀

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology/_/iteration/284

jbcarol

NCAA Men's Basketball Selection Committee announced it is finally altering its definition of a quality win, putting greater emphasis on road and neutral court games

QuoteTeam sheets will now be divided into home games against teams ranked in the RPI Top 30, neutral court games against teams ranked in the RPI Top 50 and road games against teams ranked in the RPI Top 75. Previously, team sheets only took into account games against RPI Top 50 teams, regardless of location.

jbcarol

Youngsta71701

Quote from: jbcarol on June 01, 2017, 07:57:44 pm
Joe Lunardi‏Verified account @ESPNLunardi 21h21 hours ago

New bracket tomorrow, reflecting all NBA draft and transfer decisions. More than a few shake ups... 🏀

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology/_/iteration/284
So we went from First 4 out to an 11 seed play in game? Typical lack of respect as usual. Oh well, I guess we just have to go out and earn it as usual.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

hogsanity

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on July 18, 2017, 01:51:05 pm
So we went from First 4 out to an 11 seed play in game? Typical lack of respect as usual. Oh well, I guess we just have to go out and earn it as usual.

Why are you surprised? Hogs lost a lot in MK and DH. While they are trying to find team chemistry early, they play some really tough games. They could be a better team than last season by the end of the season but have a record 3 or 4 games worse just due to the increased difficulty of the non-conf schedule and the improvement of other teams in the SEC.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Bigmac2

Calling BS to any bracket that doesn't have North Carolina in our region.

Tusks

Quote from: Bigmac2 on July 19, 2017, 05:32:25 pm
Calling BS to any bracket that doesn't have North Carolina in our region.

no fricken kidding.  I think the hogs will have to have a really bad season to not make the field.  I think they will eventually be around a 3-5 seed.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

jbcarol

FWIW: Hogs are No. 21 in ESPN Preseason BPI rankings

Auburn is one of four SEC teams on the list also trailing No. 13 Kentucky and No. 20 Alabama

Youngsta71701

Quote from: jbcarol on July 27, 2017, 04:50:09 pm
FWIW: Hogs are No. 21 in ESPN Preseason BPI rankings

Auburn is one of four SEC teams on the list also trailing No. 13 Kentucky and No. 20 Alabama
I guess they forgot about Florida... ???
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on July 28, 2017, 08:45:01 am
I guess they forgot about Florida... ???

I agree, and though they lost everybody, Frank is a good coach and USC wasn't a one hit wonder, imo...

This is the year the SEC could re-enter the national picture.. last years NCAA gave great exposure,  a follow up year of 6-8 teams vying for a berth and another good tournament could break the lid on "does the SEC only get 2, 3 bids?.... it's a football league."..etc..

Ham Sandwich

Quote from: hogsanity on July 18, 2017, 02:01:08 pm
Why are you surprised? Hogs lost a lot in MK and DH. While they are trying to find team chemistry early, they play some really tough games. They could be a better team than last season by the end of the season but have a record 3 or 4 games worse just due to the increased difficulty of the non-conf schedule and the improvement of other teams in the SEC.

We have 6 seniors. That's rare and IMO the reason we will have a great season. We should also enter the season in the top 25. So yeah, a projected 11 seed play in game is a little surprising.

popcornhog

Quote from: Ham Sandwich on August 02, 2017, 04:37:37 am
We have 6 seniors. That's rare and IMO the reason we will have a great season. We should also enter the season in the top 25. So yeah, a projected 11 seed play in game is a little surprising.

Why should we enter the season in the T25?

I think we've got reason to believe we can end there, but start? Just not sure I see it based on who we lost.
WPS

Brake

Dan>Moses. Khalil>Dusty. Darious>Watkins. These players fit CMA system better than the three we lost and the players returning will improve. We really didn't lose that much. That's why we should be ranked to start the season.

hogsanity

Quote from: Brake on August 09, 2017, 12:35:21 pm
Dan>Moses. Khalil>Dusty. Darious>Watkins. These players fit CMA system better than the three we lost and the players returning will improve. We really didn't lose that much. That's why we should be ranked to start the season.

You registered almost a month ago, and this is your 1st post? Could this being a duplicate acct be more obvious?

But I am bored, so I'll bite. We did not really lose much, ok, if we believe that, then there is still no reason that a team that did not finish in the top 25 should start in the top 25, even if they are exactly the same team, which this one is not.

Mike's teams seem to always be searching early for the right mix of time and rotation of players, plus it has been hard for guys coming in to pick up the system right away. It took Macon and Barford until into the SEC schedule to really catch on.  Yet, with many newcomers needing to fill key spots, and replace a lot of production, the team should be pre season top 25?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hawg66

Quote from: hogsanity on August 09, 2017, 12:59:14 pm
You registered almost a month ago, and this is your 1st post? Could this being a duplicate acct be more obvious?

But I am bored, so I'll bite. We did not really lose much, ok, if we believe that, then there is still no reason that a team that did not finish in the top 25 should start in the top 25, even if they are exactly the same team, which this one is not.

Mike's teams seem to always be searching early for the right mix of time and rotation of players, plus it has been hard for guys coming in to pick up the system right away. It took Macon and Barford until into the SEC schedule to really catch on.  Yet, with many newcomers needing to fill key spots, and replace a lot of production, the team should be pre season top 25?

Atlhogfan?  Is that you?

ShadowHawg

We have 7 of our 10 man rotation back. We are actually going to be taller and more athletic.

The JUCOs tend to make a jump from their first to second season. If they average 3 more points a game a piece, then Hannahs replacement will only need to average about 7 points per game to replace his production.

CJ Jones shot 50% from 3 last season on 24 shots. He can absolutely replace Hannahs as a 3 pt threat. Hannahs actually had a very inconsistent year shooting the 3 and we still were a good team.

When this team took off late in the season, it had become Barford's and Macon's team.

We are in some preseason polls, but in the low 20's. So it's not surprising we would be on the outside in some others.

But your argument is kind of weak when you look at this poll in it's entirety. There are some teams in there that absolutely sucked last season and others that also lost key players. This kind of poll isn't about the start of the season either. It's about where these pollsters think these teams end up as well, not where they think they will be at the start of the season either.

Some teams may return more starters, but they aren't proven to be good.

hogsanity

Quote from: ShadowHawg on August 09, 2017, 02:52:35 pm
We have 7 of our 10 man rotation back. We are actually going to be taller and more athletic.

The JUCOs tend to make a jump from their first to second season. If they average 3 more points a game a piece, then Hannahs replacement will only need to average about 7 points per game to replace his production.

CJ Jones shot 50% from 3 last season on 24 shots. He can absolutely replace Hannahs as a 3 pt threat. Hannahs actually had a very inconsistent year shooting the 3 and we still were a good team.

When this team took off late in the season, it had become Barford's and Macon's team.

We are in some preseason polls, but in the low 20's. So it's not surprising we would be on the outside in some others.

But your argument is kind of weak when you look at this poll in it's entirety. There are some teams in there that absolutely sucked last season and others that also lost key players. This kind of poll isn't about the start of the season either. It's about where these pollsters think these teams end up as well, not where they think they will be at the start of the season either.

Some teams may return more starters, but they aren't proven to be good.

First, basketball polls are pretty much pointless. The only thing that matters is if your name gets called on the selection show in March. As you point out, the Hogs are in the low 20's in some polls, and just out of a few others when you look at others receiving votes. Neither makes a difference really. But for people to say this team SHOULD be a pre season top 25 team has no merit, and is based on nothing but their thought that these new guys will come in, gel right away, and be better than last years team was early. They have to be better early because the ooc schedule is much tougher. 

Brake

I've known about this website for a couple of months now and I can tell I'm not gonna like you. That's all I'm going to say about that because I came to talk about basketball not an account. I feel the reason it takes some awhile to catch on to the system is because we haven't had people built for it. These freshmen are tailored made for it. They're long, athletic, and skilled. The 3 we lost weren't really any of them. Moses was kind of athletic but he wasn't as tall, long, or athletic as gafford. Dusty was kind of skilled but he didn't have much else going for him. Like a poster just said, the person replacing Hannah's won't be asked to score all that much given the improvements JB and DM hopefully make. Also, the sophomores hopefully make a decent jump. I do know preseason polls don't mean squat but that's what some posters were discussing. I'd rank us haha.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on August 09, 2017, 03:41:23 pm
First, basketball polls are pretty much pointless. The only thing that matters is if your name gets called on the selection show in March. As you point out, the Hogs are in the low 20's in some polls, and just out of a few others when you look at others receiving votes. Neither makes a difference really. But for people to say this team SHOULD be a pre season top 25 team has no merit, and is based on nothing but their thought that these new guys will come in, gel right away, and be better than last years team was early. They have to be better early because the ooc schedule is much tougher.

I agree. If you are outside the top 15, preseason polls are pretty meaningless.

I think we have some question marks about our team that have to be answered before we are a should be ranked kind of team.

niels_boar

I noticed that Vegas has us in the top-50 for NC odds, which puts us on the bubble. 
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

HoopS

Quote from: Brake on August 09, 2017, 05:56:26 pm

I've known about this website for a couple of months now and I can tell I'm not gonna like you. That's all I'm going to say about that because I came to talk about basketball not an account. I feel the reason it takes some awhile to catch on to the system is because we haven't had people built for it. These freshmen are tailored made for it. They're long, athletic, and skilled. The 3 we lost weren't really any of them. Moses was kind of athletic but he wasn't as tall, long, or athletic as gafford. Dusty was kind of skilled but he didn't have much else going for him. Like a poster just said, the person replacing Hannah's won't be asked to score all that much given the improvements JB and DM hopefully make. Also, the sophomores hopefully make a decent jump. I do know preseason polls don't mean squat but that's what some posters were discussing. I'd rank us haha.
you make some good points.

Hard to say if we are a top 25 team as we don't know what we truly will look like and know even less about the other prospective top 25 teams.

I liked the guys we replaced. They all brought some good things. But I think their production in terms of numbers can be replaced. The leadership they brought needs to be replaced and that won't be easy. Need some of these guys to step up and I suspect they will.

Schedule will be challenging. I like that. We need it to prepare us for Feb/March.

I'm excited about this team.

holeinthewall

Duke just became a 1 seed if Bagley is allowed to reclassify.  Odds dropped from 12-1 to 3-1 to win it all with the announcement

jbcarol

Joe Lunardi‏Verified account @ESPNLunardi Aug 16

Thursday brings us the first post-Bagley bracket. Changes from June are not insignificant. 🏀🏀

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

ON THE BUBBLE
Last Four Byes

Providence
    Oklahoma
    Iowa State
    Alabama

Last Four In

Texas Tech
    Missouri
    St. Bonaventure
    Maryland

First Four Out

Arkansas
    Oklahoma State
    Clemson
    San Diego State

Next Four Out

Iowa
    UConn
    Georgia Tech
    Texas A&M

Hogs49ers

Quote from: Brake on August 09, 2017, 05:56:26 pm

Hahaha, I feel you man! I knew I would not like hogsanity within my first few days on Hogville as well!  Do not get bullied away though, lots of good bball conversation from others on this board that will not treat you differently because of your post count.  It is okay to have a bit of optimism and your own optimistic opinion based on last year with the players we are keeping and the recruits we have coming in.  Hell, hogsanity will even have some good points every once in awhile.  Keep coming back man, we need more rational optimist bball fans on here.
SCREW Vandy!

jbcarol

Dominicanhog

jbcarol

Brackets are frozen for the time being.

Waiting for another shoe to drop.

jbcarol

Head idiot @ http://www.bracketwag.com  Official Bracketologist for http://www.usatoday.com , @gannett, http://collegeinsider.com  & #Super10 member

Shelby Mast‏ @BracketWAG Oct 13

4 weeks from today, we will have college hoops, in honor of that, NEW BRACKET POSTED!! Enjoy a good laugh, be kind with your criticism

Multi bid conferences - ACC (9), Big 10 (7), Big 12 (6), SEC (6), Big East (6), Pac 12 (4), ...

2 UK
2 UF
7 Bama
8 A&M
10 MU
11 Vandy

First 4 out - Auburn, Arkansas, Georgia, Stanford

FineAsSwine

Quote from: jbcarol on October 15, 2017, 08:13:53 pm
Head idiot @ http://www.bracketwag.com  Official Bracketologist for http://www.usatoday.com , @gannett, http://collegeinsider.com  & #Super10 member

4 weeks from today, we will have college hoops, in honor of that, NEW BRACKET POSTED!! Enjoy a good laugh, be kind with your criticism

Multi bid conferences - ACC (9), Big 10 (7), Big 12 (6), SEC (6), Big East (6), Pac 12 (4), ...

2 UK
2 UF
7 Bama
8 A&M
10 MU
11 Vandy

Waiting for Joe Lunardi
Hogs up! Covid down!

hogwood

2 UK
2 UF
7 Bama
8 A&M
10 MU
11 Vandy

Wow, certainly an idiot. I can see someone picking KY, FL, and even A&M.. But AL, MO, VAN, and AUB finishing above us? And no SC?? We finished 3rd last year and return lots of scoring and experience as well as a top 25 class.

I do think the SEC gets 6 or 7 in this year though, so not saying those other teams won't make it. But not to put us in the top 6 is idiotic.

The_Iceman

Bama may not even have their best player by the end of the season.

Fan701

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 16, 2017, 08:44:07 am
Bama may not even have their best player by the end of the season.
Yes, it seems pretty clear that Sexton's family was paid to get him to Alabama.  Auburn is sure to lose some of their top players to ineligibility, too.

batmanfan

Looks like this Arkansas is going to be wayyy underrated coming in to the season. They'll be a preseason 7-8 when the polls come out for media days.
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

mizzouman

Preseason Polls don't mean anything.  This is why I don't even look at these magazines.  Worthless.

hogsanity

2 UK
2 UF
7 Bama
8 A&M
10 MU
11 Vandy

Seems like he thinks the middle of the SEC is going to be pretty muddled up. Saying the league gets 6 in, and then having 3 SEC teams in the 1st 4 out tells me that after uk and uf it is going to be a free for all among the next 7 or teams.

jbcarol

NBCSports:

Bracketville‏ @BracketguyDave

Busy day for me but a quick RT that the preseason Bracket and Seed List are up at Bracketville.
https://bracketville.wordpress.com/bracketology

SEC (6): KENTUCKY, Florida, Texas AM, Alabama, Missouri, Arkansas

jbcarol

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology/_/iteration/131
Updated: November 8, 2017

First Four Out

UCF
    Arkansas
    Iowa State
    Iowa

SEC   6

jbcarol

Jerry Palm‏Verified account @jppalmCBS

Season starts in two days. Preseason bracket today.
https://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology/bracket

10 seed Arkansas

SEC: 7 Teams

jbcarol

Jerry Palm: How the NCAA Tournament selection committee is finally changing how it judges teams

QuoteBefore the FBI consumed the off-season news cycle of college basketball, one of the big stories was that the NCAA selection committee has redefined the categories that define the quality of a win or loss.  The categories are still based on the RPI, as they always have, but now there is a game location element as well.

The new tiers are as follows.

Home    Neutral    Road

vs. RPI    vs. RPI    vs. RPI
Tier 1    1-30    1-50    1-75
Tier 2    31-75    51-100    76-135
Tier 3    76-160    101-200    136-240
Tier 4    161+    201+    241+

jbcarol

jbcarol

HawgnCorona

Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

jbcarol

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology/_/iteration/146

Last Four In

Wisconsin
    Butler
    Northwestern
    Arkansas

Posted just prior to Razorbacks-Sooners

thehill1414

Lunardi has OU moving up as an 8. Surely this was posted prior to our game yesterday??