2017 SEC Basketball Recruiting

Started by jbcarol, June 15, 2015, 07:10:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

ikechukwu obiagu ‏@dahskywalker1 2h2 hours ago

Mississippi Offered #HailState #Blessed 🙏

ikechukwu obiagu retweeted
Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDaniels 3h3 hours ago

Connecticut & Mississippi State are the most recent offers for Ike Obiagu. N.C. State & Auburn were in to see him earlier this week.

ikechukwu obiagu retweeted
Reggie Rankin ‏@ReggieRankin Sep 15 Cape Coral, FL

Coach Ollie from UConn just offered ESPN 60 No. 10 Ike Obiagu. Great move! This kid can protect the rim and finish. @ESPNRNHoops
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Courtney Cronin ‏@CourtneyRCronin 4m4 minutes ago

2017 4-star G Nick Weatherspoon evaluates his recruitment while Mississippi State tries to land an early commitment: http://www.clarionledger.com/story/recruitingreport/2015/09/20/nick-weatherspoon-evaluates-early-recruitment/72520242/ ...

QuoteNick Weatherspoon could tell a noticeable difference in his brother Quinndary after just a few short months spent at Mississippi State.

"He's strong, especially with the weights and getting his shot off quicker," Nick Weatherspoon said. "You have to get your shot off quicker in college because they're (opposing players) more athletic and longer."

The younger Weatherspoon is on pace to go through the same transformation as his brother, a freshman shooting guard for the Bulldogs, in just over a year to become a Division I player.

Nick Weatherspoon visited Mississippi State last weekend and plans to visit Portland, Memphis and LSU unofficially this year. The Bulldogs offered the 2017 four-star prospect earlier this summer and have made major headway with the 6-foot-2, 183 pound guard.

"I just like Coach (Ben) Howland and I like (MSU assistant) Coach (George) Brooks," he said. "(Brooks) is recruiting me hard - real hard. Calls me early in the morning."

Ranked No. 60 in the Rivals100 for the class of 2017, the Velma Jackson standout...
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Alex Kline ‏@TheRecruitScoop 14h14 hours ago

2017 Hamilton Heights (TN) guard Nickeil Walker received an offer today from Auburn.

jbcarol

Richard Davenport ‏@ArRecruitingGuy 18h18 hours ago

Bob Simon Associate Head Coach at Alabama was at Arkansas Baptist this morning to watch @Vanover_Connor practice.

jbcarol

Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDaniels 12h12 hours ago

Kentucky stopped in to see 2017 PG Jay Jay Chandler today.

jbcarol

Austin Wiley ‏@__Austinwiley50  9h9 hours ago
I'm proud to say that I will be furthering my education and basketball career at Auburn University 🐅🔵🏀 #WarEagle

jbcarol

Garrett Tucker ‏@GTuckerHoops 43m43 minutes ago

Vanderbilt was in to see 2017 Auburn (AL) PF Garrison Brooks this morning. Mississippi State's Ben Howland will be in this afternoon

NoNC4Tubs

Quote from: jbcarol on September 26, 2015, 09:06:24 pm
Austin Wiley ‏@__Austinwiley50  9h9 hours ago
I'm proud to say that I will be furthering my education and basketball career at Auburn University  #WarEagle

Well, career anyways.......... 8)

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 21h21 hours ago

BREAKING: 2017 center Mitchell Robinson (Chalmette HS) has committed to Texas A & M, his mother told @CBSSports. Top-40 player in class. Story: http://cbsprt.co/1jGjs30

jbcarol

jbcarol

Corey Evans ‏@coreyevans_10 2h2 hours ago

Mississippi State will host 2017 Auburn High big man Garrison Brooks this weekend

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/garrison-brooks

jbcarol

Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria 10h10 hours ago

Missouri will watch 2017 PG Trevon Duval @DatGuy_Trey tomorrow

Mizzou will see 2017 PGs @JayChandlerIII and @DatGuy_Trey tomorrow

jbcarol

Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDaniels 20h20 hours ago Kentucky, USA

2017 top 50 guard Jay Jay Chandler visited LSU yesterday & is at Alabama today, per his father.

jbcarol

Ben Roberts ‏@NextCats 41m41 minutes ago

NEW: Calipari says he has a "pretty good bead on" several 2017 recruits. Quick look at the HS juniors on UK's radar http://bit.ly/21aHbto

QuoteCalipari told reporters. "You know, we have a pretty good bead on the (2017 recruits) that we're on. Probably six of them, maybe seven. And I can touch those guys."

Over the past few months, 10 players from the recruiting class of 2017 have claimed scholarship offers from Kentucky: DeAndre Ayton, Mohamed Bamba, Wendell Carter, John Petty, Michael Porter Jr., Nick Richards, Xavier Tillman, Gary Trent Jr., Jarred Vanderbilt and Trae Young.

Ayton — a 7-footer from the Bahamas — hasn't revealed much about his recruitment. Carter — a 6-10 power forward from Atlanta — seems to be leaning toward Duke after two unofficial visits there in the past few weeks.

Those two players are considered the best in the class.

Porter — the No. 4 overall prospect in 2017 — said recently that he hasn't heard much from Kentucky lately.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway ‏@gatorhoops 19h19 hours ago

UF basketball gets 2017 commit from Canadian pg Shai Alexander - via @Gator_sports http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20151127/ARTICLES/151129757/1217 ...

Confirmed that 2017 pg Shea Alexander has committed to Florida. Three-star prospect from Hamilton, Ontario playing prep ball in Tenn.

jbcarol

Courtney Cronin ‏@CourtneyRCronin 2h2 hours ago Starkville, MS

Mississippi State signee Mario Kegler and top 2017 target Nick Weatherspon are in Starkville this afternoon.

jbcarol

Trae Young
‏@TheTraeYoung
"Final **11"

Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria  6h6 hours ago
Adam Zagoria Retweeted Trae Young
Arguably the top PG in Class of 2017

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway ‏@gatorhoops 19h19 hours ago Florida, USA

#Gators have extended offer to another Canadian player -- 2017 wing Christian David, (6-7, 190), like Alexander, 2-3 star w/upside.

jbcarol

Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDaniels 15h15 hours ago

Five-star 2017 wing John Petty said Alabama, Auburn, Georgia & Kentucky have prioritized him. Not close to making a college choice.

jbcarol

Kyle Tucker ‏@KyleTucker_CJ  3m3 minutes ago
No. 1 2017 recruit DeAndre Ayton says UK in his top three with Duke, Kansas. Seeing Calipari here tonight "unbelievable."

jbcarol

Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria 3h3 hours ago

Adam Zagoria Retweeted ♕Billy Preston☃⛽️

Billy Preston 'down' to 13 schools

Nothin' from nothin' leaves nothin'

♕Billy Preston☃⛽️
‏@nolimitbill

Out of 29 schools, I have decided to cut it down to 13! Thank you to all the schools recruiting me thus far🙏🏽 #13

jbcarol

Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDaniels 15h15 hours ago

DeAndre Ayton, the No. 1 prospect in the 2017 class, told @ScoutRecruiting his top three schools are Duke, Kansas & Kentucky.

jbcarol

Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDaniels 18m18 minutes ago

Five-star Kevin Knox just had the most impressive outing of the City of Palms so far, going for 27 points (11-22) & 12 rebounds in a win.

Knox is versatile. You don't see many guys that rebound as well as him, have the skill to start the break too.

jbcarol

Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDaniels 44m44 minutes ago

Currently watching 5-star 2017 SF Michael Porter. Easily the best I've seen him rebound. Had 11 at half. Will come close to that in 2nd.

Thought Michael Porter played an efficient brand of ball. Didn't force or hunt shots. Scored within flow & off put backs. Went for 34 points

Michael Porter getting mauled for autographs & pictures after game.

jbcarol

Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria 1h1 hour ago

6-7 2017 F Kevin Knox expects a Kentucky offer soon
https://www.sny.tv/college-recruiting/news/after-landing-duke-and-carolina-offers-kevin-knox-goes-off-for-27-and-12/160044314 ... @kevin_knox23

QuoteFORT MYERS, Fla. -- Kevin Knox put his name on the radar while playing for the USA U16 team this spring and the high-flying junior forward's stock is still rising after a 27-point, 12-rebound performance in a 66-54 win over Charlotte (Fla) on opening night at the City of Palms Classic.

The five-star prospect is not done collecting offers, either.

"(Kentucky) Coach (John) Calipari has called me a couple times and my dad's talked to them a lot and I feel an offer coming soon," said Knox.

"He's kept himself level-headed even with all of these college coaches coming by," said his head coach Don Dziagwa. "Still trying to go about his business and become a better player."

jbcarol

Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria 3h3 hours ago

Michael Porter Jr. Drops 34, Says Package Still in Works With Trae Young https://www.sny.tv/college-recruiting/news/michael-porter-jr-drops-34-says-package-still-in-works-with-trae-young/160029780 ...

Michael Porter Jr. wants to commit by end of summer 2016

jbcarol

Evan Daniels@EvanDaniels

City of Palms: Lonzo Ball, Kevin Knox & Michael Porter among standouts on day 1 | Story: http://scouthoops.scout.com/story/1624688-city-of-palms-who-stood-out-on-day-one ...

QuoteMichael Porter is one of the highest rated prospects in the event and he certainly didn't disappoint on day one, pumping in 34 points on 9-for-17 shooting. Porter was efficient on offense and didn't force the issue. Known for his long-range shooting, the 6-foot-8 wing only shot a pair of threes, connecting on of them (sic). Instead, Porter did majority of his work from mid-range, where he made multiple shots, and in the paint. Porter was particularly impressive on the glass, where he reeled in 17 rebounds.

Top SF in 2017 class

jbcarol

jbcarol

Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDaniels Dec 22

Rick Pitino watched 2017 Taylor County PG David Sloan yesterday, his coach told Scout.

No relation to former Taylor County standout LaDano Sloan.

jbcarol

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/2017-basketball-prospects

SEC Commits among 2017's current top ranked prospects

13. Austin Wiley         AU 5-star Spain Park C

28. Mitchell Robinson  A&M 4-star Chalmette C

38. Daniel Gafford      ARK 4-star El Dorado C

49. Davion Mitchell     AU  4-star Liberty Co. PG

87. Cedric Russell       LSU 4-star Peabody Magnet PG

jbcarol

Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDaniels 16h16 hours ago

Wyatt Wilkes, a 2017 forward, will visit Vanderbilt this coming weekend, per his AAU coach.

jbcarol

Jeff Borzello ‏@jeffborzello 15h15 hours ago

Four-star junior Daniel Mading has committed to Arizona State, source confirmed to ESPN. Ranked among the top 15 power forwards in 2017.

Had offers from LSU, SC...

Australian was going to school at the Rock in Gainesville.

jbcarol

Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria 9m9 minutes ago

2017 Big Man DeAndre Ayton talks Kansas, Kentucky, Duke
https://www.sny.tv/college-recruiting/news/2017-big-man-deandre-ayton-i-know-im-the-most-dominant-player-in-the-country/160852344 ...

Quote"I don't want no doubt," Ayton told SNY.tv on Thursday at Baruch College. "This season I've got to show everybody there's no doubt that I'm the No. 1 player."

In Hillcrest's win over Victory Prep on Thursday at The Grind Sessions, Ayton championed his words with effort and production. With put-back dunk after put-back dunk (I counted four in the first half alone), Ayton invoked flashes of a young David Robinson. Defensively, he used his near 7-foot-5 wingspan to deter shots at the rim with ease.

"I'm a lot more confident in my game than last year," he said. "I know that I am the most dominant player in the country."

Playing for a Hillcrest team that's facing controversy following the departure of star forward Marvin Bagley III, the top-rated player in the class of 2018 who is now being home-schooled, Ayton suddenly finds himself as the lone alpha dog on a team without the commensurate talent or experience to help expedite his growth. It didn't matter on Thursday, as Ayton virtually won the game for his school singlehandedly against a Jarred Vanderbilt-led Victory Prep team..

When asked, Ayton was mum about Bagley's departure (as were Hillcrest's coaches) and there certainly seems to be more to the story than what's publicly known at the moment. Still, Ayton's trying to stay focused on how he can improve in his junior season - knowing full well that the college recruiting circuit is about to heat up.

"I put hours in the gym to know what I'm doing on the court," Ayton said. "I'm still doing rehab on my knee and trying to get my conditioning right."

Ayton did clarify that a previous report that listed Duke, Kentucky, and Kansas as his only three candidates was premature

"Those aren't really my top, top three," Ayton said, explaining that he hasn't begun research or even started speaking with coaches over the phone. "I don't get on the phone with anyone. I don't have any of their numbers. I'm going to visit soon. I just like those schools because I like the players that have come out of those programs.

"With Anthony Davis at Kentucky, to be honest, that's the dude of the future of the NBA. I really try to replicate my game after him."

Ayton was also quick to give nods of approval to Duke and Kansas as well.

"I mean Coach K is an all-time great," he said of Mike Krzyzewski. "Just like the other coaches Bill Self and Coach Ca [John Calipari]. I love [Bill Self's] program. I've been watching them for a while and everything runs through his bigs. He's just caught my eye to be honest."

Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria 11m11 minutes ago

Jarred Vanderbilt Feeling Kentucky Love, But Decision Isn't Imminent
https://www.sny.tv/college-recruiting/news/jarred-vanderbilt-feeling-kentucky-love-but-decision-isnt-imminent/160851214 ...

QuoteNEW YORK -- The recruitment of Victory Prep star junior forward Jarred Vanderbilt is in its infancy, but it is worth noting that the Houston native is one of just 10 players from the class of 2017 with an offer from Kentucky.

The 6-foot-8 Vanderbilt got a taste of Commonwealth fandom when Victory Prep participated in the Marshall County Hoop Fest and the Bluegrass Showcase last month. While in the area, Vanderbilt took in Kentucky's game against Arizona State at Rupp Arena on Dec. 12.

The Houston school, which is coached by 10-year NBA veteran Rodney McCray, will be back in Kentucky Jan. 7-10 for Mustang Madness in McCracken County.

"They're sending like three or four guys to the league every year, so of course that's going to be appealing," Vanderbilt told SNY.tv Thursday evening after Victory Prep fell to Hillcrest Prep and its own 2017 star, DeAndre Ayton, at the Grind Session's Gotham Showcase at Baruch College. "It's outstanding. Coach Cal [John Calipari] gets good players to play together and they have success. All the one-and-dones are great and he's a Hall of Fame coach, so yeah, all of that is appealing."

Kentucky is going to have plenty of competition for Vanderbilt's services. He is nowhere near making a decision and seems far away from even cutting his list down, but when asked which schools are showing the most love, Vanderbilt rattled off a number of high-major programs.

Joining Kentucky in the mix for Vanderbilt are Texas, Oklahoma State, Baylor, Kansas, Arizona and Arizona State.

jbcarol

Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDaniels 18h18 hours ago

2017 top 100 wing Jaylen Sebree is taking an unofficial visit to Kentucky today.

jbcarol

Jody Demling ‏@jdemling 14h14 hours ago

Taylor County junior guard David Sloan was in attendance tonight at the Louisville game. @EvanDaniels

jbcarol

Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDaniels Jan 4

Fresh off a weekend visit to Louisville, 2017 Taylor County (Ky.) guard David Sloan picked up an offer from Iowa State.

jbcarol

Courtney Cronin ‏@CourtneyRCronin 52m52 minutes ago

Oxford 2017 PG Jarkel Joiner ... will be at Ole Miss tonight...

Metcalf, D.K.
‏@dkmetcalf14

Remember the name, Jarkel Joiner the boy is going to be a great hooper.

4:22 PM - 21 May 2015

jbcarol

Ben Roberts ‏@NextCats 4h4 hours ago

.@EvanDaniels on UK target DeAndre Ayton: "He's as good as it gets, as far as a prospect in high school basketball." http://bit.ly/1SCCh4Y

QuoteMustang Madness high school basketball showcase returns to Paducah this week, bringing some of the nation's top recruits to McCracken County High School for four days of games.

Among the featured players will be Hillcrest (Ariz.) junior DeAndre Ayton, a 7-footer who was named by Scout.com last year as the No. 1 prospect, regardless of age, in all of high school basketball. He was only a sophomore at the time.

Scout.com director of recruiting Evan Daniels got another look at Ayton at last month's Tarkanian Classic in Las Vegas, and the high praise from last season still stands.

"I thought it was as good as I've seen him play," Daniels told the Herald-Leader this week. "And he's as good of a prospect as there is in high school basketball. You don't find too many guys with his type of size, length, mobility, athleticism, and then the skill.

"I think the area that might have impressed me the most was his shooting touch, and his form. ... When he puts effort on playing in the paint, he rebounds everything and he blocks everything. He's as good as it gets, as far as a prospect in high school basketball."

jbcarol

Courtney Cronin ‏@CourtneyRCronin 3h3 hours ago

Can confirm 3* 2017 SG J.J. Smith has committed to Ole Miss, per a source. Will be on campus for OM-UGA tonight. Big get for AK & staff.

Word of God SG is the #2 ranked '17 player in NC.

jbcarol

Courtney Cronin ‏@CourtneyRCronin 2h2 hours ago

Ole Miss 2017 commit J.J. Smith on The Pavilion: "That's the best arena I've ever seen." http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/recruitingreport/2016/01/12/4-star-wing-jj-smith-details-ole-miss-commitment/78695828/ ...

jbcarol

DJ Harvey ‏@TheRealDJHarvey 14h14 hours ago

To the 50+ schools, thank YOU coaches that took the time to recruit me. I'm honored to announce my Final 16 #blessed

DeMatha 5-star SF

jbcarol

jbcarol

Matthew Stevens ‏@matthewcstevens 20h20 hours ago

5-star center 2017 Auburn commit Austin Wiley has arrived at Auburn Arena today with his mom, Vickie Orr-Wiley.

They saw a good one.

jbcarol

Courtney Cronin ‏@CourtneyRCronin 31m31 minutes ago

Ole Miss snags a commitment from 2017 Petal forward Tirus Smith. http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/recruitingreport/2016/01/18/ole-miss-snags-2017-petal-post-player/78958540/ ...

QuoteOn Monday, the forward committed to the Rebels, becoming the second 2017 commitment for Andy Kennedy is (sic) just over a week.

"It was my dream to go play for an SEC school," Smith said. "Once I got that offer I was like, wow, this is about to happen. It was big."

Smith, who is currently unranked by major recruiting services, is averaging 16.7 points, 11.2 rebounds and 3.2 blocks per game as a junior.

"I think they want me to be a stretch four and go in and be able to rebound and defend," he said. "I can stretch the floor with my shooting and be able to get to the rim from outside the paint."

Smith recently watched Ole Miss beat Georgia inside the Pavilion during the arena's opening weekend. The Rebels increased commitment to basketball was one of the first things that caught his eye about the program in person.

"That's a big thing for me right now, the facilities and everything," he said. "I see them and how I can thrive there and get better as a player and as a student. Everything they have to offer me, I didn't see anyone else offering more than that."

Smith joins four-star wing J.J. Smith in the Rebels 2017 class.

jbcarol

Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDaniels Jan 20 Kentucky, USA

Five-star center Zach Brown verbally committed to Kevin Ollie and UConn this morning, his guardian Michael Lipman told Scout.

Brown, a 7-foot center out of Miami (Fla.) Senior, visited the Huskies unoffically over the weekend. He considered a host of other high major schools including Florida, Georgia, Miami and North Carolina State

jbcarol

Gator lead guard commit is climbing in recruiting rankings: Canadian Shai Alexander

QuoteIn his first year playing in America, Florida 2017 point guard commitment Shai Alexander is developing nicely.

And recruiting analysts from throughout the country are starting to take notice. Off a strong showing last month at the City of Palms Tournament in Fort Meyers, the 6-foot-3 Alexander has risen to the 40th best prospect in the nation, according to ESPN.com's Super 60 2017 rankings.

Alexander, an Ontario, Canada, native, is playing this season at Hamilton Heights Christian Academy in Chattanooga, Tenn.

jbcarol

Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDaniels Jan 20 Kentucky, USA

Kevin Ollie (@CoachKO_UConn) & UConn are coming off a very impressive class in 2016. No. 6 overall. Zach Brown is a major piece in 2017.

Inhogswetrust

Good grief.........Hogs either start recruiting better overall or get relegated to average status at best as a basketball program. If they haven't already.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jbcarol

Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDaniels 2h2 hours ago Kentucky, USA

2017 Franklin (Ky.) Franklin-Simpson guard Tavin Lovan took an unofficial visit to Vanderbilt last night, per a source.

4-star SG playing near the Kentucky-Tennessee state line less than 50 miles north of Nashville.  ESPN's #2 player in Kentucky in the '17 class.