Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rotator Cuff

Started by CabotHog87, May 31, 2013, 09:41:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

CabotHog87

Hey guys, I don't post much in here; usually just read. Just thought I'd get some opinions. I've played baseball almost my whole life and have never had any trouble with shoulder injuries or tendonitis etc. but lately I've been having a lot of pain in my shoulder and sometimes when I throw this sharp pain shoots down the outside of my arm. This has never happened before and the only thing I can think of is I'm doing more weight training now than ever before and I think my shoulders/arms have gotten a lot bigger but my rotator cuff muscles are still small and weak and can't take the constant stress of throwing. I've started doing some rotator cuff exercises with dumbells (no more than 10 lbs.) Just wondering if there's something else I can do or if anyone else has experienced this before. Really hoping I haven't torn something in there, but it doesn't hurt when I do my normal shoulder workout. Thoughts?

Ragnar Hogbrok

It's hard to diagnose over the internet...and I'm no doctor or PT.  Your best bet is to be seen by a professional.  Shoulder injuries are no joke, and they don't get better unless you are proactive.

I hope it's just a strain, but a doc or PT would probably be able to tell for sure.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

clutch

Quote from: Nate(wocraig)Craig on May 31, 2013, 11:31:36 am
It's hard to diagnose over the internet...and I'm no doctor or PT.  Your best bet is to be seen by a professional.  Shoulder injuries are no joke, and they don't get better unless you are proactive.

I hope it's just a strain, but a doc or PT would probably be able to tell for sure.

From my experience, they don't get better peroid.

Go get it checked out now, before it's too late. I've torn mine multiple times. It's pretty much in constant pain now. Once you tear it, you will realize just how important your shoulders actually are.

CabotHog87

Just as an update, as I said a couple weeks ago I started doing rotator cuff exercises with light dumbbells and I've really noticed a difference in my shoulder strength and it doesn't hurt anymore when I throw. So hopefully it's all good now, but I will keep doing the exercises anyway.

Ragnar Hogbrok

I have an injury underneath my right shoulder blade from being rear-ended by and drunk driver.  I find that as long as I continue to perform back and should exercises, I don't hurt.  When I don't get to make a workout for a day or two, I start to get that aching again.

So, something's wrong, I'm just buying time until I can get back home and get fixed.  I still suggest that you see a doc or a PT just to be sure.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.

CabotHog87

Quote from: Nate(wocraig)Craig on June 18, 2013, 11:30:21 am
I have an injury underneath my right shoulder blade from being rear-ended by and drunk driver.  I find that as long as I continue to perform back and should exercises, I don't hurt.  When I don't get to make a workout for a day or two, I start to get that aching again.

So, something's wrong, I'm just buying time until I can get back home and get fixed.  I still suggest that you see a doc or a PT just to be sure.

Good idea, I'm just scared I'm gonna get news that I don't want lol

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: CabotHog87 on June 18, 2013, 12:56:32 pm
Good idea, I'm just scared I'm gonna get news that I don't want lol

I understand, but bad news doesn't get better with time.  I hope for you it's nothing, though.

AnonymousHog

Last year I suffered a shoulder injury and was afraid it was my rotator cuff.  Turns out I tore my glenoid labrum.  It was in constant pain from it.  Because of my age the doctor felt like I didn't need to rush into surgery to just help get it stronger.  It will never repair itself but honestly I was much happier not to do surgery.  I always worry of a surgery being performed and screwing things up worse than they were.  So went through about 6 months worth of strong pain meds and joint steroid shots in it.  Finally back to living normal.  Makes a nasty pop often and gets caught at times.  But like the poster above me said you don't realize how important your shoulders are until you injure them. 

clutch

Quote from: AnonymousHog on June 18, 2013, 02:58:17 pm
Last year I suffered a shoulder injury and was afraid it was my rotator cuff.  Turns out I tore my glenoid labrum.  It was in constant pain from it.  Because of my age the doctor felt like I didn't need to rush into surgery to just help get it stronger.  It will never repair itself but honestly I was much happier not to do surgery.  I always worry of a surgery being performed and screwing things up worse than they were.  So went through about 6 months worth of strong pain meds and joint steroid shots in it.  Finally back to living normal.  Makes a nasty pop often and gets caught at times.  But like the poster above me said you don't realize how important your shoulders are until you injure them. 

I'm convinced that surgeries made my shoulder worse. It hurt pretty bad before, but a lot worse after surgeries.

H&D

Quote from: AnonymousHog on June 18, 2013, 02:58:17 pm

I fractured my lower glenoid.  I wish I could have avoided surgery.  I left the hospital with no meds and in very little pain.  After surgery a couple of days later I wanted to crawl into a hole and die.  I had to have the surgery because of constant dislocations after the injury, they really didn't hurt but is was damn annoying.   
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"