Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anybody run hills?

Started by Hogsmo Kramer, April 04, 2013, 10:42:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogsmo Kramer

I just started back running hills today after a long layoff from doing them and holy shite I forgot how bad they suck!

The one I run is about 60-65 yards long and dang near straight up. Freaking took me 20 minutes just to get to wear I could drive home.

I think I probably went out a little to hard today but will be back at it again Sunday just a little more scaled back so I don't pass out.  :D

Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

Ragnar Hogbrok

Hills are an excellent method to quickly gain cardiovascular endurance and build a bit of muscle.  I'm not sure if running nothing but hills is a good thing, though.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

clutch

I wish I could. I live in the flat lands though.

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: Nate(wocraig)Craig on April 05, 2013, 04:45:39 am
Hills are an excellent method to quickly gain cardiovascular endurance and build a bit of muscle.  I'm not sure if running nothing but hills is a good thing, though.

I don't just run hills alone I also do some regular road work but not usually any further than 1-2 miles but the bulk of my conditioning comes from sled pulls, hills, hitting my bag, and barbell complexes and the long distance stuff is usually just a supplement to the other stuff.

I like to change up my routine fairly often but hills is something I do in the spring/summer as a quick way to shed my winter coat and I only do it 2-3 times a week in addition to lifting and other forms of conditioning.

That said it is brutal work and tough on the Achilles and calf muscles so care has to be taken in those areas. Oh and I don't run down them just walk down to catch my breath then sprint back up.

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: clutch on April 05, 2013, 06:39:29 am
I wish I could. I live in the flat lands though.

I had the same problem a few years back, luckily I now live in southwest Missouri and there are some really good hills around here so it has become another tool in my conditioning arsenal and a killer at that.

ridgehog88

I work out but have terrible endurance.  How many hills do you run at a time?  I have some hills I could run in my neighborhood.

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: ridgehog88 on April 05, 2013, 02:21:26 pm
I work out but have terrible endurance.  How many hills do you run at a time?  I have some hills I could run in my neighborhood.

I typically set my stopwatch for 15-20 minutes and do as many as I can in that time sprinting up and walking back down.

Yesterday I only did 8 for example but that will depend on how big your hill is. I don't time my rest intervals just rest as much as needed and attack it again which is probably about 90-120 seconds between each one after walking down.

Be warned though just walking back down sucks too after doing a couple. 

I typically try to improve by one additional hill in the same amount of time each week but that admittedly doesn't always happen.

Anyways if you've never done it before just know it's gonna suck and pace yourself.

Good luck!

hawgrunner

I don't mind them and they are a key to my 50K training.

When I'm out and running and do a hill repeats my running stride gets closer together and I attack the hill. :)

ldfergu

Look up Jerry Rice's old hill regimen. Incredible..  Sorry no link

hawgrunner

Quote from: ldfergu on April 09, 2013, 04:08:39 pm

That's a hard one to find, a few google, yahoo and bing searchs have yet to pull any results.

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: ldfergu on April 09, 2013, 04:08:39 pm

I love the old footage of Walter Payton running hills back in the day.

That guy was a hero of mine growing up; nothing like "Sweetness" he was amazing! 

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hogfly

Quote from: rock642 on April 09, 2013, 06:27:42 pm
That's a hard one to find, a few google, yahoo and bing searchs have yet to pull any results.

I'm a little slow on the uptake, as I was seriously looking for the link for a bit, thinking you couldn't find it. But.. in the same tone and just in case:

http://bit.ly/YcwUKB

;)

Guinness Snout

If you live in the flat lands of NEA like I do you can always find a levee.  I run the levee's around Newport. I usually sprint to the top do 10 push-ups walk down and repeat.   Fun workout.

kingofdequeen

run....for....your....li-ife............

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: Guinness Snout on April 10, 2013, 07:17:38 am
If you live in the flat lands of NEA like I do you can always find a levee.  I run the levee's around Newport. I usually sprint to the top do 10 push-ups walk down and repeat.   Fun workout.

Levees are awesome for hill sprints.

clutch

Quote from: Guinness Snout on April 10, 2013, 07:17:38 am

They must take better care of the levees over there. I'd be running through grass up to my hips.

Guinness Snout

I run levee @ jacksonport.   Its a state park so they keep it cut short.

hawgrunner

Quote from: Hogfly on April 10, 2013, 06:38:50 am
I'm a little slow on the uptake, as I was seriously looking for the link for a bit, thinking you couldn't find it. But.. in the same tone and just in case:

http://bit.ly/YcwUKB

;)

Got it! Ha!   8)

Darren DeLoach

May 02, 2013, 09:32:08 am #18 Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 04:19:20 pm by Darren DeLoach (semohawg)
I run hills quite a bit. Usually on my short run days, I will run about three miles out to the interstate, then 25-30 sprints up the concrete embankment of the overpass. Then the three miles back home are killer.

ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on May 02, 2013, 09:32:08 am
I run hills quite a bit. Usually on my short run days, I will run about three miles out to the interstate, then 25-30 sprints up the concrete embankment of the overpass. Then the three miles back home are killer.

Here is the "hill" i run....

[img]https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/v/911620_4793937841549_156938348_n.jpg?oh=c566afd2ac52124603eae7d37223d153&oe=51846AF0&__gda__=1367657035_c3db43084ba49455678aa0c2acb05116[/

Short run day?! 6 miles round trip is a short run day?! Frick that.  :)

3 miles is bout my max since I don't typically enjoy it and being 5'10 220 lb. long distance doesn't always agree with me.

Nice "hill" though just goes to show you can find one to run almost anywhere you live but it does take some searching if you live in a flat area.

Hogfly

If that's the overpass on Gregg, then I've probably seen you running there before. I've seen quite a few people running there, some of whom look like they may be players.

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on May 02, 2013, 12:22:58 pm
Short run day?! 6 miles round trip is a short run day?! Frick that.  :)

3 miles is bout my max since I don't typically enjoy it and being 5'10 220 lb. long distance doesn't always agree with me.

Nice "hill" though just goes to show you can find one to run almost anywhere you live but it does take some searching if you live in a flat area.

I am "transforming" my body from the "builder" type to the longer, leaner type. Tough process. Still lift, but run a lot. At 44. I grew tired of maintaining muscle mass. I was like you, 5"10 and 215-225. Now sitting at 170 and running has supplanted my heaviest lift days.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

Darren DeLoach

And when I say muscle mass, I am simply referencing mass size. I am as ripped now as I was at 21, but not at 215lbs. I can just run a marathon now. I have no desire to have a marathon runner's body. Just want that nice muscular streamlined look. And running (hills included) are now the main component of my workout, rather than the supplement.

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on May 02, 2013, 04:22:51 pm
And when I say muscle mass, I am simply referencing mass size. I am as ripped now as I was at 21, but not at 215lbs. I can just run a marathon now. I have no desire to have a marathon runner's body. Just want that nice muscular streamlined look. And running (hills included) are now the main component of my workout, rather than the supplement.

Gotcha nothing wrong with that.

It's funny I'm kinda on the other side. Have been as heavy as 235 then dropped to 208-210 and last summer dropped down to my lightest since HS to 191.

While I liked how I looked at 191 I thought I was a little to thin, which my wife and fam agreed, and lost to much muscle so I spent the winter avoiding traditional cardio and lifting heavy again to where I am now at 218-220. Luckily the muscle came back and then some and I'm as strong now as I was when I played college ball.

But now it's time time drop back, hence the hills and commencement of more traditional cardio, and hopefully I'll be down to 205-210 in the next month or so just in time for summer and that's likely where I'll stay for a while.

That weight gets me lean without much muscle loss and is easy for me to maintain, and with a 9 month old and the wife wanting to have another easy maintenance is what I'm looking for.  :)

RivercrestHog

Anyone know of a good hill to run that's within the 1-2 mile range from UAMS in LR?

kingofdequeen

Quote from: RivercrestHog on May 02, 2013, 08:57:49 pm
Anyone know of a good hill to run that's within the 1-2 mile range from UAMS in LR?

you mean other than the friggen cantrell hill you nut job?

kingofdequeen

i mean.  UAMS is literally at the bottom of that hill.  the whole thing is up from uams.  every block. 

RivercrestHog

Quote from: kingofdequeen on May 02, 2013, 10:56:17 pm
you mean other than the friggen cantrell hill you nut job?

Hahaha not sure why that one slipped my mind.