Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

best gym if fayetteville

Started by Hognipotent, February 18, 2013, 12:30:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hognipotent

hello all im just looking for a good gym to go to that is near campus.

Ragnar Hogbrok

If you're a student, I'd recommend going to the HPER building since you pay the fee already.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: Hognipotent on February 18, 2013, 12:30:43 am
hello all im just looking for a good gym to go to that is near campus.

Join planet fitness or whatever that place is. There is one right off Wedington, its brand new. Its $10 a month and 100x better than HPER, unless you wanna play ball.

Hog_Fink

Clubhaus on dickson
nice facilities. good size. not crowded. no meatheads.

spe450

I go to World Gym on College.  Stuck with them primarily because of familiarity with some of the staff and other patrons.  I'm not a fan of some of their practices and the equipment seems to be lacking in specific areas.  For instance, they have no Olympic lift area (no bumper plates either), yet they have a good size women's only room that seems to be rarely used. This wouldn't be a problem but those lifts have gotten to be pretty popular and they cause a bit of overcrowding in certain areas.

They can also be fairly expensive if you don't watch out.  Prices will increase yearly but with a little negotiation, you can knock it back some.

There are the occasional meatheads but most are nice and keep the shouting to a minimum.  They are also good about minding their own business.  Cardio equipment can be tough to get to on Monday and Tuesday afternoons, but the rest of the week is ok.

HuntinHog

If you're a student, go to the HPER, even if packed it's not like there's nothing to look at while you're waiting.

ATU HOG

Go the either the HPER or the Union.  HPER has more to offer.  Union only has dumbbells that go up to 50, but it's still a good place to workout.  Union is more a cardio place, a lot more machines for cardio.

Hognipotent

Yeah i want a place that has bumper plates so i can do dead lifts and clean. I would love to do more Olympic style lifts and planet fitness doesn't really fit the bill...

Hogfly

Check out Powerhouse in Evelyn Hills. I used to work out there when it was Pulse, but we changed our membership to ClubHaus because my wife likes group fitness classes and the atmosphere. I like the community at ClubHaus, and they're starting to get more Olympic style stuff in following the Crossfit trend, but it's expensive.

Planet Fatness sounds like a horrible gym, as a friend of mine supposedly got kicked out of there for wearing a stocking cap and sweating too much. In researching, they evidently actually kick people out of that gym for dropping weights or grunting too much (they have a "lunk alarm" that goes off if someone is acting like a "lunk"). I'm far from a meathead, but that just sounds ridiculous to me.

If I could work out anywhere, I'd probably work out with Derek Miller at Ballistic Fitness. Dude is awesome and inspiring.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ballistic-Fitness/112471488823431

Unfortunately, driving to Springdale doesn't fit into my schedule.

clutch

Quote from: Hogfly on February 25, 2013, 09:47:58 pm
Check out Powerhouse in Evelyn Hills. I used to work out there when it was Pulse, but we changed our membership to ClubHaus because my wife likes group fitness classes and the atmosphere. I like the community at ClubHaus, and they're starting to get more Olympic style stuff in following the Crossfit trend, but it's expensive.

Planet Fatness sounds like a horrible gym, as a friend of mine supposedly got kicked out of there for wearing a stocking cap and sweating too much. In researching, they evidently actually kick people out of that gym for dropping weights or grunting too much (they have a "lunk alarm" that goes off if someone is acting like a "lunk"). I'm far from a meathead, but that just sounds ridiculous to me.

If I could work out anywhere, I'd probably work out with Derek Miller at Ballistic Fitness. Dude is awesome and inspiring.

Yeah that "lunk" stuff sounds stupid to me. I understand wanting people to feel comfortable in your gym, but getting kicked out for breathing too hard while working out is insane. If you are pushing a heavy weight or doing a hard workout sometimes it's hard not to make a little noise. I can understand not wanting people to do the really loud grunting, but from what I hear heavy breathing sets off alarms there.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: clutch on February 25, 2013, 10:21:29 pm
Yeah that "lunk" stuff sounds stupid to me. I understand wanting people to feel comfortable in your gym, but getting kicked out for breathing too hard while working out is insane. If you are pushing a heavy weight or doing a hard workout sometimes it's hard not to make a little noise. I can understand not wanting people to do the really loud grunting, but from what I hear heavy breathing sets off alarms there.

I had no idea about that... sounds lame.

Are they just encouraging fat slobs to workout there all the time? Sounds gross.

clutch

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on February 26, 2013, 06:17:14 pm
I had no idea about that... sounds lame.

Are they just encouraging fat slobs to workout there all the time? Sounds gross.

I think they are trying to cater towards the people who want to go to the gym, but are embarrassed that everybody is judging them. In reality though, the people that are making the noises and stuff are probably paying less attention to them than anybody else in the gym. Usually the people like that are focused only on their workout.

Whenever I was getting some of my friends to work out with me, that was always the barrier that I had to get over with them before they would get serious about it. I tried and tried to tell them that nobody really cares how weak they are at the time. Get over it, work hard, and you'll see results and won't worry anymore.

spe450

Quote from: clutch on February 26, 2013, 09:22:35 pm
I think they are trying to cater towards the people who want to go to the gym, but are embarrassed that everybody is judging them. In reality though, the people that are making the noises and stuff are probably paying less attention to them than anybody else in the gym. Usually the people like that are focused only on their workout.

Whenever I was getting some of my friends to work out with me, that was always the barrier that I had to get over with them before they would get serious about it. I tried and tried to tell them that nobody really cares how weak they are at the time. Get over it, work hard, and you'll see results and won't worry anymore.

No matter what you look like, as long as you are working hard, no one cares.  Hard to explain to some people.

But I do understand the desire to avoid "Lunks" as they are called.  The shouting has a very "look at me" vibe to it.  We have a guy that shouts while doing lunges.  As long as these gyms let you know ahead of time what it is you are signing up for, then I have no problem with their rules.

widespreadsooie

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on February 18, 2013, 01:46:13 am
Join planet fitness or whatever that place is. There is one right off Wedington, its brand new. Its $10 a month and 100x better than HPER, unless you wanna play ball.

What is the basketball situation there?

clutch

Quote from: spe450 on February 27, 2013, 10:50:07 am
No matter what you look like, as long as you are working hard, no one cares.  Hard to explain to some people.

But I do understand the desire to avoid "Lunks" as they are called.  The shouting has a very "look at me" vibe to it.  We have a guy that shouts while doing lunges.  As long as these gyms let you know ahead of time what it is you are signing up for, then I have no problem with their rules.

I dont have a problem with the rule in general, as long as they dont take it overboard. I have heard stories of them kicking people out for as little as breathing too hard. Thats pretty extreme too me. Id rather just tune out the "lunkers" elsewhere.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on February 18, 2013, 01:46:13 am

Try the City Community Center; I joined mine down here in DFW and I paid 10 bucks for the YEAR!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

H&D

Quote from: clutch on February 25, 2013, 10:21:29 pm

Planet Fitness is for girls and idiots, IMO.  They have Pizza Night for crying out loud. 
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

clutch

Quote from: H&D on March 24, 2013, 05:08:28 pm
Planet Fitness is for girls and idiots, IMO.  They have Pizza Night for crying out loud. 

I agree.

spe450

Quote from: H&D on March 24, 2013, 05:08:28 pm

So it's an upscale curves?  Curves is where big ladies go to roll around on the floor for 15 minutes.

H&D

I only know one guy that goes there, and he is just trying to hit on the ladies, and it's cheap.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

jry04

Quote from: Hogfly on February 25, 2013, 09:47:58 pm

I have gone to PF 5 days a week since it opened. I go because of location and price. I have heard the Lunk Alarm go off once since being there. I know for a fact your friend wasn't kicked out for wearing a stocking cap considering people wear them all the time in there. I see meatheads in there wearing backwards hats, and tiny tank tops all the time. Women wear shorts that don't cover anything. They aren't really kicking people out like their commercials make you think. It was more to say it is a "judgement free zone."

Perhaps he got kicked out for sweating on the equipment and not cleaning up after himself? They have cleaning solution and paper towels all throughout the gym. He may have just went from machine to machine without wiping anything down and other members complained. Pretty outrageous to think a gym is kicking people out simply because he was sweating too much.

jry04

Quote from: H&D on March 25, 2013, 09:08:41 pm
I only know one guy that goes there, and he is just trying to hit on the ladies, and it's cheap.
$10.00 a month for a 24 hour gym that has a ton of sorority girls in spandex is definitely worth it. Basically every girl that lives off Wedington and works out is a member at PF.

Veritas Arkansas

Quote from: spe450 on March 25, 2013, 09:15:11 am
So it's an upscale curves?  Curves is where big ladies go to roll around on the floor for 15 minutes.

I thought that was HiM's house?
Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 02, 2017, 03:02:35 pm
I like to refer to myself as a bigot.  I have every right to be.

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on October 06, 2017, 01:23:52 pm
White Nationalists aren't any more evil than homosexuals.

spe450

Quote from: Veritas Arkansas on April 09, 2013, 01:21:43 pm
I thought that was HiM's house?

They stole his idea.  Nothin' like linoleum back farts and the smell of lady swamp ass in the morning.