Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sounds like it's Chavis?

Started by ricepig, December 11, 2017, 01:26:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 11, 2017, 05:17:12 pm
Good people in an "abandoned his home country to move to the godless communist haven" kind of way.  ;D

haha yes.  The best kind of people.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: HogFansReunited on December 11, 2017, 05:09:33 pm
Might be smarter than I was giving you credit for lol.

Nah, probably not. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: the 1 and only on December 11, 2017, 05:16:21 pm
20 years of coaching in the sec. With the majority  being in the s3c west. Lets get some talent  in here
He spent 19 years at Tennessee.

Razoryak

This guy won the broyles award 6 years ago and his reputation is still that he is/has been one of the best DCs in the country, yet the HV complaining never ends. Maybe if he has a press conference and drops some cool hashtag worthy quotes y'all will get on his jock as quick as you did CCM after wanting to fire him before he even started.

Woo Pig

HogPharmer

It's clear that our team needs a good, young DC.

....With 25 years of SEC experience.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

Dark Helmet Hog

Chavis would be one of the best hires we could hope for outside of Venables. He runs an aggressive and attacking style defense which I would much rather see than getting picked apart all day.

Hawg Life

JusJim

All of you all complaining about Chavis' age.  He is NOT old.  He's barely over 60, which is not that old in this day and age.  And someone comparing him to Saban's age.  Saban is mid to upper 60's, although he probably does look younger.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: Wildhog on December 11, 2017, 01:28:40 pm
Since Schaap said it, I guess we can rule him out.
he's the Twitter fake news troll

Wild Bill Hog

How were his defenses at TAMU?  I really don't recall being overwhelmed is all I'm saying.

WilsonHog

Tell me the name of the last DC we hired who was more accomplished than John Chavis.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on December 11, 2017, 05:55:13 pm
Tell me the name of the last DC we hired who was more accomplished than John Chavis.

As I mentioned before. The only one I can remember even in his league was Don Lindsey.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

lakecityhog

The stupid on this board grows daily!
Chavis is good enough for Tennessee, LSU and Texas A&M but not for Arkansas, right???
We are currently 110 out of 120 in defense and Chavis won't improve on that?
We should expect Morris to hire a good HS coach for our defense?
We need him to hire an asst DC that is young and energetic?

Texas A&M                           Arkansas
Total D                59                                       100
Sacks                 T6                                       T102
D Efficiency         41                                        95

If Chavis could get us just close to those numbers we would be 100% better than we are right now.
Are there better DC's out there? probably, are they hireable? probably not! Would we be better with some young kid that is "energetic"? or a "great" HS coach? I kinda doubt it.
The name Chavis will draw recruits and he can seal the deal on kids that his assistants find.

Chavis will be the best DC that Arkansas has had for a VERY long time.

Paul

Again, that's not the point. Most of the disappointment in this thread is directly due to the rumor put out there that Venables was coming. 

apcapri

If he can move us from 103 in total defense to 60 where aTm was ranked it will make a huge difference. That probably would have won us 2-3 more games this year.

Oklahawg

Did Steve Caldwell ever serve as DC for us? Or, just a position coach? He was a position coach under Chavis at TN. That's the best I've got.

Keith Burns
Joe Lee Dunn
Reggie Herring
Willy Robinson
Robb Smith
Paul Rhoads

Probably missing one or two in there somewhere.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Wildhog on December 11, 2017, 05:13:58 pm
When we hire a coach, the first thing I do is go to their former team's message board.  If they're pissed off, it's a good sign.  If they're ok with it, it's concerning.  That's when the real credit/criticisms come out.

Message boarders have a tendency to drink the kool aid while a coach is employed by their favorite program.  They're a lot more objective afterward, when they can be critical without backlash.

Other teams message board posters are just like most on here. They have never coached and don't know anything about playing or coaching the college game.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: Paul on December 11, 2017, 06:10:05 pm
Again, that's not the point. Most of the disappointment in this thread is directly due to the rumor put out there that Venables was coming. 

The recent HC search should have taught us all a valuable lesson about rumors.........I think the combination of a CCM offense and a CJC defense could make the Razorbacks a formidable foe sooner rather than later.
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

Paul

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 11, 2017, 06:12:44 pm
Other teams message board posters are just like most on here. They have never coached and don't know anything about playing or coaching the college game.
Well, Boise St's were right about Nutt & Wisky's were right about Bielema...

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Wildhog on December 11, 2017, 03:03:19 pm
In what universe were Rory Segrest, Kurt Anderson, Vernon Hargreaves, Joel Thomas, Jemal Singleton, John Scott or Chad Walker heralded and "ballywhoed?"

I'd bet there are only one or two posters on here that had heard anything about any one of them prior to getting hired by Bret.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Paul on December 11, 2017, 06:15:39 pm

I often wonder IF nutty would have ever been hired without that damn committee and John White. I really doubt it. I still believe Frank wanted TT.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 11, 2017, 06:07:03 pm
As I mentioned before. The only one I can remember even in his league was Don Lindsey.

I thought about Lindsey, and of course about Monte Kiffin before him.

Wildhog

Quote from: Paul on December 11, 2017, 06:15:39 pm

We tried telling Ole Miss about Nutt too.  This ain't rocket science.  It's football.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Quickdraw

People expecting Brent Venables to come here is laughable at best. He got way to good of a gig going for him to come here. And if he left to rebuild any team is just simply crazy. Chavis is as good as any DC out for hire.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 11, 2017, 06:12:43 pm
Did Steve Caldwell ever serve as DC for us? Or, just a position coach? He was a position coach under Chavis at TN. That's the best I've got.

Keith Burns
Joe Lee Dunn
Reggie Herring
Willy Robinson
Robb Smith
Paul Rhoads

I think Caldwell just coached defensive ends for us. I was first "introduced" to Coach Caldwell after my sophomore year in high school, when I attended a football camp at Arkansas State. That man was intense. I also remember that camp for the talk given by Scott Bull. I'm pretty sure he brought Bert Jones with him, too.

cc

Quote from: HogPharmer on December 11, 2017, 05:22:15 pm
It's clear that our team needs a good, young DC.

....With 25 years of SEC experience.

The Doogie Howser of D coordinators is who we need then at age 40, correct?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on December 11, 2017, 06:19:13 pm
I thought about Lindsey, and of course about Monte Kiffin before him.

I forgot about Monte. A good choice as well!

Everyone just remember, this is Hogvlle, where every opinion is sworn to as fact and everyone is an expert.  I have noted that DCs with great recruits are usually far better DCs than those with average or less recruits.  Obviously, this would tell us that only good recruiting classes have great DCs at their schools.

nightrider388

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 11, 2017, 06:12:43 pm

Keith Burns
Joe Lee Dunn
Reggie Herring
Willy Robinson
Robb Smith
Paul Rhoads

Adding to your list
Joe kines
John Thompson
Dave Womack

nightrider388

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22

All defenses ranked. Just a side note, I think Robb Smith is at Minnesota ar #29

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Wildhog on December 11, 2017, 05:08:20 pm
Why would I want to be held accountable for my decisions?!

Hey, I've made a career out of taking the check and leaving before they realize I don't know what I'm talking about.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Hoggish1 on December 11, 2017, 05:13:08 pm
The title of this thread is:  Sounds Like It's Chavis? Why would we be taking that bait with seven+ pages on the alleged word of Schaap?

It's December and our team isn't in a bowl would be my guess.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

SooieGeneris

Quote from: davril98 on December 11, 2017, 02:40:24 pm
Maybe it's Robert Parrish

What, is Hollywood doing a remake of Blackenstein?
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

hoglady

The odds of Venables coming was like 0.00000001%.
Surely, most realized that.

Chavis has a better chance of getting a job better than Arkansas than we do of getting a DC better than Chavis.
I would consider us very lucky to get him.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

IronHog

Not from me.

I've thought Chavis was just average for years.

He's past his prime and a bad fit for Arkansas.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

WPS007

longtimeHogfan

Has Jimbo offically let Chavis go?  Or expected to?
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

opineonswine

IronHog

Quote from: Peter Porker on December 11, 2017, 04:07:24 pm
Those teams that run the ball and chew up clock (Tennessee under Fuller, LSU under Miles) sure help a defense look good e.g. Robb in 2014.

Philon, Flowers, and Spaight were bad men too
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Triple Dog Dare

Some of the dumbest comments I have ever read concerning Chavis.  Honestly, I joined Hogville to see people's comments about firing BB.  Seeing the stupid things posted on this site made me feel superior.  However, the level of stupidity has made me move from smug to disgusted.

Hasta la vista morons.  (I apologize to the NORMAL  hog fans who also visit this site).

BTW-I have 2 degrees from Fayetteville, and have been supporting the Razorbacks since about 1965.

The Kig

Quote from: lakecityhog on December 11, 2017, 06:09:37 pm
                     Texas A&M                           Arkansas
Total D                59                                       100
Sacks                 T6                                       T102
D Efficiency         41                                        95

Chavis will be the best DC that Arkansas has had for a VERY long time.

The challenge that any offense like the one we are about to run places on the defense is enormous.  Whether we score or not, the defense is going to be back out on the field quickly. The days of 3 yards and a cloud of dust artificially inflating the defensive statistics because we keep the ball for 35-40 minutes are gone with a CCM offense.   

Considering that, getting a D to 59 is pretty remarkable.   If your D isn't aggressive (sacks, INTs), they are going to wear down late in big games.  Chavis knows that, which is why their Defensive Efficiency was still  pretty good in a year where A&M fired their HC. 

Chavis checks multiple boxes-

*  Been a DC for a spread team and still effective.
*  DC for several teams in the SEC
*  Coached/recruited in both LA & TX, areas that we focus on for players.

In the day of spread/HUNH offenses, I think the defensive goal shifts away from points/yards to other metrics like efficiency/turnovers.   Chavis would be an excellent hire.
Poker Porker

RockyMtnHog

There have been people on this page and other websites that have begged for a DC of Chavis's caliber for years.  I know a lot of folks mentioned him by name.  He did a great job at LSU for a few years and at Tennessee.  He cannot do any worse than what we have had for the past 5 years.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

kodiakisland

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on December 11, 2017, 05:44:12 pm
How were his defenses at TAMU?  I really don't recall being overwhelmed is all I'm saying.

AA probably had a different view than yours.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

mhuff

You don't win the Broyles  Award in 2011 and not be worthy

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: kodiakisland on December 11, 2017, 07:14:53 pm

Every team we played hit AA way more than they should have. That says more about our o-line than it does any defensive coordinator.

MasterChiefHog

Quote from: OtterHog™ on December 11, 2017, 01:34:24 pm
Never thought I'd see the day Arkansas fans would be upset about John Chavis as DC. Have you seen our last half dozen DC's?? This fanbase really is insane.
We're just pitiful. I have to agree with some on here that Chavis 10 years ago would have been a bigger hire than today. I'll have to look at A&M's def stats. That will tell us where he's at in the game today.
Quote from: oldman1015 on December 28, 2017, 11:40:00 am
Having a bad day or always a dick?
Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on December 06, 2019, 09:39:55 am
Sorry fo any misspells or paragraph s. I m on a scaffold.
Quote from: Hogwild on October 18, 2018, 08:23:47 amSince we are being optimistic, let's go full tilt boogie! If we win out, Ole Miss wins out, and Bama loses out. Then all we need is Miss. State to win against LSU & Texas A&M, and then have the Aggies upset LSU. 
And then we are hanging an SEC WEST Champion banner.

Hogfan46

Quote from: hoglady on December 11, 2017, 06:54:33 pm
The odds of Venables coming was like 0.00000001%.
Surely, most realized that.

Chavis has a better chance of getting a job better than Arkansas than we do of getting a DC better than Chavis.
I would consider us very lucky to get him.

This

King Kong

Knot2brite

I really don't care at this point who the D.C.  is as long as he gets assistants that can teach how to tackle at the college level. The swoop method or deliver a solid hit and don't wrap up method doesn't work at the college level like it did in high school...figure that part out first and then worry about scheme
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: kodiakisland on December 11, 2017, 07:14:53 pm

I was just saying that on the national stage I don't recall big headlines about TAMU's defense.  You probably won't know anything about that since you're a small view sort of guy.