Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How did we get here? how did Arkansas become the worst team in the sec?

Started by forrest city joe, November 04, 2017, 09:07:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

forrest city joe

My opinion it was not just Long fired CBP.that's not the only reason the program is in this bad a shape.but it was when Long and TPTB let it be known that winning was not the first Priority for the football coach.when is the last time you heard Jeff Long  that winning is first Priority for this coach? it will not get better until this leadership is gone.coach B and Jeff Long need to go.today was just pitiful and sad.need new leadership from the top.

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

forrest city joe

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 04, 2017, 09:08:30 pm
Very careful planning.
If this was a plan. it was a terrible one.Arkansas football may not of ever been great.but no way in hell it should ever be this bad. this is just sad.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Dark Helmet Hog

We got here because White hired Long and Long has been doing exactly what he was hired to do.

HardCore

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on November 04, 2017, 09:19:20 pm
We got here because White hired Long and Long has been doing exactly what he was hired to do.

And what he was chased out of Pitt for
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

Atlhogfan1

We got here because Bielema has failed to build the oline, defense is a mess which happens at Arkansas and he has failed to identify what players would give the team its best chance to win. Few examples. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

(notOM)Rebel123

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

East Clintwood

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on November 04, 2017, 09:22:38 pm
Bret Bielema

No, this goes way over Bert's head.  Jeff Long has been on decade long mission to tear down the importance on Razorback athletics.  He suffered a short term setback with BP's success but was able to squash that by firing the only successful football coach he's ever hired.  He's got the program right where he wants it.

If by some miracle, he's forced by others to fire Bert, then rest assured that Jeffy will find a suitable replacement to keep the program's success in check for the future.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

forrest city joe

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on November 04, 2017, 09:24:41 pm
Ole miss is worse. Florida is worse. VAndy is worse. Tennesee is worse. Than us.

We are terrible though
Nope. we are the worst team i have seen in the sec this year.i know we beat Ole Miss last week.PURE LUCK!should have lost that game.THIS IS REALLY BAD FOLKS!

Mr. Porkleone

Arkansas is at its all time low since the early 90's. Today was PITIFUL. Empty seats speaks for Itself.  Players have quit on this staff and the staff has quit. We are so badly coached and it shows. Leaving TJ Hammonds on the sideline for so long when he's the best RB on the team! Lastly we are needing athletes with speed size and in condition. I think CBB and K Anderson aren't great role models as they look very in healthy.  Change will be made after Missouri or this fan base will be set back for years to come.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Ole miss is worse. Florida is worse. VAndy is worse. Tennesee is worse. Than us.

We are terrible though

Well, we have the honor of being in last place in our division!  There's a very good chance we will finish the season there. Wonder if we'll get one of those '''participation trophy's"? 
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

SchrodingersHog

How did we get here?  How did Arkansas become the worst team in the SEC?

Step 1:  We joined the SEC.
Step 2:  We sold the heart and soul of the football program for that fat SEC check every year and for the donations of the wealthy boosters.
Step 3:  We believed we could compete in the SEC, based on three appearances in the SEC championship game that occurred when other programs were down or were on suspension.  We got suckered and we also fooled ourselves.  We listened to the media personalities, people who will always support a coach or AD until long after it is obvious there should be a change.
Step 4:  We stood by and idly allowed the PTB to mismanage the program, with the one exception of the fan uprising that saw the end of Nutt.

(We possibly aren't the worst team.  Just one of the worst.  In the bottom tier for sure.)

depressed_fan

Quote from: forrest city joe on November 04, 2017, 09:07:40 pm
My opinion it was not just Long fired CBP.that's not the only reason the program is in this bad a shape.but it was when Long and TPTB let it be known that winning was not the first Priority for the football coach.when is the last time you heard Jeff Long  that winning is first Priority for this coach? it will not get better until this leadership is gone.coach B and Jeff Long need to go.today was just pitiful and sad.need new leadership from the top.

If you believe in God or divine intervention or anything along those lines, I would say the root of the problem goes back to the way Houston Nutt and Frank Broyles were treated before they were let go. The same thing has happened at Tennessee with Fulmer.  When fans get overzealous and don't understand their place and when a consistent level of overachieving isn't good enough, we reap what we sow. We were warned by a lot of people in 2007 this was going to happen.   I hope we got our money's worth on the "Nuttin like being 0-2 in the SEC" banner.  Maybe that should be changed to "Nuttin like being 0-8" Since we've had some of those since.

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

10thPlanet

Quote from: depressed_fan on November 05, 2017, 03:56:17 am
If you believe in God or divine intervention or anything along those lines, I would say the root of the problem goes back to the way Houston Nutt and Frank Broyles were treated before they were let go. The same thing has happened at Tennessee with Fulmer.  When fans get overzealous and don't understand their place and when a consistent level of overachieving isn't good enough, we reap what we sow. We were warned by a lot of people in 2007 this was going to happen.   I hope we got our money's worth on the "Nuttin like being 0-2 in the SEC" banner.  Maybe that should be changed to "Nuttin like being 0-8" Since we've had some of those since.
I believe in God, but Nutt had you fooled.

DOGALUM

A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

Torqued pork

Pork Twain

Quote from: Torqued pork on November 05, 2017, 04:50:30 am
Yep. No need for a long analysis.
I guess if we are doing a "but for" analysis, it was a long-legged blond volleyball player.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

jgphillips3

You weren't in a Coma From 2009-2012 were you?  We temporarily had gotten exactly what we said was possible if we fired Nutt.  Then Jeff fired CBP, hired clown #1 and clown #2 to run the program and you have what we have.

Letsroll1200

Alot of people thought the Houston Nutt time was bad. I would take Houston Nutt right now over this 1 win SEC coach.

Hoggie17

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 05, 2017, 05:54:16 am
You weren't in a Coma From 2009-2012 were you?  We temporarily had gotten exactly what we said was possible if we fired Nutt.  Then Jeff fired CBP, hired clown #1 and clown #2 to run the program and you have what we have.
This

HardCore

An Athletic Director that Desires to be an academic Chancellor and a Head Coach who was being mentored and carried by a coaching legend and is now in over his head.
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

netteltonhog

Y'all remember John White don't you. That is where the demise of Razorback athletics started and it started with basketball.

GolfHog

It really all began when Frank was allowed to stay too long. The culture is wholly dysfunctional with no leadership above Long. The coaches hired here since Hatfield have been less than were available at every turn except for BP edited who should have never been hired.

Swestwill66

BINGO!!!

DeltaBoy

John BOY White laid the foundation and Jeffrey Integrity Long built on it! They did their best to turn us into Rice or Vandy!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

depressed_fan

The operative word is "temporary". No one predicted CBP tenure would end the way it did.  But the underlying tone was that CBP couldn't be trusted. If he won he was going to leave for greener pastures. Or, I guess if he won he'd get too big for his britches and do what he did. 

The thing is I don't think it matters who we hire next. Unless it's a homegrown guy who makes this his dream job b/c he loves the helmet, and also has a ton of coaching talent, we won't win more than CBB did.

HogCard

Because of the expectations from top down.  You perform to the expectations of your leader whether that be at home, work, athletics, etc.  As a team, we accept mediocrity (some players are exceptions). Over time it causes you grow up to be a poor citizen (home), lose business (work) or go to bottom of SEC (athletics).

BoarnSupremacy

It has been a dysfunctional program since 2005 starting with the forced addition of Malzahn and Springdale mess.  Nutt let ego get in way and banners started flying by the next year. After (before) 2007 the cupboard was bear and CBP had rough 2008-2009.  After two great years CBP was fired and the program has been on life support since.  10 of last 12 years has been a complete mess with incompetence, instability, and lack of leadership.  Its ridiculous the way we got here and way past time for all this dysfunction to stop.

Fan1958

Quote from: East Clintwood on November 04, 2017, 09:35:19 pm
No, this goes way over Bert's head.  Jeff Long has been on decade long mission to tear down the importance on Razorback athletics.  He suffered a short term setback with BP's success but was able to squash that by firing the only successful football coach he's ever hired.  He's got the program right where he wants it.

If by some miracle, he's forced by others to fire Bert, then rest assured that Jeffy will find a suitable replacement to keep the program's success in check for the future.

And just why in the hell is his mission to minimize the importance of athletics?  That's the most illogical statement that could be made.
Conservatives have always proudly proclaimed themselves to be conservative.  Liberals are now "Progressives"?  Must be terrible to have to hide what you really are.

I like smites.  That's how I know I'm really pissing off the "Progressives".

majp51

We are terrible though

I would beg to differ on Florida and Ole Miss. Not only do they have more SEC wins, both schools are playing with their version of JLS. May not in terms of calibre, but both are interim coaches.

An Argument could be made that Vandy and UT are worse than Arkansas, but... Therein lies the problem, it's arguable. In Year 5 of a Head Coach, it is now arguable that Arkansas is the worst team in the SEC.

elviscat

Mr. Integrity, is the one who put us here and his head needs to be the first one that rolls.

majp51

Quote from: Fan1958 on November 05, 2017, 09:17:59 am
And just why in the hell is his mission to minimize the importance of athletics?  That's the most illogical statement that could be made.

Well keep in mind, John White was one of those stupid eggheads who believed that if they got rid of athletics, that all that money would got to the Academic departments instead. Never once considered that Athletic revenue is mostly due to people spending discretionary entertainment dollars, and that Academics has never been considered entertainment to the masses, shoot most of the elite don't consider it  entertainment.

majp51

Quote from: BoarnSupremacy on November 05, 2017, 09:04:48 am
It has been a dysfunctional program since 2005 starting with the forced addition of Malzahn and Springdale mess.  Nutt let ego get in way and banners started flying by the next year. After (before) 2007 the cupboard was bear and CBP had rough 2008-2009.  After two great years CBP was fired and the program has been on life support since.  10 of last 12 years has been a complete mess with incompetence, instability, and lack of leadership.  Its ridiculous the way we got here and way past time for all this dysfunction to stop.

Actually if you want to throw the way back machine, 2005 is not far enough back. The problem first started in 1992 when JFB decided revenue was more important than "fit" and chose to join the SEC. Arkansas at the height of it's glory in the 1960's was still not an SEC school, I mean it would have done well in the SEC those years, but it still wasn't an SEC school. Too make matters worse Arkansas has tried to solve this by hiring, in order

1. A washed up Great coach from the ACC, who didn't understand the SEC
2. A fresh young Coach with no real experience whose one connection was being a former player when Arkansas was in the SWC, who never quite understood the SEC
3. A coach who did understand the SEC, and how to play with the big boys, but was a horribly flawed individual who self desctructed.
4. A washed up Big East and Big 10 coach who had very little clue left about any conference.
5. A coach from the Big 10, whose record was nice on paper, but again had no understanding of the SEC, and 5 years in seems to have no desire to learn the SEC.

If you look at the schools who have been successful in the 2000's it has been when they manage to hit gold with those legendary coaches (Meyer, Saban) or they hire people who truly understand the SEC. (There technically is a third option we will call the Auburn/Ole Miss option, namely get good coaches and cheat, but since that is illegal, we cannot count that one)

Before anyone gets too worked up about this being some whine about not being in the Big 12, or similar, conference. Notice the problem is twofold, it is joining the SEC AND not getting a head coach, except once, that actually understands the SEC.

Grunt

The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

ThisTeetsTaken

Fired Petrino, let John L Smith steer the ship off course, and them let a man that believes he's a great coach but is really just a good self-promoter slowly sink the ship over the course of five years.

***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

nesjunk

We haven't won a major bowl game in FORTY YEARS.  Hatfield, Crowe, Ford, Nutt, Petrino, Bielema... it doesn't sound like one single decision led us here. 

Pork Twain

Quote from: nesjunk on November 05, 2017, 03:56:49 pm
We haven't won a major bowl game in FORTY YEARS.  Hatfield, Crowe, Ford, Nutt, Petrino, Bielema... it doesn't sound like one single decision led us here. 
Much easier for these guys to blame Long, because he is not a good ole boy, hoping we all forgot how they used to hammer JFB because he was a good ole boy.  One thing they are solid on, it is never CBP's fault for anything.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: nesjunk on November 05, 2017, 03:56:49 pm

Major is subjective. I thought the Cotton bowl wins for Houston and Bobby was big for the program. Beating Texas in the cotton bowl is major.

hawg1221

We hired a coach that has failed to give the fans enough wins like 60% of the other coaches.

moses_007

We got here because JFB jumped us out of the SWC and into the SEC.  Arkansas has never had the talent to compete in the SEC, and I think Broyles knew that.  It wasn't a money thing then I don't think.  He did state he just wanted to be able to play Georgia.

The SWC would still be alive and well today had Arkansas never left that conference.  Amazing how important Arkansas was to the SWC, isn't it?  The conference literally fell apart right after Arkansas left.

We've fielded three great teams in the 26 years we've been in the SEC, the 2006 team coached by Nutt and the 2010 and 2011 teams coached by Petrino.  We still haven't won an SEC championship in football, however, and we may never win one. 

Sivad

moses_007

Take a look at the coaches we've had since we've been in the SEC.  Every single one of them turned out to be a mistake.  The only good one was Petrino, and his own mistake did him in.  Crowe, Ford, Nutt, Smith and Bielema all turned out to be wrong coaching hires.  Bielema is the absolute worst one, imho worse than Jack Crowe. 

When athletic departments continually make wrong coaching hires, they have what you've seen here over the last quarter century.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

We are terrible though

I agree, we suck less than those, but our situation is very precarious as well...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Etowah

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on November 05, 2017, 03:38:21 pm
Fired Petrino, let John L Smith steer the ship off course, and them let a man that believes he's a great coach but is really just a good self-promoter slowly sink the ship over the course of five years.

Here is your answer.

smb

GeorgiaHOG

WhenPigsFly

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on November 04, 2017, 09:19:20 pm

This. Times 100.  Do not underestimate the role John White had in this process.