Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas mens' sports in SEC.

Started by oldbooniehog, January 06, 2018, 06:19:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AirWarren

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on January 07, 2018, 04:53:43 pm
Or any going back to BYU.

TRUTH: There is no historical reason to expect us to be SEC relevant.

Sad but true. We have never been a factor in the SEC.

okrazorback

Say what you want. What we need is a good coach. Maybe we have him But if he is good we'll probably  find a reason to fire him.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: AP85 on January 07, 2018, 05:11:44 pm
Sad but true. We have never been a factor in the SEC.

Yes we have.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Freebrd

Quote from: oldbooniehog on January 06, 2018, 06:19:27 pm
Arkansas joined the SEC in 1991 in all sports but football, and football in 1992.

If you go with 1991 as the join date, that's 27 years.

If you go go with the 1992 join date for football, that's 26 years.

Over that time period, the football, basketball and baseball teams have combined to win exactly 1 SEC title game.

That was the basketball team in 2000, or 18 years ago

Numbers. Do. Not. Lie.

That is what you should expect of Razorback football, baseball and basketball combined.

One SEC title every 27 or 26 years.

woo pigs, etc.
One title in a quarter of a century should be enough historical data to prove Arkansas needs to be in the BIG XII. 

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Freebrd on January 07, 2018, 08:04:17 pm
One title in a quarter of a century should be enough historical data to prove Arkansas needs to be in the BIG XII. 

I don't think that the Big 12 is the correct place. The Big 12 can disband in 6 seasons. So forming a new conference with some of those programs might be a good idea.

hawgmasta

The basketball and baseball sec title games are mostly irrelevant. It's all about the regular and post season.

Six teams have won the sec title in football since 1992. So there's eight other teams in the same boat as us.

WaltonCollege

Quote from: Hawg2afault on January 06, 2018, 08:28:08 pm
Well, 40+ National championships ranks #1 in the SEC and in the top 4 in the NATION.  No other SEC school is even close to what Arkansas has done.

Bama is shivering in fear at our 40 track 'ships? Get real. Perception is reality, stick to sports that people care about not the PC bull.

LZH

Quote from: WaltonCollege on January 07, 2018, 10:26:30 pm
Bama is shivering in fear at our 40 track 'ships? Get real. Perception is reality, stick to sports that people care about not the PC bull.

Bang

oldhawg

Reference overall football records:

Arkansas 1958 - 1989 (31 years): 259 - 96 - 8
Clemson 1952 - 1983 (31 years):  179 - 136 -9

Arkansas 1993 - 2017 (24 years): 166 - 134 - 1
Clemson 1993 - 2017 (24 years):  200 - 104

I am struck by the similarity in records of the two programs, just in reverse.  Clemson has successfully moved into the 21st century, while Arkansas has regressed.  Leadership issues?

Although we can often use statistics to support our opinions, I am still of the opinion that long term, Arkansas can make the same type of turn around that Clemson did ---- with the appropriate leadership.

HogFoo

Quote from: oldbooniehog on January 06, 2018, 06:19:27 pm
Arkansas joined the SEC in 1991 in all sports but football, and football in 1992.

If you go with 1991 as the join date, that's 27 years.

If you go go with the 1992 join date for football, that's 26 years.

Over that time period, the football, basketball and baseball teams have combined to win exactly 1 SEC title game.

That was the basketball team in 2000, or 18 years ago

Numbers. Do. Not. Lie.

That is what you should expect of Razorback football, baseball and basketball combined.

One SEC title every 27 or 26 years.

woo pigs, etc.
yes, but, you say sports.  Did you purposely leave out the track team to try to wade in pity?

How many times has the Hogs played in the title game tho?  That to me would also be a very important aspect.  I do know that, while we've not won, and that sucks, we've played in the title games quite a few times.  And track has won it nearly ever year.  Just saying.  I'm 2006 the Hogs were the only SEC team to EVER play in the conf. Champ game in football, basketball, and baseball!  Only team to EVER do it.  We didn't win those games, but making it an achievement no one else has did in the history of the SEC.  Yes, it'd be good to win the conf. Championship,  but we're doing ok.  Basketball is on an uptick.  Baseball is on constant uptick, and I believe football will be back.

While you did mention Petrinos best year we finished 3rd, that was also the year that had we finished off lsu, who played for the title, we would have played Bama for the title. It really doesn't matter if ya win conf. Or not. It didn't that year.

I know some are being downers cuz the basketball team has lost a couple games on the road.  The ones upset must be the ones who forgot what everyone originally thought would be the case for this team.  That it would have some losses early and by mid season would gell and really come on towards the end of the season.  Some got their hopes set really high when we won tough games early.  Some also forget the SEC this year is probably the toughest it's been in 10yrs or more.  I'm not worried about it.  As long as we can win at home, by mid season I think the road games will be won too!   

Football, watch and see, but, we are going to have a great product for everyone to enjoy.  I predict by year 3 or 4 we'll be as successful as any year Petrino was here!

Enough with the oh woe is me threads btw.
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

Peter Porker

Quote from: oldhawg on January 08, 2018, 12:01:05 am
Reference overall football records:

Arkansas 1958 - 1989 (31 years): 259 - 96 - 8
Clemson 1952 - 1983 (31 years):  179 - 136 -9

Arkansas 1993 - 2017 (24 years): 166 - 134 - 1
Clemson 1993 - 2017 (24 years):  200 - 104

I am struck by the similarity in records of the two programs, just in reverse.  Clemson has successfully moved into the 21st century, while Arkansas has regressed.  Leadership issues?

Although we can often use statistics to support our opinions, I am still of the opinion that long term, Arkansas can make the same type of turn around that Clemson did ---- with the appropriate leadership.

We changed conferences. We can't run with the big dogs.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Occams Razorback

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, but please reconsider any Big 12 talk

If it were all Texas schools and maybe OU and OSU, we could make it fit - however, hell no to KU, Iowa State and KSU - we are Southerners damnit

For the bajillionth time, we are not Midwesterners

If you consider all sports, we outrank every other school in the whole SEC at the moment (Learfield)  - does that not show that we are more than competitive?
If it makes crumbs, it's probably not good for you.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Occams Razorback on January 08, 2018, 11:08:35 am
Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, but please reconsider any Big 12 talk

If it were all Texas schools and maybe OU and OSU, we could make it fit - however, hell no to KU, Iowa State and KSU - we are Southerners damnit

For the bajillionth time, we are not Midwesterners

If you consider all sports, we outrank every other school in the whole SEC at the moment (Learfield)  - does that not show that we are more than competitive?

Football is all that matters to the men who wear boot cut wranglers.  Everybody else wears them skinny leggings!