Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

INformal Poll - New Darksider Nation (Week 3 complete)

Started by Doug, September 17, 2012, 09:40:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

So... where do you stand after Week 3 is now done?

I support both Jeff Long and John L Smith
47 (5.4%)
Jeff Long Darksider (I support John L Smith)
12 (1.4%)
John L Smith Darksider (I support Jeff Long)
354 (40.8%)
Complete Darksider v²
455 (52.4%)

Total Members Voted: 857

Doug

I'll be doing this once a week so I can monitor the progress of people's decision. If you voted in the last one, please vote in this one as well.

Last poll that went up, 792 of you voted. Let's try to get this closer to 1,000 this time.

Keep in mind that this poll has NOTHING to do with the players or the Hogs themselves. We do stand behind and support our Student Athletes. We're only talking about John Smith and Jeff Long.

Keep it civil and respectful. If you can't behave, you'll be bounced for a minimum of two weeks.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

Root Down

full blown since loss to ULM. 

the streets will flow with the blood of the unbelievers!  Mine eyes have seen the glory of top program status.

The Kig

Still not a complete convert...

May take the December hire before I fully make a decision on Long.
Poker Porker

Oliver

deblaylock06

Last week I voted as a JLS darksider (tried to support Jeff Long and give benefit of the doubt) but now that we've lost 2 embarrassing games and I see the same attitude from him as I see from our coaches, I'm v2.  I can't stand sitting around waiting for something good to happen.  These coaches aren't trying and our AD seems to be just fine with the product we're putting on the field.  It's embarrassing when we just accept utter failure.

Fire them both, they aren't doing their jobs anyways

Ramble on Barbershop

member # 407

You are no better than anyone, you are just as good but no better, be HUMBLE and you will see the difference in relationships. He who can be carefree yet mindful at the same time, has found the secret of living in enlightened PEACE.

deblaylock06

Quote from: The Kig on September 17, 2012, 09:47:21 am
Still not a complete convert...

May take the December hire before I fully make a decision on Long.

This is the reason why I voted JLS darksider last week but at this point I'm hoping he won't be around to make that coaching decision.  I'm just losing faith in him.  He doesn't seem to care.  Long as he has his Integrity. 

deblaylock06

How can anyone support JLS but not Jeff Long?  If you support JLS you should support Jeff Long for making that moronic hire am I right?  I don't get it. 

The_Iceman

I support Jeff Long making the next hire. Petrino and Anderson were both good hires, regardless of how he got there. I believe Long and the BOT can get together and get a solid next head coach.

He made the right choice with Bobby because Bobby made the decisions that led to his own firing. Bobby let this team, program, and state down. Time to move on from him.

ifghog

September 17, 2012, 09:55:00 am #9 Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 01:21:12 pm by Corbett (ifghog) Sutton
I started supporting both. After ULM I was still in Longs corner. Today....eh...I guess I still am but not near as much. We keep losing and if he doesn't show some leadership and keeps hiding......I believe I could be swayed to complete darksider real easy..

The Great Hogsby

Quote from: deblaylock06 on September 17, 2012, 09:52:39 am
How can anyone support JLS but not Jeff Long?  If you support JLS you should support Jeff Long for making that moronic hire am I right?  I don't get it.

I was just thinking the same thing.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." - Jack Handey

The Great Hogsby

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 17, 2012, 09:54:55 am
I support Jeff Long making the next hire. Petrino and Anderson were both good hires, regardless of how he got there. I believe Long and the BOT can get together and get a solid next head coach.

He made the right choice with Bobby because Bobby made the decisions that led to his own firing. Bobby let this team, program, and state down. Time to move on from him.

Well, let's hope that another great hire falls in his lap like the two you mentioned and that he doesn't have to actually use his own judgment like when he was hiring Grobe.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." - Jack Handey

EastexHawg

Jeff Long named a Walmart greeter our head coach and the team has gone to heck in a handbasket.

Shocking.  Simply shocking.

Fire Jeff Long.  Yesterday.

GoHogzzGo

I went JLS dark-side. As we all know he blew it and bad. Drove the corvette off the cliff into an exploding volcano.

For me personally, Long has a little bit of room left with my support. But not much. I don't think JLS was a great hire, but no way anyone could have imagined it being this bad. Was a tough spot with the BP stuff going down when it did. I don't know whether the BP hire was just opportunity or brilliant. Will the next coach be a lazy hire or a get, no way to know.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

The_Iceman

Quote from: The Great Hogsby on September 17, 2012, 09:56:54 am
Well, let's hope that another great hire falls in his lap like the two you mentioned and that he doesn't have to actually use his own judgment like when he was hiring Grobe.

I'm glad we didn't hire Grobe, but at the time, wouldn't a coach that built a terrible Wake Forest football program to the point where they were an Orange Bowl team not at least interest you?

The Great Hogsby

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 17, 2012, 10:09:49 am
I'm glad we didn't hire Grobe, but at the time, wouldn't a coach that built a terrible Wake Forest football program to the point where they were an Orange Bowl team not at least interest you?

Now or then?

Now, no way, we can do better.

I'm not saying he's a bad coach, I'm saying that he is not a GREAT hire. He would probably have us teetering around 8 wins a season which is no longer acceptable here.

secfan30

Losing to ULM caused me to join. Was almost there in April already

The_Iceman

September 17, 2012, 10:18:29 am #17 Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 10:21:17 am by The_Iceman
Quote from: The Great Hogsby on September 17, 2012, 10:15:55 am
Now or then?

Now, no way, we can do better.

I'm not saying he's a bad coach, I'm saying that he is not a GREAT hire. He would probably have us teetering around 8 wins a season which is no longer acceptable here.

Then, at the time we were looking at hiring him.

Now, of course no way. Charlie Strong is the best reasonable candidate out there. I'd like a Patterson, Peterson, or Carroll type hire, but its just not likely.

hobhog

Not going dark. It is a cancer to the program. Let's see who the next hire is........

The Great Hogsby

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 17, 2012, 10:09:49 am

I see that you meant before Petrino was hired. Grobe would have been a very solid, very vanilla hire for a team willing to stay mediocre.

The Great Hogsby

I am now a complete darksider.

I will, however, ask Longs forgiveness if I have underestimated him. If he has a REAL football coach waiting for the season to end, he will earn my respect.

I am not holding my breath.

Tim Harris

Quote from: The Great Hogsby on September 17, 2012, 10:19:07 am
I see that you meant before Petrino was hired. Grobe would have been a very solid, very vanilla hire for a team willing to stay mediocre.

Clearly Petrino is a superior coach and I doubt anyone will argue with that (well this is Hogville so I can't guarantee it).  At the time though Grobe wasn't really a bad choice based on where our program was at.

I voted with Long.  I'm willing to allow him to make this hire before passing judgement.  He was put in a ** situation and made a decision to try and keep things going for this season.  Obviously that blew up in his face.

The_Iceman

Quote from: The Great Hogsby on September 17, 2012, 10:21:21 am
I am now a complete darksider.

I will, however, ask Longs forgiveness if I have underestimated him. If he has a REAL football coach waiting for the season to end, he will earn my respect.

I am not holding my breath.

What is your definition of a "Real" football coach?

hogdogcrazy

Darksider until Long us gone.  The cancer must be removed before healing can begin.  Party's over Jeff.  No more dollars from me to you.
Smites are Badges of Honor around this place.

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogdogcrazy on September 17, 2012, 10:28:09 am
Darksider until Long us gone.  The cancer must be removed before healing can begin.  Party's over Jeff.  No more dollars from me to you.

No matter what, no matter who he hires, you are a darksider until Long is gone?

Newhopehog

Long gets paid(quite well) to handle the ** positions he is put in and he totally failed at this one....he is destroying the cash cow for UA athletics. The only thing JLS should  be doing is accepting his induction into the clown hall of fame...Anyone who listened to him talk for five mins should have know that hiring him would be a disaster...

The Great Hogsby

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 17, 2012, 10:24:35 am
What is your definition of a "Real" football coach?

You know, I shouldn't say real coach. Grobe is a real coach, a successful one. Grobe would probably have us finishing 3rd or 4th in the west most years maybe pushing for the top spot on down years for Bama and LSU.

In order for us to keep the momentum up that Petrino started we would have to have a home run hire that not only excites the fan base, but the recruits too. Do I know who that is? Nope, none of us do. I will say that I would rather have a high energy up and coming guy than a run of the mill "good" coach.

Good coaches don't seem to make it in the SEC.

Tim Harris

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 17, 2012, 10:30:24 am

Unfortunately there are many posters on here who have that feeling and they will set their expectations so high that no coach will meet them.

The Great Hogsby

Quote from: Tim Harris on September 17, 2012, 10:23:56 am
Clearly Petrino is a superior coach and I doubt anyone will argue with that (well this is Hogville so I can't guarantee it).  At the time though Grobe wasn't really a bad choice based on where our program was at.

I voted with Long.  I'm willing to allow him to make this hire before passing judgement.  He was put in a ** situation and made a decision to try and keep things going for this season.  Obviously that blew up in his face.

I agree 100%

Now the question is, should he reassign JLS to show the fans that he isn't too afraid to admit his mistake? Is that the right thing to do?

Tim Harris

Quote from: The Great Hogsby on September 17, 2012, 10:42:36 am
Now the question is, should he reassign JLS to show the fans that he isn't too afraid to admit his mistake? Is that the right thing to do?

I personally don't see what it will gain us.  We would be replacing 1 interim coach with another 1.  Based on how we have looked the last 2 weeks I'm not sure anyone on our current staff would be doing any better.  I'm of the mindset to just let this season finish out.  Then hopefully we will have someone lined up by early December and they can start rebuilding.

The_Iceman

Quote from: The Great Hogsby on September 17, 2012, 10:42:36 am
I agree 100%

Not yet. We need to see what this team can do with Tyler Wilson as the QB.

JLS didn't have that in the 2nd half of ULM and Bama. Is that an excuse for losing against ULM? No, although they did look good and should have beat Auburn as well.

If JLS is 1-5, I say can him and let Horton finish it out.

lookinupthehill

JLS is a bigger clown that Nutt and that's hard to accomplish.  I can't fault Long for this because he had to fire Bobby and no one knew what a train wreck Smith was going to bring.  Everyone thought the players and the staff that remained were good enough to do it on their own.  No coach was going to take the job in April and how many coaches were out there that would take a 10 month gig?  With those limited options, I hold no fault on Long until after February.  We'll see how the new coach and staff shapes out then.

hogdogcrazy

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 17, 2012, 10:30:24 am

He fired the best Ill ever see on our sidelines and hired JLSmith.   That's all I need to know about Jeff Long.   Fire that SOB today and send a refund to us poor saps who "Answered his freakin Call".

EastexHawg

Quote from: Tim Harris on September 17, 2012, 10:34:46 am
Unfortunately there are many posters on here who have that feeling and they will set their expectations so high that no coach will meet them.

Their expectations were being met quite nicely until Long fired the elite coach we had.  And please, I've heard the morality police's arguments.

There is middle ground between Jeff Long high fiving Petrino and asking "do you have any blonde bimbos for me" and firing him.  Punishment could have been meted out, and Long could have made stressed the university's disappointment and desire for saint-like morality, without firing our meal ticket and gutting the football program.

Not every criminal gets the death penalty.  Some get probation, some get to pick up trash on the side of the highway, some are released based on time already spent in jail, some spend a couple of days in lockup, and some get a lethal injection.  There are degrees of punishment exacted every day in our society.

Unfortunately, Jeff Long had the authority to make the decision and he decided flushing football down the toilet was his best option.

The Great Hogsby

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 17, 2012, 10:45:15 am
Not yet. We need to see what this team can do with Tyler Wilson as the QB.

JLS didn't have that in the 2nd half of ULM and Bama. Is that an excuse for losing against ULM? No, although they did look good and should have beat Auburn as well.

If JLS is 1-5, I say can him and let Horton finish it out.

I can go with that but I'm not sure many fans agree.

I still see 6-6 being very possible this year with a healthy Tyler Wilson.

CallThemHawgs!

pigture perfect

I'm definitely a JLS darksider. JL I don't care if he stays or goes. I think he fairly powerless at this point anyway.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogdogcrazy on September 17, 2012, 10:50:07 am
He fired the best Ill ever see on our sidelines and hired JLSmith.   That's all I need to know about Jeff Long.   Fire that SOB today and send a refund to us poor saps who "Answered his freakin Call".

The best you'll ever see? How do you know that?

bpoecell

You consistently demonstrate the rationale, intelligence and maturity of a spoiled five-year-old who had his favorite toy taken away

mrfranchize

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

PygmalionEffect

Jeff Long was put in a bad situation by BP but I just don't think JL handled it right by being so hasty and was too worried what the fickle national media was going to think about us that week.  JL was too impulsive.
Eliminate the media scrutiny involved in this and you basically had an employee who was fired for being asked a direct question from his boss about his sex life and initially not answering that question truthfully. 

How Long could have worked with John Smith for 2 years and thought this was the guy to bring in as interim head coach confirms that he is not qualified to make the next head coaching hire.

Long also didn't disclose to the media/fans at the time of the hire that Smith had a pending bankruptcy.  This shows a tendency to cover up uncomfortable facts and so Long doesn't measure up to his own lofty integrity standards.

So Long has no choice but to fire himself, which I doubt he will do since he has such a poor record on hire/fire decisions.
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

TuckFexas

I want JLS gone, period. I still support Long though. Fallen in his lap or not, he's made good hires since he's been here (I don't blame JLS hire on Long, that falls on Petrino). He is working to make our programs top notch when it comes to facilities/coaches. Until he makes a permanent hire that makes me scratch my head and ask what the hell he was thinking, I don't think my opinion will change.

The timing of the Petrino firing was horrible and I wish BP could've been penalized without the loss of his job but I understand why he was fired. It's damn near impossible to get a good coach that time of year. At the time, the JLS hire made sense to me since he had previous HC experience and was very familiar with our program. Obviously, it was a mistake but I don't feel it was an obvious mistake at the time.

Since the ULM debacle, I wanted JLS fired. But I realize he's already an interim, so what's the use in firing an interim just to have another interim? This season's goals are already not going to be achieved, so we're gonna have to lay in the bed that BP made when he messed up. It sucks, but I've seen more positives than negatives when it comes to Long.
Famous quote.
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com
Become my friend on Facebook: www.facebook.com
The post above may or may not accurately reflect the views of TuckFexas.
Yes, they let me out of the Tavern on a day pass.

Grunt

^this^
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

DOGALUM

I'm so far out on JLS that I can't see back in. 

But I'm ok with Jeff Long.   
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

BloodRedHog

Handling all your mortgage and home financing needs...

hogdogcrazy

Quote from: bpoecell on September 17, 2012, 11:16:25 am
You consistently demonstrate the rationale, intelligence and maturity of a spoiled five-year-old who had his favorite toy taken away

Right. And I'm quite sure your type of ilk is just fine being a doormat.  I'll stick to the side that actually expects something for our investment.  You guys can take the doormat (integrity) section all to yourself.

hogdogcrazy

Quote from: TuckFexas on September 17, 2012, 12:58:32 pm
I want JLS gone, period. I still support Long though. Fallen in his lap or not, he's made good hires since he's been here (I don't blame JLS hire on Long, that falls on Petrino). He is working to make our programs top notch when it comes to facilities/coaches. Until he makes a permanent hire that makes me scratch my head and ask what the hell he was thinking, I don't think my opinion will change.

The timing of the Petrino firing was horrible and I wish BP could've been penalized without the loss of his job but I understand why he was fired. It's damn near impossible to get a good coach that time of year. At the time, the JLS hire made sense to me since he had previous HC experience and was very familiar with our program. Obviously, it was a mistake but I don't feel it was an obvious mistake at the time.

Since the ULM debacle, I wanted JLS fired. But I realize he's already an interim, so what's the use in firing an interim just to have another interim? This season's goals are already not going to be achieved, so we're gonna have to lay in the bed that BP made when he messed up. It sucks, but I've seen more positives than negatives when it comes to Long.

LMAO at making good hires.  He did hire JLClown you may recall.

RazrRila99

Im behind Jeff Long until December at least.  He makes a big hire, Ill continue, he hires someone who is mediocre at best, then yeah Ill change. 

JLS needs to be gone or given his nads back so that he will get in the assistants faces.  Although, I think he lost the head coach fire when he was let go from Michigan State after blowing that ND game. 

TuckFexas

Quote from: hogdogcrazy on September 17, 2012, 01:45:45 pm
LMAO at making good hires.  He did hire JLClown you may recall.

Maybe you should read the entire post before commenting, there's even an explanation of my opinion included.
Famous quote.
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com
Become my friend on Facebook: www.facebook.com
The post above may or may not accurately reflect the views of TuckFexas.
Yes, they let me out of the Tavern on a day pass.