Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A stat I hadn't look at until now.........

Started by rude1, February 10, 2009, 12:19:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rude1

I now understand why the book on us is to double down quickly on Washington, it's not because they don't fear our shooters it's because he is averaging 2.47 turnovers for every assist he makes. 17 assists to 42 turnovers. That means if you double down on him hard, he is almost 2 and a half times more likely to throw it away than he is to find the open man for a score. He must become a better passer than that if he is going to help this team more. Not trying to point the finger at Mike because he has been our most reliable player, I just didn't realize he was that bad of a passer as is most of the team. When you look at the turnover stats, only Britt is solid with the ball.

311Hog

Yes this is something i noticed as well, our half court offense is totally disrupted because of this.  The moment our bigs learn to both pass out of doubles in the post and be ready to receive bullet passes in the post from crazy angles we will see a large step forward.

This is also a reason IMHO why Clarke is struggling, when teams double down on Washington someone has to be open, and the wisdom is that Washington has to either make a move or make a quick pass to swing the ball around to find the over play which could be Clarke on the perimeter, but often teams never use Clarke's man to double because he is such a good shooter.

When we have an offensive liability on the court such as Sanchez defenses have been totally playing off him in order to auto double Washington.

Speedracer

I agree, he doesn't do well with the double team.  I wish he'd learn to recognize it faster.  Of course, if he did, I can't say that our ball movement around the peremiter would make the other team pay.
Like smites bother me.

rude1

Quote from: Speedracer on February 10, 2009, 12:41:34 pm
I agree, he doesn't do well with the double team.  I wish he'd learn to recognize it faster.  Of course, if he did, I can't say that our ball movement around the peremiter would make the other team pay.
Unfortunately when you look at the turnover stat, most of the people we have that handle the ball the majority of the time, are extremely shaky with it. No wonder this team is 1-7.

311Hog

another thing this team could really use is a big with a jump shot besides Washington.

Sanchez would be so dangerous if he could hit a 10 to 15 foot jumper once or twice a game.

Calihog

Quote from: 311Hog on February 10, 2009, 12:56:29 pm
another thing this team could really use is a big with a jump shot besides Washington.

Sanchez would be so dangerous if he could hit a 10 to 15 foot jumper once or twice a game.

Absolutely, somebody big enough to get a mid range jumper off and make it would help a lot.

Granny fan

Quote from: rude1 on February 10, 2009, 12:19:16 pm
I now understand why the book on us is to double down quickly on Washington, it's not because they don't fear our shooters it's because he is averaging 2.47 turnovers for every assist he makes. 17 assists to 42 turnovers. That means if you double down on him hard, he is almost 2 and a half times more likely to throw it away than he is to find the open man for a score. He must become a better passer than that if he is going to help this team more. Not trying to point the finger at Mike because he has been our most reliable player, I just didn't realize he was that bad of a passer as is most of the team. When you look at the turnover stats, only Britt is solid with the ball.

This is where we were so solid with Corliss at that position.  When they doubled down on him, he could pass (and quickly) to one of our three point shooters.  If Washington can get better at this, our team will improve.  IMO

mykidsdad

Quote from: Granny fan on February 10, 2009, 02:03:14 pm
This is where we were so solid with Corliss at that position.  When they doubled down on him, he could pass (and quickly) to one of our three point shooters.  If Washington can get better at this, our team will improve.  IMO

Washington is a basketball 'roach motel'. The ball goes in, it doesn't come out. Teams that play us knows it so they double down and let him beat them by himself against a double team. He is not going to pass and likely you will get a turnover out of it.