Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A Sprinkle of Positivity

Started by hawgchill, February 09, 2009, 04:22:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgchill

Is needed with this onslaught of PANIC!!

myth-Hog have no impact players
fact- M-Wash/C-Fortson/J-Henry ae fabulous
       foundations(EACH w/ All SEC potential)

myth-Coach Pel can't recruit competetivley
fact- Coach Donovan@ Fla WILL correct you there
       as Coach Pel was huge for their first(2000)
       Final 4 squad.

myth-We MUST get 5* prospects to win.
fact- ScottyT/LenzieHowell/CoreyBeck and more
      would run GlendonA/DarnellRob/OluFam
      and others out of the gym
      ANY time/day/place.

myth-Because of OU/Tex results we should
        dominate everyone
fact-Because of OU/Tex results we don't
      dominate everyone

Biggus/Opine/Tom/Lanny/Stewie/Coach Richardson and more have request patience from the fanbase.

Believe it or not, we're ALREADY good,
with a chance to be GREAT very soon.
V-E-R-Y soon... You'll see.

MUST get more players and create depth.

ADD the proper mix of length/athletisism to the
incoming class of Powell/Farmer (coupla'6-7s)
and the seasoned/battle tested pups.

And OUR press and dominance WILL be back
in full effect!!   

ANYbody agree??

Respect  : )

HeathWimp

Quote from: hawgchill on February 09, 2009, 04:22:49 pm
  Is needed with this onslaught of PANIC!!

myth-Hog have no impact players
fact- M-Wash/C-Fortson/J-Henry ae fabulous
       foundations(EACH w/ All SEC potential)

myth-Coach Pel can't recruit competetivley
fact- Coach Donovan@ Fla WILL correct you there
       as Coach Pel was huge for their first(2000)
       Final 4 squad.

myth-We MUST get 5* prospects to win.
fact- ScottyT/LenzieHowell/CoreyBeck and more
      would run GlendonA/DarnellRob/OluFam
      and others out of the gym
      ANY time/day/place.

myth-Because of OU/Tex results we should
        dominate everyone
fact-Because of OU/Tex results we don't
      dominate everyone

Biggus/Opine/Tom/Lanny/Stewie/Coach Richardson and more have request patience from the fanbase.

Believe it or not, we're ALREADY good,
with a chance to be GREAT very soon.
V-E-R-Y soon... You'll see.

MUST get more players and create depth.

ADD the proper mix of length/athletisism to the
incoming class of Powell/Farmer (coupla'6-7s)
and the seasoned/battle tested pups.

And OUR press and dominance WILL be back
in full effect!!   

ANYbody agree??

Respect  : )

Sorry big guy, but I do not agree.  I do not see this program pulling itself out of the gutter any time soon.  I think that Pel is an improvement over Heath, but that is like saying the current recession is an improvement over the Great Depression.  I think that Pel will be gone in 2 years tops, and we will try again.  Sadly, it simply may not be possible to make this a competitive basketball program again.
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

Hogbody

Quote from: HeathWimp on February 11, 2009, 08:16:19 am

Sorry big guy, but I do not agree.  I do not see this program pulling itself out of the gutter any time soon.  I think that Pel is an improvement over Heath, but that is like saying the current recession is an improvement over the Great Depression.  I think that Pel will be gone in 2 years tops, and we will try again.  Sadly, it simply may not be possible to make this a competitive basketball program again.

ah the sky is falling!

HeathWimp

Quote from: Hogbody on February 11, 2009, 08:18:31 am

ah the sky is falling!

No, the sky is not falling.  I just don't care that much about this team any more.  Lots of others feel this way too.

Don't get me wrong, I really hope that Pel gets it turned around, and I will always cheer for the team. But when you look at all of the glaring weaknesses, and the lack of major recruits coming next year, it is hard to get excited. 
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

arkjay19

Quote from: HeathWimp on February 11, 2009, 08:23:55 am
No, the sky is not falling.  I just don't care that much about this team any more.  Lots of others feel this way too.

Don't get me wrong, I really hope that Pel gets it turned around, and I will always cheer for the team. But when you look at all of the glaring weaknesses, and the lack of major recruits coming next year, it is hard to get excited. 

Fans like you don't make it any easier.

Franchise Hawgs

Gotta love the fans that only care (interested) when times are good, yet they post 1700 times on a message board giving their opinion about what is wrong with our program.

Beaverfever

Quote from: Franchise Hawgs on February 11, 2009, 09:29:23 am
Gotta love the fans that only care (interested) when times are good, yet they post 1700 times on a message board giving their opinion about what is wrong with our program.
I think them posting 1700 times shows they care.  Some are just more pessimistic than others.  It doesn't make them bad fans or fairweather.

Kris P. Bacon

I love watching this team. I have been at the U of A for 6 years (Ungrad and Grad school) and I think this is the most exciting team I have gotten to watch. And they will only get better.
"I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
– Winston Churchill

RazorbakEuphoricDysphoria

Fair weather fans...gotta love em, WIMP says it all :puke:

Queen Hog

Thanks for the positive post.  This team will get there.  We have had suspensions, injuries, the Marcus Monk situation, and a player who quit.  We are playing a short bench.  I believe this team has heart.  It's been tough.  We need to stand behind them.  They are OUR team...win or lose. 

Go HOGS...beat Auburn!!!!  :razorback:
I lub me some HOGS!!!

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.
Helen Keller

HawgAdvocate

February 11, 2009, 12:57:07 pm #10 Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 12:58:38 pm by HawgAdvocate

Billy Donavan (& Pel) didn't have a winning season at Florida until year 3. Pel didn't have a winning season at South Alabama until year 4.

And that was without a veteran squad getting gutted from year one to year two like Pel had happen.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

aristotle

Nice words, hawgchill

It's always hard to suffer through losing periods, but this team was expected to do this. We lost nearly 90% of our offense from last year. We were picked to finish last in the SECW ( on a down year for the league ).

Let the Texas and OU game show you what we have to look forward to. Don't let it discourage you, but give you optimism. Patience, my friends.

razorbackfan

It could be said that since we were picked to finish last in the SEC West, which btw might have had something to do with losing half of our team (you know, the half that did all of the scoring & all that!) that maybe just maybe it was going to be a tough year.  That being said in our down year we are 13-8 with victories over 2 Top 10 teams, one of which is the #2 team in the nation who has only lost to US!  I know some people will never be satisfied no matter what anyone says, it's their nature.  But we couldn't beat teams like that if we didn't have talent to build on.

HeathWimp

Quote from: razorbackfan on February 11, 2009, 01:43:14 pm
It could be said that since we were picked to finish last in the SEC West, which btw might have had something to do with losing half of our team (you know, the half that did all of the scoring & all that!) that maybe just maybe it was going to be a tough year.  That being said in our down year we are 13-8 with victories over 2 Top 10 teams, one of which is the #2 team in the nation who has only lost to US!  I know some people will never be satisfied no matter what anyone says, it's their nature.  But we couldn't beat teams like that if we didn't have talent to build on.

The complete and total implosion since conference play started is what is causing me to lose interest.  Yes, as those who are chastising me have noted, I realize that this is a rebuilding year.  But it is hard to get excited about games after starting 1-7, and blowing the games in every way imaginable.

The biggest concern is that I do not see us improving.  I think that we are getting progressively worse, and I don't see us bringing in the horses next year that we need to start the recovery.  The ultimate legacy of Heath will not be his "classy guy" persona, but rather his abysmal recruiting that put us in this position.  Maybe Pel will prove me wrong - I certainly hope that he does.

rude1

Quote from: aristotle on February 11, 2009, 01:16:45 pm
Nice words, hawgchill

It's always hard to suffer through losing periods, but this team was expected to do this. We lost nearly 90% of our offense from last year. We were picked to finish last in the SECW ( on a down year for the league ).

Let the Texas and OU game show you what we have to look forward to. Don't let it discourage you, but give you optimism. Patience, my friends.
Why is everyone using the "we were picked last excuse now"? Doesn't that just say that they looked at what we had coming in and saw it wasn't that impressive? If we had a couple of MD_AAs in this class, do you think they would have still picked us last, even though the team would be equally as young? They picked us last for two reasons not ONE, young was one, and not very talented was the other. Recruiting must get better or just accept we are a bubble program at best, because with the level of talent that's being brought in here now, that is the most that you can hope for.

hawgchill

THIS continues to be THE best rounball site
in ALL NCAA Basketball   : )

Believe it or not,
   We're actually a BETTER team @ 13-8
than we were @ 12-1...

THANX 4 the replies
   and watch it all play itself out.

Peace to the hogville fam!

hogfanforever

Quote from: HeathWimp on February 11, 2009, 03:48:31 pm
The biggest concern is that I do not see us improving.  I think that we are getting progressively worse,

The problem isn't so much improvement as it is consistency. The first half of the MSU game @ the hump was probably the best they've played all year - including during the 'big wins'. But they couldn't finish...too tired, too inconsistent in carrying out their assignments. This is a team that is playing in spurts because of their youth and inexperience at the college level. No amount of practice, film watching, or cajoling can make up for simple experience. And we, the fans, can't really hang everything on Mike Washington's shoulders.

Just my own personal opinion - this year is shot, but it is simply a building year. Next year we will be formidable. Not perfect, and still pretty small...but formidable.
"One of these days its gonna get right and when it does I AM GOING to be scary for a lot of people"

heathtits

February 11, 2009, 05:18:42 pm #17 Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 05:21:15 pm by heathtits
Quote from: hawgchill on February 11, 2009, 04:45:30 pm
THIS continues to be THE best rounball site
in ALL NCAA Basketball   : )

Believe it or not,
   We're actually a BETTER team @ 13-8
than we were @ 12-1...

THANX 4 the replies
   and watch it all play itself out.

Peace to the hogville fam!

We're a better team now than we were after the TX and OU game? If I had been drinking anything, this laptop would be toast.

Have you even watched SEC play? Almost a complete digression. Besides the Bama game, find me ONE freaking positive that we can take from SEC play so far.

This is why many of us are angry. Absolutely no addressing of weaknesses and fundamental errors. They continue and continue to make the EXACT same mistakes, over and over again. It just makes me insane.

Just because someone is pessimistic or critical does not mean anything about their level as Hawg Fans. I've either been, listened to or watched every game this season and I plan to continue to do so. But its most def. not going to stop me from being critical. What's the point of being a fan anyway if you can't critique your favorite team? I feel like I wouldn't have anything between my legs if it was all about blind adoration. It's a freaking forum, these "be positive" threads are just as tiresome as the insane fire the coach threads. They're obnoxious and simply sit on the other side of the fence. Why don't we all let everyone hold their opinions but continue to demand logical insight. There's plenty of "respected" posters on here who are having doubts. Tomhog among others. So it goes both ways...

Besides whats better for the fan base and our program? Critical and insightful (Many aren't esp. the fire Pelphrey muggles) fans that continue to pay attention to details going on during games or the Apathetic, "oh its ok, we were picked last in preseason and we are young" fans who write us off for the rest of the year and are content with what the team is doing right now. I say the former.

forrest city joe

Quote from: rude1 on February 11, 2009, 04:34:23 pm
Why is everyone using the "we were picked last excuse now"? Doesn't that just say that they looked at what we had coming in and saw it wasn't that impressive? If we had a couple of MD_AAs in this class, do you think they would have still picked us last, even though the team would be equally as young? They picked us last for two reasons not ONE, young was one, and not very talented was the other. Recruiting must get better or just accept we are a bubble program at best, because with the level of talent that's being brought in here now, that is the most that you can hope for.
Bingo Rude. it's nothing but more excuses for why we are losing.

touchdownark

just shut the hell up and let him coach. you cant give a guy 2 years to turn a program into a national power

razorbackfan

Quote from: forrest city joe on February 11, 2009, 05:44:59 pm
Bingo Rude. it's nothing but more excuses for why we are losing.
Not excuses....just the reality of it all, some people can handle reality & some people panic in the face of adversity

heathtits

Quote from: razorbackfan on February 11, 2009, 05:52:49 pm
Not excuses....just the reality of it all, some people can handle reality & some people panic in the face of adversity

Seems the latter would apply to our team.

HeathWimp

Quote from: touchdownark on February 11, 2009, 05:49:16 pm
just shut the hell up and let him coach. you cant give a guy 2 years to turn a program into a national power

You don't see me making comments like that to the "Positive Posters" - I respect their right to an opinion.  You should respect mine.

rude1

Quote from: razorbackfan on February 11, 2009, 05:52:49 pm
Here is another reality. This is a bubble program in it's best years now, and many of the fans are more than accepting of it being that way. Willing to hang on to any and  all excuses for why things aren't headed in a direction that would make us more than that. Always willing to believe that time alone will make things better, when the reality is that better players are the only thing that's going to make this any better. No players in the top fifty on this team and only 2 in the top 100, thats a sobering thought if you understand what it means for a program, and none coming for next year. Now they are currently after this Adam kid that the mid-majors were the only ones originally actively recruiting. Not bashing the kid, but the reality is he is yet ANOTHER sleeper this staff is trying to bring in, and you can't build a contending program with talent of that level.

HogBreath

Quote from: rude1 on February 11, 2009, 06:13:16 pm
Here is another reality. This is a bubble program in it's best years now, and many of the fans are more than accepting of it being that way. Willing to hang on to any and  all excuses for why things aren't headed in a direction that would make us more than that. Always willing to believe that time alone will make things better, when the reality is that better players are the only thing that's going to make this any better. No players in the top fifty on this team and only 2 in the top 100, thats a sobering thought if you understand what it means for a program, and none coming for next year. Now they are currently after this Adam kid that the mid-majors were the only ones originally actively recruiting. Not bashing the kid, but the reality is he is yet ANOTHER sleeper this staff is trying to bring in, and you can't build a contending program with talent of that level.
I saw where his team was like 7-16 for the year, maybe we should recruit some of the players he's been going up against.  Lost last nite 78-53.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

rzrbackrob

1-7 in the SEC with no win in sight
Major questions about next year's recruiting class
This is why people are concerned
For what it's worth, I believe Pel is the man for the job and he must be given 5 years to get it done.
Good is the enemy of great

razorbackfan

Quote from: rude1 on February 11, 2009, 06:13:16 pm

When have we had more than a couple of top 100 players on our team? Championship team had Corliss, Scotty wasn't, Darnell was a McDonald's AA but he was overrated. Our current freshman class has (according to Rivals150) #60 Fortson, #78 Henry, #104 Clarke, #128 Moore...and nobody was saying that Pel couldn't recruit then so what gives? When Marshawn Powell gets to campus rated #56 then we'll have at least 5 Rival150 players on our team & 4 of them will be more experienced Sophmores...

rude1

Quote from: razorbackfan on February 11, 2009, 06:42:53 pm
When have we had more than a couple of top 100 players on our team? Championship team had Corliss, Scotty wasn't, Darnell was a McDonald's AA but he was overrated. Our current freshman class has (according to Rivals150) #60 Fortson, #78 Henry, #104 Clarke, #128 Moore...and nobody was saying that Pel couldn't recruit then so what gives? When Marshawn Powell gets to campus rated #56 then we'll have at least 5 Rival150 players on our team & 4 of them will be more experienced Sophmores...
Corliss Wiliamson was the No. 1 player in his class, Darnell Robinson was considered that by some.  When you have that to build around, then you can add role players. But you cannot make a complete team out of guys rated above 100 and expect to be anything other than a bubble team if things break perfectly for you. Unless you are lucky enough to get a guy who's  game explodes when he gets to the college level, and that doesn't happen very often in basketball.