Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It all starts with Recruiting

Started by Tomhog™, February 08, 2009, 08:25:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Oliver

Quote from: NWASooner on February 08, 2009, 04:14:13 pm
Capel didn't luck into anything.  Blake Griffin probably wasn't going to OU as long as Sampson was there.  Taylor was thinking about transferring but decided to stick around after the Capel hire. 

Aside from Griffin, Capel is still a legit recruiter.  He got Willie Warren, who was a McDonald's All-American and there are two more McD's AA's coming in next year.

OU struck gold with Capel and they'll spend big money to keep him around.  He'll probably stay at OU until the Duke job opens up and then he'll be gone in 5 minutes.

That's the funny thing about coaching hires.  After their stints at VCU and South Alabama, respectively, Capel and Pelphrey seemed like a net push.  I still really like Pelphrey and people need to patient but he should be recruiting better based on the facilities and him being a younger coach.

^^^^^^^This

dotnet

Quote from: Oliver Miller on February 08, 2009, 05:39:56 pm
^^^^^^^This

Seriously?  He had the best player in the country who went to high school 30 miles from campus.  Thats real hard.  You get a player like Griffin to come to your school, it makes recruiting a lot easier... just look at Kansas State's recruiting this year. This is the first time they've ever got a non bob huggins recruit to even think about going there. 

NWASooner

Quote from: dotnet on February 08, 2009, 06:29:22 pm
Seriously?  He had the best player in the country who went to high school 30 miles from campus.  Thats real hard.  You get a player like Griffin to come to your school, it makes recruiting a lot easier... just look at Kansas State's recruiting this year. This is the first time they've ever got a non bob huggins recruit to even think about going there. 

Read more, post less.  Blake Griffin was NOT going to OU before Capel showed up.  There was even a CNNSI article about this a week or so ago.  The OKC area puts out about 1 five star player every year or so and they rarely go to OU.

Oliver

Quote from: NWASooner on February 08, 2009, 06:47:29 pm
Read more, post less.  Blake Griffin was NOT going to OU before Capel showed up.  There was even a CNNSI article about this a week or so ago.  The OKC area puts out about 1 five star player every year or so and they rarely go to OU.

Absolutely.  Living in Norman, it pains me to see what's going on in Norman and what's going on in Fayetteville.  Castiglione hasn't hired a bad coach since he's been the AD at OU.  With Jeff Long being his protege, I'm thinking we'll be as successful in the near future.  Right now by examining the two basketball programs, you get a good view of what happens when you do it right and what happens when you do it wrong.

dotnet

Quote from: NWASooner on February 08, 2009, 06:47:29 pm

Read more post less?  I stated a fact.  He kept a kid less 30 miles from home.  That is by far easier to do than to bring the best freshman point guard to Arkansas, all the way from the east coast (if not the best in your opinion... at least in the top 5?).  I gave Capel all the credit he rightfully deserved.

But since you're going to make my point... With OKC producing 1 five star a year, compared to the entire state of Arkansas producing roughly one in the last ten, I would hope that you would be able to recruit to OU.  Even Nuttless could keep the majority of the talent in his own city.

dotnet

Granted, Nuttless could only keep them for a year, yea yea... he still got them (with help) for a year... you get the point.

NWASooner

QuoteBut since you're going to make my point... With OKC producing 1 five star a year, compared to the entire state of Arkansas producing roughly one in the last ten, I would hope that you would be able to recruit to OU.  Even Nuttless could keep the majority of the talent in his own city.

They never go to OU.  OKC even had 2 five star players this year.  One went to Kentucky and the #1 player in the country went to Memphis.  (Kansas usually recruits OKC very well, too.)  Except for Griffin, almost all of Capel's recruits have been from out of state.

Big time players usually want to play at a basketball school with good crowds and excitement.  OU fans don't know they have a basketball team until about mid January and that's if the team is good.  That's what makes Pelphrey's recruiting at Arkansas so confusing.  Arkansas has a great basketball environment, great facilities, and a young coach with an up tempo style.  You'd think Pelphrey could at least get some 4 and 5 star kids from OKC and/or Texas to look at Arkansas.

Oliver

Quote from: NWASooner on February 09, 2009, 07:05:42 am
They never go to OU.  OKC even had 2 five star players this year.  One went to Kentucky and the #1 player in the country went to Memphis.  (Kansas usually recruits OKC very well, too.)  Except for Griffin, almost all of Capel's recruits have been from out of state.

Big time players usually want to play at a basketball school with good crowds and excitement.  OU fans don't know they have a basketball team until about mid January and that's if the team is good.  That's what makes Pelphrey's recruiting at Arkansas so confusing.  Arkansas has a great basketball environment, great facilities, and a young coach with an up tempo style.  You'd think Pelphrey could at least get some 4 and 5 star kids from OKC and/or Texas to look at Arkansas.

You sir, GET IT.

farmhawg

Quote from: MF on February 08, 2009, 11:06:01 am
Seriously?!?  You guys are reaching.  He came to the Razorbacks with us being the laughing stock of the nation after the Altman debacle.  He was lucky to get anyone to sign that first year.

His second recruiting class contains what many are considering the best freshman PG in the nation and another G who led his state in scoring.  Then add Henry who I think has the best chance of playing at the next level of all three considering his size and skills.

I swear between this and the Mike Andeson thread I'm not coming back to this forum until next season.
No, please don't go! What will we do without you?

Wait, what have you done that we want you around? You are right see you next year when you need to be an ass again.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

farmhawg

Quote from: NWASooner on February 09, 2009, 07:05:42 am

I would venture to say that he does not work as hard at it as do other coaches. Possibly that he doesn't have the right assistants on his staff. I like Pel and want him to do well but he HAS to get better players.

Also we do not play forty minutes of anything. Have you seen our full court press?
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

upperdeck_hawg

Quote from: Verge on February 08, 2009, 09:34:30 am
LOL, you don't watch alot of basketball do you ?

Washington has 0 chance in the NBA right now.

obviously you dont. washington has tons of potential.  nba teams are aware of him right now. he is even being mentioned as a late first rounder in some mock draft sights.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

NWASooner

Quotewashington has tons of potential.

This would be a big deal if he were 18.  He's probably 21 or 22 and he still hasn't physically developed into a legit NBA power forward.  He's probably closer to 6'9" than 6'11" so he needs some bulk.

He's a 2nd rounder at best.

The Hogfather

Quote from: NWASooner on February 09, 2009, 10:37:56 am
This would be a big deal if he were 18.  He's probably 21 or 22 and he still hasn't physically developed into a legit NBA power forward.  He's probably closer to 6'9" than 6'11" so he needs some bulk.

He's a 2nd rounder at best.

Good call.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2009/

Hog Pharm

Well you totally lost credibility when you said you don't follow basketball recruiting like football.  You blame Beverley on Pelphrey?? Hello, Heath recruiting him.  The reason there have been so many suspensions is because Pel demands good character from his players.  Heath didn't give a squat about it and, thus, there weren't any suspensions.  Also, Pel had to start from scratch this year because Heath recruited no depth.  Since everyone is so fond of looking at recruiting rankings in football why don't you point out Pel's class was rated 12th in the nation??  Give the man a break, it's his second year for goodness sake.  Patience is a virtue.

Smokehouse

Pel had an uphill recruting battle from the get-go. We hadn't done anything truly amazing for a long time, and our coaching search had been the laughing stock of the nation. Everyone knew we were rejected by everyone on our initial list, and then the Altman disaster.

Then there's the fact that Heath left us with such an unbalanced scholarship issue that Pel had to fix. He was obviously counting on Beverly to be here, which would have added a lot to the team and let him save some scholarships for this year's recruiting class to help with the balancing issues.

Sanchez didn't pan out as advertised, but if he had after redshirting a year, imagine this team with full-potential Sanchez and Beverly, this lets us have a good team while developing our projects (Moore/Clark.) Then add in Monk to sweeten the deal. Looks like a pretty solid plan to me, just didn't work out due to some extenuating circumstances.

I'll put McDonald on Pel, because if he had character flaws severe enough to get kicked off the team that early it probably should have been noticeable early on. Other than that, I'm willing to wait and see how Pel handles this situation.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

porkinsons disease

Quote from: ljean on February 09, 2009, 11:03:52 am
Well you totally lost credibility when you said you don't follow basketball recruiting like football.  You blame Beverley on Pelphrey?? Hello, Heath recruiting him.  The reason there have been so many suspensions is because Pel demands good character from his players.  Heath didn't give a squat about it and, thus, there weren't any suspensions.  Also, Pel had to start from scratch this year because Heath recruited no depth.  Since everyone is so fond of looking at recruiting rankings in football why don't you point out Pel's class was rated 12th in the nation??  Give the man a break, it's his second year for goodness sake.  Patience is a virtue.
+1 I am as frustrated as anyone right now, but Pel deserves at least 2 more years. Are you guys saying that Fortson ,Clarke, and Henry ( and maybe others) are not enough to compete in the SEC? Thats at least 3 major pieces in 1 recruiting year.

Our problems are youth and the lack of upperclassmen leadership. I like Washington, but I would not exactly call him clutch. He and Welsh still make alot of "freshman" mistakes. With the development of the kids and the arrival of Powell, we should be much,much improved next year.

I loved the early wins over 2 top 10 teams, but I think it raised expectations to an unreasonable level.
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

Tomhog™

You lost all credibility in your lack of reading comprehension.  I said that Heath is to blame.  And where did I say it is time to fire him?  I never say this, but there is a first time for everything: read more and post less.

Hog Pharm

Quote from: Tomhog™ on February 09, 2009, 11:57:53 am
You lost all credibility in your lack of reading comprehension.  I said that Heath is to blame.  And where did I say it is time to fire him?  I never say this, but there is a first time for everything: read more and post less.

Actually you said "Heath gets some blame too."  99% of that post was a shot at Pel.  Think more and sound like an idiot less.

Tomhog™

Quote from: ljean on February 09, 2009, 12:05:15 pm
Actually you said "Heath gets some blame too."  99% of that post was a shot at Pel.  Think more and sound like an idiot less.

Anyone with a brain realizes that Beverley was recruited by Heath.  You just got yourself a warning.

Hog Pharm

Quote from: Tomhog™ on February 09, 2009, 12:07:21 pm
Anyone with a brain realizes that Beverley was recruited by Heath.  You just got yourself a warning.

Yeah but somehow you made it sound like Beverley's "academic problems" were Pel's fault.  We would be a totally different team with Bev this year.

heathtits

Quote from: ljean on February 09, 2009, 12:18:43 pm
Yeah but somehow you made it sound like Beverley's "academic problems" were Pel's fault.  We would be a totally different team with Bev this year.

That still does nothing for your point.

The FACT is we need game ready players coming in on the spot next year and we have Farmer and Powell.

Farmer's offers- Arkansas, Iowa State, Nebraska, Ball State, Detroit, Loyola Chicago, TCU, Wisconsin GB and UAB.

Powell's offers- according to rivals, only us.

Borden's offers. according to rivals, only us.

Not exactly the best company to be in, and I'd love to hear someone try to spin it like Pel picked and chose these guys. Fact is they were all we had a chance with and that is pretty pathetic all things considered.

BCShogs

You said, "Heath recruited no depth". Pel had like 8 schollies, but he has filled half of them with projects or guys that may never contribute much.

razorbackfan

Quote from: Beaverfever on February 08, 2009, 09:26:57 am
Great post Tom.  It is all about recruiting and so far Pel's has been crap.  Moore, Clark, and Sanchez all look about the same as they did when they got here.  Fortson looked so good early on and now I don't even know if he is the PG of the future.  Clarke is short and timid and henry can't shoot.
Let's see the #11 recruiting class in the nation for Pel last year...Petrino #20 in the nation and guess what, everyone is just as psyched about the new football recruits as we all were for that class. The 3 commits we have for this year are rated Farmer=94, Powell=92, Borden=89 on ESPN.com...The only CRAP I see is your post

upperdeck_hawg

Quote from: The Hogfather on February 09, 2009, 10:52:22 am
Good call.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2009/

thanks for the link. notice two players projected ahead of him, #1 Blake Griffin and #22 Damion James, were both outplayed by Wash head to head.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

Hog Pharm

Quote from: heathtits on February 09, 2009, 03:59:34 pm
That still does nothing for your point.

The FACT is we need game ready players coming in on the spot next year and we have Farmer and Powell.

Farmer's offers- Arkansas, Iowa State, Nebraska, Ball State, Detroit, Loyola Chicago, TCU, Wisconsin GB and UAB.

Powell's offers- according to rivals, only us.

Borden's offers. according to rivals, only us.

Not exactly the best company to be in, and I'd love to hear someone try to spin it like Pel picked and chose these guys. Fact is they were all we had a chance with and that is pretty pathetic all things considered.

I fail to see how their offer lists determine whether or not they will be able to come in and contribute.  You haven't seen them play and you are already discounting them.  And by the way Powell is considered to be a top 50 talent by most.

Hog Pharm

Quote from: BCShogs on February 09, 2009, 04:05:45 pm
You said, "Heath recruited no depth". Pel had like 8 schollies, but he has filled half of them with projects or guys that may never contribute much.

Well let's see, 3 of those players are contributing about 30 minutes per game and, while yes you could consider the other two projects from what I have seen they are athletic and have definite upside.  Every kid you recruit isn't going to be able to come in and contribute right away.  It just doesn't work like that.

Tomhog™

February 10, 2009, 08:33:17 am #77 Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 08:35:35 am by Tomhog™
Quote from: razorbackfan on February 09, 2009, 04:49:34 pm
Let's see the #11 recruiting class in the nation for Pel last year...Petrino #20 in the nation and guess what, everyone is just as psyched about the new football recruits as we all were for that class. The 3 commits we have for this year are rated Farmer=94, Powell=92, Borden=89 on ESPN.com...The only CRAP I see is your post

If you are going to use the lowest ranking for football (Scout) to support your point, you should use the same service to rank the basketball team.  Scout had them ranked 24th, not 11th.  Largely that is due to the sheer number of signees (6).  You use the ESPN rankings to talk of this year's class, the Hogs are not even in the top 25 for 2009 according to Scout.  Borden will not be on the Arkansas squad next year so he can develop in prep school.  It would be a mistake for him to do otherwise as he is not ready for SEC.  Powell, well let's pray Pelphrey's streak of squeeking marginal academic players continues.  Which goes back to my initial point, we need to recruit those that are not risks like this.  We are banking a whole year of recruiting on one kid that has no other offers.  If he is a top 50, why would that be?  I bet it is due to eligibility questions.

I am excited about the class Petrino put together.  He met dire needs at almost all positions.  It's a class that will have us competing in the West.  All the upper rated recruits are on track to qualify.  The one big time recruit for basketball can't say the same, yet.  And believe me when I say I really hope he qualifies.

I am not excited about this class we have signed this year.  I don't see this group as taking Arkansas to the next level.  The team has no where to go but up since they are only better than Georgia in league play.  We have to make significant strides just to get back to mediocre, much less competing for the West.  Until recruiting gets better, it's not going to happen.

Hog Pharm

I agree that Petrino has definitely done a better job of recruiting so far but let's not discount what Pel did last year.  He had to replace basically the entire roster and that can't be done with one class.  What he did with that one class, though, I like.  Fortson is already a difference maker.  Rotnei has the chance to be but he just needs more time to adjust to college ball.  I fully expect him to be much improved next year.  Although averaging 10 points per game as a freshman isn't something to scoff at.  A lot of fans were just expecting him to come in and dominate as a freshman.  Henry may have the most potential on the team.  He also needs time to develop and mature, and next year I expect him to be a legitimate force.  As long as Washington stays next year I believe we will be much improved.  If he leaves then, yes, we will be in trouble.  As far as the Powell being an academic risk, those are strictly rumors.  I haven't seen one credible source that says he may not make it.  Until then, stop assuming he's not going to qualify.  I trust that Pel knows what he's doing.  As far as the rest of the class, Farmer is the long, athletic type of guard that we need to come in and add length to the perimeter.  I also believe we will add another during the spring signing period.

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

One of the problems with recruiting is that Pel does not have much to go on. We have not had a lot of success recently as far as wins or titles. We have not put a whole lot of guys into the NBA, and only one that is really a success there. Our arena is great, but it is not brand new and other schools are catching up in terms of facilities and even passing us in some ways. Our fans are good when we are winning and so so when we are struggling. Pel is young and has good pedigree, but he is still pretty much unknown. Petrino in football pulled a lot of good players because of his name. His name is connected to success, and players want to be associated with that. IMO Pel needs time.

razorhead94

Quote from: dotnet on February 08, 2009, 04:20:26 pm
Guys are you people serious?  You can only give Pel credit for 1 and 1/2 class.  The early signing period was already gone by the time Pel got here his first year.  He did good just to get Sanchez (who he out recruited Kansas and Kentucky for) and an SEC defender (Britt). 

In his first real class, Pel got the best pg in the country, the best shooter in the country, Henry (who everyone likes and would be been better if he had not gotten hurt), and two other decent players who will improve.  The class was ranked 11th in the nation by ESPN (15th by Rivals).

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/columns/story?columnist=williams_antonio&id=3405529

Yes, that is higher than BP's class that makes everyone think he is God's gift to recruiting (and I'm not disagreeing).  Keep in mind the majority of the class signed before he even coached a game at Arkansas.  This is after Arkansas hadn't won a tournament game in ten years.  Ten years. I know that football was just 5-7... they were also just in the Cotton Bowl the year before that and the SECCG the year before that.  These current players aren't even old enough to remember watching the last time Arkansas was relevant in basketball.

The current class is smaller.  That isn't because of Pel.  Pel is trying his hardest to undo Heath's mess and even out the classes.  But the two players he currently has committed (that we expect to help next year) are both ranked higher than Fortson was last year, according to ESPN.

Not only that, but Pel is trying really hard to get back in to Memphis for 2010, something everyone agrees that Arkansas has to do. 

Its weird that people complain about character, and then say they want Billy G in the next post.  He has recruited several people that have threatened to quit playing for him, quit playing for him, or he has had to kick off the team.  I'm not saying Billy G did anything wrong, but he has definitely had more problems with this than Pel has.

And blaming Bev on Pel is absurd. 

(I took the whole paragraph to not misquote anyone)

I know it makes everything sound better, but Pel did not recruit PB.  But I would much rather have had Bev for the two years we did than to not have had him at all.. he played hard for Arkansas and did great job.  Pel has recruited good kids.  Clark, Britt, Clarke, Sanchez... they have all been great as far as I know.  But if you really only want to recruit choir boys than you're going to be in trouble.  I can't think of one decent team that was made of all saints... even if nothing came out in the press about them.  Even a team with a bunch of pretty boys like Duke has Gerald Henderson on it... ask TH about his pretty boy image.  I think Pel has proved that he will discipline anyone and not let you stay here if you're going to be a character problem. 

The team is young.  They have won games no one thought they would win and they have lost games no one thought they would lose.  It happens.  The team has talent though and we can all be way more confident that everyone will continue to get better as opposed to previous years.

As for Sanchez, yes he has struggled in SEC play.  But the guy has talent, just ask Bill Self and BG.  Thomas averaged 5.5 pts and 2.7 rebs when he was a true freshman.  He turned into a pretty decent SEC player, and that was with some pretty bad coaching for three plus years.  Sanchez's 6 and 5 (while playing along side someone who looks to score, as opposed to Hill), will only improve under Pelphrey.

I have been frustrated with the last few games... I just don't think the world is going to end.  I think we have a bunch of freshman who will get better.  I think the kids coming in, who are still on track to make it, are rated highly and will help out.  I think the kids we're on for 2010 from the Memphis area are great as players and from a recruiting strategy.  I don't see this doom and gloom that everyone is preaching.

this
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

razorbackfan

Quote from: Tomhog™ on February 10, 2009, 08:33:17 am
If you are going to use the lowest ranking for football (Scout) to support your point, you should use the same service to rank the basketball team.  Scout had them ranked 24th, not 11th.  Largely that is due to the sheer number of signees (6).  You use the ESPN rankings to talk of this year's class, the Hogs are not even in the top 25 for 2009 according to Scout.  Borden will not be on the Arkansas squad next year so he can develop in prep school.  It would be a mistake for him to do otherwise as he is not ready for SEC.  Powell, well let's pray Pelphrey's streak of squeeking marginal academic players continues.  Which goes back to my initial point, we need to recruit those that are not risks like this.  We are banking a whole year of recruiting on one kid that has no other offers.  If he is a top 50, why would that be?  I bet it is due to eligibility questions.

I am excited about the class Petrino put together.  He met dire needs at almost all positions.  It's a class that will have us competing in the West.  All the upper rated recruits are on track to qualify.  The one big time recruit for basketball can't say the same, yet.  And believe me when I say I really hope he qualifies.

I am not excited about this class we have signed this year.  I don't see this group as taking Arkansas to the next level.  The team has no where to go but up since they are only better than Georgia in league play.  We have to make significant strides just to get back to mediocre, much less competing for the West.  Until recruiting gets better, it's not going to happen.
Sorry big guy, but those are ESPN rankings!!!

Tomhog™

Quote from: razorbackfan on February 10, 2009, 01:35:23 pm
Sorry big guy, but those are ESPN rankings!!!

Ok, you got me there.  I thought ESPN has Arkansas rated higher in football.  I didn't check to see.

No doubt, Pelphrey came into a shirtstorm when he took the job.  He had to replace many players and without the luxury of years of contacts on the SEC level for recruiting.  I am in no way suggesting he should be terminated, but I just hate all the risks he is taking with academic marginals and questionable character.  I want something to see a bright future for the basketball program, but I do not see it yet.

razorhead94

Quote from: Tomhog™ on February 10, 2009, 03:27:11 pm
Ok, you got me there.  I thought ESPN has Arkansas rated higher in football.  I didn't check to see.

No doubt, Pelphrey came into a shirtstorm when he took the job.  He had to replace many players and without the luxury of years of contacts on the SEC level for recruiting.  I am in no way suggesting he should be terminated, but I just hate all the risks he is taking with academic marginals and questionable character.  I want something to see a bright future for the basketball program, but I do not see it yet.

wait till after the spring period
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

sadhogfan

Quote from: dotnet on February 08, 2009, 04:20:26 pm
Guys are you people serious?  You can only give Pel credit for 1 and 1/2 class.  The early signing period was already gone by the time Pel got here his first year.  He did good just to get Sanchez (who he out recruited Kansas and Kentucky for) and an SEC defender (Britt). 

In his first real class, Pel got the best pg in the country, the best shooter in the country, Henry (who everyone likes and would be been better if he had not gotten hurt), and two other decent players who will improve.  The class was ranked 11th in the nation by ESPN (15th by Rivals).

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/columns/story?columnist=williams_antonio&id=3405529

Yes, that is higher than BP's class that makes everyone think he is God's gift to recruiting (and I'm not disagreeing).  Keep in mind the majority of the class signed before he even coached a game at Arkansas.  This is after Arkansas hadn't won a tournament game in ten years.  Ten years. I know that football was just 5-7... they were also just in the Cotton Bowl the year before that and the SECCG the year before that.  These current players aren't even old enough to remember watching the last time Arkansas was relevant in basketball.

The current class is smaller.  That isn't because of Pel.  Pel is trying his hardest to undo Heath's mess and even out the classes.  But the two players he currently has committed (that we expect to help next year) are both ranked higher than Fortson was last year, according to ESPN.

Not only that, but Pel is trying really hard to get back in to Memphis for 2010, something everyone agrees that Arkansas has to do. 

Its weird that people complain about character, and then say they want Billy G in the next post.  He has recruited several people that have threatened to quit playing for him, quit playing for him, or he has had to kick off the team.  I'm not saying Billy G did anything wrong, but he has definitely had more problems with this than Pel has.

And blaming Bev on Pel is absurd. 

(I took the whole paragraph to not misquote anyone)

I know it makes everything sound better, but Pel did not recruit PB.  But I would much rather have had Bev for the two years we did than to not have had him at all.. he played hard for Arkansas and did great job.  Pel has recruited good kids.  Clark, Britt, Clarke, Sanchez... they have all been great as far as I know.  But if you really only want to recruit choir boys than you're going to be in trouble.  I can't think of one decent team that was made of all saints... even if nothing came out in the press about them.  Even a team with a bunch of pretty boys like Duke has Gerald Henderson on it... ask TH about his pretty boy image.  I think Pel has proved that he will discipline anyone and not let you stay here if you're going to be a character problem. 

The team is young.  They have won games no one thought they would win and they have lost games no one thought they would lose.  It happens.  The team has talent though and we can all be way more confident that everyone will continue to get better as opposed to previous years.

As for Sanchez, yes he has struggled in SEC play.  But the guy has talent, just ask Bill Self and BG.  Thomas averaged 5.5 pts and 2.7 rebs when he was a true freshman.  He turned into a pretty decent SEC player, and that was with some pretty bad coaching for three plus years.  Sanchez's 6 and 5 (while playing along side someone who looks to score, as opposed to Hill), will only improve under Pelphrey.

I have been frustrated with the last few games... I just don't think the world is going to end.  I think we have a bunch of freshman who will get better.  I think the kids coming in, who are still on track to make it, are rated highly and will help out.  I think the kids we're on for 2010 from the Memphis area are great as players and from a recruiting strategy.  I don't see this doom and gloom that everyone is preaching.

+1 Good post

Razorod

on the recruiting board, serious doubt starting to creep in about Powell.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.