Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BBN

Started by olivebranchhog, February 07, 2009, 04:16:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

olivebranchhog

3 words. Bring Back Nolan. At least with him, we played with heart, pride, and persistance. Pel is a good coach, but there is a reason why he wasn't coaching a big time program when we picked him up. I would be willing to sit through this rebuilding season, but Pel isn't even bringing in any talent in this recruiting class. Pel needed to do a few more years at a small school before taking over the reigns here.
Sometimes it takes a loss to make us realize what's really important

Hoop

couldn't agree more
Blaming Alex Wood for any problems with the offense is like blaming a spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being fat.-Swino

Hiring Dana Altman would be about as sexy as waking up in the morning to find your grandma with one tit in the coffee and the other in the oatmeal. -Wilsonhog

dougieritch

Quote from: olivebranchhog on February 07, 2009, 04:16:23 pm
3 words. Bring Back Nolan. At least with him, we played with heart, pride, and persistance. Pel is a good coach, but there is a reason why he wasn't coaching a big time program when we picked him up. I would be willing to sit through this rebuilding season, but Pel isn't even bringing in any talent in this recruiting class. Pel needed to do a few more years at a small school before taking over the reigns here.

Yeah Nolan really tore it up those last few years he was coaching <sarcasm>

Nolan's problem was he stopped recruiting and I don't care how good a coach you are, you must bring in talent.  I love Nolan, but his time has passed at Arkansas.

I think you are way off base saying these players don't play with pride and heart.  The problem is you don't have any depth and Freshmen play the majority of your minutes.

TDHog

couldn't disagree more.

Razorod

Nolan's not the answer. A top flight coach is. Maybe Pel will become that.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

chiefsfan

Nolan Stunk at the end of his time here.  he basically quit

at last check neither Pelphrey or his players have quit
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

40MINSOFHELL

i got four letters for you: STFU, nolan isnt the answer

TNhawgfan

Everyone remembers the Final Four years, but do you not remember the final years when Nolan had lost his fire? I think he became more interested in civil rights than maintaining Arkansas' basketball dominance.
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Oliver

Quote from: Razorod on February 07, 2009, 04:30:46 pm

That seems to be the administration's answer to our problems.  Bring unqualified coach in to coach our basketball program and hope he becomes a big time coach.  I'm very unimpressed with that strategy and it's results in the last 10 years.

yraciv

Well what do you know we brought in the 15th ranked class last year.
http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=839831#rank

I believe we've got a lot of FR that have shown they have potential be great SEC player, Fortson and Henry.  Not ruling out the others yet.  We're soft in the post! Wouldn't it be great if we could bring in an impact guy to bang around on the boards?   Hello Marshawn Powell!
http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=2&pr_key=68196

OK, but we still don't have enough on the wing!  You've heard about Jemal Farmer.  Yeah he is a 3 star on rivals, but lets see what he is doing in JUCO this year.  He is just putting up a smooth 22 a game, 75% ft, 50% fg, 5 reb, 2 ast, 1.6 stl a game.  Not like it's a comparison, but those are better number than Weems put up.
http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=2&pr_key=78073

I used to see only the negatives in this class, but after these stats, I'm sold on Farmer.  Not to mention, I'm excited about the guys we're looking at for 2010.  Some people can only see the negatives of a rebuilding year though.

yraciv

Quote from: Oliver Miller on February 07, 2009, 04:34:30 pm
That seems to be the administration's answer to our problems.  Bring unqualified coach in to coach our basketball program and hope he becomes a big time coach.  I'm very unimpressed with that strategy and it's results in the last 10 years.

I really would have preferred if we went with the football strategy, but I'm not counting out Pel yet.  I knew Heath would be a bust.

Conway Hog

Quote from: Oliver Miller on February 07, 2009, 04:34:30 pm

I agree with you again...however, that strategy was the last administration, when this experiment is over, Long will bring in a proven coach...Pel will not take us to the Promise land....i hope i am wrong about Pel, but is appears the chemistry between the coach and player is really stressed and the kids don't want to play for him
The  democracy will cease to exist when you take away from  those who are willing to work and give to those who would  not.
Thomas Jefferson

The  tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the  blood of patriots and  tyrants.
Thomas  Jefferson

want2be

There is a coach in Missouri who could turn it around now that Frank is gone.

yraciv

Quote from: want2be on February 07, 2009, 04:58:23 pm

What about that coach in Nebraska?  Might not be the excitement you are looking for, but consistently winning is enough for me.

olivebranchhog

Ok I said he isnt bringing anyone in this year. Powell probaby won't even make it here. Pel would be a great assistant here under Mike Anderson. I just don't think he is the guy to bring us back to where nolan and Dean had us. I could be wrong. He has one more year to prove himself. This is a throw away year.

HAM ELLIOT

Quote from: olivebranchhog on February 07, 2009, 09:29:51 pm
Ok I said he isnt bringing anyone in this year. Powell probaby won't even make it here. Pel would be a great assistant here under Mike Anderson. I just don't think he is the guy to bring us back to where nolan and Dean had us. I could be wrong. He has one more year to prove himself. This is a throw away year.

What is the deal with Mike Anderson?  I have not seen him win one Championship since he moved on.  I dont see Missouri in the top 25.  What is it that would make him so great?

bwbcpa

Quote from: HAM ELLIOT on February 07, 2009, 09:38:35 pm
What is the deal with Mike Anderson?  I have not seen him win one Championship since he moved on.  I dont see Missouri in the top 25.  What is it that would make him so great?

I'd like to know this myself.

HogBreath

February 07, 2009, 09:53:18 pm #17 Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 09:55:59 pm by HogBreath
Quote from: bwbcpa on February 07, 2009, 09:47:21 pm
I'd like to know this myself.
Yeah, me too.  His greatness must not be tied to winning.

Oops...just saw where Mizzou is 20-4.   Forget I said anything.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Table Rocker

olivebranchhog

Took UAB to the tourny 3 years in a row, took them to the sweet 16. 135-72 in his career. Was an assistant here for 17 years. Pelphrey went 80-67 at South Alabama only went 44-40 in the sun belt. And to top it off, we all know that if kentucky called he would leave us high and dry in the snap of a finger.

N HOG

Coondog Hog

Pel is not a lame duck yet he and this team will get better, but I would cream in my shorts to have Nolan on our bench just one more time.
'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..

TuckerRay

Quote from: Razorod on February 07, 2009, 04:30:46 pm

Top flight coach? How about one who,

In 22 years overall as an NCAA head coach, he was 508-206 for a winning percentage of .711. In 17 years at Arkansas, he was 389-169 (.697).

The only coach to win a national junior college title, a post-season NIT championship and the NCAA title, Richardson's teams went to the Final Four three times, earned NCAA Tournament bids 17 times and recorded 20 or more victories 16 times.

You ask for a top flight coach. it doesn't get anymore top flight than Nolan.

What a dumb statement

BallHog1

Nolan wasn't coaching in a big time program when we got him either. Took him a few years, lets give Pel the same.

Coondog Hog

Quote from: BallHog1 on February 07, 2009, 10:25:21 pm
Nolan wasn't coaching in a big time program when we got him either. Took him a few years, lets give Pel the same.

Easy killer the disciples of Eddie "Pass me the bottle" Sutton will eat you alive.
'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan

N HOG

I'll just say this and then give it up.

Some of you seem to think Pel is the answer. I don't see it, but hope you are right.

Bad team this year and no help on the way -- and I truly think two or three of they key players on this team won't be back next year.

As time has worn on, I just can't get past the 44-40 Sun Belt record and wonder what it is we saw.

I think eventually Long will establish the necessary pay scale and go get a coach to match the pay.

Coondog Hog

Quote from: N HOG on February 07, 2009, 10:43:59 pm
I'll just say this and then give it up.

Some of you seem to think Pel is the answer. I don't see it, but hope you are right.

Bad team this year and no help on the way -- and I truly think two or three of they key players on this team won't be back next year.

As time has worn on, I just can't get past the 44-40 Sun Belt record and wonder what it is we saw.

I think eventually Long will establish the necessary pay scale and go get a coach to match the pay.

And I think if we fire him now the we will be turned down by most of the heavy hitters we contact.
  - Ronald Reagan

-Ronald Reagan

N HOG

Quote from: Coondog Hog on February 07, 2009, 10:46:33 pm
And I think if we fire him now the we will be turned down by most of the heavy hitters we contact.

Long is smart. He ultimately knows we will get what we pay for.

I don't know how long it will take to play itself out, but that's what I am projecting.

I was optimistic at first, but now I don't see the coaching and I don't see the recruiting. Kind of like another situation many of us remember -- motivating a group of talented returnees the first year and then a slide downward.

rzrbackrob

Pel will and should get through the 2011-12 season.
By that time we will all know if Pel will be able to take us back to the final 4 or not.
If not, lets get someone who can.
Until then I'll support him and the team and hope for the best.
If we don't compete for the west next year, then I'm sure doubt will start creeping in, but everything that has happened this year should have been expected.
Good is the enemy of great

N HOG

Quote from: rzrbackrob on February 07, 2009, 11:12:43 pm
but everything that has happened this year should have been expected.

Losing by 21 at BWA to Allburn?

SLC

Quote from: want2be on February 07, 2009, 04:58:23 pm

Mike's not the answer either.
I need your truthful reply - lie, I will know it... and death will be no respite.

Coondog Hog

Quote from: SLC on February 07, 2009, 11:25:42 pm
Mike's not the answer either.

I'm getting confused 50 people on here tonight say Pels not the answer, 50 more say Mike A's not the answer. Altman,Self, Gillespie, and Calapari say their not the answer.  Does anyone know who the answer is?
  - Ronald Reagan

-Ronald Reagan

HogInThaGrove

Duke lost by 27 the other day. Fire Coach K right?  I'm sure the Dukies overracted as well. Pell deserves years, not games, to turn this around. And if any of the young men in this country would be taught right by their parents, we would have a number of solid contributers this season. It's a universal problem.

rzrbackrob

Teams that start 3 freshmen and 2 juniors with limited experience will have unexpected wins (Oklahoma and Texass) and unexpected loses (Auburn and Old P*ss).
Inexperienced teams play great in one half and poorly in the next.
The hope is that an inexperienced team has to have talent to give the #2 team in the country it's only loss, or play a great half on the road in the SEC (Mis take and LSU). Are these incidents a foreshadowing of things to come or just fortunate abnormalities? Only time will tell.
Good is the enemy of great

olivebranchhog

Quote from: BallHog1 on February 07, 2009, 10:25:21 pm

I will give hogville this promise. I will not bring this back up until Pel's contract is up. But if we don't make any strides in the right direction. I want a new coach. I wish pel all the best and hope he makes me look like a crazy fan that expects too much.

olivebranchhog

Quote from: chiefsfan on February 07, 2009, 04:32:21 pm

I can always count on you to bring a smart view to any situation. However, I disagree with the players not quiting statement. It seems like as soon as we get down by 5 or more, the whole team just starts jacking up shots as if it doesn't matter what they do we are going to lose anyway. Pel has not quit, but I just don't see the same fire that I saw last year. Maybe he is just trying to keep the pressure off of the young guys. I don't know, but I am definately tired of seeing us implode every game. I would love nothing more than for Pel to prove me wrong, I just don't see it happening.

SLC

Quote from: Coondog Hog on February 07, 2009, 11:30:17 pm
I'm getting confused 50 people on here tonight say Pels not the answer, 50 more say Mike A's not the answer. Altman,Self, Gillespie, and Calapari say their not the answer.  Does anyone know who the answer is?

Self was the answer, we had him but would not pay him more than we were paying Nolan. 

That ship has sailed.

I agree with you.  Right now, we need to stay the course with Pel.  This is not a good team but to make a change now is foolish.  Pel has not had a true opportunity to change the team around.  When he came on board, practically all of the schollies were used.  If we got rid of Pel, it would be nigh impossible to attract a great coach unless we paid Saban money. 

I do think these players are getting better, but there are going to be peaks and valleys.

We can do nothing right now but support them and cry, get mad or get sick after games like yesterday.

I say Mike is not the answer because I believe he was running the program the last few years of Nolan's tenure and it was not a stellar job.  Maybe he has improved his game since then, but I am still skeptical. 
I need your truthful reply - lie, I will know it... and death will be no respite.

TDHog

For all of you Nolan disciples, didn't he say to give Pel time?  That he was building the program the right way?  Quit your 3 year old tantrums of "I want it now" and give the man some time.  This program was not wrecked overnight and it cannot be fixed over night.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: chiefsfan on February 07, 2009, 04:32:21 pm

What he said.  +1 to you.

The Hogfather

Quote from: yraciv on February 07, 2009, 04:45:59 pm
Well what do you know we brought in the 15th ranked class last year.
http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=839831#rank

I believe we've got a lot of FR that have shown they have potential be great SEC player, Fortson and Henry.  Not ruling out the others yet.  We're soft in the post! Wouldn't it be great if we could bring in an impact guy to bang around on the boards?   Hello Marshawn Powell!
http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=2&pr_key=68196

OK, but we still don't have enough on the wing!  You've heard about Jemal Farmer.  Yeah he is a 3 star on rivals, but lets see what he is doing in JUCO this year.  He is just putting up a smooth 22 a game, 75% ft, 50% fg, 5 reb, 2 ast, 1.6 stl a game.  Not like it's a comparison, but those are better number than Weems put up.
http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=2&pr_key=78073

I used to see only the negatives in this class, but after these stats, I'm sold on Farmer.  Not to mention, I'm excited about the guys we're looking at for 2010.  Some people can only see the negatives of a rebuilding year though.

Those stats for Farmer aren't right, I don't think.  He's been shirting the bed lately.

http://www.cloud.edu/athletics/basketball/gamestats/index_stats.asp

Mr. Porkleone

I'll Pass

:puke:

Calihog

More of this stuff huh...

The Hogfather

Here are Farmer's last 5 games:

FG       3 PT       REB       ASSISTS     STEALS     TO     POINTS
Jan 3:      2-10      1-5         2               0              4          0         11
Jan 7:      3-13      1-4         4               3              2          5         11
Jan 17:     6-22     1-8          7              3              1          10        18
Jan 25:     2-12      0-5         2              4              2          3          6
Jan 31:     DNP

TOTAL:    10-57    3-22        15           10             9           18         46
AVG:        18%      14%     3.75/gm    2.5/gm     2.25/gm  4.5/gm   11.5/gm

These numbers are a little troubling for me.  If we can get Powell on campus, I think he'll help right away.  I'm not so sure about Farmer.

yraciv

Quote from: The Hogfather on February 11, 2009, 12:39:02 pm
Those stats for Farmer aren't right, I don't think.  He's been shirting the bed lately.

http://www.cloud.edu/athletics/basketball/gamestats/index_stats.asp

That was through 1-10 on the national juco website.  It's hard to find complete juco information, but I heard he had a minor injury.  I still judge a guy on his complete body of work, and not a couple bad games.  Here is the most recent update, which has him scoring 17 with 5 reb, on 6/10, coming off the bench.  Does say he has been serving a suspension, so don't know whats up with that.
http://bladeempire.com/web/isite.dll?1234208803254

Either way, the guy has averaged in the high teens throughout his juco career.  He is supposed to play good defense & be long, so I think he'll help instantly.

Break & Run

MIKE ANDERSON IS OOOVVVEEERRR-RRRAAATTTEEEDDD!!!!!!!!!  Dang!  He's not the coach ya'll think he is! GET OVER IT!
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."