Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I Suppose It's Not Too Late but This is the 69th Anniversary of D-Day

Started by Root66, June 06, 2013, 09:55:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Root66

That darned OxPunk and Tigger almost caused me to overlook it. Here are some astounding photos from Life Magazine that were never published. I didn't realize how much destruction there was to northern France during the Normandy Invasion. There are still 4 living veterans of the 101st Airborne, in the state of Missouri. To those guys and everyone else, I thank you.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/slideshow/2013/06/06/ruins-normandy-unpublished-photos-from-france/#slide=1

RollHogTide

Root - Thank you for the link - we (friends over for dinner) were talking Saturday night about D-Day.  I served in the military for 10-years and while I don't consider myself a brave man, I'm certainly not a coward; however, I just don't believe I could have done what those courageous men did.  They gave so much for their country and the world that we take for granted daily.

Root66

Quote from: RollHogTide on June 06, 2013, 10:07:44 pm
Root - Thank you for the link - we (friends over for dinner) were talking Saturday night about D-Day.  I served in the military for 10-years and while I don't consider myself a brave man, I'm certainly not a coward; however, I just don't believe I could have done what those courageous men did.  They gave so much for their country and the world that we take for granted daily.

Probably the most gut-wrenching assignment a bunch of soldiers (many just teenagers) could ever have facing them. No wonder Tom Brokaw called them the GREATEST GENERATION.

Oklahawg

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

cosmodrum

The way the country came together was just incredible. Women in the factories, victory gardens, manufacturers and companies redirecting from consumer goods to focus on the war effort and so on.

We wouldn't do it today.
Go away, batin'

RollHogTide

Quote from: Root66 on June 06, 2013, 10:19:38 pm
Probably the most gut-wrenching assignment a bunch of soldiers (many just teenagers) could ever have facing them. No wonder Tom Brokaw called them the GREATEST GENERATION.

My grandfather (step-mom's dad) was a waist gunner, tail gunner, and ball turret gunner with the 303rd BG.  He flew 30 missions before his plane (B-17) was shot down and he was captured by the Germans and subsequently a POW before being freed by the Russians.  He turned 90 this year and if I remember him telling me correctly, there are only 4 surviving members of their BG.

He has shared some stories with me about their mindset during that time, and I can't wrap my head around their dedication.  He told me a story about hearing a crew that was in a flat spin and could not eject - as they were falling from the sky they could hear the crew on the doomed plane reciting the Lord's Prayer in unison.  To think about it brings tears to my eyes and breaks my heart.

Bacons Rebellion

Thanks, Root. I liked the LST picture.

Always a bit strange to see color pictures of World War II. It's like seeing color film of a 1950s Razorback game. I am programmed to think the world was black & white outside my immediate vicinity until 1967.

Bacons Rebellion

D-Day holds a special memory for me.

In the 5th grade (1970) my teacher (in the same room where she had taught Jim Barnes) asked everyone in the room what the 'D' in D-Day stood for. And she went all the way around the room and people said Dooms Day and Disaster Day and other such nonsense. And she got to me (I was about to come out of my shoes) and I said. "It just stands for the first letter in Day, because when they were planning it they didn't know the exact date so everything had to be planned from the invasion Day so they just called it D-Day."

I was expecting unending accolades and probably maybe a medal or a metal figurine of an LST or a Duplex Drive tank or something and instead she thought that was a silly idea. And that was truly the moment when I, in complete shock, understood that figures in authority are often completely clueless. It was a valuable lesson.

Tejano Jawg

Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

PonderinHog

I got to spend some time with my dad this week.  While he didn't participate in the Normandy invasion, he did see action in the Pacific.  He'll turn 97 in July and whoever said, "they don't make them like they used to" was right.  Heroes, all of them.

TOM "tbw1"

Thanks, Root.  Had family members serving that day.  God Bless them
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

urkillnmesmalls

Awesome remembrance.  They were playing the WWII in HD series on Discovery 2 channel this evening, and I got sucked in as usual, even though I've probably seen all seven episodes three times each.  To hear the actual unedited writings of the soldiers being narrated always gives me chills.

I watch the recounts and actual footage and it's so horrific that it makes it hard to even grasp what they went through.  The gentlemen from that generation were regal to me.  They didn't ask for respect or expect accolades, they just had an air of pride about them that commanded it, and it is difficult to put into words.  My grandfather who served in the Army during WWII died at age 94 several years back.  He lost most of his hearing as a result of the war, but he never complained about it.  There was just something different about the men who served in that war.   

For those who say the current generation wouldn't do it, I disagree.  America has always risen up and fought for freedom, and while technology would make war much different, I still believe we could unite as a nation for a cause of that magnitude.   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

lechon

Quote from: cosmodrum on June 06, 2013, 10:29:06 pm
The way the country came together was just incredible. Women in the factories, victory gardens, manufacturers and companies redirecting from consumer goods to focus on the war effort and so on.

<We wouldn't do it today. >

<wrong>
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Sir Winston Churchill                                                                                  
There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true. -  Sir Winston Churchill

MuskogeeHogFan

Good job, Root. It won't be remembered if we don't pass it on. For many (and sadly) it is almost a forgotten day by many people these days.

My thanks to my Dad and his generation and all of the sacrifices that they made for all of us.
Go Hogs Go!

jusgtohogs

SIAP, but yesterday was also Ken Hatfield's birthday.  Born on D-Day, during WWII.

cosmodrum

Quote from: razor9 on June 07, 2013, 01:04:45 am
<wrong>

I don't see corporations doing what they did back then. They'd probably donate money and write it off.
Go away, batin'

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: cosmodrum on June 07, 2013, 08:22:14 am
I don't see corporations doing what they did back then. They'd probably donate money and write it off.

Cosmo, US corporations would be more than happy to bid on DoD contracts for 45 aircraft carriers, 3500 Liberty ships, 20 million uniforms, 20 million IV bottles, etc. And abide by the WWII wage freeze.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: jusgtohogs on June 07, 2013, 07:49:19 am
SIAP, but yesterday was also Ken Hatfield's birthday.  Born on D-Day, during WWII.

I see him out at the Blossom's Links course in Rogers pretty routinely playing golf.  Always has that big smile on when we cross paths.  Calves are still about as big as my thighs too.   ;)
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

cosmodrum

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on June 07, 2013, 10:56:49 am
Cosmo, US corporations would be more than happy to bid on DoD contracts for 45 aircraft carriers, 3500 Liberty ships, 20 million uniforms, 20 million IV bottles, etc. And abide by the WWII wage freeze.

Well sure, but don't we have the military industrial complex now to handle that without the commercial sector having to get involved?

Sorry, I'm not trying to start a generational debate here. My intention wasn't to be tacky in a thread meant to pay respect to those who fought and sacrificed.
Go away, batin'

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: cosmodrum on June 07, 2013, 11:01:43 am
Well sure, but don't we have the military industrial complex now to handle that without the commercial sector having to get involved?

Sorry, I'm not trying to start a generational debate here. My intention wasn't to be tacky in a thread meant to pay respect to those who fought and sacrificed.

????  I'm not sure if you're serious or not.  Cosmo, you are aware of the magnitude of the manufacturing effort that it took for us to win WWII right?  If you were making motors for fans in your factory, the next day you were making something for the military instead.  There is no "military industrial complex" large enough to duplicate that effort.   

cosmodrum

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on June 07, 2013, 11:08:08 am
????  I'm not sure if you're serious or not.  Cosmo, you are aware of the magnitude of the manufacturing effort that it took for us to win WWII right?  If you were making motors for fans in your factory, the next day you were making something for the military instead.  There is no "military industrial complex" large enough to duplicate that effort.   

I realize that, I guess I'm just asking if we have enough companies in the defense industry to handle it today.
Go away, batin'

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: cosmodrum on June 07, 2013, 11:11:32 am
I realize that, I guess I'm just asking if we have enough companies in the defense industry to handle it today.

NO...not even close.  Remember...we ran out of missiles in just the Kuwait war. 

Sadly, without getting too political here, now that we've turned from being a "manufacturing nation" and moved a lot of that overseas, the bigger question would be whether or not we even have enough private sector manufacturing facilities in the US to convert to manufacturing military necessities to keep up, without having to physically build more.   :(   

Root66

Guys, I have now lived through and remember the passing of the last Civil War soldiers, the last WWI soldiers (which also was no picnic for our guys-or theirs) and now, the last of the WWII heroes. I participated in none of them, but I almost feel slighted that I was rejected by the military, missing Vietnam. Isn't that a weird guilt feeling?  Anyhow, making sure we don't forget to acknowledge their sacrifices, many making the ultimate sacrifice, is the least I can do.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Root66 on June 07, 2013, 11:45:44 am
Guys, I have now lived through and remember the passing of the last Civil War soldiers, the last WWI soldiers (which also was no picnic for our guys-or theirs) and now, the last of the WWII heroes. I participated in none of them, but I almost feel slighted that I was rejected by the military, missing Vietnam. Isn't that a weird guilt feeling?  Anyhow, making sure we don't forget to acknowledge their sacrifices, many making the ultimate sacrifice, is the least I can do.

I was 21 and in college the minute CNN announced that Desert Shield was officially Desert Storm, and we were glued to the TV watching the green missiles from the night vision lenses.  I remember it like it was yesterday, thinking..."I may get drafted."  Meanwhile, two of my fraternity brothers in the reserves started packing their duffles.  It hit home for sure... 

What I recall from that was the rally and support that the country showed, and that it seemed everyone was resolved to NEVER allow anything like the heinous treatment that our troops got upon their return from Vietnam to be repeated. 

I have so much respect for those who served and fought for our country, and I hope everyone else out there does too.  Nice job of reminding us Root...   

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: cosmodrum on June 07, 2013, 11:01:43 am

You are right, if we had to go into a "conventional style" world war again at this point (meaning not a nuclear or a limited nuclear war, meaning the use of a regional nuclear device) we do not, thanks to the economic policies of our government, have the industrial base avaliable to support such a war, as we had prior to WWII.

Most industry went through one conversion or another in the war effort in the 40's. We don't have the industrial capacity or trained manpower to staff that effort these days, and that is pretty sad and has resulted in high unemployment levels (among other things) in the U.S. today. We are not anywhere close to being as self-sustaining as we once were as a nation.
Go Hogs Go!

Iwastherein1969

We wouldn't do it today.
100% agree....if the children, grand children and great grand children of the Greatest Generation had to do what they did in 1941-1945, well, we'd all be speaking German right now. Here's to my then 18 year old pops who fought in that war, was in the Battle of the Bulge, was declared dead and my grand ma got THE VISIT on the rural family farm in SW Arkansas along with THE LETTER letting her know that her eldest son was killed in action in Belgium. Then she received a letter from my dad saying 'all was well, miss you and love you, mom'. That generation was from a different mold. A 'roll up your sleeves' and do what must be done mold. This coming December will mark the 15th year of the death of my hero, my dad. I miss him more andmore each and every day that passes. I wish I could be one-tenth of the man he was, but that is one prayer that will never be answered. RIP, my hero.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

thirrdegreetusker

On the 50th anniversary, speaking on the shores of Normandy:

Oh, they may walk with a little less spring in their step, and their ranks are growing thinner, but let us never forget; when they were young, these men saved the world.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on June 07, 2013, 02:12:29 pm
On the 50th anniversary, speaking on the shores of Normandy:

Oh, they may walk with a little less spring in their step, and their ranks are growing thinner, but let us never forget; when they were young, these men saved the world.

Amen.
Go Hogs Go!

thefisher

Quote from: PonderinHog on June 06, 2013, 11:11:19 pm
I got to spend some time with my dad this week.  While he didn't participate in the Normandy invasion, he did see action in the Pacific.  He'll turn 97 in July and whoever said, "they don't make them like they used to" was right.  Heroes, all of them.

Hey PonderinHog-

Very cool about your dad. I have a suggestion that you, or others, might find interesting if you haven't already done it.

My wife's uncle was part of the Normandy invasion force. He passed away about three years ago. However, several years before his death we realized the value of his memories to the family. We flew her and one of our kids out to see him and her aunt for a week. During that time she sat down several times with them in front of a video camera. She would just ask open ended questions about his memories. He would  expound on what he remembered. It often piggy backed into additional memories he had not thought of in decades.

All tallied we probably got about 6 hours of him sharing the first hand accounts of what he saw and experienced at the Normandy invasion and months following.

It would be hard to put a value on what that video means to the family. However, it is fair to say that we consider it very precious. It is even more true now that he has passed away.

Anywayzzzz..... just something we had done. I thought I should share the idea with you. If you have not done something similar with your dad I thought it might be worth doing while you can.

I am sure I speak for most folks on Hogville when I say that I would appreciate you telling your dad, "thanks".  His sacrifice is very much appreciated!
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on June 07, 2013, 02:02:54 pm
100% agree....if the children, grand children and great grand children of the Greatest Generation had to do what they did in 1941-1945, well, we'd all be speaking German right now. Here's to my then 18 year old pops who fought in that war, was in the Battle of the Bulge, was declared dead and my grand ma got THE VISIT on the rural family farm in SW Arkansas along with THE LETTER letting her know that her eldest son was killed in action in Belgium. Then she received a letter from my dad saying 'all was well, miss you and love you, mom'. That generation was from a different mold. A 'roll up your sleeves' and do what must be done mold. This coming December will mark the 15th year of the death of my hero, my dad. I miss him more andmore each and every day that passes. I wish I could be one-tenth of the man he was, but that is one prayer that will never be answered. RIP, my hero.

Amen, brother. Lost my Dad, 6 years ago and he a was a part of that Atlantic Armada that took back Europe. Good bless him, twice decorated for valor, twice decorated with the Purple Heart and yet he never quit or said "send me home". I have to wonder how many would say that in this day, though my hat is off to all who serve in this time and era.
Go Hogs Go!

southarkhog06

We wouldn't do it today.
theres way too much ERMAHGERD!!!!!!! WAR IS BAD!!!!!!!!!!!! SOLDIERS ARE KILLERS!!!!!!!!!! AMERICA IS A BULLY!!!!!!!!!!!!! bs around today, to pull off what they did back then. thank the 60's and 70's for that, just sayin.

southarkhog06

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on June 07, 2013, 11:35:29 am
NO...not even close.  Remember...we ran out of missiles in just the Kuwait war. 

Sadly, without getting too political here, now that we've turned from being a "manufacturing nation" and moved a lot of that overseas, the bigger question would be whether or not we even have enough private sector manufacturing facilities in the US to convert to manufacturing military necessities to keep up, without having to physically build more.   :(   
we have the manpower and resources it would take a huge overhaul of govt. and oversight practices. there are so many ppl who get paid by the govt to not really do anything, and just general corruption that would have to be sorted out to fix those problems. not too mention the training overhaul the fighting men would need to switch from fighting against a guerrilla insurgency, to fighting against an organized military.

Root66

Quote from: southarkhog06 on June 07, 2013, 07:45:04 pm
theres way too much ERMAHGERD!!!!!!! WAR IS BAD!!!!!!!!!!!! SOLDIERS ARE KILLERS!!!!!!!!!! AMERICA IS A BULLY!!!!!!!!!!!!! bs around today, to pull off what they did back then. thank the 60's and 70's for that, just sayin.

You can add the 80s, 90s and the 21st Century years to thank for it also... the longer it goes, the worse it gets.

AFWarrior83

Being in the military and having an idea of what these brave souls went through, it makes me feel grateful for the sacrifices they made to liberate Europe and keep America free. I don't think (and hope) there will ever be another generation so courageous. How many lives were lost during WWII? Millions...think about that for a minute. Wow!
Hogville member since 2005.

RedSkiesAtNightHog

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on June 07, 2013, 02:02:54 pm

Ok, great story, but I need to hear the end of it!  How and why was your Dad declared dead when he was very much alive? 

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 07, 2013, 04:14:57 pm
Amen, brother. Lost my Dad, 6 years ago and he a was a part of that Atlantic Armada that took back Europe. Good bless him, twice decorated for valor, twice decorated with the Purple Heart and yet he never quit or said "send me home". I have to wonder how many would say that in this day, though my hat is off to all who serve in this time and era.
and I would venture a guess, that your dad, like mine, really didn't talk about the specifics of what he endured and saw during his service in WWII

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: RedSkiesAtNightHog on June 08, 2013, 12:35:27 pm
Ok, great story, but I need to hear the end of it!  How and why was your Dad declared dead when he was very much alive?
great story ? fella, its the bottom line truth...if you want to know the whole experience through my dad's eyes....my dad wrote a book, "INFANTRYMAN AT THE FRONT"  Vantage Press, Copyright 1959  Library of Congress Catalog Card: 59-14289   you can read it all for yourself

dhornjr1

I have been a World War II buff since I was a child. The sacrifices these guys made always made me so proud to be an American. A particular area of interest for me was D-Day.

When I was around eleven or twelve years old, probably 1983 or 1984, my dad and I were eating breakfast at a local diner and he started talking to a couple of guys that he was friendly with who were in WWII.

I had on my 101st Airborne  "Screaming Eagles" t-shirt and I had no idea that these guys were member of the 101st who had parachuted into Normandy on June 6. One of the gentlemen looked up at me from the table and saw my shirt. He looked at his dining companion and pointed at the shirt.

A big smile broke out across both of their faces. They were both so proud that such a young guy was paying homage to them and their brothers in the 101st.

I'll never forget that.

RedSkiesAtNightHog

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on June 08, 2013, 12:48:02 pm
great story ? fella, its the bottom line truth...if you want to know the whole experience through my dad's eyes....my dad wrote a book, "INFANTRYMAN AT THE FRONT"  Vantage Press, Copyright 1959  Library of Congress Catalog Card: 59-14289   you can read it all for yourself

Wow, I never questioned that the story about your Dad was true, I just commented that it was a great story!  As in amazing that someone could be declared dead when they were actually alive.  That's why I wanted you to finish the story. 

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: AFWarrior83 on June 08, 2013, 08:15:46 am
Being in the military and having an idea of what these brave souls went through, it makes me feel grateful for the sacrifices they made to liberate Europe and keep America free. I don't think (and hope) there will ever be another generation so courageous. How many lives were lost during WWII? Millions...think about that for a minute. Wow!

About 50 million, world-wide. One in every 300 US citizens was killed. In Russia, it was one in ten.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: dhornjr1 on June 08, 2013, 01:38:59 pm
I have been a World War II buff since I was a child. The sacrifices these guys made always made me so proud to be an American. A particular area of interest for me was D-Day.

When I was around eleven or twelve years old, probably 1983 or 1984, my dad and I were eating breakfast at a local diner and he started talking to a couple of guys that he was friendly with who were in WWII.

I had on my 101st Airborne  "Screaming Eagles" t-shirt and I had no idea that these guys were member of the 101st who had parachuted into Normandy on June 6. One of the gentlemen looked up at me from the table and saw my shirt. He looked at his dining companion and pointed at the shirt.

A big smile broke out across both of their faces. They were both so proud that such a young guy was paying homage to them and their brothers in the 101st.

I'll never forget that.

I often wonder if, even today, our enemies keep real close track of exactly where the 101st Airborne is.