Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas Ain't Alone

Started by hoghiker, September 22, 2017, 11:37:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hoghiker

I've been listening to the Finebaum show quite a bit lately(okay I'm stupid) and a couple of things are real clear. Florida, Tennessee, A&M, Auburn and LSU fan bases are all mad. At first I was listening to get the broader view of the SEC toward Arkansas but eventually got around to just listening for a wiretap into the lives of people crazy about football. I mean crazy as in delusional. Is it the Saban effect (more powerful than the butterfly effect) or is the SEC just drowning in too much money. Arkansas has its fair share of crazies. Not sure we can hold a candle to other SEC fan bases. Arkansas fans are unhappy. We ain't alone. Crazy seems to be the normal.

Razorbackers

LSU fired a coach that averaged almost 10 wins a year because he couldn't beat Saban.

Malzahn went to a natty a few years back.

Florida literally won their conference.

Butch Jones has won 8-9 games a year in his time at Tennessee.

Sumlin has averaged 9 wins.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Razorbackers on September 22, 2017, 11:41:22 am
LSU fired a coach that averaged almost 10 wins a year because he couldn't beat Saban.

Not as a HC....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Poker_hog

Quote from: hoghiker on September 22, 2017, 11:37:34 am
I've been listening to the Finebaum show quite a bit lately(okay I'm stupid) and a couple of things are real clear. Florida, Tennessee, A&M, Auburn and LSU fan bases are all mad. At first I was listening to get the broader view of the SEC toward Arkansas but eventually got around to just listening for a wiretap into the lives of people crazy about football. I mean crazy as in delusional. Is it the Saban effect (more powerful than the butterfly effect) or is the SEC just drowning in too much money. Arkansas has its fair share of crazies. Not sure we can hold a candle to other SEC fan bases. Arkansas fans are unhappy. We ain't alone. Crazy seems to be the normal.

Last time around outsiders thought we were crazy for getting rid of Nutt after two relatively good seasons.  Now outsider think we're crazy for not firing a coach that can't win.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

Poker_hog

Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

HogPharmer

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

HogPharmer

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Poker_hog on September 22, 2017, 11:45:00 am
Yes he did.

Thought you meant "won" a natty.   There are tons of alsorans in the NC games. 

HogPharmer

Yes, the entire SEC is down this year. There's Alabama, and maybe Mississippi State (we'll see this weekend how they fare against UGA), and then there's everyone else. I think most feel that even with the SEC being overall not very good this year, Arkansas STILL can't compete in the conference. That's what makes our situation even worse.

JohnnyJohn

Quote from: DLUXHOG on September 22, 2017, 11:49:08 am
There are tons of alsorans in the NC games.

Alsorans like Saban last year and Dabo the year before....

rzrbackramsfan

Unfortunately, I think where we are alone in regards to those other fanbases, are that we have a massive buyout on our coach.  So they can actually go a new direction and we can't. 

HamSammich

To be fair there is only one also ran a year. And there have only been 15 also rans this century. Also rans < a ton

Hogwild

That was almost 10 years ago

DLUXHOG

Quote from: HamSammich on September 22, 2017, 11:54:11 am
To be fair there is only one also ran a year. And there have only been 15 also rans this century. Also rans < a ton

Wait, what?..., you didn't exist in the 20th century?

Hoggie17

Quote from: HogPharmer on September 22, 2017, 11:50:05 am
Yes, the entire SEC is down this year. There's Alabama, and maybe Mississippi State (we'll see this weekend how they fare against UGA), and then there's everyone else. I think most feel that even with the SEC being overall not very good this year, Arkansas STILL can't compete in the conference. That's what makes our situation even worse.
SEC 2016... Except for 1 team, the rest lost 4 or more games
SEC 2015... Except for 1 team, the rest lost 3 or more games, most had 4 or more loses.

1998 until 2012  The SEC was good.

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: HogPharmer on September 22, 2017, 11:50:05 am

It's literally the Saban Effect (if that's a thing now).  The SEC minus Bama is looking vulnerable and any team can lose that game that everyone picks them to win.  Bama has literally cornered the market and shows no sign of slowing down.  Until the other teams can recruit players that are by size standards GROWN MEN, the rest of the SEC will continue to seem pedestrian or beatable to the CFB Nation. 

If MSU loses to UGA then it's a wrap for the Bulldogs and all the hype around Vandy will 99.9% end this weekend.  Here's to the Hogs winning and making it interesting going forward...

HamSammich

Quote from: DLUXHOG on September 22, 2017, 12:06:42 pm
Wait, what?..., you didn't exist in the 20th century?

Doesn't really matter my age.. the BCs started in 98. So hey you got me.
There are 17 also rans in the history of championship games.

Suidae Suis Scrofa

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on September 22, 2017, 11:53:08 am
Unfortunately, I think where we are alone in regards to those other fanbases, are that we have a massive buyout on our coach.

Here's what I can find on the other coaches' buyouts:

Ed Orgeron - $12,000,000
Kevin Sumlin - $11,250,000
Guz Malzahn - $8,950,000   
Butch Jones -  $8,000,000
Jim McElwain - $9,375,000

Some of these are from late 2016 so may be out of date.  I'd be willing to wage $5 that none of the Hogville regulars think that $8M+ is anything but a massive amount of money.

my sources:
http://247sports.com/college/texas-am/Bolt/Texas-AM-owes-Kevin-Sumlin-hefty-buyout-if-fired-106930470
http://gridironnow.com/butch-jones-buyout-john-currie-tennessee/2/
http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/auburnauthority/2016/09/18/13795-million-decision-potential-buyout-analysis-gus-malzahn-his-staff/90623234/
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2016/10/26/college-football-coach-salary-database-buyouts-kirk-ferentz-iowa-charlie-strong-texas/92417648/
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/lsu-coach-ed-orgeron-has-a-hefty-buyout-clause-in-his-contract/

-phil

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Suidae Suis Scrofa on September 22, 2017, 12:11:27 pm
Here's what I can find on the other coaches' buyouts:

Ed Orgeron - $12,000,000
Kevin Sumlin - $11,250,000
Guz Malzahn - $8,950,000   
Butch Jones -  $8,000,000
Jim McElwain - $9,375,000

Some of these are from late 2016 so may be out of date.  I'd be willing to wage $5 that none of the Hogville regulars think that $8M+ is anything but a massive amount of money.

my sources:
http://247sports.com/college/texas-am/Bolt/Texas-AM-owes-Kevin-Sumlin-hefty-buyout-if-fired-106930470
http://gridironnow.com/butch-jones-buyout-john-currie-tennessee/2/
http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/auburnauthority/2016/09/18/13795-million-decision-potential-buyout-analysis-gus-malzahn-his-staff/90623234/
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2016/10/26/college-football-coach-salary-database-buyouts-kirk-ferentz-iowa-charlie-strong-texas/92417648/
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/lsu-coach-ed-orgeron-has-a-hefty-buyout-clause-in-his-contract/

-phil

Really good research.  It shows that Long wasn't the only AD that gave a coach a big buyout and when CBB did get that buyout, things actually did look pretty promising. 

I would argue though, that if those are from late 2016, following this season, they'll all be pretty low buyouts.  I think the buyout decreases every year by about the coaches salary, so take their buyout at the end of last season that you provided, subtract their salary this season, and that will be their buy out at the end of the year.  So I would think they'll all be 4 million at the end of the year.  Except for probably Ed O, i don't think he make that much, his will probably be around $8 Million.  Bret's will be 11.4MM Jan1, 2018. 

Hog Fan...DOH!

Ugg, the southern sky just landed on my head. 

Redhogs

Ha..ha..would love for an also ran, any also ran, to get us to a NC game. Ah, some of the logic on here, total lack of perspective.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Suidae Suis Scrofa

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on September 22, 2017, 12:19:34 pm

I would argue though, that if those are from late 2016, following this season, they'll all be pretty low buyouts.
The numbers for Sumlin, Jones and Orgeron are all from 2017.  In fact the first two are from articles (see my previous post) that have come out this month.

-phil

Inhogswetrust

Heck all fanbases are mad except Bama's.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

al_pigcino

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Suidae Suis Scrofa on September 22, 2017, 12:30:31 pm
The numbers for Sumlin, Jones and Orgeron are all from 2017.  In fact the first two are from articles (see my previous post) that have come out this month.

-phil

So 2017 as in this season, but most likely drops by their salary after 2017 like ours.   

hoghiker

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 22, 2017, 12:49:23 pm
Heck all fanbases are mad except Bama's.
This is true and the BAMA fans I know will be disappointed, ala mad, if they don't win the national championship. I'm wondering what has taken the fun out of football for a lot of folks. I understand the frustration of Hog fans, I got my own, but I can't ever remember so many SEC fan bases being so riled up at one time. Might just be my historical ignorance.

Razorbackers

Razorbackers

Quote from: hoghiker on September 22, 2017, 01:05:46 pm
This is true and the BAMA fans I know will be disappointed, ala mad, if they don't win the national championship. I'm wondering what has taken the fun out of football for a lot of folks. I understand the frustration of Hog fans, I got my own, but I can't ever remember so many SEC fan bases being so riled up at one time. Might just be my historical ignorance.

I think you're right. And all these young bama fans have grown up in the long summer. But Saban is old. And winter is coming. He won't be around forever.

Swestwill66

Quote from: GunnerHawg70 on September 22, 2017, 12:09:39 pm
It's literally the Saban Effect (if that's a thing now).  The SEC minus Bama is looking vulnerable and any team can lose that game that everyone picks them to win.  Bama has literally cornered the market and shows no sign of slowing down.  Until the other teams can recruit players that are by size standards GROWN MEN, the rest of the SEC will continue to seem pedestrian or beatable to the CFB Nation. 

If MSU loses to UGA then it's a wrap for the Bulldogs and all the hype around Vandy will 99.9% end this weekend.  Here's to the Hogs winning and making it interesting going forward...

Yeah, Auburn,LSU, Florida, aTm, Tennessee need to recruit better. Lol

jgphillips3

Quote from: hoghiker on September 22, 2017, 01:05:46 pm

Right now, the SEC sucks compared to just four or five years ago.  Thus, everyone is saying, "if we can't win while the league is down, what happens when everyone else gets good again?"  Not to mention, Saban's level of dominance is unprecedented even by Bama standards. 

RazorbackAlways

Bielemas got nothing on those coaches. They are all way better than him.

311Hog

Quote from: Razorbackers on September 22, 2017, 01:27:46 pm
I think you're right. And all these young bama fans have grown up in the long summer. But Saban is old. And winter is coming. He won't be around forever.

Gumps never pay their debts.

rickfahr

Let me know when our alsoran gets to a national title game. Hell, let me know when he gets to an SEC championship game. Hell, let me know when he finishes in the top three of our division.

hvsupastar

Well next time we should hire an alsoran
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

HognitiveDissonance

I remember listening to the call-in shows in Knoxville in 1992 after our epic upset win over #4 Tennessee. Todd Wright's FG at the end.
I had never heard such vitriol. My distinct impression at the time was the Arkansas fans were tame compared to that. It was brutal.
I believe UT's discontent with Johnny Majors had been building for a while, and it wasn't long before Fulmer was in place. But still, that was nasty stuff.

BigE_23

Tells me that we're going to have competition in the coaching search if Long pulls the trigger.

DLUXHOG

BigE_23

Quote from: DLUXHOG on September 22, 2017, 02:14:27 pm
Wake up pardner....

Telling me to wake up when you "misread" the post? Got it.

And btw, I modified my post after I saw that you admitted your mistake.

ShadowHawg

root_hawg

I know Bama is number 1 but they are not typical Bama team.  No pass rush, defense not as great as times before.

DeltaBoy

The Rest of the Nation doesn't want us to be successful. They hated Us and Bobby cause we were winning too much. No one outside of our state wants us to return to the level we were in the 60's and 70's .
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogsanity

We are not alone because every year very few teams live up to the hype or expectations ( usually grounded in no reality at all ) of the fans.

But, also over estimated is discontent among the entire fan base based on the few who bother to call radio shows or post on message boards. 

And, we all know at the end of the day the only discontent that matters is among big $ boosters and how that might impact the bottom line.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

BallHog1

Quote from: hogsanity on September 22, 2017, 02:44:50 pm
We are not alone because every year very few teams live up to the hype or expectations ( usually grounded in no reality at all ) of the fans.

But, also over estimated is discontent among the entire fan base based on the few who bother to call radio shows or post on message boards. 

And, we all know at the end of the day the only discontent that matters is among big $ boosters and how that might impact the bottom line.
This, the discontent is way over estimated due to the ridiculous over-posting from the few who love to see themselves in print....saying the same thing...over.. and over...and over...

hogsanity

Quote from: BallHog1 on September 22, 2017, 03:04:47 pm
This, the discontent is way over estimated due to the ridiculous over-posting from the few who love to see themselves in print....saying the same thing...over.. and over...and over...

Yea, how many times can someone post fire Long or BB cant get it done.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Al Boarland

Quote from: jgphillips3 on September 22, 2017, 01:41:24 pm
Right now, the SEC sucks compared to just four or five years ago.  Thus, everyone is saying, "if we can't win while the league is down, what happens when everyone else gets good again?"  Not to mention, Saban's level of dominance is unprecedented even by Bama standards.

The SEC is plagued with bad coaching hires. Everyone says it's the Saban Effect, but if the only team programs were losing to was Bama there would be a little more patience. Everyone is getting paid 10+ win money, but everyone can't win 10+ games.

hogsanity

Quote from: Al Boarland on September 22, 2017, 03:21:00 pm
The SEC is plagued with bad coaching hires. Everyone says it's the Saban Effect, but if the only team programs were losing to was Bama there would be a little more patience. Everyone is getting paid 10+ win money, but everyone can't win 10+ games.

So what do you do, go out and hire some no body for 2mil? There are not a lot of coaches out there winning 10+ every year so not a lot of coaches worth 10+ win money.

Porkchop#1

How many times does LSU play bama each year?  About a 1/4 of all of CBB's SEC wins came at Lester's expense.  Miles was fired for much more than just not beating Saban.

RedRazorHog

"I've found that prayers work best when you have Big Players"

--Knute Rockne

nwahogfan1

I do not have a problem with getting beat by Bama but I do not like getting beat by 50+ by anyone much less Auburn and then to get beat by Mo. when they are way down right now.