Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is the Glass Really Half-full?

Started by SuperHog, July 06, 2006, 09:54:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperHog

A lot of other posters seem to voice their opinions in "columns" so, here's what I've posted on my latest blog.  Hate it, love it...I don't care either way, it's just my opinion

Is the Glass Really Half-full

As everyone knows, I spend a lot of time on Razorback message boards looking for any type of news/rumors/whatever will hold my interest. (It's July, there's nothing going on) As I'm looking at woopig and hogville, I'm noticing many posters are writing that this year could be a 10 win season including a win over the mighty USC Trojans; hey, I'm all for it, but I think there's a better chance of me getting a 200% raise on my current salary than the Hogs winning 10 games this season. There are too many unknowns about the upcoming season. Granted, the Hogs bring back the most starters of any team in the SEC, (19) and this past recruiting class was one of the best of at least the past 15 years. However, the Hogs have NO proven QB-you've got Robert Johnson, who lost the starting job half way thru the '05 season to true Freshman Casey Dick. Dick performed pretty well considering his circumstances, but he was injured in spring ball and is still not taking part in the un-supervised passing drills. That leaves Mustain...While I think Mustain is the future of Razorback Football, you can't throw him to the lions, or the Trojans in his first collegiate game ever.

Unknown #2 is arguably the most talked about new offensive coordinator in Hog football history. I don't know much about Gus Malzahn, except he's won everywhere he's been, including Hughes(who has sucked since he left). The man may be a football genius, but he has yet to see one down of action as a D-1 OC. Now, genius or not, it's a heck of a jump from Springdale High to SEC Saturdays. I hope he proves me wrong early into the USC game.

Now, don't take this the wrong way, I'm not predicting doom and gloom for a 3rd straight season, but there's not enough Budweiser in St. Louis to make me believe the Hogs will win 10 this year...But if they do, you better believe that my glass will be more than half full and making a toast to the Hogs!
Where is the outrage over the lack of an investigation by the UA into harassment of a student-athlete by a booster with EXTREMELY close personal ties to the head coach and his brother?  Instead we pay the brother $175K to act like a coach, be closely involved with the team, and occupy the same office even though he RESIGNED for "health" reasons.

bythelake

I have to agree with your post and I will be glad to have a glass(I mean bottle) of wine and will add a heaping helping of crow to go with it.

Factual Fiction

JIHawg

It's a good piece, and reasonable.  After eight years, and many of them we have had false hope, (Matt's sophomore year, Matt's jr year, the post Matt year,).  We've been led to a dry hole before, and just don't trust there will be water there until we see it.

CiriusPorker

I'd say the glass is actually about 3/4 full...or 1/4 empty...

HatfieldHog

Well, I guess it's in the eyes of the beholder, as to whether you see the glass half full, or half empty.  I look at this upcoming year, and I see great opportunities, some totally dark moments (sept.2), and some unsertain things in the middle.  It all hinges on QB play!  That's as small and as large as it gets.  The O-line can be stellar, and we'll hand off well enough to beat the nobodies, and play close games with the somebodies, but you'll never beat the somebodies without adequate QB play!  If we don't have an effective passing game, we will go 6-6 or 7-5. If we pull a passing game out of the hat, we can go 7-5 to 9-3. 

I fully agree with the origionator of this thread.  I've been fed too many, "...well, Paul, we're just one play away..." and "...we're just that close..."  I, simply do not believe it until I see it, when it comes to HDN.
Some of you are probably gonna puke on me for this, but I'll say it anyway!  I won't believe that Gus is calling the game himself until I see Nutt over with the Defensive huddle on the sideline, giving them instruction, when our offence is on the field.  Again, I put as much stock in the rehtoric that comes out of the Broyles Complex, as I do the stuff that comes out of the Presidential Press Briefings!  Spin and denial.

I may be seen as a naysayer, but no more hyped expectations for me, until I see it develop on the field.  Not "potential" but WINS!

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

WindyCityHog

whatsshakinbacon

What color kool-aid is in the glass?

Bacon out...

GrizzledHogFan

Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

silvertip

I see the glass 63.6% full with the possibility of 81.3% full going into next season IF the Hawgs win 8.7 or more games this year in the regular season.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: gmb_79 on July 07, 2006, 05:52:15 am
Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on July 07, 2006, 01:51:09 am
What color kool-aid is in the glass?

Bacon out...

Red, of course.

But is it the cherry red, or the strawberry red??
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

WindyCityHog

DriveByHogger

First off the glass is twice as large as it needs to be, having said that I think anything less than nine wins is underachieving, even for HDN. I really only see two games that we should lose Southern Cal and AU. I figure HDN will find a way to lose another to either LSU, USC or UT.
She ain't revved 'till the rods are thrown!

SuperHog

Where is the outrage over the lack of an investigation by the UA into harassment of a student-athlete by a booster with EXTREMELY close personal ties to the head coach and his brother?  Instead we pay the brother $175K to act like a coach, be closely involved with the team, and occupy the same office even though he RESIGNED for "health" reasons.

Oklahawg

George Carlin said to get a smaller glass. I think that's the worst thing for Hog fans. It signals resignation that big dreams are no longer possible for UA fans. Uh, hogwash.

There is a dynamic involved in all athletics that none of us can accurately guage until it is the 800-pound monster sitting on the sofa in your living room, forcing you to address it's presence: chemistry.

There are veteran posters around here who agree with me (and some who don't!) that a big factor in the 2003 meltdown (aka, "Oh for October") was inner-team turmoil. If accurate, it tore apart the best shot UA had at a BCS game under HDN.

To recap: Big Shawn and Jason Peters had quit going to class altogether while non-starters were disciplined for missing classes. The QB controversy had scuttlebutt of white vs. black. I thought that was reasonable, but now think it was simpler than that: Sorahan worked his tail off for the team. MJ? Not so much. Just a couple items from that turmoil.

HDN generally does his best with young teams that (by definition, I suppose) respond to his charismatic coaching style.

Chemistry will explain how smoothly Gus + Alex are integrated into the HDN system.  Do the anticipated (requisite?) changes happen with method and structure, indicating that all involved understand the need to transition rather than be a light switch?

Chemistry will explain how seamless the QB battle plays out. Does the play of the team reflect uncertainty, or does the team just play, letting the QB situation resolve itself the way it should--on the field (practice and game)?

Chemistry wil explain how hard the team fights the first time they have their backs against a wall. Do they perceive a staff that is coasting, or standing shoulder to shoulder ready to do battle?
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

fullfan

Arkansas plays 4 games against teams that are preseason top 15 or top 20 in the country.  USC, Alabama, Auburn, LSU

Arkansas is unranked - although thought to be much improved.

Where in the world does all of the "ought to be 9 wins nothing less will do" optimism come from?

We could be much improved and still not beat the top 20 teams we play.   Even those non-top 25 teams we play in conference are never gimme's.  I am not wanting to lower expectations (fantasies) but hey reality is that all signs point to a much better situation than we had last year and I am all for winning them all but there are a lot of folks getting carried away.  Or maybe they are just wanting to wish the bar high so that if the Hogs don't achieve it they can have another reason to be down on the team/coach.