Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What are the goals for our football team?

Started by Razorback_Z71, July 06, 2006, 03:48:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorback_Z71

What are the goals for our football team?  I don't want to say anything bad about our coaching staff, but it has been a long time since I have hear anyone on the team or coaching staff give us a set of goals that we are going to achieve.  All I keep hearing is " were going to try to make it to a bowl game this year".  If this is suppose to be our team's goal, would you consider it acceptable?  When was the last time you heard anyone on the team or coaching staff mention anything about a national championship?  It would be nice to hear someone say " our goal is to be able compete for a national championship with in the next 3 to 4 years".  At least this lets me know we have some sort of long term goal in which we can measure our progress.  If you were to talk to any coach or play from a successful program, they would be able to tell you their goal for the upcoming season. For example, every year Bob Stoops, Mac Brown, Pete Carrol, and even all of their players will publicly state " Our goal is to be able to compete for the national championship this year".   When was the last time we have hear anything like that from a player on our team?   

My point is... if you don't have any goals, you will accomplish nothing.  A person without goals has no sense of where the team is at and what is needed to improve on. Goals give you a sense of direction and makes people accountable for what they do and don't do.

Has anyone else heard anything different?

Hollywood_HOGan

Haven't you heard?

Nutt says we're going to a bowl baby!!!

Shreveport here we come!

cbjagman

I agree that something more concrete should be established concerning the goals of the team. That being said, it appears that the main one set by Houston is to merely "love that helmet". LOL

Atreyu

I'd be happy with 9-3, and a close loss to USC.
1 by 1, we loaded our guns
up on the mountain all day
and all through the night
HEYHEYHEY

hogsNbeer

"National Championship under construction"- Houston Dale       :puke:

8 years later--we're no where near that construction SITE!

Any goal related speech from Dale, would be that, a speech.......

monticello_hog

The hogs have 6 give me wins (i hope). Utah State, Vandy, Se MO ST, Ole Miss, ULM, Miss State, 3 of which are sec games. USC is beatable, because of it is the first game of the year (new qb, rb's, top wr amy miss game, 3 new o-line starters, and new guys on defense) and the game will be sold at dw stadium, and USC beat us 70-17 last year, but USC will still be in the top 5 Sept. 2. Bama lost a lot, and the game is at Arkansas early in the season. Auburn will be the toughest game on the schedule in my opinion, but we get two weeks to get ready and the game is sandwhiced in between S.Carolina and Florida which could in away benifit the hogs. We go to S. Carolina and this could be a test, but is a week after the ULM game, while South Carolina comes off the Tenn. game and play Florida the nest week. Tenn is in Arkansas, but still will be a tough test, but is a very winable game for the Hogs. THen of course LSU comes into Little Rock, and the SEC West may come down to that game.

I think the shedule is tough, but works out in the Hogs favor. At least 9 wins and At least 5 to 6 SEC wins putting the hogs in good shape in the sec west race, and a top 20 finish.  :razorback:

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: hogsNbeer on July 06, 2006, 04:17:54 pm
"National Championship under construction"- Houston Dale       :puke:

Hey hey hey, lets not get crazy, HDN has said several times we are just focused on getting to a bowl game this year.  Thats 6-6......  Start small.....baby steps guys. 

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: monticello_hog on July 06, 2006, 05:35:45 pm
The hogs have 6 give me wins (i hope). Utah State, Vandy, Se MO ST, Ole Miss, ULM, Miss State, 3 of which are sec games. USC is beatable, because of it is the first game of the year (new qb, rb's, top wr amy miss game, 3 new o-line starters, and new guys on defense) and the game will be sold at dw stadium, and USC beat us 70-17 last year, but USC will still be in the top 5 Sept. 2. Bama lost a lot, and the game is at Arkansas early in the season. Auburn will be the toughest game on the schedule in my opinion, but we get two weeks to get ready and the game is sandwhiced in between S.Carolina and Florida which could in away benifit the hogs. We go to S. Carolina and this could be a test, but is a week after the ULM game, while South Carolina comes off the Tenn. game and play Florida the nest week. Tenn is in Arkansas, but still will be a tough test, but is a very winable game for the Hogs. THen of course LSU comes into Little Rock, and the SEC West may come down to that game.

I think the shedule is tough, but works out in the Hogs favor. At least 9 wins and At least 5 to 6 SEC wins putting the hogs in good shape in the sec west race, and a top 20 finish.  :razorback:

Might want to wait till that game is over before titling them a gimmie.

scorekeeper

I think you main goal each year should be to do better than what you did the last year.  Just think if we started out 0-11 8 years ago all we should have left is 4 more years for a perfect record.  I think we are still on pace.  

I see the team winning at least 8.  Possibly 9.  With a few good calls and field goals 10.  
We will see a big improvement.
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

ClubChubby

I did hear recently someone new to the program say he hopes gus will have part of his offense installed by the '07 season.

YeeeeeeHaw!!!!

HatfieldHog

Quote from: scorekeeper on July 06, 2006, 05:49:01 pm
I think you main goal each year should be to do better than what you did the last year.  Just think if we started out 0-11 8 years ago all we should have left is 4 more years for a perfect record.  I think we are still on pace.  

I see the team winning at least 8.  Possibly 9.  With a few good calls and field goals 10.  
We will see a big improvement.

First of all, our goals should be realistic!  According to your comment, "With a few field goals,"  well, that settles that, have you seen our kickers?  This team should go 7-5 IMO.  Better than this, and we are just lucky.  I know that this is not what some people want to hear, but it is realistic.  If I were HDN, I think that I'd set the goal of 8-4 and a new years day bowl.  We might pull that off!

Reality hurts, but it is the current condition of Hogs Football

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

bythelake

My goal for this up coming year is that college football will have to establish a mercy rule because of how badly we beat every team.  Is that a lofty enough goal? lol.

Really, there is no reason why we shouldn't win 10 games this year.  All depends on how well the QB's progress wether it be CD or MM.   The field goal kicker situation worries me also.   

WilsonHog

(1) A minimum of 5-3 in the SEC and 8-4 overall in a 12 game regular season. In an 11 game regular season, 8-3.   

(2) A Top 25 finish.

(3) A bowl win.

Those are my minimum expectations for each year, regardless of who the coach is. Just because a man is born into poverty doesn't mean he has to live his life there. 

hogsNbeer

Quote from: TulsaHogFan on July 06, 2006, 05:43:01 pm
Quote from: hogsNbeer on July 06, 2006, 04:17:54 pm
"National Championship under construction"- Houston Dale       :puke:

Hey hey hey, lets not get crazy, HDN has said several times we are just focused on getting to a bowl game this year.  Thats 6-6......  Start small.....baby steps guys. 

That's the problem......He's happy with a 3rd tier bowl.......I predict us to go 6-6 in the reg season.....That's not good...

John Futrall

To quote Herm Edwards:  We play to..win..the..game!!

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: mikeyg31 on July 07, 2006, 10:20:11 am
To quote Herm Edwards:  We play to..win..the..game!!

I love that quote and wish coach nutt would coach his football teams like we're playing to WIN!

That should be put up on every board in the locker room.

Instead all we get is: "If LSU is #3, what are we?" I will never ever forget that.

djgaffer

I think you should approach every season with the same set of goals, set up as a ladder, with each one allowing you to progress to the next:

1)  Win your non-conference cupcake games.
2)  Protect your home turf.  Win your home games.
3)  Qualify for a bowl game.  IE get to 6 as quick as possible.
4)  Win the SEC West
5)  Win the SEC Champinship
6)  Play in a BCS Bowl.
7)  Win the BCS Title game.

Other ancillary goals can include New Years day bowls, top 25 rankings (although I really don't like the rankings), etc. 

Idea above being you have to complete 1 before you can complete 2, then 3, etc.  They are tangible goals that you can see.  It's easy to say "eight games" or "top 25" but some of those variables aren't controllable. 

SultanofSwine

The goal should be to win everytime the team steps on the field and the work ethic and determination should be provided to move the team in this direction. As a fan we may expect to have a loss or two but it is completely unacceptable for coaches to set goals below perfection. Perfection may not be undefeated and it doesn't have to mean that at all but it does mean that the maximum attainable was reached. Going into a season promoting the idea that we are going to "make a bowl" says everything one needs to know about that coach.

Atreyu

Quote from: djgaffer on July 07, 2006, 10:28:04 am
I think you should approach every season with the same set of goals, set up as a ladder, with each one allowing you to progress to the next:

4)  Win the SEC West
6)  Play in a BCS Bowl.

Other ancillary goals can include New Years day bowls, top 25 rankings (although I really don't like the rankings), etc. 

Idea above being you have to complete 1 before you can complete 2, then 3, etc.  They are tangible goals that you can see.  It's easy to say "eight games" or "top 25" but some of those variables aren't controllable. 

5 and 6 are kind of hand in hand aren't they? If you win the SEC that automatically qualifies you for a BCS bowl.
1 by 1, we loaded our guns
up on the mountain all day
and all through the night
HEYHEYHEY

djgaffer

QuoteI think you should approach every season with the same set of goals, set up as a ladder, with each one allowing you to progress to the next:

4)  Win the SEC West
6)  Play in a BCS Bowl.

5 and 6 are kind of hand in hand aren't they? If you win the SEC that automatically qualifies you for a BCS bowl.

Yes.  I was torn on those.  I think you should value a SEC championship more than a BCS bowl game, but you can qualify for a BCS bowl game without winning the SEC.  I'll have to modify my goal list when I present to Houston and the team later.

djgaffer

QuoteGoing into a season promoting the idea that we are going to "make a bowl" says everything one needs to know about that coach.

And what exactly is wrong with "making a bowl"?  I'm sure that's not the only goal over on the hill, but it's one easily stated that a lot of people understand.  I wouldn't expect a coach to come out and say "eight wins". 

A bolder prediction would be to put the SEC West title as a goal in the paper.  I'm sure that's a goal of the football team.  But considering they're still getting hammered with the "national championship under construction" comment, why put anything in print?

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: djgaffer on July 07, 2006, 10:51:13 am
QuoteGoing into a season promoting the idea that we are going to "make a bowl" says everything one needs to know about that coach.

And what exactly is wrong with "making a bowl"?  I'm sure that's not the only goal over on the hill, but it's one easily stated that a lot of people understand.  I wouldn't expect a coach to come out and say "eight wins". 

A bolder prediction would be to put the SEC West title as a goal in the paper.  I'm sure that's a goal of the football team.  But considering they're still getting hammered with the "national championship under construction" comment, why put anything in print?

How bout instead of "we're takin yall to a bowl baby!" come out and say we are gonna go out there in 06 and lay it all on the line to win every freakin game on our schedule!

Our goal should be to win the next one.

MGCAPRI

The reason you have only heard that our goal and future goal only talks about this year wanting to achieve going to a bowl game and nothing about future years goals is because this year no matter what happens winning season or loosing season HDN has an agenda either way.

If we have a loosing season he knows he is fired. That agenda speaks for itself.

If we have a winning season he has plans to make his move for new pastures. This agenda is pretty evident itself.

Agree or disagree HDN realizes that even a winning season will not take the stress off him with the vast majority of fans that have turned on him for what has happened the last couple of years and a new beginning would give him a new start and way to do things his way and not be forced to not be able to control his own destiny. If you remember him saying this in the beginning of his Arkansas career. that he calls the plays because success or failure is in his hands then not his success left to someone else's decisions of play calling controlling his success's.

Pork Twain

4)  Win the SEC West
5)  Win the SEC Championship
6)  Play in a BCS Bowl.

I think those are great goals.  I would be happy if we set out with those goals every year and it would be great if our coaches would instill in our players that they had the ability to do it year in and year out.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

artyhog

SultanofSwine

dj, there is nothing wrong with "making a bowl" and there is nothing wrong with Shreveport IF that is the very best a given team can acomplish. The bar should however be set at perfection. The bowl,whatever bowl it is, is the end result of the season and should never imo be the goal. As many have stated the goal should be to win the next game and every ounce of energy and preparation should be directed at that objective.

For example, on paper we should not have much chance at beating SoCal and I will not be too upset if we don't win as long as we play the best we can play. That means not only the players but the coaches too.

Razorback_Z71

Quote from: SultanofSwine on July 07, 2006, 11:26:39 am
dj, there is nothing wrong with "making a bowl" and there is nothing wrong with Shreveport IF that is the very best a given team can acomplish. The bar should however be set at perfection. The bowl,whatever bowl it is, is the end result of the season and should never imo be the goal. As many have stated the goal should be to win the next game and every ounce of energy and preparation should be directed at that objective.

For example, on paper we should not have much chance at beating SoCal and I will not be too upset if we don't win as long as we play the best we can play. That means not only the players but the coaches too.

Great post Sultan.   I completely agree with you.    +1 for ya

hogsanity

Your question is what are the goals of the team.  Well, unless the team makes them known, we dont know what their goals are.  What most people put out there is what THEY want the gopals of the team to be.

Realistically, coming off back to back LOSING seasons, the goals of the team should be to win at least 8 games.  Sadly, in the SEC , that probably gets then memphis or Shreveport.  The key to setting goals is not to make them so low as they are a given, but not to set them so high that attaining them is unrealistic.  For this team, with no Qb experince to speak of, to set 10+ as a goal, is not realistic. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

SultanofSwine

Sanity, you missed it all together. Setting any number of wins as a goal should not happen period unless it is ALL OF THEM. Setting the goal at less builds in an expectation of losing as acceptable before the first snap. Setting the expectation that the team will compete in every single contest at the highest level they are cappable of should be the goal and let the W's and L's fall where they may. If they compete that way the record will take care of itself.

hogsanity

Quote from: SultanofSwine on July 07, 2006, 03:10:51 pm
Sanity, you missed it all together. Setting any number of wins as a goal should not happen period unless it is ALL OF THEM. Setting the goal at less builds in an expectation of losing as acceptable before the first snap. Setting the expectation that the team will compete in every single contest at the highest level they are cappable of should be the goal and let the W's and L's fall where they may. If they compete that way the record will take care of itself.

Did the team have a meeting and set 7 or 8 as the goal?  If not, then how do we know what their goals are?  I got the point of the post, but it is flawed by the ASSUMTION that the team has set a goal of a certain number less than 12. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE