Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What makles you think HDN is gone after 2006?

Started by JJHog, July 06, 2006, 01:21:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

What in your mind has to occur for Nutt to leave Arkansas?

Win 6 or fewer games and he's fired?
45 (39.1%)
Win 8 or more games and he leaves for another school so he can "Call that play brotha!"
25 (21.7%)
Win 7 or less games and he's fired?
24 (20.9%)
Lose the Memphis Bowl?
2 (1.7%)
Nuclear One explodes and saturates Fayetteville in a radioactive cloud and thus putting an end to the GSD?
19 (16.5%)

Total Members Voted: 0

JJHog

We will have good enough record to keep him....we  missed our chance to let him go 2 years ago.

Here's here for a while.
" Think Right, Do Right"

BKtheKing

July 06, 2006, 01:50:35 pm #1 Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 01:57:36 pm by BKtheKing
8+ wins and Dale moves on to other pastures,(lateral move at best), as he has worn out his welcome after a decade of mediocrity.  Bluegrass state if I were a bettin' man.  He was very successful at Murray State and Kentucky will be letting Rich Brookes go after this season.

7 wins or less and you can look forward to the news conference announcing Steve Kragthorpe as the new head coach of our beloved Arkansas Razorbacks.  I was hoping it would be Butch Davis but my crystal ball says he will be moving to College Station.

:razorback:

jabohog

I am afraid I will have to agree. I think Gus got a two year contract and I think Nutt is good even if there is a losing season which I don't expect. Unless Nutt takes another job, I think he is here at least this year and next. Just speculation on my part.

Donald Miller

Quote from: JJHog on July 06, 2006, 01:21:47 pm
We will have good enough record to keep him....we  missed our chance to let him go 2 years ago.

Here's here for a while.
Don't ruin it for me---without hope I have nothing. I hope you're wrong but I'll bet you're right.  We couldn't be that lucky. 

hog caller

jkeep your shirts on tight guys i think Houdston is here for the duration til he dies

BKtheKing

July 06, 2006, 02:04:42 pm #5 Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 02:08:08 pm by BKtheKing
I think he's gone no matter what.  Hopefully it won't be due to option 5 as I get hit with it as well.....

If he does go, who replaces him?  Not who do you want but who will we get????    ???

excoach

Because Butch will be available in 2007. Nutt is gone and I hope it's after a winning season and he gets a really good school to go to. I want to wish him and his crew the best of luck where ever he goes.

Razorback_Z71

HDN isn't going anywhere unless he wants to.  The Hogs will win 7 games this year and recruiting will improve.  All that being said the razorback foundation will continue to roll in the cash.

hogsNbeer

I didn't vote.....He should just be gone after the last game of the season......Peace....  He can't win enough games for me to want him back..... He wont' be in the SEC championship game, so no need to argue with me on this...

holman24

What will happen is this Frank will retire soon and Nutt will be the next AD and Malzhan will be the head coach and all this will depend on how good of a season we have this year.  If we do better than expected then Frank will leave soon but if the team doesn't do as well then they get one more year to get thing right before the move. Mark this post down it will happen.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: holman24 on July 06, 2006, 02:33:46 pm
What will happen is this Frank will retire soon and Nutt will be the next AD and Malzhan will be the head coach and all this will depend on how good of a season we have this year.  If we do better than expected then Frank will leave soon but if the team doesn't do as well then they get one more year to get thing right before the move. Mark this post down it will happen.

You want to put some money on that scenario??  I believ up until the LSU flirtation and the shoving of an OC down his throat, you would have been right, but now, no way does he want to take that job.  He still wants to coach another 5 or maybe 10 years, and if JFB is still the AD at that time, then Lord help us.  He will win enough to become attractive to another school (I agree on the KY scenario) go there to finish getting coaching out of his system, then come back as AD.  I don't know who will be the next coach, so I am not even going to go there.
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

DriveByHogger

Frank ain't leavin' till after 2008 at least. HDN should never be the A.D., if he is then we need to just give up football. My hope is that we go undefeated and win the MNC and he's either hired away or fired.
She ain't revved 'till the rods are thrown!

hogsNbeer

Quote from: 98Hog on July 06, 2006, 02:59:04 pm
I have always heard (for what it is worth, this is from various sources) that Houston is still here b/c he will be the next AD, that Dallas actually was going to come after him not that long ago to coach in the NFL (don't see that one) and that was when he was promised the AD job.  Frank will hopefully finally retire soon (2 years or less).  

For the next head coach, my money is with Butch (if he doesn't mind coming to a school that does not have the National exposure he is used too) or Gus if he does even half way decently with his offense over the next couple of years. I do believe that Nutt will be with the program for a long time to come and actually think that he would probably make a great AD.

Nutt in the NFL....That's HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!    He can't coach where he is, what would he be doing in Dallas besides being BALL boy.....  and the program will be under the TOILET if he is elected AD.......

artyhog

Should add "None of the above".  He is here to stay for ever, brotha!

Hognoxious

Houston Nutt will not be the AD at the University of Arkansas.  Not this year.  Not next year.  Not unless he wins a couple of NCs and coaches another dozen years, and probably not then either.

If this is a losing season (big "if" IMHO), there will not be enough sunshiners to light the public hanging seconds after the final gun of the losing-season-determining loss.

I do not think 6 wins will do it either.  A slightly more subdued scene than portrayed above, but no less fatal.

Eight wins will likely put us in the Cotton Bowl, and things will probably continue much as they have been - haters hate and lovers love.

Nine or more wins and many of the darksiders develop a sunnier disposition, and those who still feel the same about HDN are much more quiet.

I think these are for sure.  Seven wins is a huge question mark.  If there are only seven wins, we'll be headed for Nashville, Shreveport or (most likely, I think) Memphis.  If there are reasonable circumstances (many tranlate "excuses") and promise shown, the job might be saved.  But it would be ugly.  Anything less than a convincing bowl victory would be the last straw.

If only 7 isn't already the last straw.

I think it would be.  But I think we'll win more.

cmh_hog

You guys are foolin yourselves, JFB wont retire, no way... The only way he leaves is in a casket.

Now dont get me wrong, I like Frank, like him alot. Talked to him at great length this spring during the spring game and the man is still sharp, i dont care what anybody says about him getting old or what not, the man can still do the job. He even remembered who I was and the last time we spoke, which was 6 years prior to that.

I think he has made some mistakes in the past, not hiring JJ, etc etc. But one thing you have to admit is the guy is a living legend and just look at his legacy, our sports programs have the best facilities in the SEC and probably easily top 10 in the nation.

Now if we could only win some home games.....

What was this topic about, HDN coaching in the pro's, oh yeah that is funny! Can you imagine that, they would be the only NFL team with a 2 page playbook..

Swynler Durden

Quote from: 98Hog on July 06, 2006, 02:59:04 pm
I have always heard (for what it is worth, this is from various sources) that Houston is still here b/c he will be the next AD, that Dallas actually was going to come after him not that long ago to coach in the NFL (don't see that one) and that was when he was promised the AD job.  Frank will hopefully finally retire soon (2 years or less).  

For the next head coach, my money is with Butch (if he doesn't mind coming to a school that does not have the National exposure he is used too) or Gus if he does even half way decently with his offense over the next couple of years. I do believe that Nutt will be with the program for a long time to come and actually think that he would probably make a great AD.
I used to think that was a pretty plausible scenario (minus that whole NFL part) but now I can't see it. I really don't see HDN being willing to give up coaching any time soon. I think his ego won't allow him to step off of the sidelines. I think that he will most likely use any major success in the next few years to get himself into another postion where ha can go back to calling plays.

As far as BD is concerned, don't hold your breath. He is my first choice as well but I wonder how realistic it is. JFB and JL seem to be enamored with this system of hiring up-and-comers. I would almost bet that even if BD offered to work for minimum wage, JFB would push for someone else just to show the fans who is really in control. On top of all that, when you consider the hiring procedure the University follows and it just muddies the waters.

mossfan3

There is no way that a guy one year removed from coaching AR high school football will become a head coach.  We will win 7 or 8 games this year and probably win a bowl game and Houston will sign another extenstion. We will then turn the corner with the recent crop of instate talent and begin to recruit nationally.   God I hope at least part of this happens.

Pork Twain

July 06, 2006, 03:20:18 pm #18 Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 03:29:47 pm by Superhog1975
Less than 7 wins and I want him gone but I do not want Danny Ford, err I mean Butch Davis to replace him...

This is the guy I want leading our young men.  Let's talk about the lies you say Dale has told...

http://sports.espn.go.com/magazine/feldman_20010130.html
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

HatfieldHog

Quote from: jabohog on July 06, 2006, 01:53:53 pm
I am afraid I will have to agree. I think Gus got a two year contract and I think Nutt is good even if there is a losing season which I don't expect. Unless Nutt takes another job, I think he is here at least this year and next. Just speculation on my part.

You are exactly right!  As bad as I hated to write that, it is true.  Anytime that you install a new system, with new coaches, you need two years to make it work.  I don't believe that we get rid of Nutt unless he loses control of the team, that is the only thing that might do it.

There is another variable involved in all of this.  If Gus is successful, and his system works, he may well be one year and on to more dollars.  He has always been a head coach, and if his system says, the next Steve Spurrier, someone will offer him a head coaching job, and maybe not a lower level job either!
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

Swynler Durden

Quote from: mossfan3 on July 06, 2006, 03:19:15 pm
There is no way that a guy one year removed from coaching AR high school football will become a head coach.  We will win 7 or 8 games this year and probably win a bowl game and Houston will sign another extenstion. We will then turn the corner with the recent crop of instate talent and begin to recruit nationally.   God I hope at least part of this happens.
You're right he won't be a HC any time real soon, but from what I understand he won't be leaving here in the next THREE years no matter who else stays or goes. Supposedly the PTB think they have another McDonnell on their hands I can't see them being willing to part w/ Gus for at least three years. I suspect that any potential incoming coach in the next few years would have to accept Gus as part of the job. Kinda like HDN had to do this year. Gus is smart enough to get that guarantee on the front end.

scorekeeper

I think the team will win at least 8 games and IMO 8 games will keep Houston's job.  The downside for that is that the credit will go to Gus.  I guess Houston will think that he cant win for losing.  I don't think Houston will care about who gets the credit because Houston knows he is still cashing big checks (that he may or may not deserve).  I think that if the team wins 9 followed by another good recruiting year the football program will be back on the upside of things.  I just think people need to know that winning is a habit and losing is also.  Houston will get used to winning even if he has to ride on the passenger side to a capable coach.  I figure the coaching staff makes the head coach better and the Hogs are getting there pieces lined up.
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

hogsNbeer

Quote from: scorekeeper on July 06, 2006, 03:32:26 pm
I think the team will win at least 8 games and IMO 8 games will keep Houston's job.  The downside for that is that the credit will go to Gus.  I guess Houston will think that he cant win for losing.  I don't think Houston will care about who gets the credit because Houston knows he is still cashing big checks (that he may or may not deserve).  I think that if the team wins 9 followed by another good recruiting year the football program will be back on the upside of things.  I just think people need to know that winning is a habit and losing is also.  Houston will get used to winning even if he has to ride on the passenger side to a capable coach.  I figure the coaching staff makes the head coach better and the Hogs are getting there pieces lined up.

Still waiting for "Winning will be habitual" to come true.......It hasn't happened in 8 years, it's not going to happen until a new Compentent HC is picked......The rest is a pipe dream.......

HatfieldHog

Quote from: loanHog on July 06, 2006, 03:29:56 pm
You're right he won't be a HC any time real soon, but from what I understand he won't be leaving here in the next THREE years no matter who else stays or goes. Supposedly the PTB think they have another McDonnell on their hands I can't see them being willing to part w/ Gus for at least three years. I suspect that any potential incoming coach in the next few years would have to accept Gus as part of the job. Kinda like HDN had to do this year. Gus is smart enough to get that guarantee on the front end.

Gus Malzahn's name was a large as there was out there in up and coming H.S. guys.  He was headed for a college job, and if his offence rolls this season, someone will see just what Broyles thinks that he sees.  When you look up and see a guy that has won at every place that he has been, and is a known offensive guru, you don't want to be second in line for the next Steve Spurrier

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

mossfan3

well if spurrier could win at duke then i expect to see lil' spurrier win at arkansas this year.

hogsNbeer

Quote from: mossfan3 on July 06, 2006, 03:49:19 pm
well if spurrier could win at duke then i expect to see lil' spurrier win at arkansas this year.

I wouldn't be so quick to call him lil Spurrier...he has a long long long way to go to hold that title...I was just looking at Spurrier's Bio...... The damn list goes on and on and on..... Phenomenal......Check the link....

http://uscsports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/spurrier_steve00.html

mossfan3

that's what i was thinking.  he has a long way to go to get into spurrier territory. 

Vito Porkleone

Quote from: HatfieldHog on July 06, 2006, 03:26:08 pm

Anytime that you install a new system, with new coaches, you need two years to make it work.

Tell that to Danny Ford.  Remember Kay Stephenson?
Phil Mickelson is the new Nuke LaLouche - million dollar swing; ten cent head...

HBTHogs

Nutt isn't "leaving," until he is "promoted."  BAM!

ClubChubby

Quote from: loanHog on July 06, 2006, 03:29:56 pm

Bingo! Combine that with there isn't a name coach in the land who would ever work for frank broyles, and NOW we understand why houston on the dole nutt won't ever be fired from the university of arkansas.

I've said it many times, and I'll say it again.

We aren't going to get rid of nuutt unless we, the fans, hurt his tender widdle feewins.

We've got to run the man off.

rlamb

Mossfan, what to you mean not hire a High School Coach?  We've had one for the last 8 years.

Pork Twain

While I may think there are plenty of coaches in the NCAA that could have done a better job than HDN last year I am pretty sure none of you could have done any better.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

VoR

I said 7 or less, I really don't think a 7-6 record will cut it, and on the other end of the spectrum 8-5 is not good enough to get other teams lining up for his services, 8-5 he is back, 9-4 odds are 60/40 on staying, 10-3 or 10-4 is where the odds jump significantly on him leaving, at 11-2 or 11-3 they'll hear the sonic boom all the way in Pine Bluff from his departure.
From BC comic.
Fat Broad "What is the most flagrant oxymoron you've ever heard?"
Blond Chick "Politically correct".

You cannot brag about being selfless if you're doing it only to impress someone.

Tusks

I think HDN will be gone after the 2006 season because....god owes me one.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

hogsmaster

Whatever the final record is, Houston will do well enough (I suspect more than enough) to keep his job following the 2006 season.  I think Herring will leave before Houston will.  Once other colleges or NFL teams see how well this year defense is improved (just like NC State), someone is going to give him more money to move up the ladder.  Our defense will win us at least 2-3 games this year.

HatfieldHog

Again, solid logic in your post hogmaster.  I think that we all can see that Frank is gonna have to open the pocketbook up really wide to keep this group of assistants around!

See ya

Swynler Durden

Quote from: Superhog1975 on July 06, 2006, 09:46:23 pm
While I may think there are plenty of coaches in the NCAA that could have done a better job than HDN last year I am pretty sure none of you could have done any better.
Pretty sure none of us are claiming to be D1 coaches either. Or making 1.5 Million a years to be sub .500 in the SEC.

excoach

Frank will retire when he dies. Nutt will not be the AD. Guss will be the head coach at Ark at some point.

HatfieldHog

Quote from: loanHog on July 07, 2006, 09:52:34 am
Quote from: Superhog1975 on July 06, 2006, 09:46:23 pm
Pretty sure none of us are claiming to be D1 coaches either. Or making 1.5 Million a years to be sub .500 in the SEC.

It is amazing how that some people see logic in comparing apples with oranges!  Superhog1975 must think that we are trying to get HDN fired because we want his job.  (Yeah, Right)  The masses who look up at the high paid leaders, are the sounding block for that leader's success.
Superhog1975 must desire a socialist form of government, where men see what is going on, yet are not qualified to comment on it.  Are we qualified to comment on HDN's coaching ability?  Maybe not subjectively, for we don't see the day to day interaction on the hill, but we are qualified to comment on Job Performance!  This is determined by the "bottom line" alone!  5-6 and 4-7 is the bottom line.
I can comment on that.  5-6 & 4-7 is not 1.5 million dollar job performance!

See ya

GrizzledHogFan

I must say, I'm shocked by the number of people who think we'll win 6 or fewer games.  I guess they'll be in for a pleasant surprise.
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

southeasthog

Quote from: gmb_79 on July 07, 2006, 05:08:37 pm
I must say, I'm shocked by the number of people who think we'll win 6 or fewer games.  I guess they'll be in for a pleasant surprise.
Agreed. With CD we would win at least 7. With MM, 9 at the fewest.